Sheelagh Cooley > Shoosmiths > Edinburgh, Scotland > Lawyer Profile
SALTIRE COURT, 20 CASTLE TERRACE
- Go to...
Sheelagh is a Partner in the Real Estate Division who specialises in Real Estate Finance, acting for many major financial institutions and lenders and also provides advice to borrowers on their funding requirements and associated documentation. Sheelagh also undertakes a range of real estate work such as acquisitions, disposals, and all aspects of leasing work.
Sheelagh is listed as an “Up and coming” lawyer in the 2021 Chambers Directory.
Having spent time on secondment to a City of London firm in 2006, Sheelagh has significant experience of acting on large portfolio and multi-jurisdictional finance work, gained both during her time on secondment and subsequently.
Sheelagh is also regularly involved with insolvency and restructuring, acting for a range of insolvency practitioners and banks in, for example, reviewing security packages, advising, on real estate strategy and disposals.
Her recent notable transactions include:
- acting for lender in relation to £12 million refinance of mixed use development site in Central Scotland;
- acting for borrower in relation to £28 million refinance in relation to a significant student accommodation development in central Edinburgh;
- acting for High street lender in £40m refinance of major national logistics company;
- acting for lender in £1.3 million asset finance deal involving materials being supplied for major infrastructure project in Scotland;
- acting for lender in £8m refinance of renewable energy company including multiple wind farm sites in Scotland
- acting for borrower in Scottish aspects of UK wide refinance of onshore wind portfolio
- acting for major lender in £3 million financing of open space land management company and;
- acting for residential development client in disposal of significant portfolio of their UK properties.
Sheelagh is dual qualified in Scotland and England and Wales and is a notary public.
At Shoosmiths, the debt recovery practice maintains its top-tier position in Scotland and is recognized for its broad offering across asset finance, corporate secured and unsecured lending, and invoice finance. Spearheaded by the ‘exceptional’ Andrew Foyle who handles debt recovery litigation and is active in regulated financial services matters, the group acts for major banks and debt purchases across the UK, as well as private clients. On the real estate finance side, Sheelagh Cooley is the main contact.
National firm Shoosmiths is active on both local and national transactions, demonstrating a particular tenacity for real estate and leveraged finance in addition to general corporate lending work. Fiona Cameron has handled a number of sustainable finance and LIBOR transaction matters of late; she serves as practice head alongside Sheelagh Cooley, a property finance expert who caters to borrowers and lenders alike.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Social housing
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Real estate > Commercial property: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Edinburgh and Glasgow
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Employment > Employment
- Real estate > Planning