Pat Treacy > Bristows LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Bristows LLP Offices
100 VICTORIA EMBANKMENT
- Go to...
Competition litigation, EU and Competition
Pat has specialised in EU law and competition law since the 1980s, handling landmark cases at EU and national level and helping clients from all over the world with their competition law needs.
Recognised as a leading adviser on the legal and policy issues that come up when competition law and intellectual property law meet, many of Pat’s clients are in technology rich sectors.
Pat works with clients on transactions and complex agreements (including settlement, R&D, licensing and joint venture agreements) in all sectors, with a focus on high tech and pharma/life sciences. Given the confidentiality concerns that are prevalent in innovative industries, Pat has substantial experience of advising on competition law in arbitrations, as well as before the competition authorities in Brussels and London and in Court proceedings at national and EU level.
Pat advises regularly on the competition law responsibilities of dominant companies – particularly where IP is concerned. She and her team help with competition compliance and “dawn raids”, supporting clients through such dawn raids and their aftermath.
Pat was appointed Deputy High Court Judge in September 2018, and will serve in the Chancery Division of the High Court of England and Wales for six years. This part time appointment enables Pat to continue as a Partner, leading the team and working with clients.
Pat is a member of the Competition Law Association; the UK Association of European Lawyers; and the Competition Section of the Law Society. She is on the editorial board of both the Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice and Competition Law Insight. Pat lectures and writes widely on topical issues. She also teaches the competition law module on the University of Oxford Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law and Practice course.
Admitted in Republic of Ireland (non-practising)
Advocaat bij de Balie te Brussel
Managing Partner 2004 -2011
Senior Partner 2018
The Competition Law Association; the UK Association of European Lawyers; the Competition Section of the Law Society.
Girton College, Cambridge (1983)
Sport, music, travel
Lauded by clients for its ‘experienced, thoughtful and brilliant‘ capabilities at the intersection of IP and competition litigation, Bristows LLP is particularly well regarded for its technology and life sciences acumen. The ‘fantastic‘ Sophie Lawrance draws superlative praise from various blue-chip clients, which turn to her for representation in consumer technology and pharmaceutical sector proceedings. ‘Exceptional‘ practice co-chair Stephen Smith is an experienced advocate who acts for companies in a range of settings, before a number of regulatory agencies, while senior associate Edwin Bond focuses chiefly on technology, pharmaceuticals, and consumer electronics cases. Pat Treacy is now a senior counsel and part-time deputy High Court judge.
Contentious work is a core strength for the broad technology sector practice at Bristows LLP, with experience in disputes ranging from major FRAND cases to competition issues to media and data protection compliance work, which the firm handles for an impressive base of high-profile household names and multinational corporates. On the non-contentious side, strengths include corporate M&A and venture capital matters, commercial IP work, and strategic and project advice for clients across the technology, media, and telecoms sectors. The offering is anchored by experienced partner Mark Watts, who has particular experience in commercial IP and data protection work. Toby Crick is a key contact for telecoms clients, where Myles Jelf is also recommended for his litigation expertise. Adrian Sim is highly recommended for financial services implementation projects, and Pat Treacy for her experience in EU competition law.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Risk advisory > Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: patents (contentious and non-contentious)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m
- Real estate > Commercial property: corporate occupiers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment (including media finance)
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > PATMA: Trade mark attorneys
- Industry focus > TMT
- Corporate and commercial > Commercial contracts
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Fintech
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Reputation management
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > Venture capital
- Employment > Employers