Employment in Serbia
Bojović Drašković Popović & Partners has significant experience in employment contracts, recruitment and terminations, HR policies and related corporate governance, social benefits and secondments. Other areas of expertise include compliance reviews, anti-discrimination, health and safety measures and diversity issues. Vuk Drašković is known for the employment aspects of major transactions. Senior associate Miloš Andrejević is an employment law and immigration specialist.
‘The lawyers have a very good understanding of the business and law environments in both Serbia and the US. This makes them very valuable for a US-based company establishing a presence in Serbia.‘
‘They are among the very best lawyers in Serbia. The team is highly professional and reliable, yet dynamic. It is relatively young but also experienced.‘
‘The legal team is highly responsive and flexible. It achieves excellent results.‘
‘‘Vuk Drašković possesses huge knowledge of various legal matters. His legal expertise and comprehensive industry knowledge are impressive. He is truly outstanding and completely understands clients’ business.‘
‘Vuk Drašković is an employment law expert who helps clients very efficiently.‘
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Serbia
EOS Matrix Montenegro
Poseidon Human Capital
- Advised Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Serbia on daily employment inquiries, including interruption of work and leave issues.
- Advised Pepco, a European discount chain, on labour law and HR issues.
- Provided general employment advice to Tetra Pak in Serbia.
Joksovic, Stojanovic & Partners advises multinational, local and regional companies and diplomatic missions on employment and labour law, including disputes. Milica Vesić predominantly acts for employers.
‘What makes this practice unique is its short response times. This dynamic business demands quick action and this practice offers clients great support in this respect.‘
‘It stands out for its high professionalism, prompt reactions and approach to each issue from various perspectives, which give quality support to business decision making.‘
‘The practice has deep knowledge of German corporations and is able to act swiftly.‘
‘Milica Vesić is a labour law specialist who always draws a clear picture.‘
‘Milica Vesić is a great professional and highly skilled in her fields of expertise. She reacts to requests promptly and supports clients adequately.‘
‘Milica Vesić’s approach and expertise are highly professional – she is a truly reliable partner.‘
Johnson & Johnson
Freeport McMoRan Explorations
State Lottery of Serbia
MSD Merch Sharp & Dohme
Nokia Solutions & Networks
Alkemy doo Belgrade
Alkemy Play doo Belgrade
Elekta Solutions doo
Infrastructure Development and Construction
- Advising Robert Bosch doo Belgrade, on an ongoing basis, on employment and labour law matters, including advising on termination issues.
- Advised the Embassy of Switzerland and Swiss Cooperation Office on Serbia’s labour law legislation, including assisting with template employment contracts.
- Assisted Infrastructure Development and Construction with the employment law issues surrounding the Serbian section of the Turkish Stream gas pipeline project.
JPM Jankovic Popovic & Mitic acts for a significant number of longstanding clients from the retail, IT and automotive sectors. Jelena Nikolić's practice covers diligence procedures surrounding labour law, health and safety in the workplace, fire protection and disputes.
‘Clients have full confidence in JPM, which comes up with creative ideas on how to resolve risk scenarios. Clients can rely on their full support, including during negotiations in tough cases.‘
‘JPM is the best – it is always at clients’ disposal and always finds the best possible solutions within the legal boundaries.‘
‘They have great knowledge of market practices and offer insights on the best approach.‘
‘The whole team works together constructively.‘
‘The team is adaptable and professional.‘
‘Jelena Nikolić is very available and supportive – a really valuable business partner.‘
‘Jelena Nikolić is exceptional at always finding the most suitable solution to problems.‘
AVON COSMETICS SCG DOO BEOGRAD
BASF SRBIJA DOO BEOGRAD
BEIERSDORF DOO BEOGRAD
CONTITECH FLUID SERBIA DOO
Continental Automotive d.o.o. Novi Sad
DENSO THERMAL SYSTEMS
DEICHMANN TRGOVINA OBUĆOM SRB DOO
DEUTSCHE SCHULE BELGRAD
Elektrotehnički Institut Nikola Tesla
IKEA SRBIJA DOO
Karlovarské minerální vody
MTU Aero Engines AG
Mylan EMEA SAS
NEW YORKER SRBIJA DOO
NORMA GRUPA JUGOISTOČNA EVROPA DOO SUBOTICA
NOACK & Co South East doo
Namics doo Beograd
PTC – Plugin
Scania Srbija doo
Textile House d.o.o.
TOM TOMINTERNATIONAL BV
VAS AERO SERVICES
- Assisted Merkur Games with ongoing HR issues.
- Advised TomTom International on ongoing HR issues.
- Advised Microsoft Software doo on employment agreements, salary compensation, HR issues and terminations.
Karanovic & Partners recently became an affiliate of Ius Laboris, an international law firm network specialising in employment law, employee benefits and pensions. Milena Jakšić Papac, who was recently promoted to the partnership, advises on employees' engagements and terminations, salaries and benefits, trade union relations and collective bargaining. She also assists with M&A-related labour issues and labour disputes.
Marjan Poljak; Milena Jakšić Papac
‘The employment practice of this firm is outstanding. It is very well staffed, with experts who go the extra mile to provide sound and reliable advice.‘
‘Milena Jakšić Papac is a real specialist, whose judgement is trusted implicitly and who never disappoints.‘
Johnson Electric International
West Pharmaceutical Services
Ericsson doo Belgrade
Zijin Mining Group Co
- Assisted Mars and Wrigley with the employment aspects surrounding the global integration of their businesses.
- Advised L’Oréal on various employment queries.
- Advised Epic Games on the labour law issues surrounding the acquisition of 3Lateral, which develops innovative technologies.
Mikijelj Jankovic & Bogdanovic
Mikijelj Jankovic & Bogdanovic's scope of practice covers advice on working conditions, HR policies, whistleblowing, workplace bullying and harassment, and litigation. Katarina Radović's experience includes the cross-border assignment of employees and preparing companies’ internal employment regulations. She also acts in labour disputes.
‘The great team work is very well orchestrated.‘
‘It is results oriented, thorough and knowledgable, and it responds in a timely fashion.‘
‘The firm recognises what clients value. Clients are highly impressed by the way it handles all legal issues and it deserves only the highest recommendation.‘
Barlan S&M doo
Pernod Ricard Srbija doo
Mol Serbia doo
Insajder Net doo Beograd
Imperial Tobacco SCG
Forum Ziviler Friedensdienst Predstavnistvo Beograd
Museum of Contemporary Art
Institute for the Serbian Language of the Serbian Academy for Science and Arts
- Advised Insajder Produkcija doo on a range of employment issues, particularly in relation to termination issues.
- Acted for Pernod Ricard Serbia on the implementation of workplace regulation amendments into employment agreements.
- Advised Imperial Tobacco SCG doo on the employment of foreigners.
Moravcevic Vojnovic and Partners in cooperation with Schoenherr specialises in internal employment frameworks, executive exits and management agreements. The team also focuses on M&A-related employment issues, and fields sector experts in automotive, real estate and construction. Marija Vlajkovic is mostly focused on employment matters, while attorney at law Bojan Rajic advises international clients on market entry issues.
‘They are very responsive and reachable at any time. The advice is always accurate, prompt and on time.‘
‘Attorney at law Bojan Rajic is flexible, fast and always up to date. He tries to find solutions to every problem that companies are faced with.‘
SAP West Balkans doo
- Advised Sitel on numerous employment matters.
- Acted for Quest Software on the Serbian labour law aspects of its acquisition of Apex SQL, which included the transfer of employees to a new Serbian subsidiary.
- Assists OMV (an international oil and gas company), on an ongoing basis, with employment advice.
BDK Advokati AOD provides ongoing support to employers in managing their relationships with employees and ensuring compliance with labour regulations. The team also addresses challenges posed by modern technologies in the workplace and assists with contentious situations. Senior associate Nikola Cincović specialises in employment, immigration and health and safety issues. Former practice head Ana Jankov moved to Brussels.
‘The team provides an excellent service and is most professional, dedicated and creative. It is also a great case manager and able to solve complicated issues and finalise matters successfully.‘
British American Tobacco
BIC Slovakia sro
Enlight Renewable Energy
Smith Micro Software
- Assisted British American Tobacco with various employment-related matters, including redundancy procedures.
- Assists Adient with an array of employment-related issues and labour litigation.
- Advised Amazon on various employment-related matters, including immigration and data protection aspects.
BOPA Bojanovic & Partners hired employment, labour and immigration law specialist (and former JTG Law Office partner) Nikola Gvoic in late 2019 as labour and employment head. Vladimir Bojanovic advises on reorganisations, trade unions, industrial action, restrictive covenants, share ownership plans and redundancies.
‘They are top-class employment lawyers who handle the most complex and demanding cases.‘
‘A top-level employment department in a premium full-scale law firm that provides appropriate resourcing, industry knowledge and responsiveness. It is also good value for money.‘
‘These are great employment lawyers who provide the highest level of service and a tailor-made approach.’
‘It is the people that make this practice unique – they have gathered some of the best employment lawyers in the market. Their last gain is Nikola Gvoic, who is one of the most prominent employment lawyers in Serbia.‘
‘They are detail-oriented, responsive and goal-driven lawyers.‘
‘Vladimir Bojanović is a great employment lawyer, whose quality of work and efficiency are unrivalled.‘
‘Nikola Gvoic is business oriented and a superb adviser.‘
‘Nikola Gvoic impresses any client and is an amazing negotiator.‘
- Advised Sutherland Global Services on the labour aspects surrounding its entrance on the Serbian market.
- Acted for Epson on compliance with Serbia’s labour law legislation.
- Advised TMF Group, a multinational professional services firm, on the complex negotiations regarding the termination of an employment contract.
A key feature of Law Office Miroslav Stojanovic, in cooperation with Wolf Theiss' group is its extensive regional CEE and SEE coverage. The practice advises on dismissals, employee handbooks, whistleblowing, management agreements, employee transfers, redundancy and mass hiring programmes, collective bargaining and litigation. Miroslav Stojanović has several specialisms, including employment law.
- Advises KFW (formerly KfW Bankengruppe) on day-to-day HR issues.
- Assisted an international gambling company with various employment law matters.
- Advised a food retailer on cross-border personnel matters.
Petrikic & Partneri AOD in cooperation with CMS Reich-Rohrwig Hainz was recently particularly active in life sciences-related labour law matters. Attorney at law Ksenija Ivetić Marlović is recommended for employment and management agreements, collective agreements and employment by-laws. She is also noted for terminations, trade union negotiations, cross-border employee transfers and work permits.
Ksenija Ivetić Marlović
Johnson & Johnson
Mehler Vario System
FCC Medio Ambiente
- Advises Johnson & Johnson, on an ongoing basis, on various employment matters in Serbia.
- Acting for Colgate-Palmolive Co on day-to-day HR and labour law matters in Serbia.
- Acting for LEAR Corporation on day-to-day HR aspects and in labour disputes.
Prica & Partners advises on acquisition-related employment issues, the establishment and termination of employment, restructurings, compensation, benefits and foreign nationals' employment. The team also handles disputes. Associate Jelena Edelman is experienced in employment and immigration matters.
Jelena Edelman; Ana Čalić Turudija
‘The team is very responsive and delivers advice in a short timescale that is in a useful format and tailored to clients’ requirements.‘
- Advised Amazon.com on its employee share purchase programme.
- Assisted Slovenia’s Lek Pharmaceuticals with the reorganisation of its representative office in Serbia, which affected Serbian employees.
- Advised JUUL on its global bonus policy and the issues surrounding its applicability to employees in Serbia.
Doklestic Repic & Gajin is well known for advising on collective bargaining, redundancies and reorganisations, large-scale lay-offs, employment and management agreements, and labour disputes. Slobodan Doklestic and senior attorney at law Ljubinka Pljevaljcic are employment and labour law specialists.
Slobodan Doklestic; Marko Repic
‘The team is rated for its responsiveness, positive approach and detailed explanations. It provides a broad understanding of what the impact of certain choices could be.‘
‘It has sufficient sensitivity to meet all employers’ requirements and resolve any sudden and complex issues that could emerge with minimum legal risks.‘
‘This is one of very few firms that has a specialised team of employment lawyers, both for advisory matters and contentious matters. It has experience with literally all aspects of employment and labour law: dismissals; reorganisations and restructurings; hiring; managerial contracts and benefits; and compensation and benefits.‘
‘It has great experience with the structuring of cross-border work engagements, which can often be very challenging. The team is also very responsive and client-centric, and always focused on producing the desired business result for the client.’
‘They really go the extra mile for the client, not limiting themselves to restating the law and telling the client that something cannot be done. They really try to find a business-friendly solution that will add value to a client’s business.‘
‘The team’s cross-border capacities are highly appreciated by clients with international operations.‘
‘Slobodan Doklestic always gives appropriate advice and finds the best solution. He is a good negotiator, great tactician and best under pressure and in critical situations.‘
‘Working with senior attorney at law Ljubinka Pljevaljcic and Slobodan Doklestic is always a positive experience because they are able to provide the necessary documents and interpretation quickly. Their detailed information is highly appreciated.‘
Nelt & Co
G4S Secure Solutions
Leoni Wiring Systems
VDL Bus & Coach
Pernod Ricard Hellas
- Regularly advises DTD Group, an agricultural company, on employment and labour law matters.
- Advises AIK Bank on day-to-day employment law issues.
- Acted for the Serbian subsidiaries of Philip Morris International on employment-related matters, including in labour disputes.
Harrisons Solicitors' areas of expertise include employment contracts, staff outsourcing, remuneration, working hours and restructuring. Senior associate Jelena Asanin advises on the employment structures of IT sector start-ups.
British Embassy Belgrade
International School of Belgrade
US Embassy Belgrade
- Advised Embroker on a broad range of labour law issues and HR policies in Serbia.
- Assisted British Council Serbia with labour law issues, including employment commencements and terminations.
- Advised Al Dahra Serbia on the HR and employment aspects of the acquisition of PKB Corporation in Serbia.
Samardžić, Oreški & Grbović Law Firm
Samardžić, Oreški & Grbović Law Firm fields experts in workplace policies and procedures, employment and termination agreements, and compliance. Marija Oreški Tomašević is particularly experienced in advising foreign companies entering the Serbian market.
Marija Oreški Tomašević; Radovan Grbović; Milan Samardžić
‘Its key strength is its availability. The team’s service and promptness are of the highest quality.‘
Softline Services doo Beograd
Etihad Airways Branch Office Belgrade
EAP Shared Services doo
Vice Media doo
Sparrow doo Varvarin
Emerging Markets USA
Outsource Insurance Professionals
University of Belgrade Faculty of Philosophy
Etihad Aviation Group
- Advised Adrenalin doo, a Serbian production firm, on various employment issues.
- Assisted Softline with the employment issues surrounding its newly established company in Serbia.
- Advised TransPerfect, a US-based language service provider, on the employment issues it potentially faces when entering the Serbian market.
Stankovic & Partners (NSTLAW)'s practice ranges from restructuring and redundancy exercises to employment disputes, contract and document reviews, and day-to-day issues. Nenad Stankovic's work includes drafting employment contracts and advising on issues relating to foreign employees.
‘The team is experienced in very complex and innovative matters. It covers a wide segment of legal activities, providing a one-stop shop for companies.‘
‘It is extremely professional and always willing to support with tailor-made solutions.‘
‘The lawyers cover a lot of legal areas and are capable of providing legal support in different countries.‘
‘The firm has a great team of lawyers who provide support on time. They are very precise and cooperative, willing to help, and understand and solve different problems.‘
‘Nenad Stankovic has significant experience and has multiple areas of expertise, successfully managing various legal issues.‘
- Advises CCBill on all aspects of employment in Serbia, as well as on the assignment of employees abroad.
- Provides ongoing employment advice to Takeda Pharmaceuticals, including redundancy and downsizing exercises, employment negotiations and handling disputes.
- Acting for Apatinska pivara, a member of Molson Coors Group, on employees’ salaries, contract terminations, immigration permits and personal data issues.
Vukovic & Partners' Aleksandra Ćalić Bošković regularly leads negotiations with trade unions regarding collective agreements and employee rights. She also assists with working permits and labour disputes.
Aleksandra Ćalić Bošković
‘The team has such diversified knowledge that clients can use it for a range of matters.‘
‘Aleksandra Ćalić Bošković has in-depth knowledge of labour law and is a great asset.‘
Eurobau Connect AG ltd Belgrade
Kostag Ltd Belgrade
Rapp Zastava Winches
Faculty of Contemporary Arts
Focus factor Plus
Ocean Business Support
MSG Global Solutions South East Europe
- Advised Chipglobe on labour-related legal services, including the collective insurance of employees and changes in employees’ organisational structures.
- Advised DremCo on labour-related matters, including setting up handbooks and procedures for employees.
- Assisted Appculture with the inter-company referral of employees.
Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office
Zivkovic & Samardzic Law Office is experienced in handling redundancies, management reorganisations, union negotiations, employment disputes and executive terminations. Ana Popovic specialises in employment law and litigation, as well as immigration.
‘This legal team has broad experience in handling redundancy, reorganisation management, union negotiations, employment dispute resolution and executive terminations, and it is capable of helping clients achieve compliance commercially.’
‘It is known to provide comprehensive, cost-effective and timely advice.‘
‘The attorneys are very open-minded and keep up with Serbia’s legal system. Beyond their great business and legal capabilities, what is very much appreciated is their strong sense of relationships and friendly business environment.‘
‘The employment practice is lead by Ana Popović who demonstrates impressive knowledge as well as the ability to negotiate the client’s best interest during delicate relations with employees.‘
‘Ana Popović is an experienced attorney and labour law expert. She is highly committed, and resolves sensitive issues surrounding the termination of employment agreements, the transfer of employees to other workplaces and the conclusion of employment contracts.‘
Titan Cementara Kosjerić
Prva Televizija doo Beograd
- Advised Prva Televizija on redundancy procedures and job reorganisations.
- Assisted South Central Ventures with the employment documents for its investment in LeanPay, a fintech start-up.
- Advised Antenna Group on the employment issues surrounding the sale of media operations in Serbia and Montenegro to Kopernikus Corporation.