John Doherty > Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP Offices
125 WOOD STREET
- Go to...
Commercial dispute resolution.
John is a partner in the commercial dispute resolution department, specialising in product liability, EU competition, regulation and judicial review. Important cases John has advised on include a challenge to the constitutionality of an EU Directive concerning tobacco advertising, which was litigated successfully before the House of Lords and European Court of Justice. Advice and assistance is regularly provided to multinational consumer products manufacturers and distributors on product safety issues (including recalls) and compliance with product labelling and advertising requirements. He has particular experience working with companies from the Americas region.
Trained Lovells; qualified 1998; partner in 2008, Penningtons Manches.
Human Rights Lawyers Association; Administrative Law Bar Association.
Finchley Catholic High School, (1981-87); Middlesex University, LLB (Hons) (1995); College of Law, London, Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice (1996).
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP‘s team is instructed by product manufacturers, distributors and retailers from a wide range of industries, including the automotive, food and drink, life sciences, retail and technology sectors. Areas of expertise include product liability claims, regulatory advice, and general litigation. John Doherty is also well versed in EU-safety requirements; he jointly leads the team with commercial dispute resolution specialist Rustam Dubash. Associate Nick Bamber also advises on the regulatory landscape.
Penningtons Manches Cooper LLP ‘has good depth of experience in commercial litigation, and provides advice that is both practically and commercially sound, while being highly effective‘. The team’s scope of work covers general commercial litigation, international litigation and arbitration, and group action litigation. Other litigation areas include banking and finance disputes, reputation management, cybercrime, product liability, energy, HNW disputes, and IP and IT; and the practice’s international work involves diverse jurisdictions, such as India and South America. Commercial dispute resolution head Rustam Dubash also heads the India group; David Niven and David O’Brien co-head the professional negligence and group action practices; Alex Fox leads the business and finance disputes team; while Richard Marshall is international litigation head. Also highly rated are IP and IT disputes head, Phillip D’Costa and regulatory head John Doherty. Michael Brown joined as a partner from Bird & Bird LLP in 2019, and consultant Noel McMichael and senior associate Charlotte Hill are also experienced practitioners.
- Commercial litigation: mid-market - London > Dispute resolution
- Product liability: defendant - London > Insurance
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Commodities disputes
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Private client > Court of protection
- Employment > Employee/unions
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Senior executives
- Insurance > Clinical negligence: claimant
- Public sector > Education: institutions
- Insurance > Personal injury: claimant
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Transport > Shipping
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Insurance > Product liability: defendant
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Real estate > Construction: non-contentious
- Public sector > Education: schools
- Employment > Employers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Social housing: local authorities and registered providers
- Employment > Immigration
- Transport > Travel