Mr Michael Gjedde-Nielsen > Viltoft > Copenhagen, Denmark > Lawyer Profile
1123 COPENHAGEN K
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Mr Michael Gjedde-Nielsen
Specialist areas: Construction, public procurement and dispute resolution.
Michael Gjedde-Nielsen advises public-sector companies, public authorities and private businesses on all aspects of construction law and procurement. He has been and is involved in several major building and construction projects in Denmark. Michael assists in the planning of calls for tenders and the drafting of the legal parts of tender documents, and he participates in the negotiation and conclusion of contracts in connection with building and construction projects and other procurement activities. In addition, Michael advises construction clients and construction companies on all legal issues relating to the construction stage.
Michael has conducted a range of major arbitration proceedings before the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, including the biggest case ever heard by this board. Michael also has extensive experience as a litigator before the High Court and the Supreme Court in cases relating to construction law and procurement law. Michael has been involved in some of the largest cases before the Complaints Board for Public Procurement.
In the international guide Chambers Europe, Michael is ranked at the very top under Real Estate: Construction, and in the guide for 2021, he is also recognised in the category “Senior Statespeople”.
Michael is the co-author (with Henrik Hauge Andersen et al.) of “ABR 18: General Conditions for Consulting Services”, Karnov Group, 1st edition, 2021.
Michael is also the co-author (with Hans Lykke Hansen) of “ABR 89: General Conditions for Consulting Services”, Karnov Group, 3rd edition, 2013
Michael has advised clients on:
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 10 billions)
- Calls for tenders, conclusion of contracts and construction of the City Ring line for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 22 billions)
- Calls for tenders and conclusion of contracts for ambulance services and patient transport for four of the five Danish regional authorities (contract value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the operation and maintenance of Stages 1-3 of the Copenhagen Metro for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Nordhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 2.2 billions)
- Calls for tenders for the Sydhavn Metro line project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 9 billions)
- Calls for tenders for technical consultancy regarding a new university hospital in Køge for Region Zealand (total project value: around DKK 4 billions)
- Calls for tenders for architectural finishes on the City Ring project for Metroselskabet (contract value: around DKK 0.5 billion)
- Preparation of the future Odense Light Rail for the City of Odense (contract value: around DKK 2.6 billions)
- Contract negotiations regarding the construction of a high-rise building in the Carlsberg City District (contract value: around DKK 1,5 billion)
Michael has also assisted in a considerable number of court and arbitration proceedings, and among his most significant proceedings are:
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and Comet following the construction of Stages 1 and 2 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final account for Stage 3 of the Copenhagen Metro
- Dispute review board case concerning the call for tenders for the City Ring linen (with Claus Berg)
- Arbitration proceedings regarding the final outstanding balances between Metroselskabet and CMT following the construction of the City Ring Project
Attorney, VILTOFT, 2020-2022
Appointed mediator and conciliator in construction disputes by the Danish Building and Construction Arbitration Board, 2019 –
Partner, VILTOFT, 1982-2019
Admitted to the Supreme Court, 1987
Admitted to the High Court, 1982
Admitted to the Danish Bar, 1980
Assistant attorney and attorney, VILTOFT, 1976-1982
Michael speaks the Scandinavian languages, English and German.
- Member of the Forum for the Future of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society, 2003-2005.
- Member of the working group of the Council of the Danish Bar and Law Society regarding public/private partnerships (PPP), 2005-2007.
- Member of the Danish Society for Construction and Consulting Law, the Danish Association for Procurement Law, the Danish Association of Litigation Attorneys, the Danish Arbitration Association, the Association of Municipal and Administrative Law, the Danish Society of Insurance Law Danish Mediating Lawyers and the International Bar Association (IBA).
Certified mediator, The Association of Danish Law Firms, 2006
Master of Laws (L.LM.), University of Copenhagen, 1976