The Burges Salmon LLP group impresses with deep know-how in procuring, developing and funding significant projects, often in the transport, defence and energy areas. In the latter, the team is particularly experienced in nuclear power projects as well as solar, wind, and energy from waste matters. Practice head Ian Salter and Ross Fairley are the respective experts in those areas. The client roster includes public and private sector clients. Keith Beattie is especially known for his financing expertise and other key practitioners are Julian Boswall, Mark Paterson and the 'very talented' senior associate Alec Whiter.
Energy, project finance and PFI in South West
Other key lawyers:
Ross Fairley; Keith Beattie; Julian Boswall; Mark Paterson; Matthew Ramus; Alec Whiter
‘Well managed team, even virtually. Business-minded advice. Proactive communication. Strength built with excellent collaboration with in-house capabilities of client.’
‘ Leader in the renewables sector. A ‘go to’ firm with vast experience across a variety of technologies.’
‘Excellent client focused service that is timely, creative in solutions and practical in application’
‘ In addition to excellent legal knowledge, uniquely in my experience the team has an intimate knowledge and understanding of the sectors it operates in (particularly energy) therefore the operating environment, the key commercial and regulatory issues and the key players. These additional actors make their advice stand out from the rest.’
‘ Ian Salter is exceptional – very easy to work with and the first person to call when solid, dependable and clear advice is needed.’
‘The team are highly professional experts in their field. They manage to deliver complex legal advice in a plain English, easy-to-understand manner. They consistently (and enthusiastically) work to meet our very tight deadlines, turning around huge volumes of detailed drafting. They are also really nice people!’
‘Alec Whiter – He is thoroughly lovely. Nothing is ever too much trouble. He is also a very talented and clearly very clever individual.’
‘Ross Fairley – A really top chap and brilliant lawyer. He is engaging and enthusiastic.’
Central Government – Ministry of Defence, Department for Transport, Department for Education, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, Home Office, Department for Health & Social Care, BEIS, DEFRA
Greater London Authority
FirstGroup (TOC owner group) and its TOCs (First Capital Connect, First Greater Western, ScotRail, First/Keolis Transpennine and Hull Trains)
Transport for London (including London Underground and Rail for London)
Bristol City Council
Transport for Wales and the Welsh Government
- Continuing to advise the MoD on its procurement of the Dreadnought class submarines and the Skynet satellite programme.
- Advising the United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) on research and development of fusion energy and associated technologies, including in connection with its STEP project to design and build a UK fusion power station.
- Acting for Ascent, a joint venture between Lockheed Martin and Babcock, on the multi-billion pound UKMFTS military flying training PFI project.
Osborne Clarke LLP is highly regarded for its regionally, nationally and internationally active practice. Its team has knowledge in advising sponsors and lenders on project developments and financings, and its core areas of expertise are emergency services and social infrastructure; higher education; telecoms and IT infrastructure; energy, and defence. Chris Wade is an established contact for private and public sector clients; he leads the team jointly with James Watson and Matthew Lewis. David Ferris specialises in power technology issues and Carl Thompson focuses on energy and utilities projects. Omar Al-Nuaimi is an expert in finance transactions. Catherine Wolfenden is noted for her expertise in procurement law, and Simon Hancock is a key contact in PFI and PPP matters. Alan John retired in 2021.
Chris Wade; James Watson; Matthew Lewis
Other key lawyers:
Catherine Wolfenden; Carl Thompson; David Ferris; Simon Hancock; Omar Al-Nuaimi; Alexandra Gower
Tay Valley Lighting (Leeds) Limited
Equitix and Bouygues Ltd
- Continuing to act for EE on the Home Office Emergency Services Network Project Contract project to provide a next generation communication system for the three emergency services (police, fire and rescue, and ambulance) and other public safety users.
- Advised Bristol University on the procurement of its £300m new campus project at Temple Meads.
- Acting for WPD on the development of its electricity flexibility services.
Ashfords LLP has experience in the energy, waste and leisure spaces; it covers the full life cycle of projects, and is noteworthy in low carbon matters. The team’s client portfolio includes project sponsors, lenders and local authorities. Practice head Brian Farrell is considered to be ‘conscientious, thoughtful and patient‘; he is knowledgeable in drafting and negotiating contracts. Clare Brewer specialises in project finance transactions, while Mark Manning also handles construction and engineering disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Mark Manning; Clare Brewer; Emma Warren; Jonathan Croley
‘They work really hard to come up with solutions, and understand the pressure on in-house local authority legal teams and our instructing officers. They are super approachable and responsive, and feel like an extension of the in-house team. They have excellent commercial & corporate knowledge so can compensate in areas where local authorities teams traditionally have less experience, but understand how to apply it in a local authority environment.’
‘Really approachable and responsive. Genuinely sympathetic to the pressures within local authorities, and you feel you can rely on their support to get you to the end of the project.’
‘I would specifically mention Brian Farrell, Partner, as a stand-out lawyer – broad and strong experience in the energy and corporate governance sectors, a commercial edge, yet able to apply this in a local authority environment and communicate it in an accessible way.’
‘Excellent working knowledge of the regulatory framework. Will research and enquire for areas where there is limited prior experience or previous case work upon which to base advice.’
‘Prompt and detailed responses upon often difficult and opaque questions.’
‘Very much available both in term of time and topics’
‘Whilst the projects team is small, they are made up of a few extremely dedicated and strong experts who are very commercially focused and supportive. They collaborate effectively and offer a seamless service to the client as a result.’
‘Brian Farrell – exceptional projects partner in the projects team. Always goes above and beyond to make sure that the team is supported. Knows what he’s talking about and will give his thoughts about what risks we can or cannot accept. Personally he is conscientious, thoughtful and patient. It is always a pleasure working with Brian.’
Isles of Scilly Community Venture
Assured Energy LLP
South Somerset District Council
Lakeside Energy from Waste Limited
Ingenious Capital Management
Mutamus Flex Limited
- Advising Pennon on the commercial and property aspects of the sale of Viridor for £4.2bn.
- Advising Framptons on its energy savings agreement with Pure World Energy for the design, installation, maintenance and operation of a gas-powered turbine to deliver heat and electricity to Framptons under an ESCo-style arrangement.
- Advising South Somerset District Council as principal sponsor, lender, shareholder in the Fareham Battery Storage project.
Bevan Brittan LLP is noted for its 'calm and effortless leadership' and is instructed by public and private sector clients in energy, PFI and project finance matters. Led by energy from waste specialist Nadeem Arshad, the team further covers PPP projects, contracts, asset management, and construction issues. Its client portfolio includes developers, funders and fund managers, as well as local authorities and NHS trusts. Nathan Bradberry specialises in energy infrastructure projects.
Other key lawyers:
Nathan Bradberry; Colin McConaghy
‘Experienced, knowledgeable, accessible, and deliver what they say they will.’
‘The team has deep and solid experience across a wide range of projects that they apply with intelligence and tailoring to each hurdle that the project encounters. The calm and effortless leadership within the firm enables the wider project team to use the legal approach as a framework to address each new challenge to fund, regulate and implement a world class project within the constraints of practicality.’
‘They relish the challenge and negotiation both within and outside of our organisation and offer broad support across the needs of a public sector client. Their flexibility in meeting both hard internal rationing and tough demanding negotiations and external awards is impressive. Their unrivalled knowledge of market positions and coaching always provides a winning playbook to use. Always there.’
‘Nadeem Arshad has unrivalled negotiating skills and can in the same sentence both inform and position our negotiations with the well known opposition.’
‘The practice has deep and extensive knowledge in the sector and has worked both sides of the table, thereby being able to offer clients clear advice about different options and their potential outcomes. Their extensive project experience allows them to provide detailed advice based on how they might advise a client on the other side of the table. ’
‘A very experienced and user friendly team.’
‘Colin McConaghy was a real pleasure to work with. Very sensible, pragmatic and timely.’
‘Working with Nadeem Arshad who is a consumate professional. His knowledge of waste and energy contracts is first class and his approach, his manner and the way he interacts means that he is a key member of the team.’
Bank of Ireland (UK) plc
Birmingham City Council
Cambridgeshire County Council
Isle of Wight Council
Department of Health
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust
Nottingham City Council
- Advised the Welsh Government and 24 participating local authorities on a new PPP delivery model, the £1.5bn Welsh Education: 21st Century Schools MIM Programme.
- Advised Bank of Ireland as the lender to significantly restructure a project financed Social Care PFI project.
- Advising the Council on their £500m new Energy from Waste PPP Project and delivery of their future waste management strategy.
Michelmores LLP's team is 'well resourced and has practical experience of acting on a wide range of energy technologies.' Its broad client roster includes NHS trusts, officers, service providers, PE funds, financial services institutions, investors and developers. The group is noted for its wide know-how in PFI/PPP, energy and project finance matters, with respective experts Carol McCormack OBE, Ian Holyoak and Ben Hogan as practice heads. Alexandra Watson is 'available, commercial and goes out of her way to help'. Recently promoted senior associate Jo Spalding and associate Hannah Slater are further key contacts in the Exeter office.
Carol McCormack; Ian Holyoak; Ben Hogan
Other key lawyers:
Hannah Slater; Jo Spalding
‘Very good knowledge of the PFI sector. Fast response to requirements and detailed output. ’
‘Carol McCormack – diligent, professional and very experienced in her field.’
‘Michelmores has very experienced PFI team who are responsive and able to provide clear concise advice when required. Have proved to be flexible and have adapted well to the current challenging environment continuing to provide an excellent service. ’
‘I have been very impressed with all the team at MM. They have been professional, open and honest from the very start. I trust their advice implicitly. They have worked very collaboratively. This was needed given we brought them onboard in the first lockdown. I have worked with numerous law firms over the past 20 years and I would say MM are one of the best I have worked with.’
‘Carol McCormack is brilliant. Her knowledge of public sector especially in redevelopment is one of the best. Her collaborative style is brilliant to work with.
‘Ben Hogan provides timely and pragmatic legal advice and acts as a trusted adviser to our project.’
‘The Practice advises us on a niche market area. They have in depth knowledge of this sector and the respective players. ’
‘Individuals have detailed and broad experience, bringing a degree of commercialism that we don’t see in larger practices.’
Guinness Asset Management
Armstrong Capital Management
Solar Income & Growth
Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust
ISS Mediclean Limited
Urbaser Limited / Urbaser Environmental Limited
Outlook Energy Services
Zestec Asset Management
Ferry Farm Community Solar
Finnish Fund for Industrial Cooperation
- Advising a significant number of PPP/PFI project companies owned by institutional investors including Innisfree, Dalmore Capital and Equitix on matters including progression of disputes, negotiation of settlements, negotiating and implementation of variations, advice on contractual interpretation matters and negotiations with lenders and subcontractors.
- Advising a trading business on an ongoing investment into a bio-gas to grid AD project.
- Advised a major multinational services provider on its conditional acquisition of a number of municipal waste collection and management contracts and associated assets from a large UK services provider.
TLT is highlighted for its 'true depth and breadth of expertise' in the renewable energy field, in particular in the quest of achieving vehicle electrification and net zero emissons. The team assists joint ventures, investors and energy companies with developing new funding for products and technologies, and works closely with the firm's M&A and banking groups. Maria Connolly, who leads the practice, is noted as a 'genuine renewables superstar'. Kay Hobbs covers corporate aspects, while Gary Roscoe is the key contact in project finance matters. Matthew Grimwood has experience in the real estate area and legal director Stuart Urquhart advises on commercial contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Urquhart; Gary Roscoe; Kay Hobbs; Matthew Grimwood
‘The team has true depth and breadth of expertise in renewables, across the board. TLT have been our trusted adviser for years and that deep knowledge of our business makes this team the first we approach every time. The key differentiator is the firm’s approach to client management, which is brilliant. Fees are reasonable, and the team is very responsive and collaborative. ’
‘Matt Grimwood – the best renewables property lawyer we work with, full stop. He really knows his stuff and is a solid client relationship partner.’
‘Maria Connelly – at the top of her game – a genuine renewables superstar.’
‘Kay Hobbs – a brilliant renewables corporate lawyer who isn’t afraid to give solid opinions and strategy, she really gets the need for M&A deals to run smoothly and delivers on that.’
‘A great firm, highly respected in the (renewables) sector. High quality lawyers. No egos.’
‘Matthew Grimwood: accurate, sensible and pragmatic. An absolute pleasure to deal with.’
‘Maria Connolly has great knowledge of the sector, very proactive, excellent relationship management.’
‘They work well with our in house legal team and provide clear pragmatic commercial advice. They have good renewable energy sector knowledge and we value their friendly, pragmatic and helpful approach.’
Alpha Real Renewables
Green Investment Group (Macquarie)
GRIDSERVE Sustainable Energy Ltd
Low Carbon Group
Guinness Asset Management
- Advising GRIDSERVE on its project in Braintree, Essex, which allows multiple electric vehicles to be charged simultaneously via superchargers and uses 100% renewable energy, and offers customers a range of retail options.
- Assisting Green Investment Group and Enso Energy joint venture in relation to the development of an initial 1GW of subsidy-free solar and battery projects.
- Advised Santander UK on its £12m financing of a flagship 30MW battery storage project.
Womble Bond Dickinson (UK) LLP impresses with its wide offering, which encompasses oil and gas, CCUS and hydrogen, wind and solar, and energy infrastructure, among others. The team is active in transactions, developments, projects and disputes and is led by Edinburgh-based Richard Cockburn. Christopher Towner is well versed in the power and renewable area. Simon Hughes has experience in real estate elements of infrastructure developments and Charles Robson is a key contact in financing matters.
Other key lawyers:
Christopher Towner; Simon Hughes; Charles Robson; Luke Holmes
Babcock Offshore MCS Aviation
East Anglia Offshore Wind Ltd
EDF Energy Renewables Ltd
Energie Baden Wurttemberg
National Tube Stockholders (NTS)
Noble Energy, Inc.
Renewable Energy Generation
Renewable Energy Systems
Scottish Power Renewables / Scottish Power Generation
Tekmar Energy Limited
The Oil and Gas Authority
The Renewables Infrastructure Group (TRIG)
Total E&P UK Limited
Vitol Group (Vitol SA and Vitol E&P)
- Advised Renewable Energy Systems Limited on all aspects of the development of their significant onshore wind, storage and solar portfolio in respect of new development and life extension projects.
- Advising South Tees Development Corporation (STDC) in relation to all aspects of a joint venture for the ownership, operation, upgrade and expansion of the electricity distribution infrastructure at the 4,500 acre Teesworks site.
- Assisted Sumitomo with a wholesale energy trading agreement under which Sumitomo would purchase electricity and gas on the wholesale markets to meet the demands of clients of an energy supplier with an exclusively business customer base.
Clarke Willmott LLP's team is regularly active for EPC contractors in national and international projects, such as the construction of power stations, infrastructure and other developments. Another area of expertise is energy technology, encompassing matters around wind and solar farms, as well as waste to energy matters. Priscilla Hall leads the practice and is well versed in construction law queries. Zoe Stollard specialises in the nuclear and renewable energy spaces. Laurence Lacey covers property aspects. Ewen Cairns left the firm in late 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Zoe Stollard; Laurence Lacey
‘The firm have exceptional industry knowledge and involvement which ultimately means that they are able to resolve contractual matters with ease and in a timely fashion, which drives cost saving efficiencies.’
‘The team are knowledgeable, warm, and approachable. They are our advisory knowledge base, and are treated as part of our in-house team. Its a strong partnership and I would be remiss if we had a change of personnel.’
‘Zoe Stollard: I have very much appreciated her professional expertise, her responsiveness, her dynamism in the negotiation. Zoe has provided an invaluable support.’
‘CW showed great understanding of the HPC contracting process having acted for several suppliers and are highly regarded by the clients.’
‘Zoe Stollard was lead partner and her knowledge of NEC3 contracts and the HPC amendments speeded up the negotiation process. Zoe also took positive control of the process which proved essential when dealing with a large client team.’
Future Biogas Limited
Ripple Energy Limited
Sustainable Power Sources Limited
METKA EGN Limited
Osprey Shipping Limited
Somerset Passenger Solutions
Host 2 Limited
EnviTec Biogas AG
Tecnicas Reunidas SA
- Advising Host 2 Limited on construction contracts worth £150m supporting delivery of accommodation for Hinkley C.
- Advising Ripple Energy Limited on its innovative wind farm development and ownership structure, to deliver a new form of community ownership.
- Advising Future Biogas Limited on property and planning aspects of its biogas operations, including in relation to site due diligence, connection documentation and planning advice.
The Foot Anstey team handles project development, funding and M&A transactions for developers, operators, funders and local authorities. It has special expertise advising clients from the solar, nuclear, energy storage and Electric Vehicles (EV) sectors, and often advises on technology and sustainability matters. Chris Pritchett specialises in the energy and renewable space, while Ian Stubbs is well versed in construction and infrastructure mandates; together, they lead the practice. Stuart Cleak has know-how in battery and EV installations.
Chris Pritchett; Ian Stubbs
Other key lawyers:
Stuart Cleak; Kutahya Cherry; Christian Silk
DWR Offshore Ltd
BSR (British Solar Renewables)
Deletti (Devon County Council)
Plymouth City Council
- Acted as lead legal and strategic advisor in relation to two major utility scale solar PV projects, the sale of the solar PV Ourika plant to Allianz, and the €72.5m syndicated financing by Investec of a circa 220MW solar PV Solara4 plant.
- Supporting Pivot Power on its £1.6bn battery infrastructure project, its £25m Oxford Energy Superhub project and provided Real Estate and Commercial support on Pivot’s sale to EDF.
- Advised Eden Geothermal Limited on its complex project structuring and financing arrangements for its first deep geothermal project.