John Doherty > Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP Offices
125 WOOD STREET
- Go to...
Commercial dispute resolution.
John is a partner in the commercial dispute resolution department, specialising in product liability, EU competition, regulation and judicial review. Important cases John has advised on include a challenge to the constitutionality of an EU Directive concerning tobacco advertising, which was litigated successfully before the House of Lords and European Court of Justice. Advice and assistance is regularly provided to multinational consumer products manufacturers and distributors on product safety issues (including recalls) and compliance with product labelling and advertising requirements. He has particular experience working with companies from the Americas region.
Trained Lovells; qualified 1998; partner in 2008, Penningtons Manches.
Human Rights Lawyers Association; Administrative Law Bar Association.
Finchley Catholic High School, (1981-87); Middlesex University, LLB (Hons) (1995); College of Law, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (1996).
The product liability team at Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP is known to work for large multinationals on a range of contentious and non-contentious compliance matters. Particularly, the team does work within the automotive, retail, life sciences, technology and food and drink sectors. Team head John Doherty is experienced in handling EU product safety and regulatory requirement matters. Elise Bevan is a specialist in transvaginal mesh claims on behalf of claimants and Lisa Page provides regulatory advice on medical devices.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Court of protection
- Employment > Employees/unions
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Immigration
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Transport > Travel
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Employment > Senior executives
- Transport > Shipping
- Finance > Trade finance
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – small-mid cap
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing: local authorities and registered providers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Real estate > Commercial property: investment
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Employment > Employers
- Insurance > Insurance and reinsurance litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property litigation