Mr Christopher Gladbach > McDermott Will & Emery LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
McDermott Will & Emery LLP Offices
THE MCDERMOTT BUILDING, 500 NORTH CAPITOL STREET, NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20001-1531
- Go to...
Mr Christopher Gladbach
Project Finance Law
Partner Christopher Gladbach counsels clients in energy M&A, project development, tax equity and project finance transactions.
Chris works with energy clients in structuring complex equity and debt investments, advises both buyers and sellers in the power sector in mergers and acquisitions, and joint ventures, and on the development of large-scale energy projects. He assists his clients in mitigating and allocating risk associated with these transactions in conjunction with achieving their primary business and financial objectives.
Chris has extensive experience advising clients pursuing opportunities involving the development and financing of United States Department of Defense (DoD) energy projects. He counsels developers, purchasers, lenders and tax equity investors in government contracts and structuring project development and financing arrangements to account for unique risks.
In addition, Chris represents market-leading private equity funds and institutional investors in power asset transactions, and understands the unique challenges and opportunities that these clients face.
Please visit our website for further details:
American Council of Renewable Energy (ACORE): Leadership counsel member; Lead author of ACORE’s comments to the US Army EITF’s model PPA
Leveraging the firm’s overarching project finance and regulatory strengths, McDermott Will & Emery LLP is increasingly active in the market and now has the critical mass and breadth of expertise to be able to resource a significant range and volume of work for investors, developers, public utilities and lenders on the development and financing of wind, solar and battery storage projects. The group was recently bolstered by a spate of notable hires, including that of Washington DC-based partner Christopher Gladbach from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP in March 2020. Los Angeles-based partner Edward Zaelke was himself somewhat of a catalyst to the firm’s increased market visibility, and since his arrival in March 2019 from Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has spearheaded many of the most significant debt and tax equity renewable financing transactions on both the creditor and debtor side, including a considerable volume of private equity-related M&A and financing work. Washington DC-based partner Carl Fleming is also recommended and as well as as providing ‘highly commercial and pragmatic’ advice to stakeholders on M&A and financing transactions, is also well placed to advise on shifting market trends and government policy decisions in the sector by virtue of his previous role as a White House advisor. Miami-based partner Philip Tingle co-heads the firm’s energy and project finance practice alongside Zaelke and is noted for his solar and wind-related tax structuring expertise.
Leveraging the firm’s project finance, tax and regulatory capabilities and also strengthened by the arrival of number of core energy transactional lawyers in recent years, including that of Christopher Gladbach from Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP in March 2020, McDermott Will & Emery LLP is increasingly well-placed to advise funds, developers and utilities across a full scope of their power-related mandates. While M&A and financing work, throughout the project life cycle, is a driver for a good deal of the firm’s renewable and conventional power work, it is also well-versed at advising on power production agreements and power trading matters, an area in which Washington DC-based partner Robert Lamkin has a particular strength. Edward Zaelke and Philip Tingle co-head the firm’s global energy project finance team from Los Angeles and Miami, respectively.
- Energy: renewable/alternative power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy transactions: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Healthcare: health insurers
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Tax > Financial products
- Tax > International tax
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: toxic tort
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to insurers
- Industry focus > Insurance: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > International trade
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: conventional power
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (International Trade Commission)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense