Dr Elisabeth Thole > Van Doorne > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
Van Doorne Offices
1081 KM AMSTERDAM
PO BOX 75265, 1070 AG AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Dr Elisabeth Thole
Privacy & Data; Government & Regulation: Healthcare & Life Science; Consumer Goods, Retail, Food & Beverages; Technology, Media & Telecom; Financial Institutions: Pension services, FinTech; Cyper Security; AVG/GDPR
Partner and Head of Privacy Team. Extensively experienced in assisting clients with complex, high risk, cross-border data related matters. The Team is also specialized in e-commerce work.
Elisabeth is partner at Van Doorne as of 1 January 2016. Her 1991 PhD thesis “Software, een ‘novum’ in het vermogensrecht” addressed software as a novelty in property law, reviewing considerations on the position occupied by software copyrights in property law. Elisabeth publishes and is a regular speaker on IT and privacy-related topics. She has authored a variety of books on subjects including privacy (2010), IT contracts (2010), open source (2006), e-commerce (2001) and the Y2K problem (1998). Elisabeth is a member of the editorial team of the professional journals “Privacy & Informatie” (privacy and information) and “Tijdschrift voor Internetrecht” (internet law journal), and a permanent contributor to “Privacy & Practice”.
English, Dutch, French, German.
She is also a board member of the Netherlands Association of IT lawyers Vereniging Informaticarecht Advocaten (VIRA), and member of the Netherlands Privacy Law Association (Vereniging voor Privacyrecht), the Netherlands Association for Information Technology and Law (NVvIR), the ITechlaw Association and the Union Internationale des Avocats (UIA), where she is Vice-President of the Data Protection Commission.
PhD University Utrecht, the Netherlands (1991); Dutch Law, University Utrecht, the Netherlands (1986), with distinction.
Netherlands > Industry focus: Information technologyWithin: Leading individuals -
‘A well skilled and dedicated team of lawyers who deliver what they promise‘ is one verdict on Van Doorne; others report ‘it has great industry knowledge‘ and due to the size of the practice ‘can handle tough deadlines’. Bart van Reeken ‘is an example of a negotiator who achieves business goals using his knowledge and charm in a very balanced way‘, while Elisabeth Thole is also highlighted for ‘combining incredible knowledge of the law and an economical approach‘. Counsel Louis Jonker co-heads the firm’s FinTech and the digital health practices. Kees Stuurman left the firm.
- Industry focus: Information technology - Netherlands
- Leading individuals - Netherlands > Industry focus: Information technology
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution: Mediation
- Industry focus: Food
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Industry focus: retail
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: asset finance and structured finance
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Environment and planning
- EU and competition
- Project finance and PFI
- Real estate
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity