Brown Rudnick LLP > Hartford, United States > Firm Profile
Brown Rudnick LLP Offices
185 ASYLUM STREET
HARTFORD, CT 06103
Brown Rudnick LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsBrown Rudnick LLP’s bankruptcy and corporate restructuring practice advises a wide range of clients, including debtors, ad hoc committees, equity security holders, and unsecured creditors, in relation to corporate restructurings, commercial bankruptcy litigation, and mass tort bankruptcy litigation. The practice boasts an especially strong reputation for representing official committees in Chapter 11 cases and has recently represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in relation to the Chapter 11 reorganization of multinational cosmetics and personal care conglomerate, Revlon. Robert Stark, in New York, chairs the department, while Catherine Castaldi, in Orange County, is practice group leader. Stark has extensive experience advising official committees in litigated bankruptcies, and, alongside New York-based chair of cross-border, mass tort, and restructuring litigation David Molton, recently led a team that successfully represented the official committee of talc claimants in connection with the high-profile bankruptcy of Johnson & Johnson subsidiary LTL Management LLC.
Robert Stark; Catherine Castaldi
Other key lawyers:
David Molton; Eric Goodman; Jeffrey Jonas; Sunni Beville
‘Brown Rudnick fields a highly experienced bankruptcy and restructuring team that has worked on a wide variety of cases across industries. The team is particularly strong in matters involving contested valuation because of their highly sophisticated understanding of complex valuation issues. They provide great value to their clients as a result.’
‘An awesome team with great attorneys offering legal and strategic intellect. They are commercial, team-orientated, and totally reliable. My go-to US attorneys in this area (and others).’
‘David Molton is quite simply superb: head and shoulders, one of the best US attorneys I have worked with over the last 30 years in practice. He possesses a fabulous legal and strategic intellect.’
‘The lawyers at Brown Rudnick are responsive, practical and nimble.’
‘Very strong team, with a litigation first bent. They bring an intimidation into deals, often forcing counterparties into a settlement posture.’
‘Robert Stark and Jeff Jonas are the standouts. Stark is never short on words, either before adversaries, committee members or judges. He does not back away from a fight, and litigates toward a deal as well as anyone in the country. Jonas is a master in court, taking a good ol’ boy Boston-like approach and winning over judges and adversaries. He is a master trial lawyer, who happens to be a bankruptcy expert.’
‘Client service and communication are excellent.’
Revlon, Inc.: Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
LTL Management LLC (Johnson & Johnson): Official Committee of Talc Claimants
Washington Prime Group, Inc.: Official Committee of Equity Security Holders
Aearo Technologies (3M): Official Committee of Tort Claimants
Ruby Pipeline: Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
Endo International: MDL Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee
Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals: MDL Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee
Purdue Pharma: MDL Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee
Basic Energy Services: Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors
Rockdale Marcellus: Reserve-Based Lenders
Cred Inc.: Examiner and Counsel to the Examiner
Boy Scouts of America: Coalition of Abused Scouts for Justice
Alpha LATAM: Ad Hoc Bondholders Committee
Ceruzzi Properties: Ad Hoc Creditors Committee
PG&E Fire Victim Trust: Trustee
Imerys Talc America: Ad Hoc Committee of Tort Claimants
Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico: Special Claims Committee
- Representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Revlon, one of the world’s leading cosmetics and beauty-products companies.
- Representing the Official Committee of Tort Claimants in the Chapter 11 case of LTL Management.
- Representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Ruby Pipeline, the owner of a major 700 mile natural gas pipeline from Wyoming to Oregon.
Dylan Kletter; Mark Baldwin
‘Comprehensive expertise across multiple areas to provide the best “team” approach — in my case, it was involved litigation, tax, and corporate business issues, and was particularly important to have attorneys that could support the lead litigator when necessary. The level of service, accessibility, and pragmatism was also evident throughout a lengthy engagement.’
‘Tough-minded, fought tireless on my behalf, clearly smart on all issues and strategy, and most important at times was especially pragmatic on what to fight for and how given the cost/benefit of the litigation itself. Complete trust in all respects.’
Dylan Kletter; Mark Baldwin
SPay, Inc, d/b/a/ Stack Sports
British Motor Works, LLC
Association Member Benefit Advisors
- Representing Spay, Inc. in connection with its claims for fraud and breach of contract arising out of its acquisition of substantially all the assets of Stack Media, Inc.
- Representing Prospect Medical Group Holdings in connection with its claims for breach of contract regarding a multimillion reimbursement arising out of its acquisition of substantially all the assets of the Eastern Connecticut Health Network.
- Represented Association Member Benefit Advisors in connection with an indemnity claim regarding a customer dispute and the underlying dispute itself, which resulted in federal court litigation and the amicable continuation of the customer relationship.
Prominent New York-based intellectual property practitioner and head of the firm’s IP litigation group Ian DiBernardo leads Brown Rudnick LLP‘s trade secrets team, which has strong capabilities handling strategic matters for its clients who span such industries as tech, biotech, software and finance, with a view to protecting and maintaining their trade secrets. In addition, the team investigates and litigates in high-value contentious situations. Jason Sobel, also based in the New York office, is a key name to note, frequently acting in collaboration with DiBernado on the team’s most notable work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Relatable and reliable.‘
UKG, Inc. (fka Ultimate Software Group, Inc.)
Mitsubishi Chemical Company, Inc.
Nomura Holding America, Inc., and Nomura Securities International Inc.
Secada Medical LLC (d/b/a Ventris Medical)
En Pointe Technologies Sales, LLC
- Acted for UKG in trade secret and corporate raiding litigation brought by ADP, and a trade secret litigation and software license dispute brought by ADP-owned MasterTax.
- Representing Richards Manufacturing in the protection of its own technology via trade secret protection, and overseeing the creation of a robust patent portfolio.
- Represented Nomura Holding America, Inc. and Nomura Securities International Inc. in connection with negotiation of various licenses and other agreements relating to trading platforms, market/trading data, and related financial services.
Benjamin Chew; Camille Vasquez
Other key lawyers:
Peter Willsey; Wayne Dennison; Rebecca Lecaroz; Jessica Meyers; Sam Moniz; Stephanie Calnan
‘The Brown Rudnick team with which I worked was comprised of a group of attorneys who are some of the most intelligent and uniquely talented individuals I know. Each of the attorneys also exemplified stellar personal character which made them a truly formidable combined force.’
‘I took the stand confident that I was protected and that the person asking me questions understood me and my work. I felt genuinely respected, understood, and safe, and it drew out the best in me.’
‘This diverse and exceptionally capable group of attorneys go above and beyond for their clients.’
‘Ben Chew, Wayne Dennison, and Camille Vasquez are standouts, advocates that you’d always want on your team.’
Mark Cuban and Dallas Basketball Limited, d/b/a Dallas Mavericks
Johnny Depp, Jeff Beck and Deuce Music Ltd.
Samantha Tan Racing/STR38 Motorsports
MGM and Wynn Resorts
- Represented Johnny Depp, in his high-profile defamation trial against his ex-wife Amber Heard.
- Representing actress Q’orianka Kilcher who was charged in July 2022 with two felony counts of worker’s compensation fraud by the California Department of Insurance.
- Representing a Venezuelan businessman in a multi-million defamation lawsuit against Fox Corp., Fox News Network LLC, and former host Lou Dobbs.
Real estate Tier 5Brown Rudnick LLP has a strong track record working with creditors and borrowers, landlords and tenants, and sellers and purchasers, throughout the New England region as well as with national clients. Thomas Phillips in Boston chairs the leasing practice, and draws upon his expertise in retail, leisure, hospitality, and mixed-use properties. Hartford-based co-head Thomas Regan represents private equity funds, corporations, private developers, institutions, and not-for-profits in the development, leasing, and financing of commercial real estate projects and energy facilities.
Thomas Regan; Thomas Phillips
‘The real estate side of this firm is outstanding. It is headed by Tom Phillips who is brilliant in solving complex problems. He is also very good at assigning various cases to experts within the firm for particular matters. What is unique about this firm is the fact that they do have attorneys that specialize in the various components of Real Estate. Other firms usually only assign the client to one attorney and the client is at the mercy of that person to be alert and knowledgeable to the various nuances of each transaction whether it be leasing, financing or purchase/sales.’
‘The trustworthiness of each and every attorney has been comforting along with their specific knowledge in the area I am dealing in. Currently I am dealing with three different issues and have three different attorneys handle each matter all working un the the watch eye of Tom Phillips. I feel fully protected while using Brown Rudnick.’
Condyne Capital Partners, LLC
SSCP Asset Management d/b/a Snapbox Self Storage
McGovern Automotive Group
GCP Applied Technologies
Rhino Capital Advisors LLC
- Advising Primark’s on new store leases in the U.S., and to advise on all existing store leases.
- Advised Plymouth REIT in connection with its amended and restated credit agreement with respect to an increase of up to $500 million senior unsecured term and revolving loans.
- Representing Volta Charging in permitting work enabling them to install electric vehicle (EV) charging stations with electronic advertising capability on third parties’ commercial properties throughout New England.
‘Collaborative, communicative, and always up to date on the ever-changing tax law.’
‘I have always had an excellent experience with Barbara Kelly. She is focused, diligent, and always incredibly responsive.’
The Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors: Revlon, Inc.
Governmental Plaintiffs Ad Hoc Committee: Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals
Governmental Plaintiffs Ad Hoc Committee: Purdue Pharma
Official Committee of Talc Claimants: LTL Management LLC
Coalition of Abused Scouts for Justice: Boy Scouts of America
Justice John K. Trotter, trustee of the PG&E Fire Victim Trust, and his successor Cathy Yanni
Official Committee of Equity Security Holders: Washington Prime Group, Inc.
Ad Hoc Committee of Unsecured Noteholders: Alpha LATAM
Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors: Basic Energy Services
Eric D. Green, Special Master and Trustee of Restitution Funds
SSCP Asset Management d/b/a Snapbox Self Storage
NextPoint Acquisition Corp
Special Committee of the Board of Directors (Electric Last Mile Solutions)
- Advising committees on a range of tax issues in Chapter 11 cases, including Revlon, LTL Management LLC (Johnson & Johnson), and Mallinckrodt and Purdue Pharmaceutical.
- Advised ProFrac on its $93m stock-for-stock acquisition of U.S. Well Services, including the implications of its up-C structure and debt considerations.
- Advised BioGaia on the $30m acquisition of its St Louis-based distributor.
Brown Rudnick LLP > Firm Profile
Brown Rudnick is an international law firm that serves clients around the world from offices in key financial centers across the United States and the United Kingdom. We combine ingenuity with experience to achieve great outcomes for our clients in high-stakes litigation and complex business transactions. We deliver partner-driven service; we incentivize our lawyers to collaborate in the client’s best interest; and we put excellence before scale, focusing on industry-driven, client-facing practices where we are recognized leaders.
|CEO & Chairman||Vincent Guglielmottiemail@example.com||212.209.4880|
|Managing Director, Corporate & Capital Markets||Mark Dorfffirstname.lastname@example.org||44.20.7851.6005|
|Managing Director, Dispute Resolution & Restructuring||Steve Wassermanemail@example.com||212.209.4999|
|Chief Marketing Officer||Julia Bennettfirstname.lastname@example.org||202.536.1784|
|Mark Baldwin||Mark Baldwin practices primarily in the areas of complex commercial, corporate, and…||View Profile|
|Dylan Kletter||Dylan Kletter practices in the area of complex litigation. He represents entities…||View Profile|
|Thomas Regan||Thomas Regan is practice group leader of the Firm’s Real Estate and…||View Profile|
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation