JunHe LLP's well-established presence in labour and employment is offered from several locations, including Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzen. The practice has expertise in both contentious and non-contentious matters, from labour disputes and arbitration proceedings, to advising on major transactions and M&A-related matters. The team has specialist expertise in litigation, arbitration proceedings, and collective bargaining with trade unions. The firm advises clients in all the key sectors from consumer goods and healthcare, to energy and finance. Dongpeng WANG, practice head and co-founder of the practice, has significant expertise in various HR contentious and non-contentious issues.
Labour and employment: PRC firms in China
Other key lawyers:
US Embassy, Beijing
Walmart Stores, Inc.
Disney Resort & Walt Disney
- Assisted Collins Aerospace Systems with providing legal services on labor and personnel issues in the acquisition of Rockwell Collins by UTC Aerospace Systems.
- Advised on acquisition of all shares in AXA Tianping P&C Insurance Co., Ltd. by AXA Group
- Advised on employee transfer in Keysight Technologies’ Acquisition of Prisma.
King & Wood Mallesons
King & Wood Mallesons' practice handles all aspects of labour and employment including social insurance, trade union matters, HR compliance management and equity incentives. The team has significant experience in employment arbitration and litigation, as both practice heads Junlu Jiang and Linda Liang also serve as part-time arbitrators for Beijing labour dispute arbitration committees. The practice works alongside key government authorities such as the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security of China, and Junlu Jiang has participated in the legislative drafting of various PRC employment laws. Lucy Lu is also noted and specialises in labour and employment, foreign investment, mergers and acquisitions, and corporate matters.
Amazon (China) Investment Co., Ltd.
New China Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
Hella Shanghai Electronics Co, Ltd
Xian-Janssen Pharmaceutical Ltd./ Johnson & Johnson
Jonjee Hi-tech Industrial & Commercial Holding Co., Ltd.
YUDO Hot System Co., Ltd.
Hangzhou Soyang Co., Ltd.
Shanghai CapVision Information Technology Co., Ltd.
Shanghai Genext Medicine Technology Co., Ltd.
- Advised Anbang Insurance Group on an employee redundancy project and arbitration case.
- Represented a major public listed steel enterprise in a compensation related class action lawsuit.
- Advised Hella Shanghai Electronics Co. on employee placement in its selling of subsidiaries and assets in China.
Zhong Lun Law Firm has 'deep professional knowledge' in labour and employment. The team has a wide range of expertise spanning employee recruitment and terminations of employment, to trade unions and labour disputes. The practice also advises on immigration laws and cross-border work. The firm has a strong client base consisting of Fortune 500 multinationals and large state-owned and central enterprises, as well as small and medium-sized companies and startups. Carol Zhu heads the practice in Shanghai and advises on all aspects of labour and employment matters. Beijing-based practice head Haiyan Duan advises on employment law, social security law and trade union law. Lingchen Pu and Scott Guan are also noted.
‘Zhong Lun Law Firm/Duan Haiyan and his team have deep professional knowledge in the field of labor law, excellent service quality, and excellent industry reputation. They are our trusted business partners.‘
Tesla China (including Tesla Motors (Beijing) Co,. Ltd. and its PRC affiliates)
Daimler’s PRC Affiliates (including Daimler Greater China Ltd., Mercedes-Benz Auto Finance Ltd., and Beijing Mercedes-Benz Sales Service Co. Ltd, Daimler Trucks and Buses (China) Ltd.)
Microsoft (China) Co., Ltd.
Lilly Asia Ventures
The Export-Import Bank of China
Air China Limited and China National Aviation Holding Company
Huarong Securities Co., Ltd.
UNIS WDC Storage Co., Ltd
The Jackson Laboratory
World Conservation Monitoring Centre
The Middleby Corporation
ACT, Inc (American College Test)
ABS Group of Companies, Inc.
6 Dimensions Capital
Radisson Hotel Group
TKAS Auto Steel Company Limited
Cadence Design Systems
Rheem Manufacturing Company
GGB Bearing Technology
- Assisted Daimler Greater China Limited with day-to-day labor law consultation for over 5 years.
- Advised the ESOP issue in TKH’s sales of a PRC subsidiary to a PRC state owned enterprise, with a deal value of RMB 215,129,865.19.
- Advised a US corporation on employment settlement arising from liquidation of a Shanghai entity.
- Assisted the Jackson Laboratory with all-round daily HR services and providing multi-angle and comprehensive legal advice on risks prevention and control.
AnJie Law Firm has extensive labour and employment expertise with a broad range of industry knowledge, from natural gas and real estate, to finance and insurance. The firm's key clients are state-owned enterprises, multinationals, unions, and privately owned companies. The team handles all aspects of contentious and non-contentious labour and employment-related matters, with growing expertise in white collar crime prevention, anti-corruption, and equity incentive plans. Beijing practice head Zhenghe Liu has a strong background in employment, social security, and labour union law. Jun Shen is also noted and has significant litigation experience. The team is praised for its 'rich practical experience'.
‘Lawyer Liu Zhenghe and Lawyer Luo Kaitian demonstrated outstanding professional skills and customer-oriented service in the process of serving our company, and provided customers with highly operational opinions.’
‘Very familiar with the internal processes of multinational companies, pragmatic, rich in practical experience, and partners are deeply involved in case handling.’
China Seed International Seed Co., Ltd.
Taikang Group/Taikang Life Insurance
- Represented Alibaba and its affiliates in labour arbitration and litigation cases for the past 5 consecutive years.
- Assisted Omron Precision Electronics (Dongguan) Co., Ltd. with its dissolution and employee placement project.
- Provided legal services to HCL Technologies Limited to formulate a labor and personnel FAQ manual in English.
Fangda Partners has an experienced labour and employment team that handles human resources issues, compliance, and employee layoffs. The practice has expertise in litigation and arbitration and advises clients on disputes concerning non-competition agreements, trade secrets, and wrongful termination. In addition, the practice has experience handling incentives including issues with employee stock ownership plans (ESOP). Practice head Bo Zhou has a strong background in labour and employment and advises on ESOP disputes, employee misconduct investigations, labour arbitration and litigation. Lisa Zhao is also noted and acts for multinationals and state-owned enterprises.
‘The team is good at labor law and has extensive experience in the field of labor law.’
Wellington College China
Oxford University Press
- Assisted a well-known international private school to have a comprehensive review and formulation of the human resources management policies and employment agreements.
- Advised a leading UK-based press in a labour dispute case with its former employee.
- Advised a US-based technology company in dealing with a labour dispute case with its former employee.
R&P China Lawyers
R&P China Lawyers is a foreign-managed PRC law firm with a good presence in labour and employment. The practice has particular expertise in retail and advises a range of leading household names. Other industries covered include, medical devices, pharmaceuticals and healthcare. The team regularly advises on a wide range of employment-related work such as compliance investigations, employee fraud and terminations. The Shanghai-based practice is led by Robin Tabbers and Maarten Roos.
‘The team at R&P is very competent and very knowledgeable about a lot of all round situations.’
D-Box Technologies Inc (TSX:DBO)
Motul (privately owned)
Progress-Werk Oberkirch AG (XETRA:PWO)
Columbia Sportswear (NASDAQ: COLM)
Brunel (AMS: BRNL)
Soprema Group (privately owned)
AMTECH Systems (NASDAQ: ASYS)
- Assisted ACA Systems Oy with the termination of Chief Representative of Representative Office by terminating the remaining employees and negotiate settlements and resignations against favourable terms.
River Delta Law Firm is headquartered in Shanghai and has a sizeable labour and employment practice with office locations spread across China including Beijing, Shenzhen, Suzhou, Chengdu, and more. The practice handles contentious and non-contentious matters and advises clients in a wide range of industries from finance and insurance, to retail and technology. Founding partner Jason Lu is a key individual to note. Cathy Qu also heads the practice and has a strong background in human resources, arbitration and litigation. Bai Lijuan is an 'experienced and reliable expert' in labour and employment law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Partner Bai Li Juan’s team always provide timely legal services in the area of PRC labor and employment law with good quality, reasonable prices, and high level of partner engagement.’
‘Bai Li Juan (partner) is an experienced and reliable expert in the area of PRC labor and employment law.’
Ant Financial Network Technology Co. Ltd. (Hangzhou)
Shanghai Roche Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
Pernod Ricard (China) Trading Co. Ltd.
Decathlon Sports Goods Co. Ltd. (Shanghai)
Fresnius Medical Care R&D Co. Ltd. (Shanghai)
- Advised The In-Tech Co. Ltd. (Shenzhen) on the planning and execution of the relocation of over 2000 employees.
- Advised Shenzhen VPower Financial Escort Co. Ltd. on the termination of a group of senior employees.
- Advised Columbia Sportswear Company on a successful termination, despite a general lack of evidence, of a store manager conducting illegal actions causing more than CNY 420,000 in losses.
FenXun Partners has a high level of expertise in labour and employment with experience handling complex litigation and arbitration cases. Other key areas of work include pensions, benefits and compensation, immigration matters, and multi-jurisdictional workforce reorganisations. Bofu An heads the practice and has a strong background in arbitration.
‘The team truly knows labour law, and understands our business.’
‘They truly partner with me and understand both the law, and our business. They also know me and how I work and keep track of all things I need to know.’
DaHui Lawyers has an experienced labour and employment team that handles a broad range of work including internal restructurings, redundancy and mass layoffs, trade union issues, and collective bargaining. Xing Wan heads the practice and focuses on complex litigation and arbitration cases. Cloud Li also heads the practice and has a strong background in the finance and TMT sectors. Lin Bai is a key individual in the team who specialises in dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
China National Seeds (Joint Venture between Monsanto and SINOCHEM)
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Lindsay Manufacturing Co.
Yellow River Asset Management LLC
World Gold Council
- Advised RELX Group on labor dispute with former president.
DeHeng Law Offices has a strong team of labour and employment specialists that handle a variety of work including compliance, labour dispatching, competitive restrictions, and dispute resolution. The practice has a particular presence in finance and represents leading household names. Jianping Wang and Wenwei Su jointly head the practice and have a wealth of expertise in labour and employment.
Bank of China Beijing Branch
Beaufour lpsen Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd
Beijing Sense Time Development Co., Ltd
Beijing Watsons Personal Goods Chain Store Co., Ltd
China Offshore Petroleum Power Group Co., Ltd
China Merchants Bank Beijing Branch
Kerry Eas Logistics Ltd
Man Truck And Bus (China) Co., Ltd
Sino-Ocean Group China Co., Ltd
- Advised HR compliance audit project of YunNan BaiYao Group Co., Ltd according to the state compliance requirements.
- Advised Chengtong Human Resources Co., Ltd on dispatching employees to three bankruptcy reorganization companies.
- Serve as the agent ad litem of KunYuan Asset Management Co., Ltd in a labor dispute case.
Dentons has an established presence in labour and employment with offices spread across China in key jurisdictions including Shanghai, Beijing, Shenzhen, and Guangzhou. The team advises clients in all industries from manufacturing to energy. Typical instructions received from clients will involve handling employment contracts, terminations, and immigration issues. Xin Luo and Lijie Zhang are key individuals to note.
Global Law Office act for an extensive client base of multinationals and has a strong cross-border employment practice. The team advises clients on compliance, mass-layoffs and transfers, litigation and other employment-related matters. Zhao Li heads the team in Beijing and has a high level of expertise in labour and employment arbitration cases. Shanghai-based practice head Weiwei Gu also has a strong background in dispute resolution.
United Technologies Corp.
- Represented Boehringer Ingelheim regarding its dispute over employment termination.
- Represented Carrier Air-conditioning Sales Services (Shanghai) regarding its dispute over employment termination.
- Represented CARsgen Therapeutics regarding its dispute over employment termination and non-compete obligation.
Han Kun Law Offices acts for a range of multinational companies and specialises in labour arbitration and litigation cases. The firm acts for key clients in the healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors, as well as the internet and asset management space. Practice head Wei Huang has a strong background in employment disputes, particularly in areas including employment termination and non-competition matters.
- Represented DotHill Systems Tianjin Ltd. in a labour arbitration and litigation case brought by one of its former employees.
- Represented 51Talk’s China entity in a labour dispute case against its former regional manager.
- Assisted AbbVie in collecting and organizing evidence and represented the client in arbitration.
Jincheng Tongda & Neal has a strong dispute resolution practice concerning employment cases as well as a strong client base consisting of domestic and international firms. Key sectors of strength include finance, construction, technology, hotels and hospitality. Feng Liang and Chunyun Pang jointly head the practice.
Other key lawyers:
China Civil Engineering Corporation Limited (CCECC)
Nuctech Company Limited
Beijing XD Investment Management Group
Yangguang Co. Ltd.
CSSC Investment Development Co., Ltd.
Beijing Umicore Jubo Thin Film Products Co., Ltd.
Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC)
Changjiang Securities (Shanghai) Asset Management Co. LTD
Ingersoll Rand Group
AT&S (China) Co. Ltd.
- Advised CCECC in disputes between the company and its expatriate worker.
- Engaged by Nuctech as its labor legal consultant to provide comprehensive legal support for recruitment, on-the-job management, departure risk prevention, and labor dispute management.
- Engaged by Yangguang Co. to serve as the company’s labor legal consultant, providing one-stop labor legal services on labor law related issues, labor contracts, rules and regulations and individual disputes in the entire process of human resources operation and management.
Lantai Partners has specialists in labour and employment with a particular focus on labour disputes. The firm advises a range of clients from administrative bodies to industrial enterprises. The firm's clients operate in all the key sectors such as manufacturing, finance, healthcare, and media. Cheng Yang and Xie Lina jointly run the practice.
China Development Bank
The People’s Bank of China Clearing Center
China Everbright bank
STATE GRID Corporation of China
China National Nuclear Corporation
Longfor Group Holdings Limited
SINOCHEM Energy Co., Ltd.
Baidu Times Network Technology (Beijing) Co., Ltd.
The People’s Insurance Company (Group) of China Limited
Bank of Beijing Co., Ltd.
The Westin Jinmao Hotel
- Advised State Grid Information & Telecommunication Co on the compliance risks of labor and employment.
- Assisted China HuaRong Asset Management Co. with legal advice on daily labor management, review rules and regulations, agreements and other legal texts for the client, and issue written legal opinions on decision- making matters of the client in employee management.
- Advised Beijing Tianrun New Energy Investment Co on labour and employment-related matters.
PW & Partners is based in Guangzhou and has a strong presence in the regions of Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macau. The practice has a broad client offering with notable expertise in cross-border employment-related matters. The practice has clients in a range of sectors, particularly in retail and industrials. James Peng heads the practice and has 'excellent knowledge' of labour and employment law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Thorough knowledge and access to key governmental officials. PW & Partners also represent key industries in their province.’
‘James Peng – Excellent knowledge, experience, and profile respected throughout the province.‘
Mars Wrigley confectionery (China) co., Ltd
KWG Group Holdings (stock code HK.1813)
Jabil Circuit China
Suning.com (stock code 002024.SZ)
ZHONGSHENG PHARMA (stock code 002317)
Daido Die & Mold Steel Solutions (Guangzhou) Co., Ltd
Earth Products China Limited Co., Ltd
Guangzhou Renolite Plastic Co., Ltd
IKA Works Guangzhou
Guangdong Centaline Real Estate Agency Co., Ltd
RKW Guangzhou Company Ltd.
- Advised Energy China on an employee placement project in one of its subsidiaries.
- Represented KWG Group in its salary and welfare compliance project.
- Advised Zhongsheng Pharma on a significant personnel redundancy and restructuring.