DLA Piper > Singapore, Singapore > Firm Profile
DLA Piper Offices
80 RAFFLES PLACE #48-01
DLA Piper > The Legal 500 RankingsDLA Piper‘s team handles all aspects of insurance work, including coverage issues, claims, regulatory compliance and insurance-industry corporate transactions. On the contentious front, areas of expertise include property, casualty, energy, construction and political risk claims, as well as cyber liability matters. John Goulios , co-chair of the firm’s insurance sector group, leads the team with a strong track-record in insurance disputes, as does senior associate Andrew Robinson.
Other key lawyers:
‘Their lawyers are familiar with the insurance industry. Their advices are clear, professional and deliver on timely basis.’
‘Our company usually work with John Goulios. He is very experienced with insurance and claims matters. His advice is very detailed, clear and professional.’
Partner Reinsurance Asia Pte Ltd
Swiss Re International SE
Allianz SE Reinsurance Munich
Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty SE.
Chubb Insurance Singapore Ltd
Liberty Specialty Markets Pte Ltd
Brit Syndicates Limited
Marsh & McLennan Companies Inc.
- Advising insurers and reinsurers, including Swiss Re International SE, Brit Syndicates Limited, Tokyo Marine Kiln, Allianz SE Reinsurance Munich, on numerous Covid-19 insurance and reinsurance claims.
- Acting on behalf of joint liability reinsurers, AIG Asia Pacific Insurance Pte Ltd, Chubb Insurance Singapore Ltd, Liberty Specialty Markets Pte Ltd, in respect of covering losses arising from a large-scale explosion and fire at a large-scale industrial petrochemical complex in Korea.
- Acting as underwriter’s counsel and advising the client on nine individual catastrophe bonds deals (insurance-linked security transactions) through Singapore special purpose vehicles, covering hurricane and earthquake risks in the US.
‘Strong cross-jurisdictional capability and great experience.’
‘I have worked with DLA Piper for many years and highly recommend the New York and Singapore partners for dealing with issues on antitrust, compliance investigations and regulatory issues. They have a team across various countries and can support the issue 24/7, if necessary. They also have super connections with forensic accountants and other consultants.’
‘Maurice Burke is very knowledgeable and a pleasure to work with.’
‘Nate Bush is a wonderful lawyer with a deep knowledge of the Chinese market.’
Joe Bauerschmidt; Philip Lee
Other key lawyers:
David Kuo; Mei Sum Chan
‘Well balanced between technical knowledge and ability to formulate pragmatic solutions. Able to hold their own against firms further up the food chain. The team is resilient and able to manage well during crunch time in transactions.’
‘Philip Lee offers a great service – very responsive and able to give clear and useful advice even in high pressure situations. ’
‘Transparent billing, able to explain legal terms to non-legal professionals.’
PT Asia Vision Network
PT Bank Mandiri (Persero)
Hydoo International Holding
Washington H Soul Pattison Company Limited
- Advised an Indonesian media conglomerate, the MNC Group in a US-SEC registered exchange offer of securities and reverse merger with a SPAC. The SPAC business combination is scheduled to file within the next few weeks and will be the first substantial Southeast Asian SPAC transaction. The transaction is rumoured by Bloomberg to create the “Netflix of Asia” and will create a Nasdaq listed stock with market cap in excess of US$600m.
- Advised Avation on a significant debt restructuring involving negotiations with holders of its US$350m high yield bond issues. Through our work, the client was able to achieve a bond restructuring which is critical to the company’s survival during Covid-19.
- Advised on Sylebra Capital’s US$855m PIPE investment, in the US$1.2b business combination of RMG Acquisition Corporation II with ReNew Power (India’s leading pure-play renewable energy producer, US$8b valuation)
PT Asia Vision Network
Beijing Wise Road
Digital Edge Asia
Laureate Education, Inc.
FinLab EOS VC Europe I GmbH & Co. KG
- Advising an Indonesian media conglomerate, the MNC Group in a US$573m merger with Malacca Straits, a Nasdaq-listed SPAC. The transaction is rumoured by Bloomberg to create the Netflix of Asia and will create a Nasdaq listed stock with market cap in excess of US$600m. The deal was publically announce 21 March 2021 and expected to close early Q3 2021.
- Representing certain PIPE investors in seven SPAC investments totalling more than US$2.5b, as part of US$11.4b of SPAC transactions.
- Providing ongoing counsel to a Singapore company formed in 2020 which will be the leading Asia-based data centre company on more than US$800m of pending and potential acquisitions in China and Indonesia and other corporate work in Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, the Philippines and Korea.
‘DLA Piper impresses with the quality of their people and their commitment to giving clients the best team to get the job done without cutting corners. I always feel like I am getting the gold standard of legal services when I get DLA Piper on board to advise me on my projects. They have specialists who understand our business and are able to “talk our talk” which really helps to build trust and assure me that they know what they are doing.’
‘We wanted to work with out long-standing trusted advisor, Vincent Seah. He has advised us on many of our projects in Asia and going back to him was a natural choice because of the level of service he is able to offer. He’s extremely knowledgeable and he is a very skilled negotiator and is adept at finding good commercial solutions to the most difficult issues, which is his key strength. Of course, he has a capable team behind him and they are always responsive, whatever time of the day.’
‘DLA Piper has a diverse and experienced team. In my area, which is project finance, they have shown knowledge and creativity in closing deals.’
‘I have worked with Vincent Seah on various challenging project. He always has an eye for the crux of the problem and offers practical and creative solutions. He also displays intimate understanding of developing markets.’
Global Power Synergy Corporation
Mitsui & Co
TTCL Public Company
- Advising Ditrolic Solar and China Huadian on the acquisition, development and financing of a 70MWp solar power project in Bangladesh.
- Advising TTCL Public Company, Sojitz Corporation, INPEX Corporation, Shikoku Electric Power Company, and Chukoku Electric Power Company on all aspects of the development and financing of the 388MW Ahlone LNG-to-power project in Myanmar.
- Advising Barito Pacific, Korea Electric Power Company and Indonesia Power, in their role as sponsors, on all aspects of the development and financing of the US$3.3bn 2x1000MV Jawa 9 & 10 coal-fired power station in Indonesia, involving Euler Hermes, KEXIM and K-Sure.
Other key lawyers:
‘DLA Piper has shown to be flexible and has great connectivity with the Chinese clients in particular onshore but also in south-east Asia and Hong Kong.’
‘Great at working on cross border transactions. Very experienced and client oriented. Very easy to work with.’
‘Strong performers and very knowledgeable. Very reliable.’
‘The team is always helpful even on ad-hoc advice/potential transaction. The team is well-versed on trade financing transactions and have set up various trade programme for a number of banks; as such, they would be one of my go-to firm at structural stage to gauge on whether what we are thinking to do are doable, market standard and if there are any red-flags.’
Capital Square Partners
TTCL Public Company
Korea Electric Power Company (KEPCO)
- Advised Capital Square Partners on LBO acquisition financing to acquire the CSS Corp group of companies.
- Advising a consortium of TTCL Public Company, Sojitz Corporation,, INPEX Corporation, and Shikoku Electric Power Company and Chukoku Electric Power Company on all aspects of the development and financing of the 388MW Ahlone LNG-to-power project in Myanmar.
- Advising Barito Pacific and Indonesia Power, in their role as sponsors, on all aspects of the development and financing of the US$3.3bn 2x1000MV Jawa 9 & 10 coal-fired power station in Indonesia, involving Euler Hermes, KEXIM and K-Sure. This is a pathfinder project involving the financing of a completely new structure in Indonesia.
Malaysia > Foreign firms Tier 2DLA Piper’s Malaysian team strengths include sector expertise in insurance, education, energy, financial services and technology. The practice is led by M&A expert Heng Loong Cheong who also advises on complex corporate reorganisations and equity and debt capital markets transactions, with a focus on emerging markets. Vincent Seah is notable for his experience of pan-Asia mandates, acting for sponsors and developers on corporate and financing matters in the power industries.
Laureate Education, Inc.
Ditrolic Solar and China Huadian
- Advised Laureate Education on USD140m sale of INTI to HOPE Education Group.
- Represented Ditrolic Solar, a Malaysia-based solar clean energy company, and China Huadian on the acquisition, development and financing of a 70MWp solar power project in Bangladesh.
- Advised a global insurance broker on the Asia Pacific employment aspects of its global integration.
Myanmar > Foreign desks Tier 2Based between Thailand and Singapore, DLA Piper’s practice is known for handling large-scale and often complex energy and infrastructure projects and financing work for an international client base. The group is led by Singapore-based Vincent Seah, who is active in power projects in Myanmar and is supported by Samata Masagee in Bangkok, who handles cross-border corporate mandates and acquisition work. Renewable energy continues to be a sector strength for the team.
Indonesia > Foreign firms Tier 3DLA Piper has a broad client offering and handles banking and finance, capital markets, corporate/M&A, disputes, and projects mandates. Managing partner Joe Bauerschmidt has played an active role in the expansion of the firm’s corporate and capital markets practice, particularly in the technology, financial, energy and real estate sectors. Timothy Tan is a key individual to note in the banking and finance practice, and the capital markets offering is led by English and New York qualified lawyer Philip Lee. Maurice Burke joined from Hogan Lovells Lee & Lee in 2021 and heads the investigations practice for Asia.
‘In my experience working with DLA Piper team in several global bond issuances, I noticed that the team is very helpful for both the issuer and the banks. They’re not hesitant to share insights on how some deals are typically executed from legal perspective, based on their experience doing similar deals in the past. This is essential information to equip us for negotiations with working parties and investors in global bond issuances. ’
‘The individuals are helpful and responsive. The communication was done very well with them. I remember they even are willing to take the time to do a session with debut issuers and banks, to educate such issuers on the documentation that are needed for global bond issuances. Shout out to Philip Lee and his team for demonstrating a high degree of professionalism.’
PT MNC Investama group and PT Asia Vision Network
Digital Edge Asia
China Energy Investment Corp
Mandiri Securities Pte Ltd
PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (Persero)
- Advising PT Asia Vision Network on a $573m merger with Malacca Straits, a Nasdaq-listed SPAC.
- Advising Barito Pacific and Indonesia Power as sponsors on all aspects of the development and financing of the $3.3bn 2x1000MV Jawa 9 & 10 coal-fired power station in Indonesia, involving Euler Hermes, KEXIM and K-Sure.
- Representing the Asian branch of a global reinsurer in a contractual dispute with an Australian third-party marketing company.
Other key lawyers:
‘Partners and associates are capable of providing legal advice in a timely manner and swift response to having a call or meeting for discussion.’
True Corporation Public Company Limited
5G Catalyst Technologies Co., Ltd.
LINE Company (Thailand) Limited
Samsung SDS Co., Ltd.
- Assisting True Corporation with the regulatory review on the offering of telehealth service – True HEALTH.
- Advising 5G Catalyst Technologies Co., Ltd. on the development of smart city projects in Thailand.
- Advising Mavenir Inc. on establishing operation in Thailand, as well as the importation of the 5G equipment.
‘The team always turns around quality work at speed, as well as giving us strategic advice.’
‘We have been working with DLA’s partner David Kuo for many years on our private equity investments. We truly appreciate David’s dedication to work, the speedy response and his strong commercial sense.’
China Construction Bank (Asia) Corporation Limited
VMD Kórházi Technológiai Zrt.
VinFast Trading & Production Limited
VinGroup Joint Stock Company
- Advising China Construction Bank on the financing of a 650MW power project in An Kanh province, Vietnam.
- Advising VMD Kórházi Technológiai Zrt. on the investment and construction of Can Tho City Oncology Hospital with 500-bed capacity in Vietnam.
- Advising the HOYER Group on the acquisition of Kerry-ITS Holdings Pte. Ltd. and its subsidiaries in Singapore, China, Vietnam and Thailand.
‘A truly global team pulling expertise from China, Hong Kong and the US. Perfect in dealing with cross-jurisdictional regulatory matters.’
‘Sammy Fang is a very client-friendly partner, technically strong, with excellent insights and strategic mind.’
Fircroft Engineering Services Limited
Global Power Synergy Public Company Limited
Thai Oil Public Company Limited
Frasers Property (Thailand) Public Company Limited
Golden Land Property Development Public Company Limited
Real Asset Development Co., Ltd.
Populous Pte. Ltd.
JWD InfoLogistics Public Company Limited
Raimon Land Public Company Limited
Zain Holdings Limited
- Advising Global Power Synergy Public Co on the acquisition of a newly issued equity interest in Anhui Axxiva New Energy Technology Co., Ltd., a company operating a battery manufacturing business in the PRC.
- Advised Frasers Property (Thailand) Public Company Limited on the acquisition of a 100% equity stake in a project company owning the lease right over a prime Bangkok CBD area to be developed into a mixed-use property.
- Acting for SCB10X, a venture capital arm of the Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited, on the Series E fundraising of the first ever Thailand-based unicorn startup who provides e-commerce logistics services, Flash Group.
DLA Piper > Firm Profile
Global co-chairs: Frank W. Ryan and Andrew Darwin
Co-chief executive officers: Simon Levine and Frank W. Ryan
Languages: The firm speaks over 60 languages
Offices: Lawyers located in more than 60 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
Please see https://www.dlapiper.com for further information about the firm.
DLA Piper has a leading pro bono practice, providing over 200,000 hours’ worth of legal support annually to charities, NGOs, governments in least developed countries and vulnerable individuals around the world. We are one of the largest providers of pro bono legal services globally. Our thriving practice provides support for aforementioned organisations on a wide range of areas that are critical to their missions. This includes research, legal advice and strategic counsel. The global team works collaboratively to ensure a global impact on our key strategic focus areas including: forcible displacement, statelessness, gender-based violence, climate justice, and good governance.
In the Asia Pacific region, we deliver cutting edge pro bono programs. This includes our Know Your Rights Program, focused on fostering legal empowerment for migrants and refugees, and delivering practical legal skills programs to students in developing Pacific Island Nations. We also advise on gender based violence through our partnership with the RainLily Clinic (Hong Kong) and the Refugee Legal Family Violence Clinic (Australia).
Our Pro Bono program is led by a dedicated team of pro bono lawyers who sit within the international Responsible Business Team. As a team we are committed to looking for opportunities to use our strength as a leading global law firm to make a positive contribution to the world around us. We are focused on being a truly sustainable business, makes a positive social and environmental impact. This commitment exists at every level within the firm and is part of our culture.
Our Responsible Business team works internationally on a vast array of ESG topics, aligning to the firm’s ESG strategic priorities. This includes advising on key environmental and conservation matters, working on projects relating to illegal wildlife trafficking, climate and conservation. We also work to promote and invest in projects that advance sustainable development and the rule of law in developing nations.
DLA Piper’s pro bono work forms part of the firm’s wider Sustainability & ESG Strategy, focused on understanding, measuring and managing the firm’s impact in four key areas – our people, clients and suppliers, environment, and society. These focus areas are identified through a formal materiality assessment. We also report on our progress annually via our Sustainability Report. Our ambitions and actions align with globally accepted standards and frameworks (e.g. the UN Global Compact, Business Ambition for 1.5, Science Based Targets initiative, Mindful Business Charter, and others).
We are firmly committed to diversity and inclusion. For us, diversity isn’t just about visible differences, it’s the unique blend of talents, skills, experiences and perspectives that makes each of us an individual and we know it’s crucial to have a culture and environment where those differences are genuinely valued. In 2021, we launched our global diversity and inclusions goals, including ensuring that at least 30% of our partnership is made up of women by 2025 (and 40% by 2030). Our employee networks play a crucial part in helping us learn, reflect and share our experiences in diversity and inclusion.
United Kingdom: Technology
Published: August 2021
Authors: Kit Burden
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Technology laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.
Colombia: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Juan Manuel de la Rosa Felipe Quintero
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Colombia.
Tanzania: Mergers & Acquisitions
Published: April 2022
Authors: Burure Ngocho
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Mergers & Acquisitions laws and regulations that may occur in Tanzania.
The Netherlands: Tax
Published: September 2021
Authors: Jian-Cheng Ku Rhys Bane
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Tax laws and regulations that may occur in The Netherlands.
United Kingdom: Renewable Energy
Published: May 2022
Authors: Natasha Luther-Jones
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Renewable Energy laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.
Denmark: Restructuring & Insolvency
Published: May 2022
Authors: Henrik Sjørslev Per Astrup Madsen Peter Hedegaard Knudsen Henrik Lund-Koefoed
This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Restructuring & Insolvency laws and regulations that may occur in Denmark.
- Capital markets: equity and debt: foreign firms
- Corporate and M&A: foreign firms
- Projects: foreign firms