Alex Bone > AA Thornton > London, England > Lawyer Profile
AA Thornton Offices
- Go to...
Patents: Engineering, physics and mechanical devices
Alex is a partner and UK Chartered and European Patent Attorney in the
Engineering, Physics & Mechanical Devices department and has
many years of experience, having entered the profession in the year
Alex joined the firm in 2014 following seven years working inhouse
at Novartis Pharmaceuticals Ltd where he was responsible
for IP support relating to medical delivery devices and packaging
projects across the Pharma division. During that time he was also
involved in the IP due diligence relating to a number of acquisition
and licence deals.
Alex’s professional experience covers a broad range of technologies
including medical devices and associated formulation technology, oil and
gas drilling, food packaging, wind and water turbines, waste treatment
and automotive technologies. Alex has considerable experience in
advising businesses about IP strategy, including managing freedom to
operate risks and the protection of product developments.
- Alex began his patent career in 2000 working in a private practice in Suffolk where he trained and qualified as a UK Chartered and European patent attorney
- Alex moved to an in-house role with pharmaceutical company Novartis focusing on medical devices and packaging in 2006
- He joined A.A. Thornton & Co. in July 2014 and was promoted to Senior Associate, in July 2016.
- Alex was promoted to Partner in September 2018
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA)
- Member of the European Patent Institute (EPI)
- MA and MEng in Chemical Engineering from the University of Cambridge