Juan Pablo Godoy > Goh > Bogota, Colombia > Lawyer Profile
CARRERA #14 94-44 TORRE B PISO 6
- Go to...
Juan Pablo Godoy
- Tax Law
- Customs and Foreign Trade Law
- Energy and Natural Resources
Juan Pablo is Managing Partner of the Firm. Head partner of the foreign trade law and mining and oil law practices. Practice partner of the tax law practice.
He stands out for his ample experience in the extractive industry, both in the upstream and downstream segments, including transportation and marketing of basic products, fuel derivatives and lubricants.
- His experience as in-house lawyer of several companies enabled him to develop a keen sensibility for the repercussions of legal matters in business and corporate dynamics.
- Has provided legal advice to a large portion of professional production associations in the country. This includes the so-called National Professional Association Council (Consejo Gremial Nacional), which includes the most relevant associations.
- His vast experience is recognized and appreciated by government authorities. Hence he was invited to be a member of the Transition Commission of the Fiscal Sector of the current government, and of the Drafting Committee of the 2018 tax reform.
- Recently, he was called by the national government as national administrative honor advisor to the International Experts Commission that was retained to evaluate the existing tax benefits of the Colombian tax system.
- Clients recognize and appreciate him for his ample experience and understanding of the world of business, as well as for his great practical approach to things.
- At the beginning of his career he spent over 8 years in one of the big audit firms, and after that worked as Financial Vice President of a hydrocarbons transport company. These experiences made him very knowledgeable in accounting and financial matters, and gave him practical experience in those matters, which has turned out to be an extremely useful tool for the provision of tax advice and the planning of business operations.
- As a person with the ability to influence opinion, and for his communication skills, he is often invited to participate at presentations and national and international meetings on tax matters, the design of public policy, trends of the oil and mining industries, NGOs and governmental programs.
- Colombian Institute of Tax Law
- Latin American Institute of Tax Law
- International Fiscal Association — IFA
- International Bar Association — IBA
- Bar of Oil and Mining Law Specialist Lawyers
- Appointed as Arbitrator in the list of the Superintendence of Companies
Lawyer from Universidad Javeriana with Emphasis on Social Economic Science, 1988. Diploma in “Comparative Tax Policy and Administration” of the Harvard Kennedy School, 2018
Clients of Goh assert that the firm stands out for ‘the commitment and dedication of its partners’. The group provides broad coverage of the mining and hydrocarbons industries, with notable strength in the regulatory, contractual, environmental and tax fields. Department head Juan Pablo Godoy has extensive experience in both the upstream and downstream oil and gas spheres; he also brings to bear specialist tax, foreign investment and arbitration expertise. Dispute resolution head Juan Sebastián Lombana and corporate-focused director associate Álvaro Sabbagh also advise on energy and natural resources matters.
According to satisfied clients, Goh possesses ‘up-to-date knowledge on the most relevant international trade, customs and foreign investment matters‘. The wider firm’s strength in tax matters is reflected in the group’s robust customs tax expertise, and lawyers also bring experience in free trade agreements, foreign exchange matters, special import and export schemes and free trade zones. Founding partner Juan Pablo Godoy oversees the practice and is noted for his combination of tax, trade and natural resources expertise. Associate practice director Andrea Caicedo specialises in the planning and structuring of customs, foreign trade and foreign exchange transactions.
Tax is a firm-wide sweet spot for Goh and it impresses clients with its ‘combination of professional excellence and business understanding‘. Well weighted between private and public sector work, the full-spectrum practice handles tax planning, transaction structuring and contentious matters for an increasingly lengthy roster of leading companies. Catalina Hoyos is sought after for her combination of transactional tax and tax litigation expertise; she recently advised Interconexión Eléctrica on the tax aspects of its $331m bond offering on the Singapore Stock Exchange. Managing partner Juan Pablo Godoy is recommended for his specialist focus on the extractive and infrastructure industries. The group also includes tax partner Mónica Inés Hernández and associate directors Luís Felipe Noreña and Catalina Amaris.
- Leading individuals - Colombia > Tax
- Tax - Colombia
- International trade and customs - Colombia
- Energy and natural resources - Colombia