Mr V. Vijakumar > Albar & Partners > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Lawyer Profile
Albar & Partners Offices
Suite 14-3, Level 14, Wisma UOA Damansara II
No.6 Changkat Semantan, Damansara Heights,
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Mr V. Vijakumar
Litigation & Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Senior Partner – Administration
Vijay is one of the founding partners of Albar & Partners. He is currently the Senior Partner in charge of the firm’s administration. He heads the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) practice group. As a senior practitioner with vast experience in litigation, Vijay has conducted trials at the High Court in a broad range of civil and commercial disputes. He has also appeared as counsel before the Supreme Court (old), the Federal Court, the Court of Appeal, and arbitral tribunals in numerous complex, high stakes cases, some of which have been reported.
Vijay graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) from University of London. Vijay was called to the Bar of England & Wales in 1985 as an Utter Barrister of the Honourable Society of Middle Temple. He was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya in 1986.
Vijay’s early years in legal practice were spent as a litigator in Messrs. Sidek, Sulaiman & Sya and Messrs. Syed Alwi & Teoh. He joined Messrs. Albar, Zulkifly & Yap 1989 where he was admitted as Litigation Partner in 1993. He is one of the founding partners who established Albar & Partners. He is currently the Senior Partner in charge of the firm’s administration.
Vijay was acknowledged as a Leading Lawyer in Dispute Resolution by Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2014. He was also recognised as one of the Local Disputes Stars for Malaysia in Benchmark Asia-Pacific 2013: The Definitive Guide to the Leading Disputes Firms & Attorneys in the region. Vijay has acted for Pengurusan Danaharta Nasional Berhad and Prokhas Sdn Bhd in complicated disputes, and advised Special Administrators in insolvency and workout proposals.
He has featured in numerous reported cases as counsel for complex, high stake litigation for a diverse range of clients in various sectors. Some of Vijay’s recent cases which have been reported in the law journals and/ or which have set new legal benchmarks, include:
- Zerin Properties v. Naza TTDI Sdn Bhd (2019) 5 MLJ 300.
- Wynn Resorts (Macau) SA v. Poh Yang Hong (2019) 10 MLJ 254.
- Proton Edar Sdn Bhd v. Electric Angels (MSC) Sdn Bhd (2016) 10 MLJ 414.
- Pendaftar Hakmilik, Pejabat Pendaftaran Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur & Anor v. Poh Yang Hong (2016) 6 MLJ 413.
- NZ Galaxy Sdn Bhd v. Sinergi Ikram (M) Sdn Bhd (2016) 4 MLJ 183.
- Pendaftar Hakmilik, Pejabat Pendaftaran Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur & Anor v Poh Yang Hong (2015) 5 MLJ 830.
- Telekom Malaysia Bhd v. Eastcoast Technique (M) Sdn Bhd and another summons (2014) 11 MLJ 525.
- Eastcoast Technique (M) Sdn Bhd v. Telekom Malaysia Berhad (Arbitration matter).
- Dato’ Seri Dr. Kok Mew Soon & 3 Ors v. Mustapha Bin Mohamed & 2 Ors: (2009) 4 AMR 281 & (2008) 3 MLJ 327.
- AMMB International (L) Ltd v. Penas Holdings Sdn Bhd (2005) 2 MLJ 509.
- Perdana Merchants Bankers Bhd (dahulunya dikenali sebagai Intradagang Merchant Banking (M) Bhd) & Ors v. Abd Rahim bin Ab Hamid & Ors (2001) 2 MLJ 711: This matter subsequently went up on appeal and has been reported as Abd Rahim bin Ab Hamid & Ors v. Perdana Merchants Bankers Bhd (dahulunya dikenali sebagai Intradagang Merchant Banking (M) Bhd) sebagai Pemegang Amanah, Pengurus dan Agen & 6 Ors vide (2006) 3 AMR 629 and is now hailed as a landmark decision on the law of receiverships and company liquidation.
- Mars Enterprise (suing as a firm) v. Metro Parking (M) Sdn Bhd (1999) 1 MLJ 121.
- New Straits Times Press (M) Bhd & Ors v. Hazahar Bin Idris (1998) 4 MLJ 564.
- Golden Court Hotel v. Pejabat Pemegang Harta Malaysia & Anor (1995) 4 MLJ 708 & (1996) 1 CLJ 50.
- Golf Resort (M) Bhd v. Nadarajah s/o Murugaya & 2 ors (1995) 1 ILR 425.
Bahasa Malaysia, English & Tamil.
Utter Barrister, Honourable Society of Inner Temple.
Advocate & Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya.
Accredited Mediator on the Panel of Mediators with Asian International Arbitration Centre (Malaysia). Member of the Disciplinary Committee, under the purview of the Malaysian Bar Council’s Advocates & Solicitors Disciplinary Board, a statutory body created by the Legal Profession Act 1976 to investigate and hear complaints made against members of the Malaysian Bar.
Life Member of the Malaysia chapter of the Middle Temple Society Alumni Association.
LL.B (Hons), University of London.
Utter Barrister of the Honourable Society of Middle Temple, London.
Advocate and Solicitor of the High Court of Malaya and member of the Malaysian Bar.
Accredited Mediator on the Panel of Mediators with the Asian International Arbitration Centre (Malaysia)
Travelling, hiking & wine tours.