Simon Pedley > Mills & Reeve LLP > Manchester, England > Lawyer Profile
Mills & Reeve LLP Offices
1 NEW YORK STREET
- Go to...
Disputes – commercial disputes, charity disputes and estate, trust and will disputes
- Simon is a dispute resolution partner specialising in company and commercial disputes, as well as charity disputes and regulation, and contested trusts and estates for high-net-worth individuals, trustees, beneficiaries and charities. His recent work includes: representing the successful claimant in the Kennedy v Kennedy case (an equitable mistake claim to overturn a transaction giving rise to a substantial tax liability); acting in Bhullar v Bhullar (a significant decision in a complicated derivate action); representing the successful applicants in Parris v (1) Ajayi (2) SHC Clemsfold Group (3) SHC Rapkyns Group (a claim in malicious falsehood); acting for the administrators of a substantial estate in a variety of related disputes including directions applications, account proceedings, an insolvency validation order application, various other insolvency proceedings, and an application to remove the administrators.
Trainee solicitor Addleshaw Sons & Latham/Addleshaw Booth & Co 1994-96; solicitor 1996-98; solicitor Pannone LLP 1998-2001; partner 2001-14; partner Mills & Reeve 2014-present.
Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists; Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners; Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Perse School, Cambridge; Emmanuel College, Cambridge (1991 BA English, MA 1995); Anglia Polytechnic University; College of Law, York.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Mills & Reeve LLP handles a full range of contractual and corporate litigation with particular experience in food, agribusiness, sport, charity and private wealth disputes. Richard Dawson-Gerrard, who is popular among food, agribusiness and pharmaceuticals clients, and Simon Pedley, who is experienced in the sports and charity sectors, jointly lead the practice. The group frequently handles cross-border work, with particular experience in German disputes, for which principal associate Sandra Morrison (who is dual-qualified in England and Germany) is the key contact.
Mills & Reeve LLP acts for clients including private individuals, trust companies, and charitable organisations in complex trust and probate claims. The team’s expertise in this area is demonstrated by its work handling long-running disputes in the High Court and Court of Appeal, including matters involving considerable offshore estates. The team is led by the highly experienced Simon Pedley, with associate Ben Reeves another key contact.
Mills & Reeve LLP‘s cross-disciplinary charities practice provides advice on matters including governance, intellectual property, data protection and commercial transactions to a range of non-profit clients. The key partners in Manchester are Paul Knight, who handles IP, IT and commercial matters, and litigator Simon Pedley. Senior associate Rona McPherson is also noted for her work on grant arrangements, as well as on the acquisition and development of new IT systems and projects. In advising national charities, the team draws on its offices around the country, including in Birmingham, London and Cambridge.
Mills & Reeve LLP has a national reach. The agile team deals with issues surrounding the validity of wills, actions involving trustees and executors and claims under the Inheritance Act in addition to related claims concerning lifetime transactions. It also advises a number of charities involved in contested legacy matters. David Catchpole, who divides his time between London and Norwich, concentrates exclusively on contentious trusts and probate matters. Simon Pedley, who is based in London and Manchester, acts for many high-net-worth individuals and trust companies.
- Contentious trusts and probate - North West > Private client
- Hall of Fame - North West > Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Hall of Fame - North West > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Leading individuals - North West > Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Leading individuals - North West > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Charities and not-for-profit - North West > Private client
- Commercial litigation: Manchester - North West > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Public sector > Education
- Public sector > Health
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Manchester
- Real estate > Commercial property: Manchester
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Manchester
- Employment > Employment
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Real estate > Planning and environment
- Real estate > Construction
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery