Real estate and construction in Latvia
Cobalt's real estate and construction practice has an 'excellent reputation in the market'. Managing partner Dace Silava-Tomsone heads the 'efficient and dedicated' team, advising on construction projects and real estate disputes. She recently advised Corum Origin, a fund managed by Corum Asset Management, on the sale and leaseback transaction for Elko Group's office headquarters and warehouse. Guntars Zile and Toms Sulmanis assisted AFI Europe Latvia in regards to a large-scale residential development project in Riga, including advising on the drafting and negotiation of contracts. Specialist counsel Sergejs Rudāns is also noted for representing clients in real estate disputes.
‘Very strong real estate practice.’
‘Well-coordinated and experienced experts, capable of managing complex and novel matters. Good depth of the team with an excellent reputation in the market. We much appreciated the project management and leadership of the partners involved.’
‘It is always a pleasure to work with the top advisers in the field, particularly Dace Silava-Tomsone, who is 100% hands-on. She is very considerate of the client’s needs and pays extraordinary attention to detail. We have no doubts about her competence in the field – she is very efficient and dedicated.’
Workland Latvia SIA
- Advised airBaltic Training on the construction project at Liepaja International Airport.
- Advised and assisted Roche Latvija in connection with reconstruction of its historic headquarters in Riga, including advising on construction, design, supervision and other contracts and obtaining the related permits.
- Advised TKM Latvija on the construction, supervision and design supervision contracts for the Skoda full-service dealership centre in Riga.
Ellex's real estate and construction practice displays 'very broad knowledge'. The team is headed by Ivars Pommers, who is described as an 'excellent negotiator'. He advised Capitalica Asset Management on the acquisition of a 1.3 hectare land plot for the construction of a new business centre in Riga. Ilga Gudrenika-Krebs is also a notable member of the team and specialises in real estate matters on both the transactional and contentious sides. Inita Jurka is experienced in real estate transactions, acting for domestic and international clients. Senior associate Inese Freivalde is recommended as 'very professional'.
‘Ivars Pommers is an excellent negotiator with a lot of experience.’
‘Zane Miglane provides quick, clear answers and is doing a good job.’
‘Both Ilga Gudrenika-Krebs and Inese Freivalde are very professional.’
‘Anete Dimitrovska is easily approachable, always available and provides very quick responses.’
‘Very broad knowledge and experience in real estate transactions.’
New Century Holdings
- Advised Lords LB Asset Management regarding the acquisition of Preses Nams and in further matters related to construction and development.
- Advised Ikea’s Latvian franchise holder on opening the first Ikea store in Latvia and related infrastructure and development matters.
- Advised Jysk on several real estate matters.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns' practice is 'professional, knowledgeable and solution driven'. The firm advises on construction disputes, infrastructure development and real estate transactions. The 'high-profile' Ilze Kramiņa and 'impressive' associate Zanda Zaļuma jointly head the team. Kramiņa is advising Estonian real estate developer Cieceres invest in relation to an administrative dispute with the Riga City Construction Board. Zaluma is active on the transactional and contentious side of construction matters, with particular experience in energy-related projects. Ginta Krukle is notable for her experience in real estate asset management and construction litigation.
‘It has been easy and pleasant to work with Eversheds Sutherland Bitans and we trust their advice on the full spectrum of legal issues, receiving quality assistance and expertise in relation to any issue.’
‘Super professional and knowledgeable, solution driven, very time and cost efficient.’
‘Maris Vainovskis, Ilze Kramina and Krista Berzina are all experts in their field’
‘Ilze Kramina’s previous experience and extensive knowledge are invaluable. She is always well-balanced, easily reachable and answers our questions or gives legal opinions within the shortest possible time. Her opinions are always well argued, she examines the issue in detail and she always looks for the most acceptable solution to the problem and if possible offers several alternatives.’
‘Ilze Kramina is a high-profile lawyer with extensive experience in real estate and construction matters and I have a complete trust in the value to our business her experience brings.’
‘Zanda Zauma has impressed us with her ability to provide in-depth analysis as well as prompt and speedy advice.’
City Development Department of Riga Municipality
BaltCap Infrastructure Fund
Energo Wind, LLC
- Assisting the City Development Department of Riga City Council with preparing the new spatial plan for Riga for the 2019-2030 period.
- Advised long-term client Energo Wind, a wind farm developer, on the development of one of the largest wind farms in Latvia.
- Advising Europe-based private investor Ivar Günther on the management, lease and sale aspects of his real estate portfolio in Latvia.
Sorainen's practice is 'experienced in all aspects of real estate and construction', advising clients such as real estate developers on the entire life cycle of a project. The 'highly professional' Lelde Laviņa leads the team. She advises both public and private sector clients and recently assisted Deglava Real Estate with a range of matters regarding the expansion of its logistics centre in Riga. Senior associate Jorens Jaunozols is advising the Linstow Group on the €70m extension of the Origo shopping centre in Riga. Senior associate Natālija Šestakova 'thinks outside the box' and is also recommended.
‘Natālija Šestakova and Lelde Lavina are highly professional, quick, have in-depth knowledge, think outside the box and see the full picture and beyond.’
‘The team work together professionally and are able to provide a full service.’
‘An experienced team in all aspects of real estate: M&A, development, construction and leasing. Quick and well-reasoned responses. Attentive to client needs.’
Hili Properties Ltd.
- Advised Luminor Bank on the sale of its head office building in Riga.
- Advised Linstow on the sale-purchase agreement for the disposal of the Galerija Centrs shopping centre to the Estonia-registered Baltic Horizon public real estate fund.
- Advised historical local brewery Aldaris (part of the Carlsberg Group) on the sale and leaseback of its real estate, consisting of a land plot and a number of buildings.
FORT's real estate and construction practice advises on real estate acquisitions and development and dispute resolution. Jānis Līkops leads the team and recently provided advice to LNK Group as the buyer of several real estate assets, including an office building in Riga. Sandis Bertaitis is a specialist in real estate disputes and construction matters. Attorney-at-law Roberts Prusis is noted for his advice on real estate acquisitions, leasing and due diligence as well as his experience in construction disputes.
Latvian Red Cross
- Advised Södra Skogsägarna ekonomisk förening on the acquisition of shares in two SPVs of Bergvik Skog in Latvia, resulting in the acquisition of 111,100 hectares of land.
- Represented Lielās ielas centrs in the sale of a major shopping centre.
- Advising Valdemara Centrs on the lease of the Valdemara Centrs office building in the centre of Riga.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Čukste Levin's practice is 'outstanding' and possesses 'deep knowledge' of the law. The firm advises clients on mixed-use real estate developments, acquisitions and disputes. The 'professional' Valters Kronbergs heads the team and recently assisted Intertrust Technologies Corporation with a new premises lease for its daughter company, whiteCryption, and advised on a claim against the former landlord. Vineta Cukste-Jurjeva is a specialist in the real estate space, representing private and public sector clients. She acted alongside senior associate Normunds Orols for Tenax Group on a range of matters including lease agreements.
‘This law firm is outstanding, with deep knowledge and negotiation skills which are not easy to find.’
‘Valters Eduards Kronbergs is a professional with deep experience and knowledge of the field. We have never found a better expert in real estate law and international business relationship management.’
European Railway Lines
- Assisted Daugava Stadium with in the construction of a new multi-purpose sports and entertainment stadium.
- Acted for LEC in a dispute over the final delivery of construction works on a major cogeneration plant in Latvia.
- Advised European Railway Lines on the organisation of design and build procurement and assistance with various legal aspects of the sketch design competition for the reconstruction of Riga Central Station and the building of new railway bridge over the Daugava River.
TGS Baltic's real estate and construction practice has experience acting for developers, owners and banks in relation to real estate acquisitions and leases. The firm also advises on project compliance. Linda Štrause leads the team and is assisting Kapitel in relation to the construction of a new €50m office complex in Riga. Associate Aija Kreicberga is also a notable member of the team, and is experienced in real estate transactions and construction matters. Sandis Petrovičs, senior associate Armands Masulis and associate Harijs Lielvārds joined the firm from Triniti in July 2019.
University of Latvia
SIA My fitness
Oracle East Central Europe Limited Branch in Latvia
- Continued to provide advice to the University of Latvia in relation to the second phase of the development of the university campus.
- Providing the full scope of real estate assistance to Møller Mobility Group companies in Latvia.
- Advised SEB banka in a dispute over a property transaction concerning whether a third party has the right of first refusal in the sale of a land plot in Riga city centre.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Primus Derling) has a 'knowledgeable and engaging' real estate and construction practice. The team has acted for investors, funds and real estate developers on construction, planning, leasing and development matters and in real estate disputes. The 'standout' Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja leads the practice. She advised VGP Latvija on the acquisition of properties for the development of an industrial park and throughout the development process. Senior associate Andis Ozoliņš is experienced in preparing lease agreements and assisting with licensing matters. Zane Eglite-Fogele is also recommended.
‘Knowledgeable and engaging. Always match the right lawyer for the particular deal. No disappointments during the last ten-plus years.’
‘Kristine Gaigule-Saveja and Zane Eglite-Fogele both stand out. What surprises me is that for even the smallest cases they engage personally to understand the initial details and find time to follow up. They always have a clear understanding of the situation and the ability to clearly explain at the right level. Their attention to detail has helped me a lot.’
Graanul Invest Group
TAV Airports group
DEPO DIY SIA
UCTAM Baltics SIA
CSK Steel SIA
- Advised Lumi Retail Property on the acquisition of a shopping centre in Riga, including structuring the deal, due diligence, and drafting and negotiating transaction documents.
- Providing day-to-day assistance to Latgran on the purchase of forest lands, including drafting and reviewing purchase agreements.
- Providing legal advice to KBP on the termination of a long-term lease agreement for a commercial building before term.
Rödl & Partner
Rödl & Partner's real estate and construction practice advises both domestic and international clients on real estate acquisitions and construction projects. Kristīne Zvejniece and Inese Lazdupe jointly lead the team; recent highlights include Zvejniece advising AAF International on a long-term lease agreement and the landlord's obligations in relation to a production facility. Ilze Ābika advises on lease agreements and construction law. Kristiāna Viļuma joined the firm from BDO Law, and is an expert in renewable energy matters.
Rettenmeier Baltic Timber
Samita Afra Vatovey
Color Expert-Storch LV SIA
- Assisting John Steins, as an owner of numerous land plots, on day-to-day matters.
- Assisting KRAG Holding and related companies in Latvia, Finland and Sweden on matters related to land plot division, the establishment of servitude rights and future construction processes.
- Advising Colour Expert-Storch LV on a long-term lease agreement.
VILGERTS's practice is noted for its experience in transactional and contentious real estate and construction matters. Developers, construction companies and investors number among the firm's clients. Gints Vilgerts and senior associate Vairis Dmitrijevs jointly lead the team. The duo recently assisted Briežu Invest in relation to the construction of three apartment buildings, including advising on amendments to the construction and financing agreements.
Air Baltic Corporation
The State Environmental Service of the Republic of Latvia
East Capital Real Estate
CICC Ehealthcare Investment Fund
- Assisted Air Baltic Corporation with the acquisition of an aircraft maintenance hangar located in Riga International Airport.
- Continuing to advise and represent the State Environmental Service of Latvia in a dispute concerning one of the largest ongoing construction projects initiated by the Republic of Latvia.
- Assisted Latio with the sale of its subsidiary, which owns and operates a commercial property in Riga.
Šķiņķis Pētersons' practice is capable of advising on 'complicated construction litigation' and 'real estate development projects'. The firm has particular expertise in construction proceedings, spatial planning and real estate projects. The 'knowledgeable' Matīss Šķiņķis and the 'responsive and experienced' Mārtiņš Pētersons jointly lead the team; Šķiņķis acts on real estate disputes while Pētersons represents companies and individuals in construction projects. Associate Mārtiņš Daģis is experienced in construction disputes.
‘Matīss Šķiņķis is knowledgeable and quickly understands the problem we are addressing. We get prompt answers from him.’
‘The firm is quite small but specialises in this particular segment of the law, including dealing with litigation and issues concerning construction and EU funds.’
‘The firm quickly and effectively solve problems. They have in-depth knowledge in their field of expertise and are well known as specialists in disputes with state institutions. They are knowledgeable of the market, construction proceedings and legal nuances.’
‘The firm’s lawyers are experts in administrative and constitutional law, including construction and spatial planning. They are able to assist in complicated construction litigation and other matters concerning real estate development projects, including environmental law.’
‘Matīss Šķiņķis is an expert in construction and spatial planning. He is easy to communicate with and he helps us understand complicated legal issues.’
‘Mārtiņš Pētersons is very responsive, always ready to help and is very experienced in construction and real estate matters.’
Partnership of Latvian Construction Entrepreneurs
Latvian Football Federation
- Advising Hausers Grupp on the development of seven apartment buildings in Riga.
- Assisting Møller Eiendom with taking over construction projects previously managed by its Latvian subsidiary.
- Representing the Latvian Football Federation in proceedings against one of Latvia’s largest construction companies, Arčers, claiming damages of €500,000.
KLOTINI & SERGIS
KLOTINI & SERGIS' practice advises domestic and international clients on the transactional and contentious side of real estate and construction matters. Varis Klotiņš, who is praised for his 'versatility and expertise', leads the team and has 25 years' experience in real estate matters, including litigation. Associate Oskars Lipskis is also noted for his advice on real estate transactions and leasing issues.
‘Varis Klotins is a prominent figure amongst Latvian lawyers, which is backed up by his versatility and expertise. He is an extremely intelligent, sympathetic and tolerant person, which has a positive influence on all the co-workers in the office.’
‘I enjoy being fully listened to. The team do not mechanically impose an opinion, but thoroughly explain the possible scenarios, their risks, and the expected outcomes. I like the fact that I feel completely involved in the process and my views are both heard and respected.’
Modus Invest LLC
Deprom LV LLC
Latvian State Roads
- Advising Deprom LV on various real estate development deals in Latvia.
- Representing OneNineOne Extreme Sports in a long-term dispute regarding the legalisation of a motor track, involving various litigations against Inčukalns Municipality and environmental associations.
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm's practice is known for advising on the development and construction of commercial and residential property and regularly acts for foreign clients investing in Latvia. The firm also assists clients with property sale transactions. Dmitri Kolesnikov leads the team. Dmitri Nikolaenko is also a key contact; he is advising industrial real estate agency Newsec LV on its day-to-day business operations, including assisting on purchase and sale deals.
LV Property SIA
Newsec LV SIA
Park Hotel Ķemeri, SIA
SIA Tal Residence
- Advised LV Property on its €1.5m acquisition and leaseback of property in Latvia.
- Advised Austrian company 7 PL Holding on the development of a residential complex in Latvia.