Matthew Dickman > Debevoise & Plimpton LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP Offices
65 GRESHAM STREET
- Go to...
Funds and Investment Management
Matt Dickman, a London-based partner and member of the firm’s Funds/Investment Management Group, advises on the formation, management and reorganisation of private investment funds. Mr. Dickman is also a leader in the firm’s Alternative Assets Transactions and Liquidity Solutions Group, where he regularly advises fund sponsors and investors on GP staking transactions, including internal reorganisations and internal economic and governance arrangements, as well as seed investments in emerging fund sponsors and secondary transactions.
Mr. Dickman represents a broad range of international private equity and other private investment funds and their sponsors, including recent experience advising technology and venture capital funds.
Mr. Dickman first joined Debevoise as an associate in 2012. He later became a partner at an international law firm in its San Francisco office before returning to Debevoise in London in 2018. This international experience gives Mr. Dickman a broad perspective on the funds markets in both the U.S. and Europe.
Mr. Dickman received his B.A. in 2000 from Dartmouth College, his M.B.A. in 2007 from Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University, and his J.D. in 2007 from Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law. He is admitted to the Bar in New York and California. He was previously a financial analyst in the mergers & acquisitions group of JP Morgan.
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Debevoise & Plimpton LLP advises a diverse range of clients across all major investment strategies, handling fund formation, alternative capital raisings, secondaries, and regulatory matters for buyout, debt, sector-specific, and infrastructure funds. Clients include start-up managers, financial services investors, including insurance funds, and global asset management firms. The team enjoys strong relationships with its US colleagues, and also works on a pan-European basis. US-qualified Geoffrey Kittredge leads the London practice, and is a strong adviser across the private equity space, working for a number of top asset management clients. John Rife continues to work prolifically across fundraising and operational matters, and has a strong focus on alternative asset transactions, including GP-led secondaries. Matthew Dickman was promoted to partner in mid-2021, and is noted for his work with venture capital and tech investment funds. Counsel John Anderson rejoined the firm from an in-house position in 2020, and specialises in Luxembourg and non-EU fund structures and regulatory issues.
- Next Generation Partners - London > Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Private funds - London > Investment fund formation and management
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Fund finance
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Dispute resolution > Public international law
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Real estate > Construction: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory