Ms Metta MacMillan-Hughes > Lennox Paton > Nassau, Bahamas > Lawyer Profile
Lennox Paton Offices
3 BAYSIDE EXECUTIVE PARK
WEST BAY STREET & BLAKE ROAD, PO BOX N-4875
- Go to...
Ms Metta MacMillan-Hughes
- Private Client
- Litigation & Dispute Resolution
- Insolvency & Restructuring
- Banking & Financial Services
- Coroprate & Commercial
Metta’s is recognised as a leading commercial and civil litigator in the Bahamas. Held in high regard by the judiciary and her peers, her submissions in several cases have precipitated amendments to the law. She regularly appears before the Supreme Court and Court of Appeal and has also appeared before the Privy Council in the UK.
Although her experience and practice covers the full spectrum of civil and commercial litigation Metta is particularly well known in the Bahamas legal arena when it comes to insolvency, especially in relation to trust assets held by insolvent companies, in which her approach in the leading Bahamian case – Dominion Investments – was approved by the Court and incorporated in the Bahamian Insolvency legislation.
In addition to insolvency she has developed particular expertise in Proceeds of Crime Act and Mutual Legal Assistance proceedings; Insurance litigation involving high value catastrophic injury, death and property claims, professional negligence indemnity claims; Asset recovery and all forms of Interlocutory relief including injunctions (including Worldwide Freeze orders) disclosure orders (including Norwich Pharmacal orders; electronic discovery); as well as in many less well known areas such as issues involving the Computer Misuse Act and Listening Devices Act in the context of civil proceedings.
Recognised as a leading Family law specialist she is frequently instructed for high net worth international clients who have retired to The Bahamas or have assets here. She deals with divorces, financial provision claims, custody and access disputes and is frequently engaged to negotiate and prepare Pre and Post Nuptial Agreements.
- Admitted to practice at the Bar of England & Wales (1984)
- Admitted to practice at The Bahamas Bar (1986)
- Member of the English Bar
- Member of The Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn
- Member of the Bahamas Bar
- Fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers (IAFL)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Former long serving member of the Bahamas Bar Ethics Committee
- Member of the Family law Rules Committee
- Bachelow of Laws (LLB), Birmingham University, UK (1983)