Long established as the benchmark in labour law in Peru, Rodrigo, Elías & Medrano – Abogados remains at the forefront of the market, its expert team advising on many of the country's most high-profile and business-critical labour matters. The pandemic has placed the team in great demand as companies grapple with staffing and redundancy issues particularly within Peru's key industry, mining. The firm is acting for several of the country's top mining companies in opposing a request for a centralised collective bargaining procedure initiated by the National Federation of Mining and Metal Workers of Peru. The 18-strong team comprises multiple partner-level luminaries: labour law all-rounder José Balta; Mario Pasco, who leads in collective bargaining and litigation; and labour and tax specialist Ernesto Cárdenas. Senior associate Iván Blume is another name to note.
Labour and employment in Peru
José Balta; Mario Pasco
‘The labour team at REM, led by Jose Balta, is top in the country; the level of the partners and also associates service is the best compared to other firms. The quality of associate work does not diminish at all when the partners are not available to attend an urgent matter. Jose Balta is an asset to us; Claudia Cermeño provides top service and knowledge.‘
‘Competent and practical advice on labour matters. They provide alternative solutions to a problem, along with the pros and cons for taking a decision. Easy to reach and discuss different approaches in detail. Ernesto Cárdenas is recommended.’
Southern Peru Copper Corporation
Compañía Minera Antamina
Tata Consulting Services
- Advising several of the top-ten mining companies in the country in opposing the request for a centralised collective bargaining procedure initiated by the National Federation of Mining and Metal Workers of Peru.
- Advising Avianca del Perú (in liquidation) on all labour matters regarding the closing of its Peruvian branch.
- Advised several of the most important mining companies in the country on the labour implications of their adjusted operation due to the Covid-19 crisis.
A powerhouse of a practice, labour law boutique Vinatea & Toyama fields a massive 35 specialist labour lawyers, advising across the board in high-stakes advisory matters and disputes. For example, against the backdrop of the pandemic, it represented the Peruvian Chamber of Construction (CAPECO) in collective bargaining with a trade union that representants over 150,000 construction workers in Peru. At the helm are two of the country's most distinguished labour lawyers: Jorge Toyama, who co-leads the collective bargaining and arbitration practice; and managing partner and co-head of litigation, Luis Vinatea. Together they have built an outstanding offering, attracting marketing leading companies from a broad spectrum of industries. Five other partners include Magaly Alarcón, who also co-leads litigation at the firm, while up-and-coming associates include Juan Carlos Girao and Cynthia Lagos.
Luis Vinatea; Jorge Toyama; Renato Mejía; Alfredo Salvador; Roberto Matallana; Magaly Alarcón; Herbert Prelle
‘It is an excellent, highly specialised team with solid technical knowledge, which, furthermore, meshes with practical recommendations related to HR management beyond the legislation.‘
‘Jorge Toyama has great technical knowledge and having personal relationships at all levels, allows him to be one step ahead of the labour news. He is a benchmark at country level in labour law. Alfredo Salvador is an excellent lawyer and strategist who perfectly handles the variables to be considered in all types of consultation and in negotiations with unions. Juan Carlos Girao has excellent ability to analyse the issues entrusted, with creative solutions and proposals. Roberto Matallana is a very good procedural strategist, great knowledge of the cases and the instances in which they will be seen.’
‘It is a close team, which analyses customer problems, always seeking to guarantee the best way to resolve difficulties. The communication is very fluid and solid, it allows us to quickly address the issues and advance according to the needs.’
‘They are definitely the best firm for labour matters in Peru. They understand business dynamics and have a 360° vision of the impact of advice on the business. Their support provides security in decision-making, they always find the correct way to implement the projects that are proposed.’
‘Definitely Herbert Prelle (partner) is a lawyer with exceptional experience in highly complex matters such as union relations, empathetic and clear in his concepts.’
‘Their strengths are the level of knowledge and their relationship with both clients and the different authorities and interlocutors for each of the topics addressed.’
‘Vinatea & Toyama makes a difference compared to other specialist firms.’
‘They have an ability to adapt and understand difficult points and a creative way of managing them.’
Arca Continental – Lindley (Coca-Cola)
Tiendas por departamento Ripley
MMG Las Bambas
Minera Aurífera Retamas (MARSA)
Cámara Peruana de la Construcción (CAPECO)
Grupo Repsol del Perú
Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP)
Compañía Minera Cerro Verde
Asociación Peruana de Avicultores (APA)
Asociación de Gremios Productores Agrarios del Perú (AGAP)
- Advised the Association of Agricultural Producers (AGAP), on drafting proposals for a new agrarian labour regime law, in coordination with the Ministry of Labour and in social dialogue tables among employers’ associations, unions, and the Government; approval for the law was achieved despite strong social protest and political instability.
- Counselled the Peruvian Construction Chamber, CAPECO, in the collective bargaining with a trade union that representants over 150k construction workers and applying to over 1000 construction companies.
- Counselled SiderPerú on the negotiation strategy with its two unions, including arbitration where the panel issued an award which upheld the firm’s argument of bad faith in the unions’ actions.
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International
Estudio Echecopar member firm of Baker McKenzie International offers employers a truly panoramic service, advising on personnel hiring, health and safety, collective bargaining, design of labour policies, large-scale layoffs, dismissals of executives and internal investigations, among other matters. Practice head and area coordinator Monica Pizarro recently led a successful collective bargaining process on behalf of Securitas, avoiding recourse to the labour authorities, and also handling a number of gender-equality matters, a niche area of focus. The July-2021 elevation of Luis Miguel Almendariz to the partnership will relieve pressure on Pizarro and allow a further growth in capacity; further depth comes from Elizabeth Zamudio, now a principal associate, who provides key support.
United Health Group
Cosco Shipping Ports
Corporación Andina de Fomento
- Successfully represented AFP Integra in a lawsuit filed by an affiliate, the former manager of a bank, who claimed damages alleging that Integra did not comply with its obligation to require his former employer to withhold his contributions correctly.
- Successfully assisted Securitas with a collective bargaining procedure by direct negotiation, whereby the parties agreed to solve the union’s request without entering into a conflict that would then have to be resolved by the Labour Authority.
- Advised Praxair regarding the labour implications of its corporate restructuring merger involving Praxair, Linde and Tecnogas, including the transfer of all employees to a single operating company, Praxair.
Labour law is a core area of practice at EY Peru, which has earned a stellar reputation in this arena. With three separate offices across the country, it provides a national advisory service to a raft of principal companies and organisations from the heavy industry, mining, energy and agricultural sectors, among others. Of note is the firm's expertise in global mobility, advising companies on the move of foreign personnel to Peru, as well as employment taxes and benefits. Lead partner José Ignacio Castro is highly respected in the market and steers a team of four fellow partners and a mammoth 81 other legal professionals.
José Ignacio Castro; Mauro Ugaz; Miguel Rubio Ayllón; Valeria Galindo; Mauricio Matos Zegarra
‘EY, and partner, José Ignacio Castro, has always shown a very good knowledge of the application of legal norms, and based on this, has been able to guide us in the most appropriate strategy to defend our position. As for its strengths, I highlight its strategic approach, understanding of the priorities of us as clients and good knowledge of the precedents taken into account by judges and labour authorities. In my opinion, the distinguishing factor lies in that know-how of how to apply the strategy and know how to listen to the client.’
‘José Ignacio Castro stands out for his strategic approach and knowing how to empathise with us quickly. He has managed to find solutions other than the common within the application of the law and protection of our interests.’
‘There is a great predisposition to find creative solutions to complex issues that our operations present.’
‘Creativity, predisposition to help, expertise and relationship with authorities.’
‘The EY team is fully involved with the needs of the company, offering legal and easy solutions to the problems.’
‘They are particularly sensitive to the needs of the client, seeking to attend to them quickly. I highlight Mauro Ugaz, who is always available to answer questions, proposing different scenarios. Also Karen Marquina, a young professional who is very meticulous with her work.’
PlusPetrol Peru Corporation
Operadora Peruana de Cines
Banco de Crédito del Perú (BCP)
Michell y Cia
Nexa Resources Perú
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
- Acted for PlusPetrol Peru Corporation in the execution of a labour audit of more than 50 contractor companies in the regions of Cusco, Pisco and Loreto (Peru), in order to avoid any type of labour contingency in the future.
- Advising Operadora Peruana de Cines on the labour measures that could apply during quarantine for its employees and the execution of the suspension of the employment relationship of its workers.
- Successful managed more than 100 wrongful termination lawsuits nationwide on behalf of Banco de Crédito del Perú.
Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados
The national presence of Muñiz, Olaya, Meléndez, Castro, Ono & Herrera Abogados serves this area well, its ten offices throughout Peru advising local productive, agricultural, port and manufacturing industries, among others, on all their labour law needs. The practice stands out for its expertise in large-scale collective bargaining, in addition to a vast caseload of litigation on behalf of some leading domestic employers. Practice head Ricardo Herrera is widely respected and is leading advice in demanding and complex collective bargaining on behalf of APM Terminals Callao (port workers) and Nestlé Peru. Four other partners complete the senior team, including César Puntriano, who acts for some of the firm's most important clients in judicial proceedings.
‘We work with the partners Ricardo Herrera and César Puntriano, both of whom demonstrate full knowledge in the handling of labour regulations, in addition to their years’ of experience in practice, they always provide us with an additional, very valuable, approach when solving problems arising from work practice.’
‘What makes the work team at Estudio Muniz stand out is that they have practical knowledge of labour law due to the different relevant cases in which they have provided advice. In the team, the two partners Ricardo Herrera and César Puntriano stand out for these characteristics.’
‘Strengths are the experience of the labour practice lawyers together with the knowledge of the entities related to the subject.’
‘Ricardo Herrera is an expert in labour issues, with great ease and clarity of advice who, in addition to that, is always attentive to the detail that can make a difference. Together with César Puntriano, they make an excellent pair, who obtain very good results in labour litigation. Both work successfully in matters of individual and collective labour law.’
Telefónica Del Peru
APM Terminals Callao
APM Inland Services
Cia. Operadora De Gas
Salaverry Terminal Internacional
Lindley (Inca Kola)
San Miguel Global
Banco Central de Reserva
Banco de la Nación
Gas Natural de Lima y Callao (Cálidda)
Transportes Marítimos (TRAMARSA)
- Advising several companies, including British Amercian Tobacco del Peru, on successfully implementing surveillance, prevention and control of Covid-19 in the workplace in accordance with a ministerial resolutions.
- Continuous advice to Nestlé Peru in collective bargaining with six different unions and establishing a legal strategy and assisting the company beforethe Ministry of Labour.
- Ongoing advice to APM Terminals Callao in collective bargaining with the port workers, including negotiation before the Ministry of Labour.
A very strong team at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uria includes Peru's elder statesman of labour law, Jaime Zavala, who continues to advise on collective bargaining matters, redundancy and sexual harassment cases, among other matters; and overall department head and seasoned negotiator César Gonzales Hunt, who is regularly called upon to act as arbitrator in labour disputes. They are supported by a 17-strong associate bench which includes the very experienced principal associates Lidia Vilchez and Alicia Jimenez, although junior partner Pamela Navarro left in September 2020 to establish her own boutique. Clients from an exceptionally diverse sector base include Alicorp, General Motors and Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú.
Cesar Gonzales Hunt; Jaime Zavala; Lidia Vilchez; Alicia Jimenez
‘The strong points are their knowledge and experience regarding labour matters, essential for the best decision making. The strength of the PPU work team led by Alicia Jimenez also lies in its agility, certainty and practicality of each of the topics worked on and that do not necessarily remain in the labour field, but are complemented with other elements that make their advice the complete support required by the business.‘
‘Their availability, immediate attention and uninterrupted advice make sure that the client’s needs are supported correctly and in a timely manner. The precision of its concepts means that without a doubt we have the best basis to decide on matters of importance in the organisation, always objective and taking care of compliance with the regulations in such a way that things certainly do not have problems.’
‘They have a great theoretical and practical knowledge of labour issues, and are always available to answer any queries raised and provide timely, adequate and pertinent labour legal advice. It compares favourably with other firms, especially due to the speed and efficiency of the service.‘
‘Both César Gonzales and Ivan Paredes have shown great disposition, closeness and empathy with our needs, which together with their great capacity and efficiency, differentiates them with other law firms.’
‘They are a solid, competent and agile team.’
Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú
Corporación Aceros Arequipa
Compañía Goodyear del Perú
Corporación Peruana Inca (Copeinca)
BHP World Exploration C (sucursal del Perú)
- Represented Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru in a very complex negotiation process (relating to more than 2,700 employees) to avoid the suspension of employment contracts by implementing a temporary salary reduction and benefits agreements.
- Advised Aceros Arequipa in a complex suspension of the employment relation with 230 employees affiliated to the larger company union.
- Advised Banco Falabella Perú in collective bargaining with one of the company’s unions.
Rubio Leguía Normand offers deep expertise across a range of labour law disciplines. An extensive and loyal client base, serviced by three offices around the country, has sought the firm's services in the past year for collective bargaining (in the prickly mining sector), high-stakes litigation and navigating Covid-19 employment regulations. A trio of expert partners lead the practice: labour law luminary Víctor Ferro, who has notched-up over 40 years in the field; Sandro Núñez, who has been leading Covid-19 employment advice to leading insurance company Pacífico Vida Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros; and Armando Gutiérrez, who specialises in advising the natural resources sector.
Victor Ferro; Sandro Nuñez; Armando Gutierrez
‘They are responsible, organised lawyers who seek to know the company’s business line in order to provide alternative solutions to our queries.’
‘They are lawyers with strong values, which is important because the company has zero tolerance for acts of corruption.’
‘RLN’s labour team is highly trained and knows how to meet our needs as an organisation, they accompany us very closely, focusing their advice on the reality of the business and understanding our needs as clients in terms of speed, precision and language that serve not only for the legal team but also for the other members of the company.’
‘I highlight the work of André Cossio, the main associate who takes care of our account directly. Always willing to collaborate with us, he knows our business model very well and this is reflected in the success of the judicial processes that he has led and also in his advice for the implementation of the different labour policies and guidelines of the organisation. André has excellent communication skills, knows his subject very well and provides us with advice that is legally based but grounded in the reality of our business.’
‘The labour team of Rubio helps the client reach its goals. It is not restricted to the consultation made, but goes further, raising the impact of the consultation in our current or future activities, looking for the most appropriate solution not only from the point of view of labour law but from a business point of view, anticipating market and regulatory changes and without losing sight of the peculiarities of jurisprudential criteria. We are quite satisfied with the services provided by Rubio, since they have not only obtained important results for our company, but in the development of the processes they always keep us informed about the follow-up they are giving, which makes us feel secure that the orders are assumed in the best possible way. I believe that the main strength is its commitment to the ethical principles and values of our company, always looking for the best legal alternative for the client’s interests. Thus, for example, they not only process the case that is entrusted to them, but also evaluate the existence of any contingency in a timely manner and, if it is necessary to negotiate, they have us accustomed to successful results for the company. It is, without a doubt, one of the best labour areas in the country.’
‘I work on issues with Armando Gutiérrez, co-head of the firm’s labour area. Armando has extensive experience and a solid knowledge of labour issues, which allows him to carry out an in-depth and adequate analysis of the most convenient options for our company to avoid problems. He is one of the best labour lawyers in the country in the design and execution of judicial strategies, which has allowed him to obtain important results for our company. In addition, he is an excellent negotiator. His total willingness to attend our inquiries immediately and in a personalised way stands out, which is a very valuable quality especially in the mining sector where emergencies can arise at any time of the day. I also work on issues with Angel Ramirez, main associate of the firm’s labour area. I believe that he is a labour lawyer with a good future. We have been working with him in recent years, and we see his steady growth. He is always available to answer our questions with solid, effective and timely answers.‘
‘Rubio Leguia Normand offers a variety of partners with vast experience in various areas of the country. It has a support team that analyses and provides solutions according to the needs of its clients, especially Victor Ferro, whose career is renowned.’
‘Armando Gutierrez, partner of the firm, is a dedicated person who carries out his work very meticulously and customised to the needs of his clients. He is a practical, strategic person who gives you clarity on the results of the different scenarios. He is a person you can trust.’
Pacífico Vida Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros
Minera Barrick Misquichilca
Grupo ENEL / Newmont Perú / ACS Infraestructuras Perú / Metro de Lima Línea 2 / Hitachi Rail STS (Peru branch) / Hitachi Rail Italy (Peru branch) / Ticino del Perú / IPG Mediabrands (Peru branch) / Oiltanking Perú / Globelec del Perú
Mapfre Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros
Avianca Perú (in liquidation)
Jinzhao Mining Peru
American Airlines (Peru branch)
Minera Yanacocha (Newmont)
Huawei del Perú
Cinemark del Perú
- Advised long-term labour law client Pacífico Vida Compañía de Seguros y Reaseguros on the implementation of labour measures that have emerged as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, such as the reorganisation of the provision of personnel services and the move to remote work.
- Representing Consorcio Minero Horizonte in over 300 legal proceedings during the past year related to labour matters.
- Acting for Minera Yanacocha in collective negotiations carried out with its two mining unions.
Head of practice Claudia Flecha at CMS Grau is highly respected by peers and cilents for her capability; advising across a range of labour matters, she has particular expertise in the retail, mining, energy, real estate and education sectors. She leads a dozen-lawyer team, including experienced counsel José Burgos, that advises a strong client roster including Rio Tinto Group, KLM, Unilever and Solgas. The team has been busy during the past year advising multiple clients on the labour law implications of Covid-19 regulations, and has a large caseload of business-critical litigious matters such as sexual harassment.
‘Great support and professionalism.’
‘Excellent knowledge, practical approach and problem solving.‘
‘Strengths: commitment and dedication.’
‘Cecilia Vargas and associates Franco Herrera and Natalia Almonte are totally committed to the company.’
Baker Hughes International Operations del Perú
Ferrovial Construcción (Peru branch)
ALS Perú / ALS LS
Rio Tinto Group
Schlumberger del Perú
Shell Operaciones Perú
Sentient Natural Colors
Santa Ursula School
Soluciones Inmobiliarias Morada
Compañía Operadora de Gas (COGA)
Banco de Crédito (BCP) and La Fiduciaria
- Assisted Compañía Operadora de Gas (COGA) to draft, tender and subscribe a major agreement for pipeline maintenance and response to operational emergencies that was awarded to a consortium conformed by Stork and SICIM, and which included a high labour component since its execution implies the displacement of a large number of workers, with COGA being responsible for all the contractor’s personnel.
- Handling the labour processes portfolio for multiple clients, including complex cases for BCP and La Fiduciaria.
- Advising multiple clients on the implementation of new regulations issued in response to Covid-19, including preparing plans for the prevention, surveillance and control of the virus, occupational health and safety, training of staff and the implementation of remote work.
A young and ambitious team at Miranda & Amado advises a high-calibre client roster on demanding labour law matters, both contentious and non-contentious. It is steering several of its multinational clients, including adidas Peru and Clorox Peru, through the extensive employment implications of Covid-19, while more traditional instructions include representing Callao Salud and Villa María del Triunfo (IBT Group) in the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement with their respective unions. Practice head Eric Castro leads a well-resourced team of 13 lawyers, including Carlos Cadillo, who was made partner in January 2021, plus two counsel (Fernando Rodríguez and Luis Santa Cruz) and nine associates. Sebastián Soltau, highlighted last year, left the firm in Sept 2020 to establish his own firm.
‘I consider that it is a very outstanding team; mainly I highlight Fernando Rodríguez in the sense that he anticipates the needs of us as clients and he is always able to serve us and find time from somewhere.‘
‘Proactivity and thorough responses.’
‘We have worked particularly on collective bargaining processes with the firm and I highlight the analysis but above all the strategy that is carried out in each step of the negotiation.’
‘Re: Fernando Rodriguez, who is the legal advisor who accompanies us, I particularly highlight the assertive communication strategy that he proposes as well as his relationship with the Ministry of Labour, which helps to engage a good teamwork between the parties.’
‘The attorneys at this firm are concerned about knowing clients and having a bond of trust with them. They also know the market and what the national environment is like.’
‘Luis Santa Cruz has built a very professional relationship of trust with us as a company and with the union, so much so that our union leaders trust his legal criteria and ask him questions at the negotiating table. He has also been interested in training us as clients to be prepared at the negotiation table.’
‘Highlights are the permanent accompaniment by the firm’s lawyers in each of the processes that are carried out. Reliability – the firm’s lawyers give you confidence that the advice you receive is the best.’
‘I highlight the work of Eric Castro (partner) and Sofia Quiroz (accompaniment in legal procedures such as visas).’
Mexichem (Pavco Wavin – Orbia Group)
Corporación Turística Peruana – Atlantic City
Peruplast – Amcor Flexibles Lima
Rutas de Lima
Productos Tissue del Perú – Softys (part of CMPC)
IBT Group (Callao Salud and Villa María del Triunfo)
Operadora Ecológica del Titicaca (ICA, México)
Adidas del Perú
- Representing Callao Salud and Villa María del Triunfo (IBT Group) in the negotiation of a collective bargaining agreement with the unions of each company (involving healthcare employees).
- Advising Clorox Perú, Peruplast-Amcor, Productos Tissue del Perú and adidas Perú, among other companies, on the preparation of the personnel management plan, labour and communication strategy and measures resulting from the Covid-19 pandemic, to ensure business sustainability.
- Advising Corporación Turística Peruana – Atlantic City, the managing company of one of the largest casinos in Peru, on a labour suspension process before the Peruvian Labour Office, covering 1000 employees, within the context of the quarantine ordered by the Government during the Covid-19 pandemic.
A full-service practice at PricewaterhouseCoopers Peru offers clients five labour-related business lines: strategic projects, corporate consulting, labour auditing, litigation (including collective bargaining, judicial proceedings and arbitration) and immigration. The practice has flourished under the leadership of former associate director Percy Alache, with a growth in client numbers and revenue under his tenure; he was rewarded with partnership in June 2021. Alache is supported by eight associates, among whom Pierre Mendoza and Adriana Tapia stand out for their experience. A stellar client base of well-known multinationals includes H&M Hennes Mauritz, Panasonic and Entel.
H&M Hennes Mauritz
Overseas Bechtel Incorp (Peru branch)
Geyer Kabel Perú
Corporación Peruana de Productos Químicos (QROMA)
Transportadora de Gas del Perú (TGP)
HM Clause Perú
- Acting as lead labour adviser to H&M Hennes & Mauritz on all labour matters since 2017.
- Advised HM Clause Perú in the wake of new legislation on a special regime applicable to companies in the agricultural sector.
- Counselled Grupo Celima on the personnel restructuring plan for the company’s operating units, which include Cerámica Lima, Corporación Cerámica and CIA Minera Las Camelias.
Head of department María Haydee Zegarra at Rebaza, Alcázar & De Las Casas is very highly regarded by the market for her expertise across a range of contentious and advisory matters. The firm consequently attracts an impressive client base that includes Telefónica del Perú, Latam Airlines Peru and Scotiabank Peru, while a diverse array of matters includes arbitration, corporate reorganisations, collective bargaining, Covid-19 response and policy planning in areas such as sexual harassment prevention. Five supporting associates include Omar Diaz, who has a decade's experience in the field, and Elizene Vásquez De Velasco, adviser to several of the practice's key clients.
María Haydée Zegarra
‘Very good team. Well balanced. Good people.’
‘Maria Haydee Zegarra is very good, an excellent leader; Omar Diaz is already a strong lawyer. They are not just good lawyers they are excellent people.’
‘The support of the legal labour area throughout the health crisis has been outstanding.’
‘Maria Haydee Zegarra and Elizene Vasquez De Velasco stand out for their commitment, empathy and absolute competence. Reliable and guaranteed support.’
‘They are a very prepared team in labour matters. Always up-to-date, also informing in a timely manner about the impacts it could have on the sector. They are a very meticulous and detailed team.‘
‘They are always looking for innovative solutions that take you out of the box and out of your comfort zone, but always aimed at obtaining a successful result. Always there by your side. I make special mention of partner Maria Haydee Zegarra and associate Elizene Vasquez de Velasco. They do an exceptional job with strong and sometimes unexpected results in our favour.’
Tecnológica de Alimentos
DP World Callao
Latam Airlines Peru
Telefónica del Perú
Jardines de la Paz Group
Aeropuertos del Perú
Cooperativa Agraria Industrial Naranjillo
Bolsa de Valores de Lima
Komatsu Mitsui Maquinarias Perú
Cartones del Pacífico
Obras de Ingeniería
Cadena de Comercio Perú (OXXO)
Flesan Servicios Compartidos
- Advising a client in the public sector on its internal policy in response to Covid-19 regulations
- Advising a significant client from the financial services sector on training for senior staff in identifying and dealing with sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Representing a logistics company in collective bargain initiated by one of its unions, regarding negotiation of new working conditions.
Benites, Vargas & Ugaz
Crime and disputes specialist-firm Benites, Vargas & Ugaz also has a strong labour law litigation practice, representing several emblematic companies, such as Telefónica del Perú, Minera Yanacocha and Lima Airport Partners. It also has significant advisory capability and has been in demand assisting clients with the impact of Covid-19. It successfully obtained approval from the Ministry of Labour and Employment in respect of 'perfect work suspension procedures' on behalf of multiple clients. Jorge Luis Acevedo has almost 20 years' specialising in labour law and heads an 11-strong team. Carla Benedetti was promoted to partner in February 2021.
Jorge Luis Acevedo
‘They give us support on labour issues and compare favourably with other firms. Good disposition and collaborative spirit.’
‘Jorge Luis Acevedo is the partner in charge. He is very technical and collaborative.’
‘Good disposition and availability. It feels like a boutique service. Very tailored and makes the client feel like a VIP. Good knowledge of our business.‘
‘Strong points are their empathy – they put themselves in the client’s shoe. They are quite assertive with quick responses.’
Telefónica del Perú
Administración de Empresas (AESA)
Lima Airport Partners
AJEPER (Grupo AJE)
Bureau Veritas del Perú
GSP Servicios Generales (AUNA)
Banco Internacional del Perú (Interbank)
Toyota del Perú
Samsung Electronics Peru
- Representing Administración de Empresas (AESA) in judicial proceedings to determine the validity of the client’s labour contracting scheme, as used in its mining projects.
- Advising Administración de Empresas (AESA) on the collective termination of employment contracts due to force majeure, based on the unforeseeable contract termination with the owner of the mine.
- Acting for Primax in judicial summary proceedings concerning the payment of social security contributions whose collection has been time-barred for over ten years.
Damma Legal Advisors
Labour and tax boutique Damma Legal Advisors joins the ranking, following last year's incorporation of experienced labour lawyer Germán Lora, formerly head of practice at Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados. He leads a team of four associates, including versatile senior Diego Palacios, who advises on both individual and collective labour issues. A high-calibre client roster includes Electroperú and APM Terminals, both represented in collective bargaining matters with respective unions. Leveraging off the strong tax practice, the team is an ideal choice for complex employee benefits and payroll issues.
‘Damma’s labour area provides a precise and clear input in relation to the most relevant issues that in-house lawyers must bear in mind with regard to labour issues.’
‘Germán Lora and his team handle labour regulations in an exceptional way. I feel very safe and comfortable with them as our advisors. Also, one of its best qualities is its excellent availability (24/7) to support us in any emergency or important issue. Diego Palacios is part of the work team and is also characterised by having a detailed knowledge of the regulations.’
‘They demonstrate solid knowledge of the matters that we have consulted them on (mainly labour). They attend quickly and are oriented towards the fulfillment of the company’s objectives.’
‘Strengths of the practice are the prompt response to inquiries and the concern to find a way for the company to achieve the objectives set.’
AW Faber Castell Peruana
Cerámica San Lorenzo
Luz del Sur
- Advised APM Terminals on collective bargaining with its two unions, reaching good agreements without the need for strikes or prolonged stoppage.
- Advised AW Faber Castell Peruana on its Suspension of Work Procedure (Suspensión Perfecta de Labores) as a consequence of Covid-19, obtaining its approval.
- Acting for Electroperú in collective bargaining with its two unions since 2018, and adapting negotiations to incorporate Covid-19 emergency decrees.
García Sayán Abogados offers clients a well-resourced and experienced labour, immigration and social security advisory service. While the firm advises a broad sector range of companies, its core clients include leading mining companies Compañia De Minas Buenaventura and Nexa Resources Peru. The decent-sized three partner, five associate team includes: Alberto Varillas, experienced in union negotiations and immigration; Jaime Durand, noted for his corporate support and litigious expertise; and Macarena Morales, whose practice includes pension and retirement regulations.
Jaime Durand; Alberto Varillas; Macarena Morales
‘It is a team with experience and a strong track record. They know their field and provide timely solutions to the problems raised by us.’
‘Quality of service, experience, timely support.’
‘The labour team is tremendously experienced. They are always very well informed.’
‘Alberto Varillas is a very experienced lawyer, very knowledgeable. His analysis and advice are always consistent and focused. He is very concerned with understanding the problem and proposing alternatives.’
‘The García Sayan team is highly integrated and focused on meeting the needs from the client’s perspective, so their advice is perfectly suited to our real need, providing the best solutions applicable to our reality and need, including labour prevention and compliance with the country’s regulations.’
‘The firm coordinates with the various specialists to give me a comprehensive answer on any labour issue that we should need. It also generates spaces for discussion that allow us to enrich ourselves with labour issues and the measures that we must take into account to prevent future situations.’
Compañia De Minas Buenaventura
Nexa Resources Peru
Sociedad Minera El Brocal
Gate Gourmet Peru
Ferrocarril Central Andino
San Martin Contratistas Generales
Hotelera Costa Del Pacifico
Intel Semiconductores Del Peru
- Handling 333 judicial cases and 27 administrative sanctioning procedures on behalf of Nexa Resources Peru in relation to various matters, including challenges to dismissal, homologation of remuneration, and challenges to administrative decisions issued by the Labour Administrative Authority.
- Representing Compañia De Minas Buenaventura, a mining company with 12,500 employees, in high-value occupational disease litigation, and in disciplinary administrative procedures before the Labour Administrative Authority in matters of safety and health at work.
- Advised Hotelera Costa Del Pacifico (Swissotel Lima) on the labour suspension of almost 300 hotel employees due to Covid-19.
Gálvez & Dolorier Abogados is a boutique specialising in tax, labour and employee benefits, which advises a broad mix of clients from the public and private sectors, such as telecoms regulator OSIPTEL and mining company MMG Las Bambas. Most notably, it acted for Petroperú on an internal investigation into acts of dishonesty committed by a group of over 150 employees. The two-partner practice comprises experienced litigator Javier Dolorier Torres and health and safety specialist (among other areas) Flor Villaseca Hernández. Former senior associate and third team member Karen Céspedes left the firm to study abroad.
Javier Dolorier Torres; Flor Villaseca Hernández
‘Personalised and competent service in which they get involved with the business.’
MMG Las Bambas
Oficina de Normalización Previsional (ONP)
Corporación Peruana de Aeropuertos y Aviación Comercial (CORPAC)
Petróleos del Perú
Petróleos del Perú (Petroperú)
Electricidad del Perú (Electroperú)
- Successfully represented the ONP – Oficina de Normalización Previsional (Peru’s Social Security Office) in suspending the fraudulent payment of P$200m in retirement pensions.
- Counselled Petroperú on investigating acts of dishonesty among 150 workers, including union leaders from six different trade unions.
- Acting for a significant industrial company on the design of a labour strategy of a division of the company that will affect approximately 3000 workers.
A compact but capable team at Hernández & Cía. Abogados advises an impressive client roster of high-profile domestic and international companies, such as General Electric International Perú, Procter & Gamble and Hasbro Perú. It also acts for one of Peru's largest mining companies, Marcobre, on its daily labour needs involving 2,000 employees and contractors. Former head of practice Michael Vidal moved in house at Petroperú in June 2020, and was succeeded at the helm by Diego Castillo, who was promoted to partner in December 2020. Castillo is highly rated by clients and leads three associates, including recently promoted senior Mariana Barreto.
The Carlyle Group
Michael Page International Perú
Abercrombie & Kent Perú
Franquicias Unidas del Perú
Procter & Gamble
Instituto Peruano de Acción Empresarial
Puma Retail Perú/Distribuidora Deportiva Puma Perú
Mac Johnson Controls (Clarios Andina – Peru branch)
General Electric International Perú
Compañía Minera San Valentín
Andino Investment Holding
Consorcio Futbol Perú
Expertos en Café Perú
Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
- Ongoing advice to Marcobre on day-to-day labour issues, with an emphasis on health and safety regulations, including the implementation of safety protocols during the Covid-19 pandemic, applicable to more than 2,000 workers, including contractors.
- Representing Petrex in important litigation cases involving profit sharing controversies, in addition to a package of more than 50 litigation procedures.
- Permanent labour adviser to carpet, tapestry and shoe-making company MultiTop, handling employment contracts, disciplinary actions, labour audits before Labour Authority, collective bargaining and litigation, among other matters.
Osterling Abogados has a thriving labour law practice under the partner team of Ary Alcántara Valdivia and Joyce Cieza Mora; both are arbitrators as well as being highly experienced across a range of labour planning, social security, immigration and health and safety advisory work. An impressive client roster includes Sanofi Aventis del Perú, Gold Fields La Cima and Arthur J Gallagher Perú Corredores de Reaseguros, among others, demonstrating expertise across a range of industries. Two associates complete the compact but capable team.
Ary Alcántara Valdivia; Joyce Cieza Mora
‘Osterling’s team is characterised by being very reliable. They are always ready to help and have extensive knowledge of our industry and our business, which generates added value in their legal concepts and recommendations.’
‘Joyce Cieza stands out for her collaborative sense and her legal assertiveness.’
‘It is a firm that is involved with the client day-to-day, trying to understand the details of its operation, so that when issues arise on any criteria it can advise knowing the history and reality of the company. They are always available and always find time to assist you.’
‘Ary Alcántara and Joyce Cieza are very accurate and precise lawyers. Their advice is always very assertive, impeccable and fast.’
‘Successful analysis. impeccable legal technique and good performance.’
‘Great interaction, relationship and contact between client and advisor, which generates trust. Ary Alcantara and Joyce Cieza are recommended.’
‘I am very pleased to work with Ary and Joyce, due to their quick response to employment legal consultations and advocacy. They handle all the legal concepts and doctrines that make their interventions as expected and bring with them the objectives set.’
‘They are reliable, assertive and very intellectually capable. The difference is that Osterling has a policy that the partner of each team always attends to you. I have felt very comfortable working with Ary and Joyce.’
Sanofi Aventis del Perú
Gold Fields La Cima
Arthur J Gallagher Perú Corredores de Reaseguros
Sociedad Minera Austria Duvaz
Sociedad Minera Corona
Unimed del Peru
Alcon Pharmaceutical del Peru
Solana Comercial (Dollarcity)
Misiones Cementerios Católicos Parque del Recuerdo, Jardines del Buen Retiro, Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Nuestra Señora de las Mercedes and Asociación Civil San Juan Bautista
Corporación Financiera de Desarrollo (COFIDE)
- Advised Asociación Civil San Juan Bautista on labour issues concerning its 500-strong workforce.
- Advised Dollarcity on the legal structure in labour and immigration matters that would allow it to start its activities in Peruvian territory.
- Successfully defended Rímac Seguros y Reaseguros in an arbitration process concerning the policy coverage in relation to the personnel of a contractor of the insured.
Payet, Rey, Cauvi, Pérez Abogados has, once again, partner-level leadership in this area following the promotion of Cristina Oviedo in January 2021. The full-time labour law specialist leads a sizeable associate bench of nine, including the experienced Brian Ávalos, whose practice includes pension law. The young but effective team handles the full remit of labour law matters, from judicial disputes through to payroll reviews by the Tax Authority. Recent work includes steering some significant companies through Covid-19 labour regulations, including Minera Chinalco Peru and Grupo Expertia.
‘A solid team, with experience and extensive knowledge of labour regulations and their practical application in business development. The service received is very satisfactory and surpasses even some previous experiences.’
‘Speed, wide knowledge of the norm and the local reality oriented to the labour practice. I have been advised by Cristina Oviedo, Shirley Quino and Martin Ruggiero.’
‘Advice is complete and analysed from different perspectives of law. They are reliable in their answers, which are always based on legal argument together with a lot of experience in similar cases or with knowledge of recent jurisprudence.’
‘The firm is one of the best, the consultations are attended very well and the availability of lawyers is very good.’
‘Strengths are their kindness, judgment, availability and empathy.’
‘Labour law attorneys are always available to support us in our consultations. They have a lot of knowledge and experience in advising on processes before SUNAFIL and very good handling of labour processes/demands. Their strongest points are deep knowledge of labour regulations and excellent disposition towards the client.’
‘All the lawyers in the area are very proactive and empathetic with the client. I work especially with Dante Botton and Shirley Quino, who are excellent attorneys, always available and provide accurate information.’
Atracciones Coney Island (Coney Park)
Unique (Yanbal International)
Thomson Reuters Peru
Minera Chinalco Peru
Hitachi ABB Power Grids Peru
Vale Exploration Peru
CRP Medios y Entretenimiento
- Advised Grupo Expertia on general labour issues, including advice regarding Covid-19 regulations.
- Advised Unique (Yanbal International) on general labour issues, with a special emphasis on union issues and labour-related judicial and administrative proceedings.
- Acted for Minera Chinalco Peru on labour matters related to Covid-19, as well as social security, judicial and administrative proceedings.