Energy, project finance and PFI in South West
Burges Salmon LLP is known for advising public and private sector clients on procuring, developing and funding projects in the transport, energy and defence sectors. The firm is particularly experienced in nuclear power, as well as providing expertise in renewables and waste management projects. Ian Salter is an expert in the field of nuclear regulation and international nuclear law. He co-leads the team with Ross Fairley, who specialises in environmental and low carbon projects. Also notable in the area are Keith Beattie, Mark Paterson, Julian Boswall and senior associate Alec Whiter.
‘A pragmatic and responsive team with a good industry specialism’
‘Rupert Lugg has a great ability to understand complex problems and to seek pragmatic solutions’
Central Government – Ministry of Defence, Department for Transport, Department for Education, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Home Office, Department for Health & Social Care
Greater London Authority
FirstGroup (TOC owner group) and its TOCs (First Capital Connect, First Greater Western, ScotRail, First/Keolis Transpennine and Hull Trains)
Transport for London (including London Underground and Rail for London)
Bristol City Council
Transport for Wales and the Welsh Government
Ørsted (formerly Dong Energy)
- Advising Bristol City Council on the City Leap plan to raise around £1bn of investment to transform Bristol into the UK’s first smart-energy, carbon neutral city by 2030, including providing advice on the highly complex funding requirements, along with energy-related regulatory and commercial advice.
- Continuing to advise the Ministry of Defence on its £30bn procurement of Dreadnought-class submarines, including advising on acquisition strategy, and the development and negotiation of the build, test and commissioning contracts for the programme.
- Advising Innogy Renewables on issues surrounding the development of the 1.4GW Sofia offshore wind farm, situated on Dogger Bank, and the Triton Knoll project.
The multi-disciplinary team at Osborne Clarke has expertise in renewable energy, electric vehicles (EV) and core power sector work. The firm specialises in advising non-energy sector clients on the management of their energy consumption. In the projects area, the department has experience in advising the emergency services and secondary healthcare support services, as well as clients from the telecoms and higher education sectors. The practice is co-led by Chris Wade, James Watson and Matthew Lewis. Other notable team members are Catherine Wolfenden, who is an expert in public and utilities regulated procurement; Carl Thompson, who focuses on energy and utilities projects; David Ferris, who is a specialist in energy projects and application of power technology; and Alan John, who advises on a range of matters, including energy management and storage, power and heat purchase agreements, and renewables incentives.
‘Chris Wade and Amy Dimond are great to work with, understand what we need and get it done’
‘They have a very realistic approach and are able to pass work around between partners without losing momentum’
‘Simon Hancock is an exceptionally able partner, with an excellent knowledge of the sector. He has a very pragmatic approach which is valuable when closing complex schemes’
Via Novus Limited
Springfield Heat Project
Western Power Company Limited
Minety Battery Storage
Northacre Renewable Energy Limited
John Laing Environmental Assets Group Limited (JLEN)
The Renewables Infrastructure Group Limited (TRIG)
- Advised next generation energy business Limejump on its sale to Shell Petroleum Company.
- Advised Statera Energy on its strategic 15-year partnership with Statkraft to realise 1GW of energy storage and utility-scale, flexible gas-powered generation.
- Advised Via Novus on a £35m investment by Cube Infrastructure Fund into EV charging business Engenie.
Ashfords LLP advises on domestic and international projects in the energy and waste sectors, with a particular focus on renewable energy and municipal energy-from-waste projects. Specialities include biomass and waste gasification, pyrolysis and anaerobic digestion (AD) projects. The firm also has experience in contentious proceedings and EV charging point projects. ‘Trusted pair of hands’ Brian Farrell leads the team and is ‘very commercial and on the ball’ in the development of new projects, support of existing operations and commercial advice.
‘We use them on our energy efficiency projects and find their projects team to be very commercial, professional and excellent value for money’
‘They look after us well’
‘Brian Farrell is also a pleasure to work with – he has a light manner and is engaging. He just gets it’
‘Mark Manning is a professional and a hard worker’
‘Jonathan Croley is easy to work with and diligent’
Ixora Energy Limited
Lakeside Energy From Waste Limited
- Advising Lakeside Energy From Waste Limited on the procurement of a new construction contractor for the like-for-like replacement of a 440ktpa energy-from-waste facility near Heathrow Airport.
- Advising Wichelstowe LLP in respect of its letting of a concession for the installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of EV charging points in a multi-phase housing development.
- Advised Ixora Energy Limited on the negotiation of a lease for a new digestate lagoon, including advice on the interplay with existing contractual commitments and planning requirements.
Acting for public and private sector clients, Bevan Brittan LLP has expertise in a range of matters, including energy transition projects, housing projects and contentious issues. The firm has particular experience in PFI/PPP projects, refinancings and PFI/PPP disputes. In the energy field, the practice advises on energy-from-waste, energy innovation, and district and renewable energy matters. Nadeem Arshad leads the team and specialises in waste and energy PFI/PPP projects. Also notable is Nathan Bradberry, who focuses on infrastructure projects.
‘Strong sector knowledge, hands on approach from the partners, good mix of energy and construction sector skills and experience.’
‘The team is able to advise on a wide range of areas to support clients on projects or day to day contract issues.’
Bank of Ireland
Peabody Land Limited
Birmingham City Council
Cambridgeshire County Council
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council
Leeds & York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Isle of Wight Council
Legal & General
North Yorkshire County Council
- Advising 4R Group on three separate waste management PFI/PPP projects across England and Wales.
- Advising Wigan Metropolitan Borough Council on its 25-year waste PPP project in the North West, which involves complex off-take arrangements and new waste treatment technology.
- Advising the 33 local authorities across Wales on the WEP Strategic Partner Framework, a joint venture to deliver education and community facilities throughout Wales through a PPP model, which is being procured by the Welsh government.
The ‘tenacious and persistent’ Michelmores LLP has experience in PFI projects, distressed PPP/PFI projects and PPP service contracts, providing ‘good advice in a timely manner'. The energy practice focuses on technology, peaking power, solar, storage, AD and regulatory work. PFI and PPP projects expert Carol McCormack OBE co-leads the team with energy specialist Ian Holyoak and Ben Hogan, who is known for project finance. Also notable are associate Hannah Slater, who advises government departments, public sector bodies, private sector service providers and project companies, and associate Jo Spalding, who has experience in the facilities management sector.
‘The team assigned to our commission was extremely proactive: they ensured that they were all well briefed and offered great resilience and a good diversity of expertise’
‘As a public sector organisation I felt that Michelmores had far greater empathy and understanding of our position than perhaps other legal firms’
‘We were fortunate that the individuals assigned to our commission had exceptional expertise in the area and were very well qualified to represent our interests’
‘They ensured that there was always at least one member of the team available to take our calls at any time and were always willing and able to attend meetings wherever they were being held’
‘They were always forward looking, ensuring that we kept looking a couple of steps ahead and not just focusing on a single issue, and that the timetable was driven to meet milestones and limit costs’
‘I have not seen this level of commitment to a project from any other firm and would highly recommend Michelmores to others’
ISS Mediclean Limited
Gemalto UK Limited
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children NHS Foundation Trust
Amersham Investment Management
Guinness Asset Management
Zestec Asset Management
Urbaser Environmental limited
- Advising Innisfree Group on a number of PFI projects nationwide, including on the replacement of subcontractors, the restructuring of PFI projects (for example, the removal of services and extension of sites), financing and the resolution of disputes.
- Advising Amersham Investment Management on the disposal of Warren Power, a 5MWth gas-to-grid project, to JLEN for £14.8m with deferred consideration of £800,000m.
- Advising ISS Mediclean Limited on variations to its healthcare and justice PFI-related agreements around the country.
TLT is known for advising on subsidy-free, multi-technology and EV charging infrastructure projects across the UK. The firm has expertise in renewable energy and technologies, assisting clean energy developers with the financing, development and sale of solar plus battery storage projects. In addition, the practice advises funders on debt funding models for portfolios of battery storage projects, behind-the-meter infrastructure and fleet vehicle charging infrastructure. Maria Connolly leads the team and has experience in clean energy projects across a range of technologies. Also recommended is commercial contract expert Stuart Urquhart, who provides contractual and regulatory advice on renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.
‘It is difficult to compare to other firms as we only work with TLT. They have a justifiable reputation as being one of the leading energy practices in the UK – with a focus on renewable energy. They are easy to work with, commercial and pragmatic.’
‘Gary Roscoe – first class – great to work with. Very experienced and knowledgeable.’
‘Kay Hobbs – commercial and committed. Able to deal with complexity. Friendly approach.’
‘Maria Connolly – very well networked. Able to tailor solutions for specific deals. Commercial and pragmatic.’
‘Stuart Urquhart – excellent with power purchase agreements, with detailed knowledge of grid and electricity markets. Able to deal with complexity and deliver concise legal advice. Highly valued.’
Low Carbon Group
Triodos Bank UK Ltd
Government Legal Department / BEIS
Alpha Real Renewables
Thrive Renewables plc
GRIDSERVE Sustainable Energy Ltd
Good Energy Group plc
Macquarie Capital Principal Finance / Green Investment Group
- Acting for Macquarie in relation to its investment into a multimillion-pound pioneering AD and processing facility involving a large agricultural and farming business across several land holdings.
- Assisted Gridserve with the financing, development and ultimate sale to Warrington Borough Council of a subsidy-free 34.7MWp solar and battery storage development in York.
- Advised Santander UK plc on a multimillion-pound debt funding into Zenobe Energy, an operator of battery storage assets.
Specialising in energy-related matters, Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP has experience in offshore wind, heat and renewable energy projects, including energy-from-waste and AD projects. The firm acts for developers of new electricity generation projects, power companies and independents on a range of matters, notably supply and energy trading issues, as well as EV schemes. Christopher Towner leads the team and provides expertise in commercial projects work, with a particular focus on the energy sector.
Other key lawyers:
‘Strong in energy across the practice areas’
‘They understand how the market works and should work and integrate this with specialist legal analysis of the state aid rules’
‘Good competition law and regulatory experience, with blue-chip clients’
‘Andrij Jurkiw is a formidable partner with significant experience, who always fights his client’s corner’
Centrica (including British Gas, Centrica Energy and Centrica Storage)
East Anglia Offshore Wind Ltd
EDF Energy Renewables Ltd
Noble Energy, Inc.
Renewable Energy Generation
RWE (including RWE Npower and Innogy (formerly RWE Npower Renewables)
Scottish Power Renewables / Scottish Power Generation
- Advised Chrysaor E&P Services Limited in connection with the purchase of ConocoPhillips Holdings Limited and Burlington Resources (UK) Holdings Limited.
- Advising Iberdrola and ScottishPower Renewables on the sale of a 40% share in the East Anglia One offshore wind farm project.
- Advising Cardiff Council in relation to its Cardiff Heat Network project.
The multi-disciplinary practice at Clarke Willmott LLP specialises in renewable energy and natural resources, with particular expertise in waste, energy, transport, infrastructure and social housing projects. The firm assists large EPC contractors with projects in the UK and overseas, as well as advising on a range of energy technologies in relation to renewables transactions. The department's experience covers the acquisition, construction and funding of wind, solar, waste-to-energy and biogas projects. Construction expert Priscilla Hall leads the team, which also includes Ewen Cairns, who focuses on projects to enable a transition to a low and non-carbon economy.
Future Biogas Limited
Envitec Biogas AG
Alpha Real Capital
Styles & Wood Group
- Advising a number of preliminary and site operations consortia on NEC3 contracts for Hinkley Point C, with contract values exceeding £500m.
- Advising Future Biogas, a developer of AD projects, on all property advice relating to the acquisition and optimisation of these installations.
- Advising Alpha Real on the acquisition of solar and wind projects, as well as in relation to the acquisition of forestry operations to hold and manage as investments.
Foot Anstey is particularly strong in solar power, energy storage and EV matters, advising on project development, funding and M&A in these areas. The firm handles issues relating to the use of data in energy applications, as well as execution for blockchain. Co-leading the team are Chris Pritchett, who focuses on emerging technologies and generation and distribution projects; Stuart Cleak, who has expertise in energy-related real estate work; and Ian Stubbs, who advises on major energy projects in the UK and internationally. Also notable is legal director Christian Silk, who arrived from Simmons & Simmons in 2019 and brings experience in complex consenting, including development consent orders.
Other key lawyers:
‘They’re a modern law team, there is no fear of clock watching if you want to chat to them, and they deliver when called upon.’
‘Chris Pritchett is great, always available, not sure how he crams so much into a day, but his knowledge on the sector has grown exponentially since we’ve used them. He is generally our first port of call for most things energy.’
‘Pragmatic, commercial advice. Good knowledge of energy sector.’
‘Stuart Cleak provides personal, pragmatic and commercial advice. He is skilled at finding solutions rather than taking an adversarial stance.’
British Solar Renewables (BSR)
NEC Energy Solutions
Green Frog Connect
- Advising WElink on two major utility-scale solar photovoltaic (PV) projects (both in Portugal) – the sale of the 46MWp solar PV Ourika plant to European renewables investor Allianz, and the sale of the 221MWp solar PV Solara4 plant.
- Acting as the main legal adviser to BSR across a number of workstreams, including advising on international EPC work in Australia and EU jurisdictions.
- Advised the Clean Earth group on the UK’s first private industrial wind turbine project, involving the development of a 3.5MW turbine.
Experienced in projects, energy and natural resources matters, VWV specialises in procurement and state aid, as well as pipelines and contentious matters. The firm’s work covers energy-from-waste projects, combined heat and power plants, commercial biomass installations, wind farms and solar photovoltaic projects. Construction project expert Jason Prosser leads the team.
EDF Energy Customers Ltd
Hills Waste Solutions
United Gas & Power
CLH Pipeline System
- Advising EDF Energy on a wide range of contentious matters.
- Advising CLH Pipeline System on all aspects of managing and running a cross-country oil pipeline, covering regulatory, health and safety, GDPR, land law, statutory rights and construction issues.
- Advised Hills Waste Solutions on various elements of its waste services business, and on its involvement in the proposed development of a large energy-from-waste facility.