Efstathios Michael > Slaughter and May > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Slaughter and May Offices
ONE BUNHILL ROW
- Go to...
Infrastructure and Energy
Efstathios is a partner with a broad-ranging international commercial litigation (including class actions), insurance and arbitration practice. He has particular expertise in a number of areas including:
On complex multi-party disputes, shareholder disputes and mass claims which often involving multiple jurisdictions. He works closely with clients and co-counsel in a range of jurisdictions, on collective proceedings and class action claims.
On a wide range of insurance cases for policyholder clients, insurers/reinsurers and brokers, including complex cases in relation to policy coverage and interpretation, aggregation, non-disclosure and misrepresentation, and brokers’ liability issues.
Efstathios is a significant and leading member of our Arbitration Group, with particular expertise in complex, high value energy sector disputes and he has conducted arbitrations under the rules of all the major arbitral institutions, including ICC, LCIA and SIAC.
Trained at Slaughter and May; qualified in 1995; partner at Slaughter and May in 2002.
Bancroft’s School, Woodford Green; Worcester College, Oxford (1992 MA Law).
Football, music, family.
Slaughter and May‘s ‘absolutely stellar practice‘ acts in major disputes for clients from the energy, infrastructure, healthcare and pharmaceuticals sectors (among others). The international arbitration group is co-led by James Stacey, who is well known for challenging commercial disputes, and ‘visionary arbitration partner‘ Damian Taylor. The team additionally fields energy disputes specialist Efstathios Michael and Jonathan Clark, who acts under the rules of major arbitral institutions. Peter Wickham and Megan Sandler were elevated to the partnership in 2021 and 2022, respectively.
Efstathios Michael at Slaughter and May approaches ‘reinsurance disputes with excellent commercial judgement and an incisive legal mind’. He continues to be highly sought after for policy coverage and interpretation, aggregation, non-disclosure and misrepresentation, and business interruption insurance. Damian Taylor, financial institutions specialist Ewan Brown and associate Nupur Upadhyay are also recommended.
- Hall of Fame - London > Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- Insurance and reinsurance litigation - London > Insurance
- International arbitration - London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employee share schemes
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+
- Employment > Pensions (non-contentious)
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Dispute resolution > Tax litigation and investigations
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – mid-large cap
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Employment > Pensions: dispute resolution
- Industry focus > TMT
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Employment > Employers
- Real estate > Environment
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Investment fund formation and management > Listed funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Industry focus > Retail and consumer
- Finance > Securitisation
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Real estate > Property finance
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Real estate > Planning
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)