Employment in Italy
BonelliErede is among the go-to addresses for labour law advice in Italy. Led by Marcello Giustiniani, the team covers the whole spectrum of work - from collective agreements, to audits to dismissals, breaches and company reorganisations. Whilst the majority of clients are well-established companies and institutions (many of which are from the luxury or banking and finance world), the practice has increasingly been focusing on tech companies and start-ups, with four members of the department being also part of the firm's Digital Innovation focus team. Antonella Negri focuses on industrial relations, social security and trade union litigation.
‘The team is very prepared and professional ‘
‘Antonella Negri is very competent, fast, and fully understands the needs of the client, while showing the ability to identify the most suitable solutions for various cases. Giulia Corso is also a valid and always available resource’
‘Competence, availability and courtesy at a fair price’
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena
F.lli De Cecco
- Assistance to Telecom Italia in relation to its CEO succession.
- Assistance to Assicurazioni Generali in the amendment of the group’s remuneration policies.
- Assistance to Assicurazioni Generali on the management of the global mobility of the staff within the group’s worldwide network of subsidiaries.
Gianni & Origoni
With a team in Rome and another in Milan, Gianni & Origoni' employment law practice carries out work that is both standalone and derived from other departments (litigation, M&A, corporate), covering a wide range of both contentious and non-contentious matters. Compliance, privacy, whistleblowing as well as regulations and corporate governance are main topics within the firm. Alessandra Ferroni and Saverio Schiavone lead the practice; the team's other most active lawyers include Cristina Capitanio and Matteo Fusillo.
First Data Corporation
Hitachi Industrial Engineering
Lindt & Sprungli
- Bridgestone, after several difficulties encountered in the Italian market, entered into a national Collective Agreement with the National Unions of the Plastic Sector in an exemption of the National Collective Agreement applicable to its manufacturing plant in Bari.
- Assistance to ArcelorMittal in labour/employment-related matters following the successful bidding process to take over the business units of ILVA S.p.A. and some of its subsidiaries.
- Assistance to Herbalife, which is a leading company in the field of multi-level sales of dietary products, in the context of the disputes with sales people claiming to be considered either as employees or commercial agents, and to be entitled to damages and indemnities as a consequence of their alleged unfair termination.
The 'excellent' labour law team at LABLAW - Studio Legale is one of the largest in Italy. The firm, which was founded in 2006 by Milan-based president Luca Failla and managing partner Francesco Rotondi, stretches throughout Italy, including branches in Rome, Pescara, Naples, Padua, Bari, Bologna and Genoa. The firm has a busy practice handling matters including contract negotiations, directors liability, reorganisations, HR management and collective redundancies, among many other fields. The practice is investing in logistics industry development, sports law and foreign desks, with a newly introduced Spanish desk adding to established German and French desks.
‘Pragmatic, loyal and always available – with an innovative approach and acting as a business partner instead of external consultants.’
‘Flexibility and availability, they always propose pragmatic and feasible solutions’
‘The team is composed of very well prepared people with a can-do frame of mind’
‘The team combines state of the art knowledge of local laws together with a pragmatic approach’
‘Luca Failla is one of the best labour lawyers one can meet’
‘Angelo Quarto offers highly professional support and clear and fast solutions.’
‘Continuous presence and proactivity. With respect to other firms, more flexibility and coverage of all the labour law issues.’
La Perla fashion
Kimberly & Clark
Metro Cash & Carry
Sirti (KKR group)
- Advised on a complex collective dismissal procedure involving 833 employees of Sirti, the largest telecommunications engineering company in Italy.
- Provided extrajudicial assistance – in addition to regular and extraordinary, and judicial assistance – to the Discovery Channel in Italy.
- Providing day to day employment and labour law counsel to the Italian offices of Randstad – one of the leading HR services companies in the world.
2019 was a year of further growth for labour law firm Toffoletto De Luca Tamajo. With three new office openings in Brescia (led by Flaminio Valseriati), Bologna (Chiara Torino) and Genoa (Maddalena Paroletti and Paolo Iasiello from GoaLex), the firm has enjoyed much recent development, including two partner promotions in Milan. The firm's modernisation efforts also include a set of new products revolving around current issues such as data privacy, benefit plans, flexible working and whistleblowing, complementing the firm's more traditional offering, which covers contracts, trade union relations, restructuring and litigation. Franco Toffoletto and Raffaele De Luca Tamajo head up the firm as managing partner and senior partner respectively; Emanuela Nespoli and Donatella Cungi are other names of note.
‘Valeria Morosini is a fantastic communicator, who provides practical and realistic advice’
‘The team are incredibly specialised. They are used to working with multinational companies and in English, which makes them great strategic partners.’
‘Donatella Cungi and Lisa Auguadra are a great fit for our company. They’re responsive and always available, providing with thorough answers which go to the heart of each question. A very positive experience with both lawyers.’
Donatella Cungi is skilled and very much engaged in diversity projects and can provide a very good insight on these issues’
‘Deep know-how, continuous learning, hands-on capabilities’
‘Amazing professionalism, deep knowledge of national and international labour law, high availability, well-structured teams, it is a law firm sufficiently large and staffed to cater to any requirement and need one may have, but still able to offer a tailored service’
‘Lea Rossi is by far the best lawyer one can ever work with. Deep knowledge of national and international labour law, she also commands higher-than-average knowledge of other law fields and outstanding managerial capacity in organizing her team efficiently. Additionally, she shows amazing professionalism and is always able to find the best solutions under high pressure’
FCA Italy (Fiat Chrysler)
Ferrovie dello Stato
Johnson & Johnson Group
- Provided assistance to Seda Italy for a legal dispute regarding a trade union matter against the SLC CGIL, which attempted to challenge the legitimacy of the newly set-up RSU (Italian Works Council), as well as question fundamental principles of the Italian industrial relations system.
- Advised Technogym on the renewal of a company-level supplemental collective agreement, including a new employee welfare benefit plan.
- Provided employment law assistance to investment fund Equinox on the acquisition of the majority stake of the share capital of Quid Informatica.
Led by Massimiliano Biolchini, the employment team at Studio Professionale Associato a Baker & McKenzie focuses on trade union consultations, staff restructurings and negotiations/disputes involving senior managers or board members. In 2019, the group was involved in matters of group reorganisations, unions negotiations and investigations.
The Walt Disney Italia
Giuffre’ Editore S.p.A.
Stella McCartney S.r.l.
Abercrombie & Fitch S.a.r.l.
VF International Sagl
- Assisted Walt Disney in all activities related to the integration with Fox Networks in Italy, after the US$ 71BN acquisition at global level.
- Assisted GSK in one of the biggest pharma deals in Italy in 2018, related to the divestiture of GSK’s antibiotics business, involving 5 countries across Europe and Brazil and 350 employees only in Italy.
- Advising LEAR on social security issues. Assisted the company in reviewing a complex social security issue (that the Italian social security agency themselves has addressed in conflicting ways in the past).
The labour law group at Chiomenti is appreciated for its 'quick, clear and flexible advice' on the full range of specialist issues, including contracts, termination of agreements, litigation, restructuring and welfare plans - the latter being a significant focus for the department. Under the well-regarded leadership of practice head Emanuele Barberis and social security expert, litigator and arbitrator Annalisa Reale, the team grew with a series of mid-level promotions in January 2019. Associate Paolo Carbone is emerging in the field of restructuring, remuneration policies and collective bargaining.
‘A very structured team on which one can rely on for several different issues. They always prove to be very reliable and capable to meet any deadlines even with very short notice. Emanuele Barberis is able to identify possible solutions in a very short time thanks to his enviable experience.’
‘They are very professional and partners are reliable.’
‘Chiomenti provides timely and pragmatic advice on various topics related to Labour Law with special focus on litigation management and drafting contract with executives.’
‘Annalisa Reale and her team are deeply competent in the labour field. They provide clear and brief multilingual opinions.’
‘Chiomenti is able to provide a constant, solid, pragmatic, realistic, on-time support in all areas of labour law.’
Dolce & Gabbana
De Agostini Group/ Dea Capital Group
Bain & Co
Fondo Strategico Italiano/Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Volkswagen Group Italia
U.S. Department of Justice
- Advising Credit Agricole in the study, negotiation, drafting and implementation of a union agreement.
- Advising Canon Italia S.p.A. and its subsidiaries in relation to the termination of some top line managers and directors.
- Advising Gianni Versace in the context of the sale of the entire share capital of the latter to Michael Kors Limited and in all labour law aspects compared to the sale transaction to Michael Kors Limited as well as Allegra Versace and in the negotiation with their new employment with Gianni Versace S.p.A.
Assisting both Italian and international corporate clients, the employment law team at DLA Piper showcases experience across many different sectors - including life sciences, tech, food and fashion. Co-heads Giampiero Falasca and Fabrizio Morelli manage the team's offering and are experts in contentious matters, trade union matters, social security law and issues relating to major M&A deals. Federico Strada was promoted to partner in April 2019.
‘Corporate-minded practice with a broad international network.’
‘The team has a unique experience and can advise on very difficult matters. Giampiero Falasca is an experienced and very knowledgable negotiator.’
Hard Rock Café
- Assisting Almaviva, a CRM outsourcing company, in relation to the largest company restructuring in Italy since the 1950s.
- Providing Lidl with 360-degree labour law assistance, both judicial and extrajudicial with regards to different matters.
- Assisting Pfizer in relation to a number of employment related matters including the design of an innovative welfare plan for all its employees operating in Italy.
With specialist skills in high-stakes litigation, restructuring and trade union matters, Grimaldi Studio Legale offers 'high technical ability and end-to-end assistance.' Practice head Angelo Zambelli is active for national and international clients and is assisted by Barbara Grasselli, an expert in industrial relations, business crises and relocations, and Alberto Testi, who practices in many fields, including social security. Associate Alessandra Zilla has great potential both in out-of-court cases and in labour and pension litigation.
‘Angelo Zambelli and Barbara Grasselli have unique expertise in labour law and are always available’
‘Experts in labour law’
‘Great response time and systemic approach to the issue ‘
Piaggio & C. S.p.A.
MHPS Italia S.r.l. (Konecranes Group)
Nokia Solutions and Networks Italia S.p.A.
L’Oreal Italia S.p.A.
The Royal Bank of Scotland
UBS Europe SE – Succursale Italia
Boglioli S.p.A. in concordato preventivo
Crédit Suisse Italy S.r.l.
Cerved Group S.p.A.
Red Bull S.r.l.
- Provided assistance to the former CEO of British Telecom Italia in litigation brought by him before the Labour Court of Milan, within which he has been awarded approximately €1.8m.
- Provided assistance to the former chief of the Gazzetta dello Sport division in the litigation before the Labour Court of Appeal of Milan, within which the executive has been awarded with the indemnity against unlawful dismissals set forth by the national collective bargaining agreement governing his employment relationship.
- Provided assistance to the former executive of WeightPack in the litigation brought by him against such company, within which the executive has been awarded with the indemnity against unlawful dismissals set forth by the national collective bargaining agreement governing his employment relationship.
Legance - Avvocati Associati provides labour law advice to both Italian and multinational companies across a wide variety of sectors, with a focus on post-M&A support, reorganisations and corporate governance, as well as advice on sensitive issues such the employment status of 'gig economy' workers. Practice head and managing partner Alberto Maggi is supported by skilled lawyers of the calibre of Elena Ryolo; the team has also recently been boosted by a raft of newcomers at junior level.
‘Legance is a really strong legal partner. They are generally very reactive, speak perfectly English and able to support in a timely manner. ‘
‘Daniele Dellacasa provides excellent support. He takes into account the way the client’s business works and provides relevant advice. He also reacts very quickly when there is an urgent query.’
‘Reactivity, knowledge of customer needs and context, business acumen. Proactive proposition and supportive approach’
‘Alberto Maggi always provides outstanding support both in term of specific cases management and, moreover, in term of special operations. Elena Ryolo is concrete, proactive and supportive, with deep knowledge in managing both individual litigations and industrial relations needs.’
‘Silvia Tozzoli is really competent, oriented towards the client needs and she can also understand very quickly what the client needs in order to solve their issues. Strong capacity to manage negotiation with the employee’s lawyers in order to reach the best solution for the client’
‘Elena Ryolo and associate Daniele Dellacasa are very cohesive, well-coordinated and highly skilled. ‘
‘Elena Ryolo is an excellent lawyer and counsel with a unique capacity to understand people, matters, backgrounds and expectations. In labour law matters, her approach can really make the difference.’
‘Super team at any level. High focus on customer focus, which is a competitive advantage with respect to other firms. Very strong in business acumen.’
Bonfiglioli Riduttori S.p.A.
Cassa Depositi e Prestiti
Credito Lombardo Veneto
Daikin Applied Europe
Dana Holding Corporation and Dana Italia
Diageo Italia S.p.A.
Kruk Italia S.p.A.
Legal & General Investment Management
MBDA Italia S.p.A.
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Shire International GmbH
Wise SGR S.p.A.
- Assistance to Just Eat in the negotiations pending at the Ministry of Labour to define, also through an agreement between the social partners, a new legislation applicable to the labour relations with couriers in the food delivery sector.
- Providing advice with reference to the positions of the top managers of Nexi – the main provider of digital payment services and infrastructures in Italy – in a complex reorganization of the Group (previously, the ICBPI banking group) and in connection with the recent IPO.
- Assisted SOGEAAL in the Court disputes started before the Alghero labour court by some 45 employees in charge of security controls at the Sardinian airport who challenged the dismissal notified when SOGEAAL decided to outsource the security service by means of a public bid.
With a focus on M&A-related labour advice, the team at Clifford Chance also has an active practice handling matters such as the termination of top executives, contractual arrangements and remuneration policies. Simonetta Candela is the main contact in this area and mainly advises on corporate law and regulation in the credit and financial sector. Moreover, she is a diversity partner at the firm and is involved in encouraging diversity in Italy and further afield.
‘The Clifford Chance team has always been ready to answer questions and clarify doubts regarding labour law. The indications have always been punctual and clear, leaving few interpretative spaces. Compared to opinions obtained from other studies, the clarity of the exposition that facilitates the translation of the opinion expressed in concrete actions is appreciated.’
‘Partners, with whom over the years a solid and open professional relationship has been established.’
Daikin Applied Europe S.p.A.
- Assisted Edison with reference to the labour law aspects in relation to the worldwide sale of its oil & gas division. In particular, Clifford Chance has advised Edison on the signing of the agreement with Energean Oil & Gas to sell the 100% of Edison Exploration and Production and its subsidiaries in the hydrocarbons exploration and production business.
- Advising and assisting Daikin Applied Europe on all employment matters, including in managing industrial relations, drafting the incentive plan for agreement with unions in compliance with the criteria to apply favourable taxation for employees, managing recruiting, balancing different kind of employment arrangements, managing disciplinary proceedings and termination of employment with executives and other employees.
- Advice and assistance in several collective dismissal procedures and in the renewal of the group-level and area-level collective bargaining agreements for a major international retail group.
The small but highly regarded De Luca & Partners is an established Milanese labour and employment law firm, founded by current president Vincenzo De Luca. The firm is adept across a wide range of matters, including agency and trade union law, contracts, health and safety, compliance and immigration. Alberto De Luca is the name to note for issues relating to reorganisations, M&A, restructuring and private equity transactions. Vittorio De Luca is also recommended.
‘Alberto De Luca is one of the best employment lawyers in Milan. Very responsive and commercially minded. A perfect lawyer to work with when dealing with sophisticated international clients.’
‘The practice represents a powerful example of experts in all issues surrounding employment and labour laws and practices, providing a 100% integrated approach with all other potentially involved disciplines (e.g. tax, civil and contractual issues, etc.).’
‘Competence, pragmatic approach, client-oriented and brilliant capacity to deeply understand the dynamics and concerns arising from the client organization’
‘Alberto De Luca is a great lawyer with great expertise, always prompt to give answers when needed. Alberto is very flexible towards the needs of the client and is a good negotiator when it comes to labour litigation. Having Alberto’s support during a negotiation or transaction is a guarantee of correctness. Raffaele Di Vuolo is a very practical professional who digs deeply into the clients’ matters.’
- Assisted Covisian (with Aksia) on employment law matters within one of the largest cross-border transactions in the customer management services where Covisian operates.
- Assistance to Cattolica Assicurazioni within the operation aimed at ensuring Cattolica’s entry into the capital of IMA Italia Assistance, an insurance company belonging to the Inter Mutuelles Assistance Group.
Ichino Brugnatelli e Associati assists clients before national and European courts on matters concerning collective redundancies, non-compete obligations, damages claims resulting from suspensions without pay and demotions, and social security disputes. Name partner Pietro Ichino is the main contact.
Lexellent is entirely dedicated to labour law; with Giulietta Bergamaschi as managing partner and a 15-strong team (comprising five partners), the practice assists corporate clients across a variety of areas, including dismissals, health and safety, HR, reorganisations and trade union relations. Close attention is given to matters of occupational safety (with a dedicated department led by of counsel Francesco Bacchini) and equal opportunities (by promoting inclusion and devising policies that enhance diversity.)
‘They are clever, highly pragmatical and always open to give the best advice to avoid unnecessary risks.’
‘Excellent and up-to-date command of the national labour law. Able to compare national legal requirements or actions with international ones. Excellent and modern communication skills and style. Highly efficient and confident in managing court hearings.’
Aeroporto di Roma (Rome Airport)
IHI Charging Systems International S.p.A.
SAES Getter S.p.A.
Banca Popolare di Sondrio
- Continuing advice on labour law to Federculture on all matters covered in the relevant National Collective Bargaining Employment Agreement.
- Assistance to the new owner of Farmaceutici Damor with restructuring and reorganising the company following its acquisition.
- Assistance to Saes Getters in the preparatory stages of entering into a proximity agreement for the production unit of Avezzano.
Nctm Studio Legale's employment law and industrial relations team is well-regarded for its advice on negotiations or litigation relating to terminations, remuneration and employment relations. For M&A, restructuring and trade union relations, practice head Michele Bignami is the to-go lawyer. Cross-border employment law, redundancies and agency expert Ulrich Eller was promoted to senior adviser in January 2019.
‘Great knowledge of Italian employment regulations and procedures. The lawyers are well prepared and always ready to assist.’
‘Michele Bignami: skilled, reassuring and engaged; shows empathy to the client, proactive listening and competence.’
‘Michele Bignami and associate Chiara Zecchetto always go the extra mile and always leave the client with all of their questions clearly and carefully evaluated.’
- Represented Elior before labour courts in most delicate cases and provided ongoing assistance to the company, which has around one thousand employees.
- Representing IBM before the court in a highly complex case of transfer of a part of an undertaking in a highly regulated sector such as the IT sector in the banking industry where the traditional rules governing these kinds of transactions must be coordinated with those enacted by the Bank of Italy.
- Advised Maersk Group in several labour-related matters concerning the reshaping of its organization and the current change management process.
Simmons & Simmons' Milan team combines significant experience in the local Italian market with the benefits of the opportunities granted by the UK-based firm's international network. At the head of the team is Davide Sportelli, who handles collective dismissals, terminations of employment and trade union relations, as well as the employment aspects of M&A deals, and is assisted by five other lawyers. The practice's key clients include financial institutions, insurance businesses and retail and fashion companies.
‘Davide Sportelli is an excellent lawyer and advisor.’
AXA Real Estate
Giorgio Armani S.p.A.
Watts Technologies Group
- Assisted the AXA/XL Group in the implementation of the global merger in Italy.
- Assisted Giorgio Armani in litigation brought by employees of the Group Swiss Branch.
- Advised Watts Technologies Group on sensitive investigation on their Italian operations.
Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato
Reorganisations and restructurings, trade union negotiations, social security cases the employment aspects of M&A deals are all part of the wide employment offering of Allen & Overy - Studio Legale Associato. Advice is given by a 'very competent, quick and practical' team led by reputed counsel Livio Bossotto that includes 'talented' associate Giorgia Giorgetti.
‘Strong and professional team.’
‘Goal-oriented. Smart and professional. Able to make a reliable forecast of the result and success rate.’
Berkshire Hathaway International Insurance
EG Group Italia
Evraz Palini Bertoli
The Space Cinema
Twentieth Century Fox
Universal Pictures International Italy
- Advised Ball Corporation, a supplier of metal packaging to the beverage, food, personal care and household products industries, in relation to its restructuring process. including the closure of its Italian facility located in San Martino Sulla Marruccina and the related dismissal of 70 employees.
- Successfully advised our longstanding client Evraz Palini e Bertoli, an Italian company active in the steel manufacturing sector, in relation to several claims brought by different agents before the Courts of Appeal of Trieste and Ancona and the Court of Bari and related to the termination of the company’s activities in 2013.
- Advised Algebris Investments, a leading asset management company, on the temporary closure of the historic Grand Hotel et des Palmes in Palermo.
At Bird & Bird in Milan, the employment law team is managed by Amedeo Rampolla and newly promoted partner Cristiano Pambianchi. Both have a long track record in collective dismissals cases, handling both litigation and arbitration, whistleblowing cases and investigations as well as trade union negotiations. The team benefits from the wider firm's global HR knowledge zone, an online resource aimed at using technology to reduce costs for clients in numerous jurisdictions.
‘Great professionalism, objectivity and knowledge of the subject, promptness in their response’
‘Daphne Diorio Borri is and Amedeo Rampolla are absolutely recommendable’
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato
Carnelutti Studio Legale Associato's team, led by Giuseppe Bulgarini d’Elci handles a range of matters relating to issues such as workforce restructurings, collective agreements and trade union negotiations, while the practice also handles disputes relating to dismissals and other employee disagreements. The team takes pride in its active engagement with works councils, in collective agreements and trade union issues.
‘Giuseppe Bulgarini d’Elci and Giulia Busin are always engaged and know the client’s business very well, and are therefore able to support, mentor and understand specific needs. Outstanding under every single aspect, from customer relationship to meeting the deadlines.’
‘Giuseppe Bulgarini d’Elci is a star. He is always capable to deliver advice in the best possible way.’
‘Giulia Busin is constantly improving, precise, punctual and capable to manage multiple deadlines and prioritize work.’
Zentiva Italia S.r.l.
Evonik Italia S.r.l.
Bergamo International Studies S.r.l.
Corman S.p.a. and Logicor S.r.l.
Merz Pharma Italia S.r.l.
Smith & Nephew S.r.l.
Triumph International Rome S.p.a.
Immunodiagnostic Systems Group
Grandi Stazioni Retail S.p.a.
Solutions 30 Italia S.r.l. and Business Solutions Italia S.r.l.
Fratelli Branca Distillerie S.r.l.
Do&co Italy S.r.l.
Mibe Pharma Italia S.r.l.
Imerys Ceramics Italy S.r.l.
Imerys Talc Italy S.p.a. and Imerys Minerali Corsico S.r.l.
Cameron Italy S.r.l.
Wonderbox Italia S.r.l.
Alphabet Italia Fleet Management S.p.a.
Parexel International S.r.l.
Du pareil au meme Italy S.r.l.
Itt Italia S.r.l.
Sm Italia S.r.l.
Giesecke+devrient Mobile Security Italia S.r.l.
International School of Europe S.r.l., S. Louis School S.r.l. and International Schools of Italy S.r.l.
Global Tube S.p.a.
- Advised ITT Italia on a number of collective agreements affecting more than 1,800 employees at its plants across Italy.
- Acted for Zentiva Italia before the Court of Milan after objections were raised by 13 employees transferred to the client, which had recently acquired a portion of the business of Sanofi S.p.A. and taken on 50 employees of the division; the case was settled successfully with the employees accepting employment with Zentiva.
- Assisted fashion company Krizia International to close its flagship Milan store, negotiating individually with staff members to avoid negative press and grant them the option to be re-hired at a replacement store next year.
De Berti Jacchia Franchini Forlani's employment team is primarily engaged in advisory work relating to social security, tax and job safety matters. Restructuring and reorganisations also represent a significant part of the team's efforts, alongside litigation and trade union relations. Practice head Guido Callegari receives impressive feedback for his work on the employment aspects of M&A deals and his advice to senior management figures.
‘Very pragmatic, commercial and responsive team.’
‘Their responsiveness and client care sensitivity makes them stand out.’
‘Very responsive and easy to approach. ‘
‘Guido Callegari: impressive knowledge of employment law. Knows exactly what to do. Gaspare Rome: very quick and easy to work with.’
‘The practice is full of great, very professional and polite, cooperative and helpful people. They always do their best to find the best solution and they have the ability to understand our perspective and to be open to discuss different solutions.’
‘A great team, always available, outgoing and solution-oriented.’
‘Guido Callegari is a delight to work with. Great knowledge and always willing to give an extra effort to find the best solution.’
‘The capability of the firm to offer a full-range service, with high international credibility allowing multinationals to trust their advice’
‘An outstanding set of technical skills and in-depth preparation paired with humility. Deep empathy and availability, allowing a trustworthy and durable professional relationship. ‘
Amik Italia S.p.a
Bob Martin UK
Cial – Consorzio imballaggi alluminio
Dnp Photomask Europe Spa
Dunlop Conveyor Belting
Inter Cars Italia S.r.l. (inter cars group)
John Wiley & sons
Liberty Motors s.a.
Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, pc
Rolex SA and Rolex Italia Spa
Stanley International Betting
Vix technology group
- Advice to Biocure in relation to the proposed hiring of employees, temporary workers, commercial agents and self-employed workers in the framework of the reorganisation of the workforce of the company
- Assisting and advising Dnp Photomask Europe in connection with the reorganization of the workforce resulting from technological changes of the production (twelve employees moved to an affiliated company).
- Advising and assisting Inter Cars Italia on a reorganization of its activities in Italy.
At Dentons, the 'highly skilled' Davide Boffi leads the practice. He and his team handle major cross-border matters in the fashion and investment sectors - focusing on restructuring plans, collective dismissals, negotiations and agreements with trade unions as well as due diligence and the employment aspects of transactions.
‘Rounded knowledge and high performance in restructuring and litigation topics. Very strong in providing legal opinions that take into account the business context and eventual external factors that may affect the result of the transaction.’
‘Davide Boffi is highly skilled and nimble in finding the proper solution.’
‘Associate Marco Prandelli is really high-skilled, fast and precise in managing cases.’
Loc Group Limited
- Legal assistance to Calvin Klein on the total shutdown of all the Italian legal entities.
- Legal assistance to KKR on the Italian employment aspects related to the acquisition of Magneti Marelli.
At Gattai Minoli Agostinelli & Partners, Lorenzo Cairo has built up a solid portfolio of longstanding clients in the energy, pharmaceuticals, fashion and food sectors, which the team advises on restructurings, disciplinary and redundancy procedures and other agreements. Riccardo Corbani joined as of counsel from Bird & Bird in January 2019.
‘Prompt and precise answers to all queries. The team is used to working with big multinational companies and are very familiar with international issues. They are extremely good at explaining the peculiarities of the Italian legal system to foreign investors. They understand business needs and their assistance is always well focused on the agreed objectives. Impressive service quality.’
‘Lorenzo Cairo is a very talented professional. He is passionate and treats every task, even the smallest, as if it was his top priority. He is always very punctual, precise and clear in his strategies and explanations. Definitely among the best employment lawyers.’
‘The level of service is outstanding. Response times are impressive, accuracy is exceptional and advice is always provided with a full and clear explanation of all the related norms, laws, collective agreements and even company policies.’
Olympus Italia S.r.l.
Engie Italia S.p.A.
Engie Program S.r.l.
State Street Bank GmbH – Italian branch
Twin Disc S.r.l.
Verisure Italy S.r.l.
UCB Pharma S.p.A.
Intercept Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Value Retail PLC
Banca Farma Factoring S.p.A.
Octo Telematics S.p.A.
Fresenius Medical Care Italia S.P.A.
AG Digital Media S.r.l.
Héra Holding Real Estate S.p.A.
Amec Foster Wheeler Italiana S.r.l. (Wood Group)
Birra Peroni S.r.l.
GKN Wheels Italy S.r.l.
GKN Italia S.p.A.
- Assisted Roberto Cavalli in the procedure for being granted the Cassa Integrazione Guadagni Straordinaria (the Extraordinary Redundancy Fund) as it was in a state of crisis; negotiated the solidarity contract with the trade unions, which was approved by the Ministry of Labour.
- Assisted Bolis in the procedure for being granted the Cassa Integrazione Guadagni Straordinaria.
- Assisted Tweddle Group Italy S.r.l. in the implementation of a collective redundancy procedure
LCA Studio Legale's labour team has been on an expansion trajectory of late, including the hire of former Toffoletto De Luca Tamajo senior associate Ranieri Romani, who joined as a partner in mid-2019. The growing team assists clients that require both judicial and consultative advice, with a particular interest in the tech and sports industries. On top of that, trade union matters and extraordinary operations are also of central importance and are dealt with with the support of the firm's other deparments. Giuseppe Bologna focuses on personnel management, benefits and labour litigation; Stefano Becich di San Servolo has particular expertise in industrial and trade union relations.
‘The partners at LCA Studio Legale are always available and give immediate attention to the client’s requests. The team is highly qualified with solid law employment expertise.’
‘Main strengths are technical and legal skills, deep knowledge of specific industries (such as insurance) and quality of service. Ranieri Romani has great expertise, industry knowledge, accuracy and business acumen.’
‘Service level is excellent for appropriateness of advice and better than competitors for response and delivery time. The quality and commitment of the lawyers are truly what makes the difference.’
‘Building a relationship with the lawyers, having them deeply understand internal policies and procedures as well as the culture, helps save time when faced with legal support. Ranieri Romani has reliable experience on restructurings, mergers and acquisitions and day to day employment relations.’
Indaco Venture Partners SGR S.p.A.
Synlab Italia S.r.l.
Editrice Quadratum S.p.A.
Instrumentation Laboratories – Werfen
- Assisted Indaco Venture Partners in the due diligence process aiming at the second round of investment for Mainstreaming, advising on relevant issues concerning the workforce and the relationship with the company management.
- Assisted Microsoft in the renewal and review of individual smart working agreements and policies for the employees and other labour law matters.
The Italy arm of Littler Mendelson comprises two partners and four lawyers delivering 'accurate, on-time and proactive' support. The employment specialist firm moved into the Italian market in 2018; the team - led by Carlo Majer and Edgardo Ratti - handles a wide range of issues across the fashion, technology, banking, insurance and telecoms sectors. The practice is particularly adept at managing restructurings and reorganisations, industrial relations, transfers of business and litigation.
‘Littler has settled in Italy only recently but they seem to have already established a competent team. In fact, they are keen on all the topics related to employment and labour matters’
‘Edgardo Ratti is very detailed-oriented in the analysis of the situation, very helpful, competent and available. ‘
‘Litter has an outstanding approach to the client – solving practical problems in a specific period of time helping the clients concentrate on what matters more.’
‘They are able to identify the best possible option without losing time or money. A valuable partner and a great counsel in all topics.’
‘Edgardo Ratti is always available to solve urgent cases, he is very well organized and we have full trust in him.’
‘Very competent and customer-centred team providing high-level quality professional service ‘
‘Carlo Majer demonstrates competence, knowledge and skills. He is always up to date with latest news; he is a very high-level adviser. He is relentless in finding the best solution to solve all challenges’
- Assistance to Catalent Pharma Solutions in the management of labour law profiles related to the acquisition of Bristol-Myers Squibb’s product manufacturing and packaging facility in Anagni, Italy.
- Assistance to Esprinet (Borsa Italiana, PRT) in the acquisition of 51% of the shares of 4Side, a company formed by the historical management of the Italian subsidiary of Activision Blizzard.
- Assistance to Hic Mobile, an Italian company specialising in mobile advertising, in labour law assistance.
In the employment sphere, Norton Rose Fulbright handles matters relating to corporate governance, dismissals, trade unions and transactions. The team's substantial track record also includes restructurings at managerial level, for example transfers of entire groups of managers and remuneration policies. Team head Attilio Pavone is particularly active for consumer credit firms and financial services clients.
‘Very professional; good ratio costs/benefits. Attilio Pavone has very high competence in labour legislation cases, in particular, he knows in detail specific sectors and peculiarities, which makes it easy to deal with complicated matters in a very effective and efficient way’
Laboratoires Svr Italia
Shiseido Group Italy
Mann + Hummel
- Advised IMI plc on employment termination settlements with two top managers in Italy.
- Advised Synlab on negotiations with the Italian unions relating to a collective redundancy.
- Advised Shell on its employee profit sharing plan and compliance with Italian laws.
With the addition of Stefano Lava, who joined as a partner from Pedersoli Studio Legale in October 2018, Osborne Clarke has doubled the number of partners in its Italy employment team The practice, led by Marco Lanzani, advises clients across many sectors, including finance, fashion and luxury, logistics, transport and tourism, and are involved in current discussions about digital transformation, flexible work and the gig economy. Restructuring and other contentious matters are also regularly on the team's agenda.
‘Provides goods assessments of the outcome of litigation’
‘Marco Lanzani is a very solid employment lawyer. ‘
‘Very high-level legal advice, availability and willingness to identify solutions even in case of challenging scenarios.’
‘Marco Lanzani is a very competent lawyer with hands-on experience of the field. His thoroughness and preparation are very useful to clients.’
‘It is a pleasure to work with them as they really do understand the client’s business and can spot the core issues involved in any operation one might undertake.’
‘The relationship with the members of the team is informal, but service is professionally and timely provided. A standout partner is Marco Lanzani, who is a good strategic planner.’
‘Proactive to offer solutions and anticipate counterpart strategy.’
‘Tight-knit team that responds quickly and with a high level of quality to customer needs’
CREDEM – Credito Emiliano S.p.A.
Interpuls S.p.A/ Avon Rubber
Hexion / Momentive Group
Foot Locker Italy s.r.l
Club Méditerranée SA
Brivio&Viganò Logistics s.r.l
Stella McCartney Italia s.r.l
Banca Euromobiliare S.p.A.
Rishworth Aviation Ltd
The three-partner employment team at Pavia e Ansaldo provides a rounded service through close collaboration with other departments of the firm; in particular corporate M&A and compliance. Enrico Del Guerra brings long-standing experience to the table, especially regarding trade union negotiations, health and safety, termination of agency relationships and remuneration packages. Enrico Banchero and Valentina Simonelli are also well-regarded.
‘High expertise and professionalism’
‘Competence and reliability’
‘Accurate and quick in providing the requested advice’
Alice + Olivia Italia S.r.l
Fives Oto S.p.A.
Lectra Italia S.p.A.
McKinsey Italia & Co. Inc.
SDA Bocconi School of Management
Sonderhof Holding GmbH
Stahl Italy S.p.A.
Standard & Poor’s CMSI S.r.l.
Trenitalia S.p.A. (Gruppo Ferrovie dello Stato)
UPMC Italy S.r.l.
- Advising multiple clients on employment issues raised by recent reforms to Italy’s welfare system.
- Advising TUI Group on the employment aspects of a major acquisition.
- Advising leading German plastics player Armacell International on the employment aspects of its acquisition of a major Italian manufacturer.
UnioLex - Stucchi & Partners
Sought-after and much appreciated by international companies, the team at UnioLex - Stucchi & Partners provides all-round assistance and in-court representation during employment-related matters. Human resources, private banking, work safety and immigration are the main areas of expertise, together with reorganisations and industrial relations, which is a key strength of team head Olimpio Stucchi. Sharon Reilly and Marco Tesoro left the firm.
‘Andrea Savoia, Paola Gobbi and Silvia Fumagalli are a very strong team working very well together and individually’
‘A responsive, engaged and commercial team. They can be relied upon to pick up queries quickly and they work hard to understand the needs of their client.’
‘They understand the pressures, demands and pace of international businesses needing support in a complicated employment environment, and give practical and pragmatic advice, understanding the level of risk a Company wishes to pursue and giving business-focused solutions.’
Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria
Louis Dreyfus Company
- Acted for Brocade in the employment law aspects of the merger with Broadcom and in defending emergency injunctions against Brocade by former employees
- Assisted Trenord in test case lawsuits started before the Employment Court of Milan.
- Assisting Esaote Group in all its Italian and global employment matters.
Boursier Niutta & Partners
Boursier Niutta & Partners is a Rome-based independent boutique firm focusing on employment law - specifically on labour relations, dismissals, extraordinary operations, restructuring and agreements. Additionally, the team is active in labour maritime and air, military and military criminal law. Luca Garramone is the main contact.
'One of the best known and most highly regarded' labour and employment firms in Milan and in Italy, Daverio & Florio Studio Legale's excellent reputation is derived from the firm's work with banks, for which it covers both domestic and international employment work. The 'uniformly excellent' team includes the well-regarded Fabrizio Daverio (who specialises in labour and social security law), Salvatore Florio (who has a strong record on work relating to trade unions and the banking sector) and litigator Bernardina Calafiori.
‘The firm comprises very competent specialists. Every one of them is able to provide great advice in a professional manner and with human interest. This is particularly true for Fabrizio Daverio.’
‘Michele Pellegatta is very alert from a professional point of view, very passionate and aware of clients’ needs.’
Bernardina Calafiori, Anna Cozzi and Graziana Alò are incredibly knowledgeable, commercial and practical in their advice. Their English language skills, for English-speaking clients, is very good. Their technical knowledge is exceptional.’
‘The team at Daverio Florio is very impressive on many levels: dedicated, goal-oriented, knowledgeable and reactive. They deliver top quality advice in high-pressure environments and are very comfortable in cross-border matters involving multiple jurisdictions. ‘
‘Bernardina Calafiori is particularly smart, savvy and reactive. She can be trusted with complex labour and employment law issues. She perfectly understands the client’s needs and is entirely committed to addressing them. Anna Cozzi is an outstanding lawyer.’
‘The strengths of the team are undoubtedly the specialization and the activity in all the sectors of labour law, together with the knowledge of market and company business. Among the key skills of the team, there are high-level expertise and close attention to the client. ‘
‘Fabrizio Daverio has great experience and preparation and also excellent negotiating skills. All professionals have great preparation and experience; they are proactive and attentive to customer needs. The team stands out for efficiency, flexibility, speed and precision. An added value is the ability to establish a cordial relationship with the client.’
‘The team is a very professional one, always reliable, very well prepared, serious and available.’
‘Individuals are very quick and responsive, available at any time and professional’
‘Daverio Florio’s Team is very reliable, result-oriented and the advice is always to the point. They provide an excellent service. A very responsive and dedicated team with excellent work products.’
‘Strong and always updated knowledge. Pragmatic approach combined with a high level of competence’
‘Dedication and attention to the clients, promptness and reliability. Business awareness.’
‘The Firm is able to manage both complex litigations/procedures and out of the court settlement and smaller (but yet important for the client) issues. ‘
‘Great availability, engagement and efficiency. Excellent results in labour disputes and consulting to down-size projects.’
‘Fabrizio Daverio is the strength of the firm: always available, serious, competent, efficient.’
‘Studio Daverio & Florio has always been characterized by a high level of professionalism and competence of its members.’
‘A great merit of Fabrizio Daverio was then to have created over the years a team of absolute reliability and high professionalism. Antonella Losinno, Massimiliano Freddi, Stefano Piroso, Giordano Franchi and Olindo Genovese are certainly worth mentioning’
Gatti Pavesi Bianchi Ludovici has a 'very good' Milan-based employment team, whose main areas of practice include industrial and trade union relations, restructuring and reorganisations. These, together with litigation and M&A matters, are addressed by leading duo Paola Tradati and Nicola Bonante, who left Gianni & Origoni to join the firm in 2018.
‘Practical advice in day-to-day matters as well as in major restructuring programs’
‘Pietro Scianna deals with complex clients almost independently.’
‘High skills and excellent understanding of customer needs; always very helpful and able to maintain excellent relationships’
‘Nicola Bonante is very skilled, able to approach problems with a different point of view, very determined to reach the goal. Pietro Scianna has high capabilities and great empathy is of great support.’
Timac Agro S.p.A.
Banca Mediolanum S.p.A.
Sorin Group Italia
Arnoldo Mondadori Editore S.p.A.
L’Oréal Saipo Industriale S.p.A.
- Assisted Timac Agro in reaching, following negotiations with the works council, a “proximity agreement” which allows the overcoming of the narrow schemes introduced by the so-called “Dignity Decree”.
- Assisted Ceme in defining a “proximity agreement” with the company’s works council and local trade unions for the personnel employed at a specific plant located in the north of Italy.
- Provided ongoing assistance to ETRO, a leading Italian fashion group which operates with several companies,, in the day by day employment law issues.
Assisting clients both in and out of court, the Milan employment team at K&L Gates is 'fast, reliable and hands-on.' The practice is deeply rooted in the digital, hotels and logistics markets, where they assist employers in general labour law matters with a focus on relationships with trade unions. The team's most significant undertakings often include restructurings, redundancy plans, negotiations and collective agreements. Roberto Podda is the main contact.
‘The team delivers quality work.’
‘Roberto Podda is the key contact. Friendly, always available and super fast in delivering quality and accurate advice.’
‘Excellent knowledge of labour law. Always ready to advise and support. Great analytical abilities, also in the junior associates. ‘
‘Excellent knowledge of labour law. Excellent abilities to understand business environments and dynamics.’
SUPERMERCATO 24 S.R.L.
SLIM FUSINA ROLLING S.R.L.
Fiocchi Munizioni SpA
Marist College Italy
Segula Technologies Italia
Sanda Vadò Srl
Gianetti Ruote SpA
ANIKA THERAPEUTICS S.R.L.
Micro Research Europe
- Represented 3DSystems in the restructuring of its Italian finance department and in the related management of redundancies.
- Represented Supermercato 24 in establishing its business model in respect to the relationships with its employees and independent contractors.
- Assisting the client, a primary company in the industrial sector and former part of the Alcoa group, in any out-of court labour topic, litigation and management of trade union relationships.
The employment practice at Orsingher Ortu – Avvocati Associati has a busy practice advising on contracts and policy negotiations, as well as trade union proceedings, dismissals and litigation, and the employment aspects of M&A transactions. Under the guidance of practice head Alessandro De Palma, the team is able to advise clients across a plethora of sectors in Italy and abroad, thanks to a wide international network of partner law firms.
‘Very professional team and well managed by Alessandro De Palma. High capability to attract and keep young talents. No distance between the firm and the client.’
‘Among their strengths are empathy, problem-solving, strategic vision, professionalism, legal knowledge and orientation to the client.’
Nomura International Plc – Italian Branch
Gattinoni & Co. S.r.l.
Maxi Zoo Italia S.p.A.
Catalina Marketing Italia S.r.l.
Walt Disney Company Italia S.r.l.
Kellogg Italia S.p.A.
Glencore International AG
Airbnb Italy S.r.l.
Antares Vision S.p.A.
- Ongoing legal assistance to Nomura on the day-by-day management of any employment and labour issues (including the implementation of a Smart Working Policy and the dismissal of several top managers).
- Ongoing legal assistance to ItaliaOnline.
- Ongoing legal assistance to Maxi Zoo Italia.
At Portolano Cavallo, Andrea Gangemi leads the employment practice. He advises on the employment aspects of major transactions, compensation for damages, termination of employees and managers as well as compliance (very often IT compliance, in collaboration with the privacy department) and investigations.
‘Very responsive and practical advisers even when they are communicating in a non-native language and explaining Italian employment law matters.’