James Berry > Freeths LLP > Sheffield, England > Lawyer Profile
Freeths LLP Offices
FIFTH FLOOR, 3 ST PAUL'S PLACE
129 NORFOLK STREET
- Go to...
Commercial Dispute Managment
James leads the Dispute Resolution team at Freeths’ Sheffield office which prides itself on building long-term client relationships by being outcome-driven and providing commercial and pragmatic advice.
James advises a diverse range of clients with a particular focus on the manufacturing, construction and technology sectors. He deals with a wide variety of commercial disputes including complex IT issues, shareholder disputes, enforcement of restrictive covenants, claims arising from the sale and purchase of businesses, warranty claims, professional negligence claims and commercial contract disputes. The Legal 500 recognises that he “works stupendously hard and is clever and easy to work with“.
James has extensive experience of dealing with High Court litigation particularly in the context of handling interim injunction applications, unfair prejudice proceedings and high value/commercially sensitive contractual disputes. He is an active proponent of alternative dispute resolution including mediation, expert determination and negotiation and has experience of dealing with international claims involving companies who are based overseas including Australia, India, Pakistan, France and the US, dealt with through court proceedings and arbitration.
He has considerable experience of working with senior board members of companies across SMEs, PLCs, AIM and Fortune 500 – with a proven track record of success and particular emphasis on client care and delivering a high quality service.
James started his career with Irwin Mitchell LLP where he qualified in 2009 and then became a Partner in May 2017. James subsequently joined Freeths LLP as a Partner in April 2018.
Triathlon, Golf, Skiing.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Freeths LLP’s commercial litigation practice fields joint practice heads James Hartley and James Berry, who are regularly instructed in high-value manufacturing disputes, shareholder litigation, professional negligence claims, contentious insolvency matters and contractual and warranty claims. Berry and senior associate Ciaran Dearden are engaged in long-running litigation concerning unfair prejudice, while senior associate Gary Duffy is defending a public authority against sensitive human rights claims. The team also provides risk management advice.
- Next Generation Partners - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire - Yorkshire and the Humber > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Sheffield, South Yorkshire
- Real estate > Environment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Commercial property: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Real estate > Construction
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Sheffield and South Yorkshire
- Public sector > Local government
- Employment > Pensions
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire