Jill Fryer > Harper Macleod LLP > Inverness, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
Harper Macleod LLP Offices
CRADLEHALL BUSINESS PARK
- Go to...
Jill has extensive experience advising public and private sector clients in relation to public procurement; competition law including UK and EU merger control, state aid, anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance; other regulatory matters; and all types of commercial contracts.
In relation to public procurement, Jill regularly advises on strategic issues such as the choice and structure of procurement procedures; shared services; competition law; pricing methodologies; TUPE implications; supplier performance; and challenges to the procurement procedure and contract award decisions. Jill also assists with the conduct of procurement procedures (including competitive dialogue) and all procurement and subsequent contractual documentation. Jill also advises on post-award issues such as insolvency of contractors, permissible extension to contracts and changes to contract conditions.
In relation to state aid, Jill’s advice includes structuring projects to ensure compliance; assisting with responses to state aid complaints; providing advice on state aid compliance for the benefit of project funders; and advising on the interaction between state aid rules and public procurement.
Jill also advises both private sector and public sector clients in relation to all types of commercial contracts including contracts for services, agency, distribution, licence agreements, franchise agreements, terms and conditions of business, joint venture agreements, funding agreements and loan agreements.
Jill also advises on regulatory matters including statutory powers and duties, data protection and freedom of information, corporate governance and corporate constitutional matters.
LLB (Hons) Dip LP
Harper Macleod LLP is noted for its advice on IT and telecoms contracts, mainstream IT contracts, outsourcing agreements, website and app developments, and licensing and distribution agreements. It is also experienced in the public and third sectors, and acts for SMEs, start-ups and software developers. Tom Thomas heads up the team, which includes Jill Fryer, who was recently promoted to the partnership.
Harper Macleod LLP is regularly called upon to provide assistance with funding projects alongside public procurement, state aid and investment matters arising from various large projects. This is complemented with corporate and transactional capabilities. The practice also has a strong contentious arm, representing local authorities in various court actions, which regularly involve claims of professional negligence and breaches of contract. Co-head Jennifer Jack is well versed in defending judicial reviews and statutory appeals, while co-head James McMorrow is a key contact for corporate, commercial, regulatory and public procurement matters. Another key contact for public procurement as well as competition law is Jill Fryer, who made partner in April 2019. Collette Miller, who focuses on governance, regulatory and constitutional issues, was elevated to the partnership at the same time.
Harper Macleod LLP’s competition team focuses on handling public procurement and state aid matters for public and private sector clients. Other areas of expertise include merger control, anti-competitive agreements and abuse of dominance. James McMorrow leads the team. Jill Fryer was promoted to partner.
Harper Macleod LLP is noted for its experience of advising OMBs and family-owned businesses of all sizes, as well as the acquirers of such businesses. It is also adept at handling cross-border transactions, particularly outbound investment for Scottish companies and overseas exits. The firm generates mandates in the marine, rural, healthcare, automotive, manufacturing, and food and drink industries. Practice head Christopher Kerr is well regarded for his expertise in employee ownership matters. Jill Fryer was promoted to partner.
- Local government - Scotland > Public sector
- Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland - Scotland > Corporate and commercial
- EU and competition - Scotland > Corporate and commercial
- IT and telecoms - Scotland > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Social housing
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Dispute resolution > Debt recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- Insurance > Medical negligence: pursuer
- Public sector > Parliamentary and public affairs
- Insurance > Personal injury: defender
- Insurance > Personal injury: pursuer
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Private client > Charities and not-for-profit
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in Scotland
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: elsewhere in Scotland
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy (excluding oil and gas)
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and executries
- Real estate > Planning
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Projects
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Real estate > Construction
- Employment > Employment