John Rife > Debevoise & Plimpton LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP Offices
65 GRESHAM STREET
- Go to...
John Rife is an English-qualified partner in the Corporate Department and a member of the firm’s Funds/Investment Management Group, where he advises institutional and independent sponsors of buyout, debt, secondaries, real estate, emerging markets, infrastructure and energy funds, as well as funds of funds, on a broad range of matters, including fund formation and ongoing operational matters, co-investments, carried interest arrangements and internal reorganizations.
In addition, Mr. Rife is a leader in the firm’s Alternative Asset and Secondary Investments Group and regularly advises sponsors and investors on secondary transactions including GP-led fund restructurings and tender offers, LP interest portfolio transactions, fundless sponsor transactions and other fund-related transactional matters.
Mr. Rife graduated in 2004 with a B.Soc.Sc. (Hons) from the University of Manchester. He obtained his GDL in 2006 from City University and his LPC from the Inns of Court School of Law in 2007. Mr. Rife was admitted as a solicitor of the Senior Courts of England & Wales in 2009.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP advises a diverse range of clients across all major investment strategies, handling fund formation, alternative capital raisings, secondaries, and regulatory matters for buyout, debt, sector-specific, and infrastructure funds. Clients include start-up managers, financial services investors, including insurance funds, and global asset management firms. The team enjoys strong relationships with its US colleagues, and also works on a pan-European basis. US-qualified Geoffrey Kittredge leads the London practice, and is a strong adviser across the private equity space, working for a number of top asset management clients. John Rife continues to work prolifically across fundraising and operational matters, and has a strong focus on alternative asset transactions, including GP-led secondaries. Matthew Dickman was promoted to partner in mid-2021, and is noted for his work with venture capital and tech investment funds. Counsel John Anderson rejoined the firm from an in-house position in 2020, and specialises in Luxembourg and non-EU fund structures and regulatory issues.
- Next Generation Partners - London > Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Private funds - London > Investment fund formation and management
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Fund finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Dispute resolution > Public international law
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory