Sandro Bibilashvili > BGI Legal > Tbilisi, Georgia > Lawyer Profile
BGI Legal Offices
18 RUSTAVELI AVENUE, II FLOOR
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Dual-qualified lawyer (Georgia and the State of New York), specializing in mergers & acquisitions, real estate & construction, energy and oil & gas, labour law, litigation, arbitration & mediation, securities, contracts, corporate and commercial law, environmental law.
- Advised IFIs in financing 434 MW cascade in the Western Georgia
- Represented a Luxembourg bank in a Georgian litigation involving assets of one of the largest industrial enterprises in Georgia
- Represented a large European infrastructure company in a procurement-related dispute with local authorities in Georgia
- Represented a major European oil & gas company in a shareholder dispute involving operating licensed blocks in the Eastern Georgia
- Advised major Chinese enterprise in respect of proposed M&A deal involving potential large HPP cascade in Georgia
- Advised a foreign government agency on developing a 280 MW hydro-power plant jointly with a state-owned investment fund of Georgia.
- Advised major Japanese investor in respect of the proposed acquisition of stake in a large hydro power project.
- Represented the largest bottler and distributor of soft drinks in Georgia in a successful refusal of recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitral award in Georgia.
- Advised major Georgian-American manufacturer of ferroalloys in relation to a dispute with environmental authorities
- Represented the large Chinese energy company in connection with the real estate privatization deal.
- Represented joint lead managers in connection with refinancing of 2012 Eurobonds by the national oil company of Georgia.
- Advised major Italian manufacturer in connection with the municipal procurement in Georgia.
- Advised the joint bookrunners in connection with the IPO and listing on LSE of one of the Georgia’s leading commercial banks.
- Represented number of IFIs in USD 250 million financing of one of the largest hydro-power plants in Georgia.
- Advised Georgian franchisee of the major US franchise in international arbitration against its supplier.
- Represented a large UK trade organization representing whisky industry in number of IP disputes.
- Represented one of the largest world’s brewing groups in litigation against its Georgian distributor.
- Advised a foreign reinsurer on a potential insurance litigation matter.
- Represented a major multinational manufacturer of medical, pharmaceutical and consumer packaged goods in litigation against its Georgian distributor.
- Represented a major foreign manufacturer of alcoholic beverages in IP litigation in Georgia.
- Advised British receivers regarding potential litigation against a Georgian bank.
- Represented joint global coordinators in London IPO of one of the largest commercial banks of Georgia.
- Advised one of the largest commercial banks in Georgia in respect of a multi-million lawsuit.
- Represented a large foreign investor in negotiating with the Government of Georgia a privatization deal and associated commercial real estate development project in downtown Tbilisi.
- Advised a major oil company on multi-million real estate project in Georgia.
- Advised a major international insurance group on restructuring its Georgian operations.
- Advised a large ship management group in privatization negotiations with the Government of Georgia.
- Represented a foreign based business in multi-million recognition and enforcement proceedings in Georgia.
- Advised major oil company on a large environmental project.
- Represented joint lead managers on issuance of USD 250 million bonds by Georgian national oil company.
- Advised large European banks on a USD 45 million loan facility agreement.
- Represented large Georgian bank in obtaining USD 33 term loan facility from the Dutch financial institution.
- Represented a large multi-national franchise in negotiations for securing OPIC loan facility.
- Represented a major oil company in numerous commercial disputes.
- Represented major American insurance company in an insurance dispute.
- Represented a large Central European investor in several real estate development projects.
- Represented a major international tobacco company in various ongoing legal matters, participated in legislative drafting in the Parliament on its behalf.
- Assisted various foreign embassies in Georgia in various land and real estate-related transactions.
- Represented a joint lead manager in IPO of a large Georgian company.
- Conducted a due diligence review of one of the largest state-owned companies of Georgia for privatization purposes.
- Acted as a counsel of a large US-Government funded project in Georgia.
- Conducted a due diligence exercise of the largest commercial bank of Georgia on behalf of a large Eastern European bank.
- Advised and represented several European and Middle East based investors in acquisition of real estate in Georgia and negotiations for development of such real estate.
- Contributed to the World Bank and International Financial Corporation study of Georgian legal environment.
- Conducted a large environmental research project for a major multinational oil company.
- Conducted a due diligence review of the largest mobile operator company of Georgia.
- Advised and represented a large foreign investor and negotiated with the Government officials in a deal to transfer mineral extraction licenses.
- Conducted a due diligence review of a Georgian company engaged in copper exploration and extraction activities, for the purposes of M&A.
- Undertook numerous due diligence studies of Georgian companies for the purposes of privatization, including privatization of the largest gold mining company.
- Advised a large German financial enterprise on the issues of acquisition of Poti Port.
- Advised a foreign investor and conducted a due diligence review of one of the largest railway factories in Georgia for the purposes of privatization.
Prior to becoming a partner of BGI Legal in 2014, Sandro held the positions of Legal Director (since 2011) and Senior Associate at the firm (since 2005). Professional experience of Mr. Bibilashvili includes spells at the Office of the then US Congressman Bernie Sanders (intern, 2001) and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia, Department of International Law (legal intern, 2000).
English, Russian, Georgia
Board member of Association of Law Firms of Georgia (since 2017)
Chair of Commercial Law Commission, ICC Georgia (since 2017)
NY Bar (since 2016)
Court mediator at Tbilisi City Court (since 2013)
CEDR accredited mediator (since 2012)
Edmund S. Muskie Fellow (2010)
Georgian Bar Association (since 2006)
- LL.M., Duke University School of Law, 2011 – Durham, NC, USA.
- LL.M. in International Business Law, 2004 – Central European University, Budapest, Hungary.
- Diploma in Law, 2003 (with honors) – Tbilisi State University, Tbilisi, Georgia.
Georgia > Commercial, corporate and M&A(Next Generation Partners)
The offering at BGI Legal includes an extensive range of services but the practice continues to be a key destination for multijurisdictional M&A matters. In recent trends, the team has seen a considerable amount of work within the renewable energy and oil and gas sectors. The department is led by Lasha Gogiberidze and Zaza Bibilashvili. Sandro Bibilashvili is noted for his transactional expertise. Tamara Tevdoradze and Unana Gogokhia are also highly regarded and internationally recognised lawyers.
Georgia > Real estate and construction (and projects)(Next Generation Partners)
The team at BGI Legal is led by Zaza Bibilashvili and Tamara Tevdoradze; it handles the full spectrum of real estate and construction matters including acquisitions, leasing, land registration and privatisations. The practice has also been involved in a number of energy and infrastructure projects, including work on oil and gas pipelines operated by British Petroleum (BP). Clients include major foreign investors and lending institutions, national companies, joint ventures, diplomatic missions and international organisations. Founding partner Lasha Gogiberidze and experienced real estate specialist Sandro Bibilashvili are also names to note.
Georgia > Dispute resolution(Leading individuals)
The team of ‘exceptionally knowledgeable‘ lawyers at BGI Legal are frequently sought out by large corporations active in a variety of sectors including construction and financial services to assist with local and international arbitration. The practice is led by Zaza Bibilashvili, Sandro Bibilashvili and Giorgi Sarajishvili. Notable recent mandates include a high-value divorce litigation in Georgia involving assets worth approximately $0.5bn. ‘Multitalented lawyer‘ Davit Kakoishvili leads on criminal law matters.
- Commercial, corporate and M&A - Georgia
- Dispute resolution - Georgia
- Leading individuals - Georgia > Dispute resolution
- Next Generation Partners - Georgia > Real estate and construction (and projects)
- Next Generation Partners - Georgia > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Real estate and construction (and projects) - Georgia
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Real estate and construction (and projects)