Rahmat Lim & Partners > Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia > Firm Profile
Rahmat Lim & Partners Offices
SUITE 33.01, LEVEL 33, THE GARDENS NORTH TOWER
MID VALLEY CITY, LINGKARAN SYED PUTRA
59200 KUALA LUMPUR
Rahmat Lim & Partners > The Legal 500 RankingsRahmat Lim & Partners is renowned for its specialism in the banking and finance arena, with demonstrated expertise in cross-border lending, acquisition and leveraged financing, debt restructuring transactions, and complex syndicated deals. Regularly engaged by reputable local and international financial organisations, the practice, headed by Wan Kai Chee, is also well-versed in sustainability-linked loans, fintech projects, and Sukuk issuances. Managing partner Azman bin Othman Luk has a wealth of experience in debt capital markets and securities regulation, while Kelvin Loh leads numerous bond transactions and frequently advises on Islamic financing facilities. Geraldine Su is often instructed by major corporations and private equity firms in multi-jurisdiction finance transactions, and Syed Rashid bin Rahim Alsree advises on bilateral and syndicated loans, as well as Islamic financing mandates. Florence Yong is another key contact in the group.
Wan Kai Chee
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is professional and knowledgeable, offers a prompt and satisfying service, in addition to practical advice on commercial issues.’
‘Azman bin Othman Luk is very knowledgeable in both legal and regulatory aspects, quick-witted, sharp and yet very humble. He has never failed to impress us.’
‘The team is very responsive and commercial.’
‘Azman bin Othman Luk and Elaine Heung are intelligent and responsive.’
‘The banking and finance team, led by Azman bin Othman Luk is versatile, commercial and assertive. The team is quick to very agile and never fail to provide prompt and practical solutions.’
- Advised on an RM1.1bn term financing-i facility based on Shariah principles of Murabahah to YTL DC South Sdn Bhd.
- Advised on the financing of the acquisition of a controlling stake in Affin Hwang Asset Management.
- Advised on Shariah-compliant green financing facilities granted by HSBC Amanah Malaysia to Ikano Johor Jaya.
Malaysia > Capital markets Tier 1The financial services department at Rahmat Lim & Partners is spearheaded by Wan Kai Chee, who has a wealth of experience in handling cross-border and domestic transactions, private equity, and mergers. Standout work includes activity in the renewable energy debt capital markets space, demonstrated in the firm’s involvement in the issuance of Sukuk by the project owner of a photovoltaic plant. The team has know-how in equity capital markets, investment funds, and Islamic finance, frequently acting on IPOs, real estate investment trusts, bond and note issuances, and advising on compliance concerns. Kelvin Loh is experienced in convertible and exchangeable bonds, whilst Zandra Tan and Livia Hong are notable members of the group.
Wan Kai Chee
‘Tan Yan Yan is experienced and capable.’
‘High levels of expertise in capital markets and provided sound advice throughout the process. Meticulous in doing research and anticipated all the questions.’
‘I would like to commend Livia Hong for the outstanding performance on the transaction that we recently completed. She had demonstrated strong leadership skills in leading the discussion and providing alternative perspectives for consideration.’
‘The capital market team is very experienced.’
- Advised on an Islamic medium term notes programme of up to RM6bn in nominal value by Sarawak Petchem Sdn. Bhd. based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar.
- Advised on an Islamic medium term notes programme of up to RM3bn in nominal value by edotco Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar.
- Advised on Pavilion Real Estate Investment Trust’s proposed acquisition of Pavilion Bukit Jalil mall from Malton Bhd for RM2.2bn.
Malaysia > Corporate and M&A Tier 1Led by Moy Pui Yee, the team at Rahmat Lim & Partners advises its portfolio of domestic and international clients on a broad range of matters, including high-profile M&A transactions across Malaysia and Southeast Asia, in addition to joint venture agreements, reorganisations, privatisations, buyouts, reconstructions and investment. Chairman and senior partner Lim Teong Sit stands out for his expertise in M&A and capital markets transactions in Malaysia, and Chen Lee Won acts for on foreign investments into Malaysia. Team changes include the partner promotion of Eilene Teh and the departure of Yeo Tze Lin in January 2023, as well as the departure of Ho Wei Lih in July 2023, who established Wei Lih Ho & Co., in association with Deloitte Legal.
Moy Pui Yee
- Advised on the disposal of consumer banking business of Citibank Berhad in Malaysia to United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd.
- Advised AXA Asia and Affin Bank Berhad on their disposal of a 49.99% and 2.95% equity stake respectively in AXA Affin General Insurance Berhad and a 49% and 21% equity stake respectively in AXA Affin Life Insurance Berhad to Generali Asia NV.
- Advised Mitsui & Co., Ltd. and FP Corporation on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Lee Soon Seng Plastics Industries Sdn Bhd from SCGM Berhad for RM544.3m.
Kamilah Kasim; Chong Yee Leong; Dzuhairi bin Jaafar Thani
‘Extremely well-versed in the market and on commercial aspects of energy projects.’
‘Kamilah Kasim needs no introduction. She’s easy to work with, and gives added value through her experience and mastery of the commercial aspects of energy projects. She is in control throughout the legal process.’
‘Their availability and flexibility to attend to our matters was great.’
‘Kamilah Kasim’s vast knowledge, experience and quickness really help us a lot in dealing with our projects and disputes.’
‘Cooperative, skilled and knowledgeable, they focus on the clients’ needs and requests.’
‘Kamilah Kasim is a very knowledgeable person, quick, responsive, attentive to clients’ needs and provides sound advice.’
‘Kamilah Kasim is a problem solver.’
- Advising on the reviewing and drafting various agreements in relation to the design, construction and completion of a large-scale project, including the project management consultancy services agreement and civil main contractor agreement.
- Advising, reviewing and drafting the project documents for the client including the letter of award and the construction contract, package issuance letters and advising on issues arising out of the project documents within Malaysia and up to the border of Singapore.
- Advising on the second phase of the development and construction of a project, including advising on the tender process, drafting and negotiating the construction contract and administering the construction contract.
Lim Teong Sit; Dzuhairi bin Jaafar Thani; Chong Yee Leong; Kamilah Kasim; Lee Yee Ling
Other key lawyers:
Amelia Koo; Joycelyn Ang; Zandra Tan; Cheryl Lee
‘Knowledgeable, quick to respond, and provides solutions attentive to the client’s needs.’
‘Kamilah Kasim is very interactive with her clients. She possesses enormous experience in the industry.’
‘The real estate team has excellent knowledge of the real estate market and the relevant laws and regulations. They gave sound legal advice and provided practical solutions when faced with challenges. They were meticulous and checked every detail to make sure that our interests were protected.’
‘Kamilah Kasim’s vast knowledge, experience, and quickness helps us a lot in dealing with our projects and disputes.’
- Advising MRT Lingkaran Sdn Bhd and reviewing and drafting various agreements in relation to the design, construction and completion of the MRT 3 project including the project management consultancy services agreement and civil main contractor agreement.
- Advising Micron Memory Malaysia on the second phase of the development and construction of a centre of excellence for the assembly, testing, and manufacturing of solid-state drives and related facilities in Batu Kawan, Penang.
- Advised Pavilion Real Estate Investment Trust’s (Pavilion REIT) in connection with its proposed acquisition of Pavilion Bukit Jalil mall from a subsidiary of Malton Bhd for RM2.2bn.
Jack Yow; Chong Yee Leong
Other key lawyers:
Chong Boon Leong; Yap Yeow Han; Kwong Chiew Ee
‘The team’s cross-border capabilities and knowledge on how to capitalise on strategic partnerships is valuable.’
‘Chong Boon Leong is a very calm person and is very effective in conveying his points.’
‘The firm has a good reputation, a rich structure and international vision, and has rich experience in the field of dispute litigation. The team members are very professional and are able to respond efficiently to customers’ demands.’
‘The team is very reliable, responsive, and accommodating to tight timelines.’
‘Out of the box legal strategies and a dedicated team of lawyers.’
‘Jack Yow is very responsive and provides sound advice. He is also very experienced and knowledgeable.’
- Acted for CIMB Bank in defending a claim of damages for RM25bn for loss of opportunities.
- Acted for the majority creditors of the Sapura Energy group of companies in the winding up proceedings of Sapura Project Services.
- Acting for Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia in a suit commenced by Formis Network Services before the High Court, in respect of the termination of a contract.
- Acted for and defended Shopee Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd in a copyright infringement dispute relating to the liability of e-commerce platforms in relation to the online sale of pirated films.
- Acted for many of the luxury brands under the LVMH Asia Pacific Limited group in implementing an anti-counterfeiting programme. This involved initiating a highly orchestrated raid action against several covert high-value targets located at Malaysia’s counterfeit hotspot, Petaling Street.
- Involved in the re-registration of a South Korean convenience store chain franchise for the foreign franchisor pursuant to S54 and S6 of the Franchise Act 1998.
Malaysia > Islamic finance Tier 2Rahmat Lim & Partners has established itself as a leader in the banking and finance and capital markets spheres, allowing it to benefit from a steady pipeline of Islamic finance engagements. Led by Wan Kai Chee, who principally focuses on fintech and investment funds, the firm has demonstrable experience in Islamic finance contracts, including financing under the principles of Ijarah, Mudharabah, and Musharakah. Acting for major regional banks including the likes of Maybank Investment and RHB, the team also counts Sukuk issuances and medium-term notes programmes within its scope of work. Kelvin Loh, Azman bin Othman Luk, and Syed Rashid bin Rahim Alsree are key members of the department.
Wan Kai Chee
- Advised on an Islamic medium term notes programme of up to RM6bn in nominal value by Sarawak Petchem Sdn Bhd, based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar.
- Advised on an Islamic medium term notes programme of up to RM3bn in nominal value by edotco Malaysia Sdn Bhd, based on the Shariah principle of Wakalah Bi Al-Istithmar.
- Advised on the RM1.1bn term financing-i facility based on Shariah principles of Murabahah (via a Tawarruq arrangement) to YTL DC South Sdn. Bhd.
Other key lawyers:
Kwong Chiew Ee
‘They are very efficient and informative. They provide all the necessary and relevant information and have been very helpful.’
‘The team has been extremely pleasant and supportive, giving their best in dealing with our cases by providing both best and worst-case scenarios.’
‘The team is formed of experienced professionals, who are business-savvy yet compassionate.’
‘Jack Yow will have your back when needed, striking a balance between the technical and human elements of service provision.’
- Carried out a third restructuring and reorganisation exercise and retrenched several executive and managerial level employees in 2018.
- Assisted Tasek Concrete to interview potential witnesses whom the claimant had solicited bribes from and prepared the necessary papers in respect of the lodging of a report to Malaysia Anti-Corruption Commission.
- Acting for MHE-Demag in a forced resignation claim brought by its former employee.
Malaysia > Shipping Tier 2Praised as an ‘excellent lawyer’, maritime and aviation specialist Soh Yin Chuin, who advises on banking and asset finance transactions arising out of the maritime and offshore sectors, co-leads the team at Rahmat Lim & Partners, with support of firm’s managing partner Azman bin Othman Luk. The team is well-equipped to advise financial institutions on such matters as vessel building, reflagging, and financings. The ‘always accurate’ Florence Yong, who specialises in the banking and finance aspects of shipping, was promoted to partnership in January 2023 and is another key contact in the group.
Soh Yin Chuin; Azman bin Othman Luk
Other key lawyers:
‘A great team, delivering first-class advice.’
‘Soh Yin Chuin is an excellent lawyer.’
‘They are responsive and professional.’
‘Florence Yong gives us very good advice, and we feel it benefits us in transition of vessels cases, in particular.’
‘Good knowledge of the shipping industry and good contact with local authorities to arrange things smoothly.’
‘Florence Yong is always accurate and quick with her replies in order to ensure a smooth proceeding of the case at hand.’
Chen Lee Won
Other key lawyers:
Jack Yow; Penny Wong
‘Professional and friendly, the team provides sound advice and takes commercial considerations into account.’
‘Penny Wong stands out as a supportive partner of Rahmat Lim. She is fast to react and she communicates well.’
‘The team is capable of providing all aspects of legal solutions to its client.’
‘Penny Wong is highly recommended for her experience and knowledge in competition law.’
Azman bin Othman Luk; Wan Kai Chee; Moy Pui Yee; Pauline Khor
Other key lawyers:
Karen Foong; Penny Wong
- Advised LGMS Berhad in relation to its listing on the ACE Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad.
- Acted for and defended Shopee Mobile Malaysia Sdn Bhd in back-to-back civil lawsuits launched simultaneously by local production film companies.
- Acted for Joey Yap Research Group Sdn Bhd and Joey Yap Private Limited in initiating a lawsuit against third party online infringers.
|Ms Joycelyn Ang
|Joycelyn is a Partner in the Firm’s Corporate Real Estate Department.
|Mr Chong Boon Leong
|Boon Leong is a Partner in the Firm’s Projects & International Arbitration Department.
|Mr Chia Chee Hoong
|Chee Hoong is a Partner in the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Department.
|Kwong Chiew Ee
|Chiew Ee is a Partner in the Litigation department.
|Mr Allen Choong
|Allen is a Partner in the Firm’s Projects & International Arbitration Department.…
|Mr Dzuhairi Jaafar Thani
|Dzuhairi is a Partner in the Firm’s Energy, Infrastructure & Projects Department.
|Mr Wan Kai Chee
|Kai Chee is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Financial Services…
|Ms Kamilah Kasim
|Kamilah is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Energy, Infrastructure &…
|Ms Pauline Khor
|Pauline is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Intellectual Property &…
|Ms Amelia Koo
|Amelia is a Partner in the Firm’s Corporate Real Estate Department.
|Ms Daphne Koo
|Daphne is a Partner in the Firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution Department.
|Ms Chen Lee Won
|Lee Won is a Partner in the Firm’s Mergers and Acquisitions Department.
|Mr Kelvin Loh
|Kelvin is a Partner in the Financial Services Department.
|Mr Azman bin Othman Luk
|Azman is the Managing Partner of Rahmat Lim & Partners and Co-Head…
|Ms Moy Pui Yee
|Pui Yee is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Mergers &…
|Syed Rashid bin Rahim Alsree
|Rashid is a Partner in the Financial Services Department of Rahmat Lim…
|Lum Sher Vin
|Ms Ang Sinn E
|Sinn E is a Partner in the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Department.
|Ms Zandra Tan
|Zandra is a Partner in the Firm’s Financial Services Department.
|Mr Lim Teong Sit
|Teong Sit is the Chairman and Senior Partner of the Firm. He…
|Yeo Tze Lin
|Ms Ho Wei Lih
|Wei Lih is a Partner in the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Department.
|Ms Chan Weili
|Weili is a Partner in the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Department.
|Tan Yan Yan
|Yan Yan is a Partner in the Financial Services department.
|Mr Chong Yee Leong
|Yee Leong is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Projects &…
|Ms Lee Yee Ling
|Yee Ling is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Corporate Real…
|Mr Yap Yeow Han
|Yeow Han is a Partner in the Firm’s Projects & International Arbitration Department.
|Mr Soh Yin Chuin
|Yin Chuin is a Partner in the Firm’s Financial Services Department.
|Raymond Yong is a Partner in the Firm’s Regulatory & Compliance Department.
|Mr Jack Yow
|Jack is a Partner and Head of the Firm’s Litigation & Dispute Resolution…