With an established position in the employment legal landscape, BonelliErede‘s team offers practical advice on the complex and frequently changing laws and regulations in employment and industrial relations; it is routinely involved in drafting collective and general conditions of employment agreements, compliance matters and handles directors’ employment relationships. Well-reputed Marcello Giustiniani leads the group and frequently leads on matters in connection to senior management remuneration, reorganisations and mass redundancies. The team includes Marco Maniscalco with expertise in trade union matters and Antonella Negri who specialises in social security litigation. Further core strengths include M&A transactions, international employment law issues including expatriation, cross-border issues, downsizing, collective dismissal procedures and consultations with labour unions and the Ministry of Labour.
Employment in Italy
Other key lawyers:
Marco Maniscalo; Antonella Negri; Vittorio Pomarici; Giovanni Muzina
‘I work with Marco Maniscalco and I really appreciate that he understand very well how to support the company in managing particular situations never forgetting the strategy of the company.’
With an international outlook DLA Piper provides employment law assistance in all labour, social security, and trade union matters to an impressive client base across a myriad of sectors. Practice head Fabrizio Morelli is active in handling union relations linked to transactional work and is distinguished through his expertise in commercial and international law. The combination of an academic background and solution-oriented approach makes Giampiero Falasca stand out, whereas Federico Strada is active in data protection and health and safety matters. Following the implementation of a new EU Directive under the Italian Transparency Decree, the group established a task force in July 2022 to assist clients in reviewing and amending their employee contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Giampiero Falasca; Federico Strada; Pasquale Siciliani; Maria Luisa Buscaini
‘Excellent value for money in view of the services provided. The team are generally very responsive and make themselves available at short notice, including over the summer during the holiday period. They have great local knowledge whilst also knowing how global companies like to work, so it is the best of both worlds (which has otherwise been difficult to find in Italy).’
‘Federico Strada is a strong partner. He always makes himself available for a quick call and manages the team well so that we’re getting the right level of support when we need it. He is pragmatic and also worked well with our HR team on a collective dismissal exercise this year. He has good experience managing consultation/relationships with unions, as well as all of the usual day-to-day matters you would expect. He is our go-to for employment support in Italy.’
‘They have strong knowledge of the Italian labour law and how it compares with other European legislations, they are pragmatic and make any effort to support the business, giving a key contribution to decision making on industrial relations and people management.’
Hard Rock Café
- Assisting Just Eat in drafting a union agreement to manage pay increases for riders hired in 2021, improved occupational health and safety conditions, and increased labour costs.
- Provided extrajudicial assistance to New Mauritius Hotels Limited, covering the company’s requests for assistance in labour law, tax and criminal matters.
- Assisted Sassuolo Calcio in negotiations carried out by the participating football teams in the Women’s Football League to draft the first national collective labour agreement for professional women players. The contract regulated for the first time the relationship of female players with professional athlete status by introducing important protections for maternity, equal pay, and combating harassment.
At Legance - Avvocati Associati, highly reputed managing partner Alberto Maggi heads the employment and industrial relations department which assists Italian and multinational clients in a myriad of sectors. Close cross-departmental collaborations enable the group to provide corporate, regulatory, tax, health and safety, as well as IP advice, related to employment aspects. Silvia Tozzoli is a key contact for delicate matters handling major reorganisations and the implementation of innovative business models. Tommaso Li Bassi has particular expertise in wrongful terminations, restrictive covenants, remuneration regulatory compliance and policies, insolvency procedures, and collective dismissals. Elena Ryolo and Serena Commisso were promoted to partner level in April 2022. Counsel Marco D'Agostini stands out.
Other key lawyers:
Silvia Tozzoli; Tommaso Li Bassi; Elena Ryolo; Serena Commisso; Marco D’Agostini
‘Elena Ryolo is a subtle, skilled and experienced lawyer with a profound vision of things, issues and situations. Her legal approach on HR issues also takes into consideration the psychological aspects/impacts on the employees, and this always makes the difference.’
‘Accessible, knowledgeable and practical.’
‘The Legance team is responsive and takes the time to understand our business to provide bespoke advice that we can work with. Especially in a very complex legal environment.’
‘Serena Commisso is our lead partner and we highly value her ability to anticipate the questions we will ask and provide comprehensive advice that is practical but mindful of the legal realities in Italy.’
‘They are strong labor law advisors with an outstanding business understanding.’
‘The team always seems coordinated and aligned inside so as to give the customer only one advice.’
‘Mrs. Elena Ryolo is always available just in time, to provide support in a very fast way, when needed.’
Bang & Olufsen
Bonfiglioli Riduttori S.p.A.
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Credito Lombardo Veneto
Cutler & Gross
Daikin Applied Europe
Dana Holding Corporation and Dana Italia
Legal & General Investment Management
MBDA Italia S.p.A.
MAW Men at Work
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Olon (Fidia pharma group)
Shire International GmbH
William Blain International
Wise SGR S.p.A.
- Assistance to Dassault Systèmes and Centric Software in the acquisition, by the latter’s Italian subsidiary, of 100% of the share capital of Armonica Retail, an innovative IT start-up providing native cloud solutions to retailers in the luxury and fashion sectors.
- Assistance to a group of investors led by Stephen Pagliuca, Co-chairman of Bain Capital and Co-owner of Boston Celtics, in the acquisition of a majority stake in Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio.
- Assisting the Olon Group in structuring a suitable contractual framework and the relevant internal policies to protect its IP rights and know – how and to regulate the inventions of its employees.
Employment boutique Toffoletto De Luca Tamajo is led by highly reputed Franco Toffoletto and Raffaele De Luca Tamajo out of Milan and Naples, respectively. Besides its vast national geographic presence, the group opened new offices in Turin and Venice in July 2022. As a founding member of the international employment law network Ius Laboris, the group has outstanding international capabilities in assisting clients in all employment related aspects. Emanuela Nespoli specialises in restructuring, agency contracts and employment litigation, next to M&A and reorganisations. Valeria Morosini stands out for her specialism in diversity and equality matters advising companies on potential liabilities. Ezio Moro and Andrea Bortoluzzi joined in July 2022.
Franco Toffoletto; Raffaele De Luca Tamajo
Other key lawyers:
Emanuela Nespoli; Valeria Morosini; Lorenzo Gelmi
‘Toffoletto De Luca Tamajo shows an impressive capability to understand the business needs and put any topic in the right perspective for the best solution or an innovative approach.’
‘Notwithstanding the fact anyone owns top level knowledge in the field, they are easy to reach and stay by your side until the very very end of the issue. Thorough technical capabilities together with full client partnership.’
‘The team and the firm is flexible, result driven, very quick and business oriented. I am very satisfied in the partnership with Toffoletto’s team.’
‘Francesco Lorenzi is a great partner. Always available, expertise, business oriented and capable to deal ambiguity. One of the best lawyers I have worked with.’
‘I work with Francesco Lorenzi who is an outstanding professional. He provides advice with great business oriented approach in a swift and effective way. He is always available and proactive. He knows how to deliver the best advice also in English. Clearness and effectiveness are his major strengths.’
‘Always well informed about the relevant news and available to provide instructions and insights, via webinars as well as in one-to-one discussions. Focused on the best way to support their clients thanks to standardized tools, technology and a wide network of experts to get the most advanced skills and knowledge for each field (legislation, tax, etc.’
‘Outstanding knowledge of all topics related to labor law and deep understanding of the client’s needs valuable advice also on new topics of the labor law, anticipating arising needs. very good in analytical skills and judgement’
‘Business acumen; Prompt answers; Great flexibility; Exceptional knowledge.’
- Advised Covisian in a complex negotiation which saved the jobs of more than 500 employees through a double agreement signed before the Ministry of Labour.
Chiomenti’s employment group boasts a stellar client portfolio, most notably in the luxury fashion, automotive and banking sectors. Thanks to a close collaboration with the M&A department, the team has capabilities to handle highly complex transactions from collective redundancies, restructurings, and implementations of social and welfare policies. Practice head Emanuele Barberis has significant expertise in all employment law aspects in the fashion industry and retail sector, frequently acting for high-profile Italian and multinational clients. Annalisa Reale specialises in the airline sector and is often involved in the implementation of social plans and state-aide support schemes. Managing counsel Valeria De Lucia was promoted in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Annalisa Reale; Valeria De Lucia
‘Chiomenti’s employment practice is a force to be reckoned with in the Italian labour panorama. They are particularly strong and supportive. The team has a great expertise, is pragmatic, hands-on and very agile. What makes the team unique is high qualification and the professional approach of the partner Emanuele Barberis.’
‘Strengths: solid expertise, flexibility to move from theoretical positions to give concrete support when the company is facing new challenges. The ability to identify useful solutions to solve problems. The credibility recognized by opposing attorneys and the Court.’
‘Partners: strong expertise, experience, common sense problem solving and knowledge in managing labour negotiations.’
‘Emanuele Barberis is proactive and always thinking of different ways to achieve a result minimizing the legal risk for the client. He is a reference point also for legal advice in other jurisdiction, indeed he is incredibly well connected, and can quickly bring in excellent, responsive counsel in other countries within and outside the European Union, particularly in complex cross-border issues. what makes Emanuele unique are the creativeness and the height responsiveness. He is able to understand the needs of demanding clients (in particular in the luxury business), providing concise and insightful advice.’
‘Availability; competences; negotiation skills; fair market fees.’
‘Strong capability in finding a lot of solutions to reach interesting agreements, in addition to strong competences and fair fees.’
Dolce & Gabbana
De Agostini Group/ Dea Capital Group
Bain & Co
Fondo Strategico Italiano/Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Volkswagen Group Italia
Anacap Investment Fund
Boutique firm De Luca & Partners provides a full-service employment service. Regularly involved in employment aspects of major domestic and cross-border transactions across a diverse range of industries, the group counts multinational corporations and private equity funds including Shell Italia and Bio-Rad Laboratories among its clients. Managing partner and practice head Vittorio De Luca is well-reputed for handling reorganisations, restructuring, M&A and private equity transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. Alberto De Luca advises on all aspects of employment law, trade union negotiations and agency matters. Enrico De Luca is another key contact. Stefania Raviele was promoted to partner in June 2022.
Vittorio De Luca
Other key lawyers:
Alberto De Luca; Enrico De Luca; Stefania Raviele
‘Strong legal competencies, professionalism and courtesy are the focus of Studio De Luca & Partners managed by Vittorio De Luca and you can feel it from the first meeting. Vittorio De Luca is distinguished by his mastery of the subject and the ability to study each situation in depth, all of which always leads to clear and fair results.’
‘I have been supported both by Vittorio De Luca and Roberta Padula in a very coordinated way with much attention to my needs and my requests and a very effective outcome. It is not frequent to find such attention which makes you feel something different from a simple customer. I have also noticed their expertise and the ability to leverage the company assets in order to find the right solution.’
‘Direct collaboration with Vittorio de Luca was pleasant, he gave access to the specifics of the Italian labor & contract law and the pitfalls of the Italian environment in comparison to other jurisdictions and experiences. If needed, always accessible and very responsive, even in a challenging working environment during times of covid19 restrictions.’
‘De Luca & Partners is a very recognized law firm in the field of labor law for its authority and competence. Over the last few years, we have worked a lot, dealing with extraordinary transactions such as company transfers and corporate mergers, hiring and dismissals of all kinds, as well as labor disputes. There was no lack of particularly delicate situations to manage.’
‘Vittorio De Luca is our reference partner in the Firm. Vittorio, probably also due to his degree in economics as well as in law, in complex situations, knows how to make a significant strategic and operational contribution to the search for solutions. A characteristic of Vittorio is his flexibility and availability. I happened to consult him and get support even once he was on vacation on top of a mountain.’
‘What I think a client would appreciate most, as I do, is the guarantee that Alberto will always tell you the truth, whether it is good or not. Will never try to disguise reality, make things better or easier than they really are, so that you as a company know exactly what you have to deal with and afford, and which risks are present, with no surprises.’
‘De Luca & Partners have provided us with advice, guidance and support as we set up a team for our operations in Milan. As a UK company, this is our first experience of Italian employment law and contracts – and De Luca’s support and patience has been outstanding.’
‘We work with Vittorio De Luca and Raffaele Di Vuolo. Both have been welcoming, friendly and insightful about the challenges facing a foreign employer contracting a team in Italy. Their advice has been clear, despite the language challenges (we are reliant on their English as our Italian is insufficient). They have ben conscientious in pointing out potential obstacles and issues e.g. upcoming changes to Italian law.’
Emerson Electric Co
Shell Italia Oil Products S.r.l.
Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
Treofan Italy S.r.l.
Gunnebo Italia S.p.A.
European Cargo Service Group
Sunset & Vine Productions Ltd
Aksìa Group SGR S.p.A.
Cargolux Italia S.p.A.
Lush Italia S.r.l.
Pillarstone Italy S.p.A.
PIMCO Europe GmbH – Italian Branch
Poltrona Frau S.p.A. – Part of Haworth Group
Burford Capital Services Limited
Eurogroup Deutschland GmbH
Grohe S.p.A. (
Westport Fuel Systems Italia S.r.l.
- Advised Emerson Electric Co with implementing a significant social plan for a plant closure at one of its Italian subsidiaries, involving industrial and institutional relations.
- Assisted Shell Italia Oil Products with the labour and employment law aspects related to the acquisition of Solar Konzept Italia, a company operating in the photovoltaic sector.
- Acted for Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc. on the restructuring of its Italian business unit.
Gianni & Origoni offers the full spectrum of employment legal advisory and litigation assistance to a mix of multinational and domestic clients. Calling on cross-departmental expertise allows the group to expand its portfolio beyond handling industrial and trade union relations, restructurings and reorganisations to managing employment aspects intersecting with criminal law including regulatory aspects, ESG and compliance matters, as well as M&A transactions and cross-border work. Clients are drawn from a wide range of industries and include several important multi-national groups operating in Italy. Alessandra Ferroni and Saverio Schiavone jointly head the practice from Milan and Rome, respectively.
Other key lawyers:
‘Emanuele Panattoni and his team are able to provide legal assistance at the highest levels. Having built a solid track record on labour law, Emanuele Panattoni and his team are able to assist clients operating in various business sectors.’
‘Emanuele Panattoni and his team are extremely passionate and enthusiastic people, it is a pleasure to work with them. Being part of one of the most important law firms, Emanuele Panattoni and his team are able to offer assistance on particularly complex and multidisciplinary issues’
‘Lawyers are extremely skilled. Able to work in an international environment. Excellent level of English. Precision and full availability. Prompt response.’
‘Competence, availability and always being present on every occasion great flexibility which always correspond to efficiency and punctuality’
‘The team is very skilled and experienced. The pragmatism and concreteness in solution proposed.’
‘Cristina Capitanio is a very skilled and prepared professional , very attentive and analytical, always available and very focused on achieving the goal in ways that ensure a correct balance between costs and benefits. She is a very scrupulous professional and intellectually honest towards the client.’
‘Very strong employment team headed by Alessandra Ferroni, fluently English speaking, used to advise international clients and knowing what is relevant for them’
‘Alessandra Ferroni is easy to work with, very professional, dedicated to the needs of the client (as is her team), comes with a lot of experience and provides clear guidance’
Aurora Recovery Capital
EniProgetti – ENI SpA
Federazione Italiana Tennis (FIT)
Hitachi Industrial Engineering
Lindt & Sprungli
Santander Consumer Bank
Tamoil Italia S.p.A.
Yamaha Motor Europe NV
- Review and validation of contractual and procedural aspects as well as the delegation of powers within the complex HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) compliance and management system adopted by ENI in a total of 14 jurisdictions with a view to subsequently applying the same organizational and compliance model to all existing subsidiaries/entities.
- Assistance to Zurich Insurance Company Ltd. in all labour law issues related to the acquisition from Deutsche Bank S.p.A. of its financial advisory business unit, made up by more than 1000 financial advisors, 90 employee and 17 billion of assets under management.
- Assistance to Transmedics BV, a company acting in the field of design and manufacturing of medical devices and the sale, distribution and commercialization of medical products to be used for organ (heart, lung and liver) transplants, in managing the termination of an employment agreement with a high ranked employee operating in Italy.
LABLAW - Studio Legale’s employment group assists domestic and foreign clients out of several offices in Italy on a range of individual and collective employment law matters from day-to-day advice to major corporate restructurings to complex cross-border M&A due diligence. Over the past year, the group has been particularly active with handling restructuring agreements and union negotiations, as well as numerous litigations and consultations. The group is headed by Francesco Rotondi and Michela Bani. Angelo Quarto and Alessandro Paone complete the team.
Francesco Rotondi; Michela Bani
Other key lawyers:
Angelo Quarto; Alessandro Paone
‘Knowledge of the market; out-of-the box thinking; practical and problem-solving approach.’
‘Trustful relationship. I’ve been working with both Angelo Quarto and Francesco Rotondi for years and I appreciate the knowledge, the innovative approach and the business acumen.’
‘The team’s main strength is the ability to provide business-oriented solutions in a timely manner. Their suggestions are always astute and effective.’
‘The team I work with is diverse since it is almost an all-female team (including the partner), all coming from different parts of Italy, that it is quite unusual in Italian market.’
‘Michela Bani is probably the best lawyer I have ever worked with. I have always the feeling she is “fighting” with me to find the best outcome for my company. She is always available, she never misses a deadline and always provides excellent work. The fees are reasonable compared to other law firms I have worked with in the past.’
Acquirente Unico S.p.A.
Sopra Steria Group S.p.A.
Giuseppe Bottiglieri Shipping Company S.p.A.
Dimac Red S.p.A.
G Action Group s.r.l. consortile
Trelleborg Wheel Systems Italia S.p.A.
G Action Pol s.r.l.
Gruppo Ferrovie dello Stato Italiano
Gruppo Gpack S.p.A.
Il Sentiero soc. coop. a r.l
Banca di Credito Cooperativo di Pescia
Pistoia Musei S.p.A.
Romeo Gestioni S.p.A.
Serge Ferrari S.p.A.
ICS International School
IMI Critical Engineering
Elpe Global Logistic Service S.p.A.
Citizen of Humanity S.r.l.
Gruppo Antolin Italia Srl
Romeo Gestioni S.p.A.
Oknoplast Sp. z.o.o.
Blyth Academy Florence Srl
Gnutti Carlo S.p.A.
Schweizer Projekt AG
Gruppo Medio Credito Centrale
GKN Automotive Group
Getra Power S.p.A.
Contship Italia S.p.A.
Bosch Group S.p.A
Jil Sander S.p.A.
Société Générale SA
Discovery Italia S.r.l.
Agicap Italia S.r.l.
Gruppo Urmet S.p.A.
Sky Italia S.r.l.
Dussmann Service S.r.l.
Agos Ducato S.p.A.
Tecnologie Diesel S.p.A.
Banca Popolare di Bari S.p.A.
Qosina Europe srl
H.I.G. Avara Acquisition, Inc.
Mott MacDonald s.r.l.
Cycling Sports Group
Prenatal Retail Group S.p.A.
Ovb Consulenza Patrimoniale S.r.l.
Swisslog Healthcare Italy
Ebara Precisions Machinery GmbH
Oliver James Associates S.r.l.
- Assisted GKN in the industrial relations and labour procedure aimed at the shut-down of its plant and related facilities in Florence, making redundant all the workforce (approx. 430 employees).
- Assisted in litigation regarding the request for annulment of measures issued by INPS, insofar as they did not provide for application of the contribution relief in favour of Employment Agencies with registered offices in Northern Italy that supply their own workers to users with offices in Southern Italy.
- Assisted Sky Italia in the implementation of the Group reorganisation process with an impact on a number of resources equal to 3,000, to be accompanied by the exit by 2023.
Highly esteemed employment law expert Angelo Zambelli left Grimaldi Studio Legale to set up his own boutique Zambelli & Partners in 2022. The two other founding partners Barbara Grasselli and Alberto Testi have been working with Zambelli for over 25 years. The team amassed a high level of expertise in the full spectrum of employment and labour law, industrial relations and issues relating to agency contracts and labour litigation. The group advises domestic and foreign clients in the planning and implementation of extraordinary finance operations and restructuring plans, including the reorganisation and downsizing of companies.
Other key lawyers:
Barbara Grasselli; Alberto Testi
Piaggio & C. S.p.A.
MHPS Italia S.r.l. (Konecranes Group)
Nokia Solutions and Networks Italia S.p.A.
L’Oréal Italia S.p.A.
UBS Europe SE – Succursale Italia
Wittur Holding Gmbh
Theramex HQ UK Limited / Theramex Italy S.r.l.
MNS Limited Liability Company
Havas Media S.r.l.
Prealpi S.p.A. – Industria Casearia
China Construction Bank (Europe) S.A.
Mutares Italy S.r.l.
Galileo Global Education Italia
Atos Italia S.p.A.
Banca Centro Lazio Credito Cooperativo
Ligo Electric SA
Pillarstone Italy S.p.A.
Kardex Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted UBS Europe SE – Succursale Italia in several litigations which have been triggered by such bank against those former Client Advisors who had breached their non-competition and non-solicitation obligations.
- Assisted in the implementation of the staff reduction plan as authorised by the Bankruptcy Court of Milan within the framework of the composition with creditors procedure (concordato preventivo).
- Assisted Mr. Stefano Vecchi, top manager of UniCredit S.p.A. currently holding the role as Head of Wealth Management & Private Banking Italy, in negotiating the terms and conditions of his termination by mutual consent of his employment relationship with the bank.
ADVANT Nctm’s independent employment and industrial relations department has a notable reputation for handling terminations, trade union negotiations and in close collaboration with the M&A department, handling bankruptcies and restructurings. Employment and industrial relations expert Michele Bignami is the key contact and leads the practice. He handles incentives, employment issues connected to restructuring, trade union negotiations, collective contracts and dismissals. Roberta Russo advises enterprises and financial institutions on employment challenges connected to M&A transactions and corporate restructurings. Francesca Pittau and Daniele Fumagalli are other key contacts.
Other key lawyers:
Roberta Russo; Francesca Pittau; Daniele Fumagalli
‘Knowledge of the retail and real estate industry, ability to anticipate needs and qualified collaborators!’
‘Corporate vision, skills, quick responses, problem solving.’
‘The team has high level professional skills and knowledge; someone in the team is always available for a support in short time and the team members are working together, so that they are interchangeable in case of need. Diversity is highly granted and respected as well.’
‘The individuals I work with are always professional, available, polite, supportive, kind.’
- Assisting Unieuro S.p.A. in relation to the consequent need to rationalise, within its expansion program based on the several acquisitions of competitors, its presence in the Italian territory by closing units that were overlapping or located in non-profitable areas.
- Legal assistance to Elior Group in relation to a significant number of complex employment litigations spread through Italy as well as to the managing of the activities through the Covid-19 pandemic and the crisis of business catering industry.
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie
Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie‘s employment practice provides a full-service offering on all labour law aspects. Thanks to a strong international network and close cross-practice cooperation, the sizeable team has capabilities to assist domestic and international clients in reorganisations, industrial relations and related litigation. Under the leadership of practice head Massimiliano Biolchini, the team recently diversified and expanded its client portfolio. Serena Fantinelli, an experienced transactional and advisory lawyer, was promoted to partner in 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Antonio Luigi Vicoli; Serena Fantinelli; Vincenzo Di Gennaro
‘They work in partnership with us. Great support / responsiveness during a period of urgent high complexity work.’
‘Antonio Luigi Vicoli – explains concepts clearly, practical and easy to work with. Really good understanding of our business and industry knowledge.’
‘Serena Fantinelli is my business partner, see below her strengths points pragmatic approach strong knowledge of labour law ability to understand the issue to face prompt answer availability accountability engagement.’
The Walt Disney
Martini & Rossi – Bacardi Group
Lloyd’s of London
- Advised Caterpillar Hydraulics Italy in a major collective dismissal procedure, successfully concluded with a reindustrialisation agreement signed in the context of a crisis table before the Ministry of Economic Development and the Ministry of Labour.
- Advised Whirlpool EMEA in the closure of its Naples manufacturing plant, through a major collective dismissal procedure successfully concluded in the context of a crisis table before the Ministry of Economic Development and the Ministry of Labour.
- Advised The Walt Disney Store in the close-down of all their 20 stores across the country, with significant media coverage and personal involvement of the Minister of Economic Development.
Clifford Chance‘s employment department combines local expertise with access to a strong, global network which allows the team headed by Simonetta Candela to assist leading companies on all employment law matters pertaining to multijurisdictional corporate transactions, trade union negotiations and industrial relations. Candela has particular expertise in remuneration and regulatory matters in the credit and financial sector, restructuring processes and litigation; she is assisted by associate Marina Mobiglia.
Other key lawyers:
‘All team members are always very collaborative, they try to clearly understand your needs and provide timely support.’
‘Marina Mobiglia is a very qualified labour lawyer.’
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Daikin Applied Europe S.p.A.
Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management
Infrastructure Investment Fund
- Advising and assisting Daikin Applied Europe S.p.A. on all employment matters in relation to termination of employment and Health and Safety issues.
- Advised Infrastructure Investment Fund in relation to the labour aspects of the acquisition of the 60% of the share capital of Falck Renewables.
- Assisted a primary foreign group active in large-scale distribution in a successful restructuring plan that was concluded by a union agreement envisaging a group’s reorganisation with particular attention to processes of professional requalification and management of internal active policies.
Employment specialist Davide Boffi heads up Dentons‘s employment team which is particularly reputed for assisting Italian and multinational clients in restructuring projects, trade union negotiations and agency relationship advice. Boffi also heads the firm’s Europe employment and labor practice and is particularly known for his expertise in all three main areas, both in and out of court. Luca De Menech is another key contact, most notably in connection to trade union negotiations, bankruptcy and reorganisation cases. Thanks to its international network, the group offers the expertise and knowledge of a boutique combined with the footprint of a global firm.
Other key lawyers:
Luca De Menech; Marco Alessandro Prandelli
‘Time effectiveness. Ability to anticipate customer needs and talent to liaise with the customer in order to develop the shared roadmap.’
‘They have a very multinational mindset, that fits my organization They always provide a structured written analysis of the matter with all the possible solutions.’
‘They are committed to solve things in a timely manner, often before the deadline. They are always available, at any time. They a practical and resolutive approach.’
‘Competences, professional skills, availability, international network.’
‘From a global perspective, Dentons is a strong partner for labour law. They are really efficient and proactive, in managing all situations. They are an international company, so they can provide a worldwide service, which is definitely a plus for companies located in different countries.’
‘The individuals who have been working with us are extremely proactive, they definite understand our needs and know how to support efficiently, in order to maximize the benefit of a high level consultancy and time/costs. They really “take care” of the customer, and are always supportive.’
‘Competence, availability, courtesy and professionalism Ability to listen to the customer and understand the needs and peculiarities of the sector.’
‘The typical strengths of the Dentons teams we work with is the quick communication between members, their effective coordination in order to solve problems. Their focus on understanding the context in which the company works is remarkable. Even in the absence of one person, the team still moves forward.’
ItalPresseGauss (Norican Group)
Motorola Solutions, Inc.
- Advising ItalPresseGauss (Norican Group) on the in-depth reorganisation of the corporate and employment structure and in the redefinition of production processes, through the signing of a Trade Unions framework agreement with the territorial organisations and the works council in which the management plan of about 40 redundancies (which was then increased to 50 employees) was successfully defined and the signing of a solidarity contract that incorporates the recent news of the Budget Law 2022.
- Advising LU-VE Group, a manufacturer of air heat exchangers listed on Euronext Milan, in the acquisition, through the subsidiary SEST, of a branch of the company of Italia Wanbao ACC under extraordinary administration. The operation also provides, in compliance with the trade union agreement signed with all the social partners in April 2022 with the direct involvement of the Ministry of Economic Development and the Veneto Region, the hiring by June 2024 of 150 employees previously employed in ACC.
- Advising Motorola Solutions, Inc. on the employment aspects related to the acquisition of the entire share capital of Videotec S.p.A.
Newly established employment boutique FAILLA & Partners provides a full-service employment and industrial relations offering to longstanding and new Italian and multinational clients. The highly reputed Luca Failla left Deloitte Legal Italy to open his own practice which he heads together with Marcello Buzzini, Elisabetta Cassaneti, Claudia Marasciuolo and Paola Salazar. The firm focuses on providing advisory and litigation assistance to domestic and international businesses on executive contract negotiations, directors and officer’s liability, competition protection, personnel reduction, agency relationships, reorganisations, trade union negotiations, privacy, dismissals, and pension schemes.
Luca Failla; Marcello Buzzini; Elisabetta Cassaneti; Claudia Marasciuolo; Paola Salazar
‘The founder and managing partner has an incredible competence, enthusiasm, passion and drive.’
‘Elisabetta Cassaneti is great at making things happen. Very committed and very timely.’
‘Luca Failla: by far the best labour lawyer in Italy. Serious, prepared, with the ability to put various points into a framework.’
‘The personal dedication we receive is noteworthy. We also appreciate the innovative approach to legal questions and the exhaustive care that has been brought to our cases. The legal position is based on layers of argument which makes our positions robust and intellectually convincing.’
‘The care we receive, the personal engagement, the intellectual dialogue. The team has come to know us and we have constructed an authentic relationship. We have been able to engage in a back-and-forth relationship that we feel has given us exceptional representation.’
‘Luca Failla: well connected and a very respected name in the sector.’
‘Elisabetta Cassaneti: the best in driving the operations of the team, coordinating and making it happen, while finding also a base for the core ideas.’
Feltrinelli Publishing Group
Acqua & Sapone
Chaberton Human Resources Services
La Perla fashion
International School Florence
- Providing assistance to ADECCO daily, in and out of court, not only in reference to there 2000 strong workforces but indeed to the 30,000 staffing and temporary work employees they outsource to clients every day.
- Day-to-day counsel to IKEA’s activities on the peninsula where they are 20+ stores around the country, including advice on tax and pensions, disciplinary, dismissals, and reorganisation.
- Defending a client against claims of asbestos poisoning made by family members of deceased employees.
The employment team at Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici offers advice in all employment law and industrial relations matters. From day-to-day advisory work to assistance to companies in complex litigation, from employment contracts, restructuring businesses to industrial relations and other types of negotiations. Paola Tradati and Nicola Bonante jointly head the group which boasts recognised market expertise in the fashion, financial services as well as in the food and beverage sectors.
Paola Tradati; Nicola Bonante
‘I think that what makes this practice unique is the incredible synergy that the senior partners (Tradati and Bonante) have with each other, after many years of working together in GPBL, Toffoletto and GOP. I have known both Paola and Nicola for many years. In particular, I have known Nicola for almost twenty years. Over this time, I have seen Nicola grow from a junior associate at GOP to, what I have heard many say both in the industry and outside of the same, one of the best minds in this practice area in Italy. I have worked for, and with, Nicola. I have referred a number of C- level executives to him and, more recently, Nicola assisted the Company I now work for in its set-up phase with exceptional insight and understanding in a difficult environment.’
‘Nicola Bonante stands out because he doesn’t just give you an answer off the top of his head. He is never superficial. He doesn’t make guesses or estimates. He gets to the core of the matter, looks at every aspect, both in and out of the box, and then he gets back to you. All in a timely manner. You feel that your trust is well placed and I have seen sceptical and worried clients literally take a sigh of relief. We certainly did when he came on board to assist us in a very complicated start-up in partnership with a well-known Italian bank. Nicola is a business partner, not just a lawyer and, with an eye on costs in a fast evolving environment, I don’t think one could ask for more.’
‘The team has really strong technical skills. They are fast in the cooperation with the company and able to understand relevant business topic in order to advice the proper solution in case of legal issues.’
‘The team is very close-knit and aligned to the needs of the client.’
‘Proactivity, goal oriented, realism.’
‘Competence, availability, precision, speed in the fulfillment of requests.’
- Assistance provided to leading international company producing eyeglasses, in a complex litigation case.
- Advice rendered to a leading Italian fashion brand on the management of the reorganisation of the company, during and after the Covid-19 emergency, including the drafting of ad hoc agreements and protocols, and assisting in the context of CIGD agreements as well as assisting in sensitive termination of employment agreements and dismissals and subsequent negotiations with the relevant employees/executives.
- Assisting a US-based online travel company in analysing new legislation in the area of the gender pay gap in the workplace and drawing up updates as well as timelines for action on the obligations required.
Grimaldi Studio Legale‘s employment group has seen a significant change over the past year. While Angelo Zambelli left to open his own firm, five new partners from Boursier Niutta & Partners and Studio Legale Boffoli joined and are now heading the team, including experienced employment lawyer Enrico Boursier Niutta. The sizeable group provides judicial and extrajudicial assistance to domestic and foreign clients in all employment related matters, with particular capabilities in restructuring, collective redundancies and relocations, and trade union negotiations. Benefiting from the team’s size, diversity and seniority levels, specialised working groups are curated to provide tailored assistance to Italian companies, their subsidiaries and international groups.
Enrico Boursier Niutta; Maddalena Boffoli; Antonio Armentano; Federico D’Aiuto; Patrizio Maria Raimondi
Other key lawyers:
Carlo Boursier Niutta; Barbara Minella; Giovanni Morpurgo; Antonio La Bella
Trelleborg Wheel Systems Italia S.p.A.
British American Tobacco S.p.A.
Angelini Pharma S.p.A.
Prometeon Tyre Group s.r.l.
Open Fiber S.p.A.
Gruppo Biancamano S.p.A. in extraordinary administration
Interflora Italia S.p.A.
Barents Reinsurance SA
Isaia e Isaia S.p.A.
RATP Dev Italia S.r.l.
Key2people Executive Search Srl
- Assistance to Gori S.p.A. in the drafting of latest individual/corporate agreements concerning remote working, which allowed the company to become a landmark for all other companies in the area of the Campania Region (the Project is also on HRC portal).
- Assistance to Tim S.p.A. in the drafting of agency agreements with TIM Business Partners, development of existing agency relationships and legal advice on related indemnity and termination fees.
- Assistance to Gruppo Biancamano S.p.A. in amministrazione straordinaria in Union negotiations for the transfer of employees following the corporate transfer, which resulted in savings for the procedure bodies and the preservation of employees’ rights.
Simmons & Simmons
Simmons & Simmons‘s employment practice advises on the full spectrum of employment law matters from restructurings, to negotiating senior exits, workplace investigations and the conduct and settlement of litigation to day-to-day advice on employment policies and contracts, employee relations issues and compliance. Davide Sportelli leads the team, supported by of counsel Emanuela Boca, and newly promoted managing associate Luigi Ricci Palopoli. Through its International Employment Group, the group combines the benefits of a large, international, multi-practice firm with the quality and expertise of a boutique employment law firm. Stefano Lava was a new arrival in April 2023.
Other key lawyers:
Emanuela Boca; Luigi Ricci Palopoli; Stefano Lava
‘It is an extremely heterogeneous but compact team. Different skills and approaches come together to provide a service tailored to your needs. Trained professionals who are always available. Even in the case of complex questions, they face them with a very deep and accurate approach, providing a clear legal framework and suggesting various possible solutions. They have been supportive on different topics (eg: diversity & inclusion, investigation, harassment in the workplace, regulations and policies…).’
‘Knowledge of the reality and particularities of our company, the availability for confrontation, even at short notice, the quality of the answers they give, the knowledge of the counterparts that allows them to find the best way to pass company decisions ‘gracefully’.’
‘Pragmatic and analytical approach.’
Giorgio Armani Group including:
Giorgio Armani S.p.A.
Giorgio Armani Retail S.r.l.
Giorgio Armani Operations
LVMH Group including:
LVMH Italia S.p.A.
Louis Vuitton Italia S.r.l.
Celine Italia S.r.l.
LVMH Profumi e Cosmetici Italia S.r.l.
Acqua di Parma S.r.l.
F2i SGR S.p.A.
EG Italia S.p.A.
Staffgroup International Limited
- Advised Toshiba in the transfer of an undertaking related to the energy systems, particularly advising on labour procedures as part of a major divestment where the target was heavily IT interconnected.
- Assisted Giorgio Armani S.p.A. in a delicate disciplinary procedure and subsequent dismissal for gross misconduct.
- Assisting F2i Sgr and Kairos Partners Sgr in implementing their very first remote working policy by drafting a dedicated “remote working check list” for financial institution clients and drafting a tailor made “smart working policy”, including the necessary amendments in order to update the policies to the new “Protocollo Nazionale sul Lavoro Agile” recently approved by the Italian trade unions.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato‘s employment law practice splits between employment advice, litigation, and transaction-driven work and particularly stands out for its strong presence in the banking and finance sector, representing a large number of top international banks in Italy. The group, led by Livio Bossotto, is specialised in high-end strategic engagements such as sensitive investigations and whistleblowing matters. A growing M&A market has led to an increase in multi-billion transaction-driven employment work. Giorgia Giorgetti is a key member the team and was promoted to counsel in May 2022.
Other key lawyers:
‘The employment practice and its lawyers show an outstanding extent of reachability, attention and availability to promptly consider and support the client’s needs, accuracy and timeliness in providing required feedback and legal inputs. Furthermore, there is a well-structured connection with the network of international firms providing legal advise for jurisdictions in foreign countries.’
‘Reachability, timeliness and attention to pursue a close connection with the client and to understand its needs are remarkably displayed by lawyers Mr. Livio Bossotto and Mr. Claudio Chiarella.
‘Flexibility in changing approach to any needed extent to the management of the case of legal assistance aslo a key asset.’
International School of Europe
- Advice to a consortium of leading international investment banks active in Italy on staff retention, the war for talent, and how to protect their systems from potential theft of trade secrets.
- Advised SAP on the employment and data protection aspects related to the cross-border acquisition of Askdata.
- Advised Euronext on Italian employment law matters in connection with its acquisition of Borsa Italiana, the Italian Stock Exchange, from the London Stock Exchange.
Bird & Bird‘s employment practice is particularly appreciated for its full-service employment offering, coupled with a strong cross-border service thanks to the firm’s established international network. As an integrated part of the firm’s international HR services team, the team is frequently mandated to act as lead coordinator for its global clients. The team, which is co-headed by Amedeo Rampolla and Cristiano Pambianchi, assists clients in connection with both local and multi-jurisdictional re-organisations, redundancies and business transfers, including assisting in local trade union consultations and with employee terminations. Recently, the team has focused on complex litigation including representing employers in high-value whistleblowing, discrimination and breach of contract disputes.
Amedeo Rampolla; Cristiano Pambianchi
‘We are an English (Australian) organisation and although I speak Italian we often use English to converse. We also ensure that we write documents in English and Italian so that the parent company can have full transparency. The lawyer I use a B&B for Employment contracts and question has an excellent comprehension and expression of English. WE have an odd staff structure with Italian and Australian staff thus to maintain fairness and transparency they need to appreciate to strange organization we run. We stretch Italian law and often provide generous compensation be if financially or leave, B&B understand and assist’
‘The team is highly experienced, with a strong know-how and high capability in various areas with legal implications: labour, taxation, regulatory and pharma environment. The team is fast and highly precise in giving advice and support.’
‘Availability and speed of response.’
‘Cristiano Pambianchi – excellent support, always available, ability to craft messaging for a non-Italian lawyer and stakeholders from rest of world.’
Daverio & Florio Studio Legale
Daverio & Florio Studio Legale provides legal assistance to a diverse client base, including domestic and international clients active across a range of industry sectors on all aspects of labour and social security law. The sizeable team is particularly active in the banking and chemical-pharmaceutical industries with expertise in restructuring, transfers, mergers, windings-up and capital withdrawal and all types of employment contracts. The practice is headed by Fabrizio Daverio, Salvatore Florio and Bernardina Calafiori.
Fabrizio Daverio; Salvatore Florio; Bernardina Calafiori
‘State-of-the-art knowledge and expertise combined with sound business insight.’
‘A great team very focused on the banking sector, a leading employment practice in Italy, and extremely knowledgeable and accessible’
‘Daverio & Florio has a valuable team of professionals able to provide excellent assistance in labor law matters. The team is very precise and attentive to any particular client request.’
- Assisted a metalworking and mechanical engineering company in a trial against workers to defend the company’s right to withdraw from company collective agreements thereby eliminating ameliorative remuneration treatment compared to the ones provided for by National Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Gattai, Minoli, Partners employment department’s expertise spans a wide range of industry sectors from banking to energy, retail, pharma, fashion, food and beverages, to the automotive industry. Lorenzo Cairo heads up the group providing legal assistance to its diverse client base on restructuring mandates, including collective dismissals, collective transfers, poor performer management, termination of top managers, disciplinary procedures, transfer of undertakings and labour relations. In light of the Covid-19 pandemic, the team has developed a sub-practice specialising in health and safety and data protection.
Other key lawyers:
Umberto Villa; Federica Ferretti; Francesco D’Avanzo
‘We are very happy with Umberto Villa’s support in very different topics regarding labour law. He has always been able to support us giving deep legal advice and pragmatical insights, showing a very clear understanding and deep experience in actual corporate issues and situations.’
‘Lorenzo Cairo and Umberto Villa are very professional and always available. Their support has been important for our company.’
‘Lorenzo Cairo and his team are excellent. They are our go-to firm for projects needing advice in Italy. They are responsive and provide their advice in a very commercial way which stands them out from other firms and makes it very easy to work with them and our clients.’
‘Lorenzo Cairo always provides great partner level support and is able to cut to the key issues very quickly. Federica Ferretti is also excellent with clients.’
‘We work with several lawyers within the team and they really play as a solid, unique team. Strong expertise and ability to create a real partnership with their customer.’
‘Ability to answer in almost real time. Never late. Both partners and more junior lawyers have excellent expertise. We feel extremely cat ease in working with individuals of the Gattai, Minoli and Partners team members.’
‘The Gattai labour law team is one of the best teams I have ever worked with. Witty in understanding the business, careful in the analysis and response times by understanding the needs of the business, able to offer alternative solutions and find solutions compatible with the complex business, proactive in moments of change capable of anticipating possible problems. Truly an exceptional team’
‘Lorenzo Cairo and Federica Ferretti are truly outstanding partners. Quick in response times, keen in case analysis, immediately able to grasp business problems and find a solution that can be compatible with the various constraints able to interact internationally, explaining the needs of the country and the constraints present. Truly exceptional.’
- Assisted Sofinnova Partners with employment aspects in the acquisition of the majority of Nanophoria.
- Advised IQVIA Group in the negotiation of the company-based collective agreements with the trade unions respectively of the tertiary and chemical sector in order to implement the so called “smart working” program.
- Advised Cerved Credit Management in the tender procedure which awarded the operating platform of REV Gestione Crediti which was incorporated in 2015 by the Bank of Italy to allocate the exposures of four Italian banks under resolution (Popolare Etruria, Banca Marche, Cassa di Chieti and CariFerrara) to Cerved.
LCA Studio Legale advises domestic and foreign companies on all major employment law issues; its expertise covers non-contentious advisory and contentious support across all aspects of general, organisational, contractual and contentious issues which may arise in relation to any kind of employment relationship and to collective and individual agreements with trade unions and institutional authorities. Headed up by Giuseppe Bologna and Ranieri Romani, the team handles aspects of M&A to union negotiations to precedent-setting litigation.
Giuseppe Bologna; Ranieri Romani
‘Continuos full assistance’
‘Working with LCA Studio Legale was seamless. They swiftly adapted to our internal requirements in terms of supplier qualification and billing. The advice provided was clear and solid.’
‘Ranieri Romani is a brilliant and experienced litigator.’
GamaLife – Companhia de Seguros de Vida, S.A.
Geveko Markings Italy S.r.l.
Pearson Italia S.p.A.
Roth Capital Partners LLC, Maxim Group LLC
Trillium Flow Technology Group
- Advised Trillium Flow Technology Group on all employment aspects of its EUR 65 million acquisition of Termomeccanica Pompe Spa’s centrifugal pumps manufacturing and retail business, including handling all union negotiations.
- Acting for industry leaders in two precedent-setting employment litigations.
- Advised Foodinho S.r.l. on the management of the employment relationships with key employees during the purchase of 100% of the share capital of Social Food S.r.l., reviewing their contracts in order to make them enforceable and compliant with Italian law and in the negotiation of the SPA conditions.
Lexellent‘s employment practice covers all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters with particular focus on cross-border projects, discrimination, dismissals, trade union negotiations, transfers of business, and health and safety in the workplace. The practice, which is led by Giulietta Bergamaschi, counts Canon, Christies, and BIC Italia among its clients. Ugo Di Stefano joined in September 2022 and has long experience in managing all legal and corporate, compliance and regulatory aspects, including restructuring processes and extraordinary transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Ugo Di Stefano
‘Outstanding technical level, very practical approach, great empathy with the client.’
‘Giulietta Bergamaschi is a leader, highly solutions/problem solving oriented with an outstanding technical level.’
‘This is an excellent specialist employment practice. It employs experts who know their subject inside out. Giulietta Bergamaschi, despite being the managing partner, also continues to advise as the client requires – in depth, or light touch, but always correctly. She gives practical guidance, which is as important as technical accuracy. She is always on hand when needed. Value for money? Triple times that!’
IHI Charging Systems International S.p.A.
SAES Getter S.p.A.
Banca Popolare di Sondrio
- Assisting Leroy Merlin Italia, part of the international “ADEO” group, a leader in the large-scale marketing of DIY, building, decoration, gardening and gardening products concerning its day-to-day operations, out-of-court disputes, and in-court litigation.
- Represented Gruppo S.p.A. on entering into a new company collective bargaining agreement with the adoption of a company welfare plan.
- Represented Farmaceutici Damor S.p.A. in a dispute brought before the Court of Naples by one of its former managers who was, at the same time, Chief Executive Officer, dismissed in 2018 for justified objective reasons.
Employment law boutique Littler Mendelsoncombines domestic capabilities with a global reach handling the full range of labour law matters. The team headed by Carlo Majer and Edgardo Ratti is part of the integrated European practice providing continent-wide assistance to a range of Italian and multinational clients from start-ups to major corporations across various industries. The group has strong cross-border capabilities advising on multijurisdictional matters.
Carlo Majer; Edgardo Ratti
‘For our company, Studio Littler represents a point of reference for all labor law matters. The quality of the consulting services provided, the transparency in the estimates and the availability of the staff are certainly strengths.’
‘We collaborate with the lawyer Edgardo Ratti for several years, his culture and preparation, as well as the ability to understand the needs of customers, make our experience with Studio Littler very professional and rewarding.’
‘They give us a tailor-made service. They have a diversified team for key skills and are specialized in our business activities.’
Knoll International S.p.A.
Rolls-Royce Power Systems AG
- Assisting Comdata in a complex multi-party dispute pending before various courts. The dispute is a consequence of the transfer of the customer care business, between Wind Tre S.p.A. and Comdata S.p.A. The litigation has been filed by more than 300 employees challenging the transfer in five different courts.
- Advising Celly on resolving problems which result from the relationship with some national and foreign company’s agents.
- Managing a major cross-border project for ENI concerning health & safety issues connected to the remote working mode in 13 different jurisdictions.
Norton Rose Fulbright‘s employment practice covers all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment law matters. In the past year, key areas of the group’s included advising on disputes, on industrial and trade union relations, commercial agency agreements and Covid-19-related issues, including flexible working/remote working regulations, and social security matters. Employment and commercial agency litigator Attilio Pavone leads the practice.
Other key lawyers:
‘The firm’s strengths are: availability, competence, preparation and consultancy always pragmatic and focused on the individual companies.’
‘We have been working with Boris Martella for a few years, and it is a consolidated relationship of mutual trust and esteem. What distinguishes it, in addition to the preparation, which we take for granted, is the ability to always understand the needs of companies, and to always find a solution tailored to the individual case.’
‘An extremely well-trained, professional and daily support law firm for our shipping company.’
‘Our main contact is Boris Martella, who is extremely knowledgeable in his sector and is always very helpful; it can be said that after several years of collaboration, the relationship with him has become fundamental and necessary.’
‘We are working with Boris Martella from the Milan team. Extremely professional, very helpful. Very quick. Interpretation of the Italian law is very complicated. We always received best advice from him.’
Osborne Clarke’s employment team provides a full-service offering on the Italian and international labour law landscape with strong expertise in dismissals, restructuring, reducing of workforce, winding up, and outsourcing. Key industries include energy, in particular alternative energy, healthcare and life sciences, digital business, real estate, and financial services. Most notably, the team, including Giuliana Caira, has advised on new forms of employment deriving from the gig-economy. Pietro Scianna was a new arrival in April 2023 from Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici. Stefano Lava left the firm.
Other key lawyers:
Giuliana Caira; Cristina del Pezzo di Caianello
‘Responsive, straight to the point, very knowledgeable.’
‘Giuliana Caira has assisted with a complex cross-jurisdictional issue as well as litigation matters in a calm, outcome-focused manner.’
‘Cristina del Pezzo di Caianello is just amazing to work with – always available, shares information and knowledge in a very clear and understandable way. She makes the client feel secure and safe.’
‘Impressive technology, great organisational skills. The team is extremely responsive and proactive.’
‘Well connected team enabling coordinated approach across countries in Europe.’
Binda Italia S.r.l.
Bluefield Services Italia S.r.l.
Bluvacanze S.p.A. / Cisalpina Tours S.p.A.
Brooks Sports S.r.l.
CREDEM – Credito Emiliano S.p.A Group / Banca Euromobiliare S.p.A
Diageo Italia S.p.A.
GetYourGuide Italy S.r.l.
Gi Group S.p.A.
Grifols Italia S.p.A.
Integral Ad Science UK Limited (IAS) / Admantx S.p.A.
Lojack Italia S.r.l.
Momentive Performance Materials Specialties S.r.l.
Municipality of Sanremo
Neo4j Sweden AB
NHOA Energy S.r.l.
Open Text S.r.l.
Premier Research Group S.r.l.
Quest Software Group
Sony / ATV Music Publishing UK Limited
Tata Motors Ltd.
This is Hello S.r.l.
UCI Italia S.p.A.
United Airlines Inc.
We Are Social S.r.l.
Wipro Technologies Gmbh
- Advising Diageo Group in all employment law aspects.
- Advising United Cinemas International on a range of employment matters, including the management of complex issues connected with the opening and closure of a number of cinemas, as well as advising on cross-border secondments and handling sensitive union negotiations.
- Acting as key external counsel to CREDEM on all employment and agency matters, which include providing advice on complex litigation brought by the bank against a group of ex-brokers now working for a competitor, against the background of an attempt by the competitor to remove key personnel from the client.
Pavia e Ansaldo‘s employment law team is active in an array of labour law matters coming from a diverse range of sectors including construction, fashion, human resources and education. Recent employment litigation mandates involved a range of novel legal issues such as business transfers and payment of contributions to seconded employees. Practice head Enrico Del Guerra has strong expertise in the health and safety sector concerning workplace regulations and the termination of agency relationships.
Enrico Del Guerra
Other key lawyers:
Enrico Banchero; Valentina Simonelli
‘The key contribution that the lawyer Enrico Del Guerra is able to provide is mainly linked to his ability to always clearly provide the different scenarios on the action plans that can be undertaken, providing even the less experienced interlocutor with a clear picture of the pros and cons with respect to the different choices. He always manages to have a very corporate point of view and understands well the internal organizational dynamics of a large group like us.’
‘I work with Mr. Enrico Del Guerra, he is a very professional and capable partner, for his deep technical/legal knowledge and for his customer proximity and flexible and opened approach, always available, and strongly able to understand the need of his customer and to suggest the best solution/option to manage the employment dossiers.’
‘Very reliable, professional team, that provide ‘seniority’ along with willingness to explore and finish everything, leaving nothing to be addressed.’
‘We received a fast and appropriate support to face any problem arising during the development of the operations we had to pursue. High level of competency throughout different aspects of the same issue led to a complete success of operations conveyed. Complete availability on a 24/7 basis is a crucial in a multinational environment.’
‘Competency, quickness, team spirit, fast understanding of the specific needs of the Company created the condition for a proactive developing of the right strategy. Scrupulousness in any aspects provided solid and consistent support’
‘I always got clear, quick, precise answers, at any time, even late in the evening. I deal with human resources, so I have had Enrico Del Guerra and Enrico Banchero as contact persons in the firm. Their advice has enabled us to solve often very complex problems in the best possible way.’
‘Lawyers Del Guerra and Banchero, with their many years of experience, know how to quickly interpret and make concrete any action that our company wants to take or needs to take in the areas of trade unions, labour law and safety.’
Ansett Aviation Italy S.p.A.
Alice + Olivia Italia S.r.l
Carra Mangimi S.p.A.
Lectra Italia S.p.A.
McKinsey Italia & Co. Inc.
SDA Bocconi School of Management
Standard & Poor’s CMSI S.r.l.
Trenitalia S.p.A. (Gruppo Ferrovie dello Stato)
UPMC Italy S.r.l.
- Acting for various clients in defence of claims from INPS (National Institute for Social Security) regarding breach of social security contributions cap regulations relating to several years of unpaid social security contributions.
- Advising Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi – SDA Bocconi School of Management on contracts governing the creation of products central to its on demand online programmes.
- Advised Eurofiurms Group on preparation of temporary employment agreements and supply agreements with external clients as well as its establishment of an international branch in Italy.
Pedersoli Studio Legale’s labour law department operates from the Milan and Turin offices advising clients on all aspects of employment law, with expertise in corporate and M&A transactions and an increasing focus on privacy and GDPR issues. The team headed by Francesco Simoneschi provides advisory and judicial assistance in the food and beverages, manufacturing, and insurance sectors. Counsel Andrea Scarpellini is noted in particular.
Other key lawyers:
Alessandro Tufan; Alessandro Crost; Francesco Airald; Francesca Pistol; Andrea Scarpellini
‘The team is able to provide timely and precise advice in a wide range of Italian employment law issues.’
‘Counsel Andrea Scarpellini is extremely committed to his clients, being able to meet any deadline and to quickly provide high quality advice.’
‘Collaboration in a solution-oriented and pragmatic approach.’
‘Easy to access. Competence and freshness in the approach.’
‘Has a wide overview on different legal areas and ability to connect different perspectives.’
‘Very proactive and competent team. They know the business and can consult accordingly’.
‘Andrea Scarpellini is an excellent counsel.’
Majorel Italy S.r.l.
Eprice Operations S.r.l.
The Etro family
Industry 4.0 Fund
Bravo Capital Partners
The shareholders of Plurima
Coöperatieve H2 Equity Partners
Thun S.p.A. – Lenet Group
ISS Facility Services
- Assistance to Groupon in a complex negotiation with the Trade Unions for the subscription of a voluntary exit agreement based on Law Decree n. 104/2020, ended with 80 employees (out of 150) leaving the company.
- Assistance to Vetrya in relation to a collective redundancy preparatory to a subsequent lease of the branch of business not affected by the redundancy within the context of a composition with creditors.
- Assistance to Cotonificio Albini in a complex negotiation with the Trade Unions for the voluntary liquidation and transfer to a potential purchaser of the plant of Tessitura di Mottola, owned by the client, with subsequent termination or transfer of the 117 employees’ relationships.
Tesoro & Partners – Employment Law Firm
Employment boutique Tesoro & Partners – Employment Law Firm demonstrates great capability to handle a vast range of labour law matters with its core business including downsizing and collective redundancies, as well as transactions and employment litigation. Name partner Marco Tesoro attracts an array of domestic and international clients due to strong expertise in international business across Italy’s key sectors. Since publication, Sharon Reilly has retired from the firm.
‘Telephone communication clear, honest and upfront. Email communication timely, good availability for answering questions, including after the completion of the contracts. Job was completed quickly and professionally. Billing very clear and easy. I dealt with Sharon and Marco: they both worked very well as a team to deliver great service.’
‘Exceptional understanding of the international business context and ability to explain in clear English what is needed.’
‘The practice is a boutique that punches well above its weight both in the matters that they deal with and their client base. They are incredibly transparent on billing and always looking for ways to collaborate. Top notch.’
Jenny Law Firm
ESP Global Services
- Assisting Jacobs Engineering Group on compliance with all workplace rules during the Covid pandemic, (vaccine passports, disciplining anti-vax employees as well as drafting and implementing health and safety emergency measures) and managing claims from the Italian social security body (INPS).
- Advising Broadcom since 2017 and most recently in restructuring its workforce during the pandemic, within the confines of the strict emergency measures.
- Advising Alliance Pharma on all employment law aspects in restructuring its Italian operations, including multiple dismissals and closure of business.
UnioLex - Stucchi & Partners
The employment law team at UnioLex - Stucchi & Partners assists its local and multinational clients with both contentious and non-contentious mandates, most notably insourcing and outsourcing plans, collective bargaining, trade union negotiations and downsizings. Practice heads Olimpio Stucchi, Paola Gobbi and Andrea Savoia have extensive experience in private banking-related employment matters, handling M&A transactions and data protection issues.
Olimpio Stucchi; Paola Gobbi; Andrea Savoia
‘Strong commitment, very high professional skills, ability to take care of the clients needs at 360 degrees.’
‘The Uniolex studio offers a personalised service, the customer feels supported both on day-by-day activities and in exceptional situations.’
‘The lawyer Andrea Savoia is brilliant and efficient and always manages complex situations with great courtesy and with the results that our company requires. He is always available when you need him.’
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
LDC-Louis Dreyfus Company
Laboratoires Arkopharma S.a.S.
Mondialpol Milano S.p.A.
MIP-Politecnico di Milano/Polimi Graduate School of Business
Flossbach von Storch
Fondazione Politecnico di Milano
Fondazione di Carità Arti e Mestieri
emz-Hanauer GmbH & Co. KGaA
Kyowa Hakko Bio Italia
- Advised a global logistic group about an insourcing process impacting several of their companies.
- Assisted a global pharmaceutical group in designing and implementing a complex reorganisation plan including centralising offshore activities and relocating some operations in Italy.
- Assisted a bank to challenge a unique and potentially ground-breaking suit raised by an employee who allegedly suffered health issues deriving from work-related stress and straining”conditions. This person claimed that the employer should have prevented such conditions.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani
Guido Callegari is heading the employment law at De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani which advises multinational corporations operating in Italy, as well as domestic companies across a range of industries. Thanks to close cross-departmental cooperation with the M&A, corporate and tax advice teams, the team is able to provide an integrated offering. There is a focus on advising clients in matters relating to personnel management, reorganisations, restructuring, social security, data protection, global mobility of staff, safety at work, and mass redundancies.
Other key lawyers:
Gaspare Roma; Andrea Sonino
‘Consolidated experience and long standing relationship generated over time efficient mutual understanding with successful achievements reached of course thanks to the necessary support of a specific in-depth knowledge of a complicated matter, especially in Italy.’
‘The mutual knowledge and the capability of fitting clients’ expectations are the best ingredient to maintain and improve a key professional relationship.’
‘Very professional team across all areas of law. Also in particularly complex matters enquiring interdisciplinary skills they interact in a very pragmatic and successful way.’
CIAL – Consorzio Imballaggi Alluminio
DNP Photomask Europe SpA
Dunlop Conveyor Belting
Information Resources S.r.l.
Inter Cars Italia S.r.l. (Inter Cars Group)
John Wiley & Sons
Lamothe Abiet SAS
Liberty Motors S.A
Liebot Italia S.r.l. (Liebot Group)
Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, PC
Rolex SA and Rolex Italia SpA
Stanley International Betting Group
TOI TOI ITALIA S.r.l. (ADCO Group)
Trowers & Hamlins LLP
Universal Leaf Tobacco International, Inc.
- Assisted Lamothe in the acquisition of the Italian distributor Enocea S.R.L.
- Assisted EA PHARMA in the acquisition of STARDEA SRL.
- Assisted Outokumpu Group with continuous negotiations with trade unions during the sale of the plasma cutting business.
Deloitte Legal Italy -Società tra Avvocati a r.l.‘s employment and benefit team is active in all employment law related matters, most notably in the M&A, tax and commercial context. Owing to an international network, the team has a strong backbone and is able to handle multijurisdictional matters related to restructuring, reorganisation and international mobility of workforce. Practice head Alessandra Maniglio focuses on out-of-court consultancy activities. Elena Rossella Raspanti, Federica Bernasconi and Francesco Chiari joined in early 2022.
Other key lawyers:
Ivana Azzollini; Pietro Venerando
‘The lawyers who compose the team, which I have known for more ten years, are a great team of professional experts in law. They are always up-to-date, quick in responses and every time I need them, they are available and able to find a solution. They are also very good in court.’
‘I know and work with Alessandra Maniglio since 2009. She is the most skilled in the art of law, negotiation and she has relevant experience in her work. She has a great wit, she is very smart in solution, finding the best solution always. She closes a negotiation with best position for her clients, even when they (clients) have maked some mistakes.’
‘We find Ivana Azzolini outstanding because of her balance between high standing (in skills, experience) and great simplicity (in relationship and explanations). She is the perfect mix between reliability, effectiveness and empathy that makes her a trustworthy partner to us.’
‘Deloitte Legal Team S.t.A. r.l. S.B. are experts in labour law.’
‘Mr. Andrea Bonanni Caione, from Deloitte Legal Team, is a very kind and competent lawyer. His grate experience in labour cases allows our company to have a sure reference point for any labour issues. His strengths are kindness, rapidity and accuracy in replying.’
‘The team supports our company in all labour matters with great professionality, availability and commitment.’
‘They are a very knowledgeable, trusted and diverse team of lawyers, assisted by a smart administrative staff. What I value more is their availability and speed whenever I need their support, as well as their understanding of how multinational companies work, which makes them capable give effective advice that take into account not only the legal aspects of an issue but also our internal processes and constraints.’
‘I work mainly with Mrs. Alessandra Maniglio, partner of the firm, who is an exceptional lawyer from any viewpoint. She is very business-oriented, and capable to not only focus on the issue at stake but also to have a holistic approach, which is extremely valuable for company management to take decisions.’
Honda Trading Europe
K&L Gates employment law team is specialised in labour and industrial relationships assisting clients in personnel and employment relationship management as well as in complex crisis situations. The team headed by Roberto Podda is particularly experienced in the technology, e-commerce, tourism, logistics and pharma industries. The practice also assists in internal investigations.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very efficient, always available and quick to respond. Their opinions are always focused a precise.’
‘Very professional people. Very competent’
‘I appreciated the capacity to be clear and supportive in any situation. Not having a strong legal background, K&L Gates partners were for me a valuable support and they were different from others, in their way of explaining, in evaluating together possible scenarios and solutions- I felt that we were a team.’
‘A unique ability to assist international clients to navigate the complex world of Italian labor and employment law. The team finds solutions and adds value.’
‘Roberto Podda is an excellent lawyer who delivers.’
Industrie Saleri Italo S.p.A.
Slim Fusina Rolling S.r.l.
Sanda Vadò S.r.l.
Navico and C-Map Italy
Slim Aluminium SpA
3D Systems Italia S.r.l.
Hornschuch Italia S.r.l.
Red Hat Italia
Flir Systems Srl
Baschieri & Pellagri SpA
Fiocchi Munizioni SpA
New Crazy Colors Srl
Bertone Design Group
- Continuous assistance to Slim Fusina Rolling S.r.l. in out-of-court employment matters and labor litigation matters.
- Assisted Voss Fluid in the process of closing-down a plant located in Lombardy.
- Assisting Fiocchi Munizioni S.p.A. in various employment matters.
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe's employment team, headed by Mario Scofferi, forms an important part of the firm’s global employment practice and is routinely involved in domestic and cross-border matters. The team acts for leading Italian, European and global companies in a range of industries with particular expertise in the power, utilities and asset management sectors. Managing associate Luciano Vella is also noted.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is extremely competent and very well-prepared on labour issues. Readily available when the issue arises, hence you know that you can count on them at any time. they always want to go deep in the issue, understand all aspects before giving their recommendations. They always offer the solution or different professional solutions to the problem rapidly.’
‘Very helpful team that leaves nothing to chance.’
‘Mr Scofferi always investigates every aspect of the problem, offering the different solutions to the customer.’
‘The team is skilled, experienced, well-organised, and always available for advice.’
‘The individuals I dealt with have always been willing to help me and advised me to handle critical situations in the best way. They are professional, skilled, and always up to date on the latest law and regulation developments.’
‘The team is always open and at our disposal (considering their agendas). They know our needs and understand our environment in order to adapt the answer we need to have in line with our business’ needs. They are very prepared! I highly recommend them!’
Be Power S.p.A.
Banca Carige S.p.A.
Icon Infrastructure LLP
LBO France Gestion SAS
Kantar group and Xtel S.r.l.
- Assisted the top management of Be Power S.p.A. in employment issues related to their merger with Eni S.p.A. group, including the management of the relevant previous stock option plan.
- Assisted Banca Carige in a lawsuit against 57 former employees of the Bank.
- Assisted an American machinery industry company with the implementation and negotiation with the trade unions of a second level agreement regulating every aspect of the employment relationship with employees.
Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati‘s employment department assists domestic and international clients in negotiations and drafting of contracts and remuneration policies, M&A transactions, dismissals and redundancies in a wide range of sectors with capabilities to handle cross-border matters. Alessandro De Palma coordinates the growing multilingual team alongside labour law expert Luca Garramone, the latter of whom joined in January 2022 alongside counsel Sergio Alberto Codella and associate Cecilia Biscottini.
Alessandro De Palma; Luca Garramone
Other key lawyers:
Sergio Alberto Codella; Cecilia Biscottini
‘The team is very efficient and cost-effective.’
‘Adv. De Palma shows a particular ability to understand the client’s need.’
‘Collaborative, available to discuss (also in relation to invoices and fees).’
Ingenico Italia S.p.A.
Neo Apotek S.p.A.
Transcom Worldwide Italy S.p.A.
Nomura Financial Products Europe GmbH, Italian branch
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE)
Mayhoola for InvestmentsLLC
Egon Zehnder International S.p.A.
Antares Vision S.p.A.
Maxi Zoo Italia S.p.A.
Gattinoni & Co. S.r.l.
Avara Pharmaceutical S.p.A.
Giuseppe Zanotti S.p.A.
Max Mara S.r.l.
IMCD Italia S.p.A.
Kruk Italia S.r.l.
Eurpack Giustini Sacchetti S.r.l.
Arkray Italia S.r.l.
Santen Italy S.r.l.
- Advising Engineering Ingegneria Informatica S.p.A. in the context of the transaction related to the sale of 43.209% of BE Shaping the future S.p.A.
- Assisting Nomura International on employees monitoring carried out before the Italian Labour Office in order to install a certain software potentially implying the employees’ monitoring.
- Advising Treccani Reti S.p.A. (former Editalia S.p.A.) on litigation with agent.
Portolano Cavallo‘s employment team, headed by Andrea Gangemi and supported by associate Tabita Costantino, is particularly active in the media, technology and entertainment sectors. The duo provide advice on the employer side in connection to collective agreements, social security, contractual issues, and privacy matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘I was introduced to Andrea Gangemi who is a partner at Portolano Cavallo in helping to resolve a dispute with a few former employees in our Italy office. Andrea has always been super efficient, available and so knowledgeable about Italian law. I work in the US and have limited understanding but in working with him and the team, I can assure you they are top notch!’
‘Andrea and the team are always available to assist us with any outside counsel. They are personable, knowledgeable and efficient.’
‘Andrea Gangemi is a trusted adviser. His responsiveness is second to none. He is also careful not to spent unnecessary time on a matter and is happy to give advice either by email or over the phone to clients.’
‘The employment team at PC is very responsive, adept at understanding our requested advice, and provides timely, actionable advice.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with Andrea Gangemi and Tabita Costantino. They are professional, direct and concise in their guidance, and patient with our questions which I’m sure often reflect the newness of our operations in Italy.’
‘They have a sound understanding of the law and provide practical insights into how to address legal issues’
‘We deal with Andrea who is super practical, available and hugely helpful.’
Studio Legale Associato a Watson Farley & Williams's employment practice was set up in May 2021 after Giuseppe Bulgarini d'Elci joined from Carnelutti. The group is active in contentious and non-contentious matters with a focus on workforce restructurings, collective agreements and trade union negotiations.
Giuseppe Bulgarini d’Elci
‘Continuous care for the client, professional advice made clear to non-experts’
‘Complete and clear guidance all along the process’
‘Well prepared. Diligent. Reactive.’
‘Giuseppe Bulgarini D’Elci – extremely well prepared and an excellent negotiator in disputes’
Secondo Mona S.p.A.
Fratelli Branca Distillerie S.p.A.
Gènèrale pour l’Enfant – GPE (SM Italia – Du Pareil au Même)
Conceria di Cuneo S.r.l.
Atelier HCI S.r.l.
Poste Italiane S.p.A.
Società Gasdotti Italia S.p.A.
Norwegian Air Resources Limited (in liquidation)
Enplus Italia S.r.l.
Azimut Libera Impresa SGR S.p.A.
Trelleborg Coated Systems Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted Norwegian Air Resources Limited (in liquidation) in a collective redundancy procedure which passed through a first collective agreement with the Ministry of Labour for the use of a special salary support scheme and ended with a trade unions agreement authorizing the dismissal of the entire workforce (248 employees) due to the termination of the business in Italy.
- Assisted Do&Co Group on a collective redundancy procedure which led to a first trade unions agreement for the dismissal of 25 employees and to a second trade unions agreement (so-called “solidarity contract”) for the use of six months special salary support scheme to ensure the ongoing continuity of the business.
- Assisted Fratelli Branca in the setting of new contractual conditions for its agents (more than one hundred agents only in Italy) due to the decision to manage internally the GDO channel (malls and supermarkets) and to modify the geographic areas assigned to the agents. The signing of the new agency contracts required also to execute individual settlement agreements with the agents to obtain their waiver to any possible claim.
SZA Studio Legale
SZA Studio Legale‘s employment law team regularly assists both national and international companies and public bodies in trade union negotiations, collective dismissals, social security law, antidiscrimination and health and safety in the workplace, among others. Luca Borghi who is well versed in assisting public sector organisations heads the practice, which was established with his arrival in 2017. Key sectors include transport and logistics, as well as engineering, fashion, IT, public services and utilities sectors.
‘Professionalism, punctuality, precision, availability and fairness.’
‘Luca Borghi: serious and reliable professional, balanced and competent, reserved and available.’
‘Availability, fairness, competence.’
Fondazione Lombardia per l’Ambiente
Lario Reti Holding Spa
SEI Toscana S.r.l.
Milano Serravalle Milano Tangenziali Spa
Fondazione Cineteca Italiana
Comune di Sedriano
Provincia di Como
ASP Istituti Milanesi Martinitt e Stelline e Pio Albergo Trivulzio di Milano
Comune di Lodi
Asl Valle d’Aosta
Asl 4 Regione Liguria
- Assisted consortium of companies, Agesp, Amga, Cap Holding, on the acquisition of ACCAM which manages a waste-to-energy plant. The matter involved workplace management issues tied to due diligence, bankruptcy law, TUPE, Trade Unions and NewCo’s.
- Assisted Bassetto, a private family company, with the closure of their historic construction company.
- Assisted Aler Bergamo with the dismissal for just cause of the anti-corruption and transparency manager.