Charles welcomes instructions to advise and represent clients across all of Chambers’ practice areas. His main areas of interest include:
- Planning and Environment
- Public law, Human Rights and EU
- Highways and Traffic
- Compulsory Purchase and Compensation
- Local Government including Council Tax and Rating
- Licensing, Police and Anti-social Behaviour
Charles has appeared as sole counsel before the High Court, planning inquiries, enforcement inquiries, traffic inquiries, DCO issue specific hearings, the Valuation Tribunal, Crown Court, County Court, Magistrates’ Court, and Council sub-committees. He has acted for a number and range of different private and public clients.
Recent work includes:
- R (Newton Longville Parish Council) v Aylesbury Vale District Council  CO/5165/2018, acting on behalf of the Council
- R (Khala) v Kingston Crown Court, Commissioner of Police of the Metropolis  CO/15/2019, acted on behalf of the successful Commissioner in a challenge which included allegations of disability discrimination and failure to have regard to the public sector equality duty, both under the Equality Act 2010
- Hornsea Project Three Offshore Windfarm DCO (up to 300 turbines), acting on behalf of Natural England including in a number of issue specific hearings
- Parklands, Wokingham (APP/X0360/W/18/3204133), acted (as junior to Morag Ellis QC) for the successful appellant in a four day inquiry arising from the Council’s refusal of permission for up to 55 dwellings.
- Various Claimants v Secretary of State for Transport (Heathrow Runway 3)  EWHC CO/2760;  CO/3071;  3089/2018;  3147/2018;  3149/2018, instructed as junior counsel to assist with resisting various judicial review challenges to the Government’s Airport National Policy Statement (preferring Heathrow Runway 3).
- Kenton Lane Farm, Harrow (APP/M5450/W/17/3167162), acted on behalf of the Council in this appeal which related to enabling development
Charles is able to accept instructions directly from members of the public in appropriate cases.