Douglas Blyth > Dentons > Glasgow, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
1 GEORGE SQUARE
- Go to...
Commercial Dispute Resolution.
Douglas is a Partner in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice in the Glasgow office. He is a Solicitor Advocate (with extended rights of audience) and has extensive experience of all manner of commercial disputes before courts and tribunals of all levels in Scotland.
Douglas has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Corporate and Contractual Disputes – in particular warranty and covenant claims, frauds, shareholder and partner disputes and title issues. Recent highlights include:
- AMA (New Town) Limited v. Law 2013 SC 608 (confirming that a vendor in a property sale is entitled to insist upon payment from a purchaser who fails to purchase timeously, in breach of missives).
- Public Law and Judicial Review – in particular public procurement challenges. Recent highlights include:
- Healthcare at Home Limited v. CSA 2014 SC (UKSC) 247 (understood to be the first case under the Public Contracts (Scotland) Act 2006 to be considered by the UK Supreme Court).
- BT plc v. CSA (a challenge of the procurement process relative to the SWAN IT infrastructure for public services in Scotland).
- HFD Construction Limited v. Aberdeen City Council  CSOH 125 (a judicial review of a decision by Aberdeen City Council relative to the manner of disposal of its former headquarter site).
- Insolvency – with experience in all contentious aspects of both corporate and personal insolvencies. Recent highlights include:
- Joint Administrators of Heritable Bank plc v. Winding Up Board of Landsbanki Islands HF 2013 SC (UKSC) 201 (a Supreme Court appeal relative to the impact of a foreign determination of a claim in an insolvency upon the ability to claim set-off).
- Contentious Trusts & Executries – having advised on a wide variety of disputes concerning wills and trusts, including:
- challenges in respect of the capacity of the deceased
- applications to reduce transactions made in breach of trust
- applications to establish the formal validity of testamentary writings
- negligence claims
- advice in connection with executor and trustee duties
- Debt Recovery – considerable experience of pursuing the recovery of bulk debts, both in the UK and further afield.
Douglas also has an avid interest in Sports Law and has most recently defended a substantial claim by a former coach of one of the oldest rugby clubs in Scotland. He is a SFA certified football referee.
Douglas is also a former vice convenor of the Strathclyde University Ethics Committee and a former member of the lay advisory board to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Glasgow.
Trained Maclay Murray & Spens LLP; qualified 2001; partner 2012. Maclay Murray & Spens LLP 1999-2010 (trainee, assistant, associate); HBJ Gateley 2010-11 (partner); Maclay Murray & Spens LLP 2012 to date (partner).
Law Society of Scotland
George Watson’s College; Dundee University (LLB (Hons); Dip LP).
Golf (Ranfurly Castle Golf Club); football (SFA certified referee).
Dentons‘ restructuring team generates significant mandates on the ground in Scotland, under the leadership of Douglas Blyth and Derek McCombe. Its varied workload covers restructurings, insolvencies and advice to directors and purchasers of distressed companies. Blyth is recommended for his contentious insolvency expertise. McCombe is sought out by banks and insolvency practitioners.
With Glasgow-based solicitor advocate Douglas Blyth, who handles a wide range of corporate and contractual disputes, and Aberdeen-based Malcolm Gunnyeon, who has a specialism in the oil and gas sector, jointly heading the practice, Dentons is well placed to act for clients across Scotland. It is equally well versed to handle cross-border disputes, acting for clients spanning various sectors. Recently, the team has been particularly active handling business disputes alongside public law, insolvency, tax, real estate and construction-related litigation.
- Insolvency and corporate recovery - Scotland > Finance
- Commercial litigation - Scotland > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Environment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Finance > Investment funds
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Insurance > Professional negligence