Michael Briggs > Shoosmiths LLP > Nottingham, England > Lawyer Profile
Shoosmiths LLP Offices
WATERFRONT HOUSE, WATERFRONT PLAZA
35 STATION STREET
- Go to...
Michael is an experienced, emotionally intelligent and strategic Partner. He provides pragmatic, commercial and results-driven advice to a wide range of local and national clients on the whole spectrum of human resources and employment law.
At all times Michael works in absolute partnership with his HR and senior management client teams. He is a ‘go-to’ trusted adviser and gets the job done. He has significant experience in respect of complex and sensitive senior and/or group exits, redundancies and restructures; difficult absence and performance issues; whistleblowing matters; the gig economy, and also in relation to HR related data protection (including extensive data subject access requests). He also sites with the National Employment Team’s IR35, Data Protection and Financial Services sub-groups.
Michael also has a particular interest in defending Employment Tribunal claims of all types and managing client relationships for varying size employers. He has received continued instruction from a client within the tyre and vehicle service industry for in excess of 15 years.
Work of note includes:
• the successful defence in the Employment Tribunal to a complaint of unfair dismissal brought against a client in the service industry (Michael conducts his own advocacy in the Employment Tribunal and has successfully represented a number of clients at Preliminary Hearings and full Tribunal Hearings);
• the beneficial conclusion to lengthy settlement negotiations on behalf of a client who was defending claims of automatic unfair dismissal, whistleblowing and breach of contract;
• the successful conclusion and defence to claims of race discrimination and breaches of the Agency Workers Regulations 2010 following a multi-day hearing; and
• dealing with litigation within both the Employment Tribunal and the High Court in response to claims of constructive unfair dismissal and breaches of post termination restrictions.
Michael qualified as a Solicitor in September 2006 and joined Shoosmiths in May 2013.
Michael also chairs the firm’s LGBT+ Staff Network, PROUD, which launched in February 2019.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Office head Michael Briggs leads Shoosmiths LLP‘s employment offering in Nottingham; he is praised for his extensive knowledge of all aspects of employment law. Briggs chairs the CBI’s East Midlands Future Leaders Network, and is recommended for HR support, dismissals, whistleblowing matters and issues relating to the gig-economy and data protection.
- Employment - East Midlands > Employment
- Next Generation Partners - East Midlands > Employment > Employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: Nottingham and Derby
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Employment > Employment
- Employment > Immigration
- Insurance > Personal injury and clinical negligence: claimant