James Towler > McCormicks > Harrogate, England > Lawyer Profile
35-37 EAST PARADE
- Go to...
James is a Partner and heads up the Company/Commercial Department.
He has practised in corporate and commercial law throughout his career and routinely advises on buying and selling shares and businesses, joint ventures, shareholder and partnership agreements, commercial agreements and terms and conditions.
James has particular expertise in sports law.
His clients are both domestic and international from sectors including football and other sports, retail, manufacturing, online business and agriculture.
Recent/current clients include Leeds United Football Club, the Premier League, Norwich City Football Club, Wycombe Wanderers Football Club, Abacus Direct, Atlas Helicopters, Curzon and Company, Lapicida, Redline and Up and Running.
Qualified September 1982.
James headed up the Corporate and Commercial departments at other well known regional practices before joining McCormicks in September 2019.
Ashville College, Harrogate
Queen Mary College
University of London
Chester Law College
Commended as ‘the best in the business’, Harrogate-based McCormicks attributes its reputation to founding partner Peter McCormick, who is praised as ‘the UK’s leading football lawyer by a mile’ and was recently appointed as interim chairman of The Premier League. McCormick leads the practice alongside Philip Edmondson, who focuses on disputes involving key clients, such as Leeds United FC, and James Towler, who advises sporting clients on acquisitions and disposals, joint ventures, group reorganisations and commercial agreements. Other key members of the team include commercial property head Heather Roberts and associate Emily Steed.
Yorkshire and the Humber > Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
McCormicks is an established advisor to sport sector clients in particular, with clients such as Premier League, the EFL and Leeds United FC on its roster. Here, it advises on commercial contracts and sponsorship agreements. The practice also offers support to hospitality and leisure as well as private clients. The key contacts and practice heads are James Towler and senior partner Peter McCormick.
McCormicks handles matters for an array of sports-based clients, predominantly within the football industry. Practice head Peter McCormick was appointed interim chairman of the Premier League in January 2022 and continues to fulfill a number of other renowned governing roles across football. James Towler and Philip Edmondson also lead the Harrogate practice; while the former deals with corporate and commercial transactions in the sports space, the latter takes charge of litigation portfolios for sporting clients.
- Sport - Yorkshire and the Humber > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire - Yorkshire and the Humber > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Family: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire