Clinical negligence: defendant in Wales
Spearheaded by David Mortimer, Blake Morgan LLP has a 'strong reputation' for handling defence work and is one of the few law firms in Wales with a significant focus on defending clinical negligence claims brought against doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals. The team also has a particular niche acting for doctors sued in their role as experts in personal injury claims.
Other key lawyers:
Claire Rawle; Tina Whitman; Alison Huckle
Led out of Cardiff by Jane Lang , and also able to leverage the expertise of practitioners spread across the firm's national network of offices, BLM has a strong reputation on behalf of the members of healthcare defence organisations. The team has expertise across the spectrum of cases, including those involving alleged delay in diagnosis of cancer, surgical claims, brain injury, and claims brought under the Human Rights Act 1998. Lang also regularly defends healthcare professionals in disciplinary hearings before their regulators.
Other key lawyers:
National Pharmacy Association
Led by the 'outstanding' Mike Scherp, the 'very competent' two-strong team at RadcliffesLeBrasseur provides a 'responsive and efficient' service to the members of all three main UK medical and dental defence organisations, as well as being instructed privately by individual professionals. Scherp has an excellent perspective on matters as a result of his work on both the defence and claimant side, and is also able to provide advocacy for healthcare professionals in complex inquests, ranging from deaths resulting from errors in general practice to deaths in custody, many of which involve issues arising from the Human Rights Act. Huw Morgan retired in December 2018.
‘Excellent healthcare sector knowledge and experience.’
‘Lawyers are properly on top of the cases when they instruct counsel.’
‘Mike Scherp’s experience means he has seen it all before and he is unflappable.’
‘The tactically astute Mike Scherp has excellent judgement and is fully on top of his cases.’
Medical Defence Union
- Representing two GPs in a multimillion-pound claim involving two other General Practitioners, the Welsh Ambulance Trust and a Local Health Board.
- Acting for numerous clients in a claim for compensation pursued against a GP, a Health Board and several other GPs relating to life changing injuries sustained as a result of alleged clinical negligence.
- Representing a GP in a complex and long-running matter arising out of a patient death that has been subject to GMC action, a Local Health Board investigation, a Coroner’s Inquest and a claim.
- Multi-party litigation involving complex issues of breach of duty and causation – the claim involves multiple GPs, a Consultant Surgeon and an NHS Trust.
- Representing the client in a pending claim arising from alleged clinical negligence in relation to a police investigation for a possible criminal offence and also a Coroner’s Inquest.