Dr Michael Moser > Twenty Essex > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Twenty Essex Offices
20 ESSEX STREET
- Go to...
Dr Michael Moser
- Direct investments
- General commercial
- Investor-state parties
- Major projects
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Oil and gas
- Technology licensing
- Trade transactions
Michael serves as arbitrator in high-value, complex international disputes. His specialities include energy/oil and gas, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, major projects/construction, investor-state disputes and bilingual arbitration proceedings (English/Chinese).
He has served as arbitrator in more than 300 cases sited in Asia, Europe and North America under both ad hoc and institutional rules. Michael is an accredited arbitrator of the major international arbitration institutions worldwide.
Resident in Asia (China/Hong Kong/Japan) for more than 30 years, Michael has special expertise in relation to disputes involving Asian sovereigns and commercial parties. He has served as Council Member and Chairman of the HKIAC, Court member of the LCIA, and Board member of the SCC. He currently sits as a member of the Board of the SIAC and the VIAC. Michael has been honoured by Chambers Global for his contributions to arbitration in Asia.
He was ranked by Chambers Global 2019 as a “star Individual” and one of the “Most in Demand Arbitrators” worldwide.
Resident in Asia for more than 30 years. Former China managing partner for Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer. The first foreign national to be appointed an arbitrator in the People’s Republic of China. Appointed by the Chinese government to a United Nations Working Group preparing official English translations of Chinese investment legislation and arbitration laws. Honorary chairman, Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC); vice chair of the Arbitration Committee, International Bar Association (2003-06). Adjunct Professor of Law, City University of Hong Kong. Author of many books and articles including ‘Investor-State Arbitration in Asia’ (OUP, forthcoming) and ‘Asia Arbitration Handbook’ (OUP, 2011). General editor of the ‘Journal of International Arbitration’.
Mandarin Chinese (Ptonghua) (fluent)
- Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce: Board Member
- Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group: Past Vice President
- CIA: Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow
- China International Arbitration: Club Chairman
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission: Commission Member and Member of the Experts Advisory Group
- City University of Hong Kong School of Law: Chairman of International Advisory Board
- Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators: Fellow
- HKIAC: Honorary Chairperson
- Hong Kong SAR: Justice of the Peace
- International Bar Association: Past Vice Chair of Arbitration Committee
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution: Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
- London Court of International Arbitration: court member
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators: Fellow
- SIAC: International Advisory Board Member
- Vienna International Arbitration Centre: Board Member
- Columbia University: PhD (With Distinction)
- Harvard Law School: Juris Doctor