Fielding a sizeable team, Cobalt is distinguished through the breadth of work it handles across real estate and construction. Managing partner Dace Silava-Tomsone leads the practice and has been assisting inbound investors on the development of retail, office and hospitality properties. Guntars Zīle is another key name in the practice and is highly active in large residential projects. Other notable team members include Toms Šulmanis, who similarly focuses on residential property work but also handles commercial property matters, as well as Gatis Flinters, who is an expert in energy and infrastructure developments. Additionally, thanks to the firm’s offices in Estonia and Lithuania, it its well placed to handle pan-Baltic instructions.
Real estate and construction in Latvia
Other key lawyers:
Guntars Zīle; Toms Šulmanis; Gatis Flinters
‘Very good real estate knowledge. Good quality and timely deliverables.’
‘Dace Silava-Tomsone stands out for her very good communication, responsiveness, industry knowledge and timely preparation of good-quality documents.’
Corum Asset Management
CG Investīcijas SIA
AFI Investments SIA
Consolis Latvija SIA
Lidl Latvia SIA
Ionity Holding Gmbh
- Advised CG Investicijas SIA on the contractual and permitting issues related to the construction of a large-scale development project in downtown Riga.
- Advising Swietelsky AG as a member of the consortium bidding for the Rail Baltica RIX airport railway terminal and related infrastructure construction contract.
- Advised I Asset Management Group in relation to the construction of the three-star Hampton by Hilton hotel next to Riga International Airport.
Ellex stands out for its work advising the leading real estate investment trusts (REITs) and retailers in Latvia, with expertise in transactional work, construction contracts, leasing arrangements and environmental law. Ivars Pommers leads the practice and has been a key name in the market for assisting REITs with the management of their property portfolios. Inita Jurka has a similar focus and acts alongside Pommers on most mandates. Ilga Gudrenika-Krebs is another key name and is particularly strong in the retail sector, with expertise in complementary areas such as public procurement and arbitration. The firm also benefits from its offices in Lithuania and Estonia for pan-Baltic instructions.
Other key lawyers:
Inita Jurka; Ilga Gudrenika-Krebs; Inese Freivalde
‘Ivars Pommers is a top-notch real estate specialist.’
‘All lawyers who have provided legal assistance have been very professional and provided excellent service. I give Ellex my very best recommendation.’
‘We were very satisfied with the support and performance of the entire team. ’
‘We enjoyed working with Ivars Pommers and his team. He not only has broad experience in real estate law, but a profound economic knowledge.’
Catella Corporate Finance
Ingleby Latvia Agro, SIA
IKEA Latvian franchise holder SIA Paul Mason Properties
Lords LB Asset Management
New Century Holdings
SPI Group Companies
Capitalica Asset Management
Vienna Insurance Group
- Advised VIG Fund on the acquisition of three landmark historical buildings.
- Advising Eastnine on its Valdemara Centrs office property acquisition.
- Advising Capitalica Asset Management on signing contracts with the construction company Merks for the construction of a business centre.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns has a diverse client roster of developers, construction companies and public authorities, and is one of the most active firms in construction and real estate-related disputes. Ilze Kramiņa has a broad skillset within this space, advising on real estate transactions and construction contracts, as well as land and environment issues. On the contentious side, she has been highly active in administrative court disputes over construction permit appeals. She leads the team alongside senior associate Zanda Zaļuma, who, in addition to real estate and construction matters, has standout expertise in renewable energy projects. They are supported by Ginta Krukle, who specialises in public and administrative law. The firm benefits from its position as the most prominent international law firm based in Latvia.
Ilze Kramiņa; Zanda Zaļuma
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional and knowledgeable.’
‘They had an easy grip of the problem.’
‘I think that what makes Ilze Kramina and Zanda Zaļuma stand out is that in addition to being extremely knowledgeable, precise and able to manage a massive workload, they are also creative and agile enough to be able to bring the best solutions to projects.’
‘Always a professional attitude, very fast and productive cooperation. The service is provided at a high professional level, and the firm’s specialists are responsive and always provide consultations on issues of interest to us.’
‘Ilze Kramiņa and Zanda Zaļuma continue to impress us with their ability to adjust to the changing environment and tasks, often within very tight deadlines. The team has demonstrated detailed knowledge in the real estate and spacial planning fields, together with thorough legal advice. We are certain we are working with an exceptional team of professionals.’
‘Ilze Kramiņa and Zanda Zaļuma are both experts in the field. Ilze Kramiņa is a highly skilled lawyer with detailed knowledge in the construction and real estate sector. Her advice is fully trusted, and her work ethic and the service she provides is always flawless. Zanda Zaļuma continues to demonstrate great attention to detail, and provides speedy advice whenever needed, without losing the high standard of her work.’
Kaamos/ K8 Residences
LLC ”Rīgas jahtu centrs “ANDREJOSTA””
Cieceres invest, LLC
City Development Department of Riga municipality
Dzintarkrasta priedes LLC
Energo Wind, LLC
BaltCap Infrastructure Fund
Irbis A, LLC/Metro Capital Management
- Acted for Cieceres Invest in construction litigation, involving issues such as architectural heritage and environmental law.
- Advised Riga City Municipality regarding the preparation of the new spatial plan for Riga.
- Providing continuous legal support to LatRosTrans in respect of various real estate and construction-related matters.
With expertise in contentious and non-contentious real estate matters, Sorainen has been active in major construction projects in the area, including the Kekava Bypass, the New Riga Theatre and the Orico Shopping Centre. Lelde Laviņa heads the practice and specialises in real estate and construction, with notable strengths in handling FIDIC contracts, sale and leaseback transactions, and property acquisitions. At senior associate level, Jorens Jaunozols is highly skilled in real estate, construction and constitutional law matters. The firm’s position as a pan-Baltic firm has also increased its capabilities in cross-border work.
Other key lawyers:
Jorens Jaunozols; Natālija Šestakova
Valsts Nekustamie īpašumi (SJSC State Real Estate)
Latvijas Pārtikas Ražotājs (“LPR”)
United Bankers Omaisuudenhoito Oy
Attīstības aģentūra, a Linstow group company
Rigaburger, Hesburger group company
- Advised the Kekava ABT consortium members on the bidding stage in relation to participation in the Kekava Bypass project.
- Acted for SJSC State Real Estate in a dispute with a constructor regarding the reconstruction of the New Riga Theatre.
- Advising Attīstības Aģentūra on the extension of the Origo Shopping Centre in Riga.
TGS Baltic's broad offering covers contentious and non-contentious matters, including commercial agreements, real estate transactions and general compliance. Practice head Linda Štrause has experience of advising on key developments in the market, including assisting the Ministry of Finance with the redevelopment of Riga Castle. Agnese Hartpenga also focuses on real estate with expertise in complementary areas such as environmental law, state aid and public-private-partnerships. Sandis Petrovičs, who focuses on public procurement and disputes, is another key name, as is associate Aija Kreicberga, who has expertise in real estate transactions, construction matters and administrative law.
Other key lawyers:
Agnese Hartpenga; Sandis Petrovičs; Aija Kreicberga; Harijs Lielvārds; Armands Masulis
‘When talking about real estate development, TGS Baltic are the first firm I turn to. The team has a lot of experience with real estate transactions in the Baltics and they have been involved with most of the biggest projects and sales. Their team has good understanding when it comes to business costs and they have very good partners backed up by very good associates.’
Schwenk Latvia SIA (Previously Cemex)
VAS Valsts nekustamie īpašumi (State Real Estate) and the Ministry of Finance
Menard Polska Sp ZOO
Eesti Energia group wind parks in Latvia
Estonia Ministry of Finance
- Advising the Ministry of Finance on the renovation of Riga Castle.
- Advising Hepsor in relation to a number of property development projects in Latvia.
- Advised Moller Real Estate Baltic on its acquisition of two properties.
With ‘a strong and all-around professional team’, FORT is highly skilled in real estate transactions, leasing agreements and land ownership issues. Jānis Līkops leads the practice and has been particularly active in advising on retail and office properties. The team also includes Sandis Bertaitis, who is highly skilled in property disputes, and Roberts Prusis, who is also experienced in contentious issues as well as being highly capable in transactional and leasing work.
Other key lawyers:
Sandis Bertaitis; Roberts Prusis; Vita Rancane
‘FORT has a strong and all-around professional team that is capable of providing us with top-quality advice on all issues that arise in our course of business. Their team works quickly and efficiently.’
‘Jānis Līkops is the key person when it comes to real estate matters, and has extensive and in-depth experience in asset and M&A transactions. Sandis Bertaitis in turn is well known as a reputable attorney-at-law in dispute resolution. He can provide well-grounded and logical solutions in different disputes. We can always reach out to any of them and receive business minded and prompt assistance. We have also closely worked with associate Vita Rancane – we like that she works very quickly and is precise and well experienced in real estate and lease matters.’
Latvian Red Cross
- Advised VCenter on the sale of Valdemara Centrs.
- Advised Piche on the sale of a newly built logistics and industrial park in Riga.
- Advising Hotel Property on its acquisition of 100% of the shares in the company.
Kronbergs Cukste Levin
Kronbergs Čukste Levin has standout strengths in the sport and transport sectors, and has been instructed on major stadium and transport infrastructure projects. Valters Kronbergs leads the practice and handles transactions, contracts and leasing issues. Vineta Čukste–Jurjeva is another key name who is particularly strong in public procurement.
Other key lawyers:
Vineta Čukste-Jurjeva; Normunds Orols
TET (ex Lattelecom)
Marquee Wireless Inc.
Sun Finance Group
BT Latvia Limited
The Public Utilities Regulator
Fontes Executive Search and Fontes Vadības konsultācijas
- Advised stated-owned Daugava Stadium on drafting an agreement for the construction of new multi-purpose sports infrastructure and the reconstruction of existing infrastructure.
- Advised the Ministry of Transport on the restructuring of Latvia’s ports.
- Advised Karlsberg on a real estate acquisition financing structure and lease agreement with a buyout option.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Primus Derling) is well versed in real estate transactions, construction projects and public procurement matters. Outside these core areas, the team is also strong in lease agreements and contentious matters, as well as property matters involving airports. Kristīne Gaigule-Šāvēja leads the practice and is particularly renowned for advising on projects pertaining to the energy and transport sectors. She is supported by senior associate Andis Ozoliņš, who is highly experienced in assisting with lease agreements.
Other key lawyers:
BTA Baltic Insurance Company AAS
DEPO DIY SIA group companies
Energia verde SIA
Graanul Invest AS
LSEZ Dan Store SIA
Novira Capital OU
Plieņciema centrs SIA
Rizzani de Eccher SpA
Santa Monica Networks
Vilomix Baltic SIA
- Advised Rere Būve on a Rail Baltica public procurement contract for a building design and construction project.
- Assisted Lumi Capital with the acquisition of a logistics complex.
- Advised Vilomix Baltic on its negotiations with a municipality on the construction on a land plot.
Šķiņķis Pētersons is a boutique practice with ‘deep knowledge in construction and administrative proceedings and spatial planning’. Name partners Mārtiņš Pētersons, who is an expert in public, constitutional and administrative law, and Matīss Šķiņķis, a renowned name in public law and spatial planning, are the key contacts. The team’s workload is generally distributed between the partners, with Pētersons working on construction projects and Šķiņķis focusing on contentious issues.
Matīss Šķiņķis; Mārtiņš Pētersons
‘Deep knowledge in construction and administrative proceedings and spatial planning.’
‘The firm’s lawyers are experts in administrative and constitutional law and litigation, which in Latvia includes construction and real estate issues. They always answer our questions quickly and accurately.’
Latvian Football Federation
Lake Development (Fortum)
- Assisted Hausers Grupp with the establishment of its business in Latvia, as well as in particular construction projects.
- Advising Rimi Latvia in relation to a dispute over illegal building on the client’s land plot hindering the construction of a shopping mall.
- Advising 1Home Group on renovation projects for student hotels.
Rödl & Partner
Rödl & Partner is experienced in real estate transactions, construction projects and commercial lease agreements. This workload has typically involved properties in the retail, public and energy sectors. The team is led by Kristīne Zvejniece and Sanda Lāce, who rejoined the firm in December 2019 after her time as a sole practitioner.
Kristīne Zvejniece; Sanda Lāce
Other key lawyers:
Inese Lazdupe; Staņislavs Sviderskis
‘As far as I was concerned, the Rödl team was very efficient and supportive towards us as a rather difficult customer in a rather complicated case.’
‘Kristīne Zvejniece is simply excellent, always in the right place and doing the right thing.’
‘Staņislavs Sviderskis is excellent, very professional, precise and pays attention to details.’
‘I consider Sanda Lāce to be highly competent and skilled. She always answers emails within a few hours and has a unique ability to solve issues quickly and effectively. I am happy to give her my very best recommendations.’
Premier Restaurants Latvia – McDonalds franchisee
STOCKHOLM SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS IN RIGA SIA
Color Expert-Storch LV SIA
Dinair Filton SIA (AAF International BV)
KRAG Holding SIA
VAN GRAAF GmbH, Van Graaf Latvia SIA(Peek & Cloppenburg Hamburg group)
BALTIKA LATVJA SIA
HSH Chemie GmbH
Schaeffler Technologies AG & Co. KG
Biedrība “Latvijas Atjaunojamās enerģijas federācija”
- Providing long-term support on many real-estate related matters to McDonalds franchisee Premier Restaurants Latvia.
- Advised the Stockholm School of Economics on the acquisition of a property.
- Advised the Latvian government with regard to amendments to the Electricity Market Law, which relates to the construction of renewable energy projects.
BDO Law is an expert in matters in the public sector, advising on public procurement, public-private partnerships and construction agreements involving state-owned buildings and infrastructure. The team is led by Jānis Zelmenis and Vita Liberte, with Zelmenis typically handling contentious property matters and Liberte usually focusing on projects and advisory work.
Jānis Zelmenis; Vita Liberte
- Acted for TILTS in a civil lawsuit against the Daugavpils City Council and an associated construction project company.
- Advised Nikoteh Monolīts on the debt recovery process against the general contractor.
- Advised Cormela SA on a construction contract involving a historical building.
KLOTINI & SERGIS
NJORD Law Firm
NJORD Law Firm is experienced in advising on real estate transactions, construction contracts and leasing agreements, with a client base consisting of companies from the Baltics as well as the rest of Europe. Asset classes of particular interest include residential, commercial and industrial properties. Dmitri Kolesnikov is the key name of note.
‘With regard to real estate cases I consider NJORD as real professionals.’
‘Dmitri Kolesnikov assists my firm in different areas. I like having one contact in the law firm and appreciate his skills in different legal areas.’
LV Property SIA
NEWSEC LV SIA
Park Hotel Kemeri SIA
SIA Plienciema 16
Adventika Group SIA
SIA TAL Residence
- Advised LV Property on the acquisition and lease-back of properties of the legendary Aldaris brewery in Riga.
- Advised Avests SIA on the acquisition of title to a warehouse and the ensuing privatisation of the land that the property is on.
- Acted for fit People in a dispute regarding unpaid rent payments for the leased premises.
VILGERTS has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, covering both real estate and construction. This workload has included transactional work, construction contracts and lease agreements, as well as litigation. The team is led by name partner Gints Vilgerts and senior associate Vairis Dmitrijevs.