Employment in Latvia
Cobalt's employment practice covers a broad range of matters, including immigration, restructurings, redundancies and employment contracts. Toms Šulmanis leads the 'professional and responsive' team. He recently provided employment advice in relation to the cross-border merger of SEB Life Insurance, and also advises on immigration and trade union matters. Senior associate Kristīne Patmalniece advises on residence and work permits, redundancies and the employment of foreign nationals in Latvia. Associate Ivo Maskalāns has expertise in restructuring and also represents clients in employment disputes.
‘Cobalt always provides business-friendly solutions and detailed risk verification. It provides full information for us to make risk assessment on our business.’
‘The team at Cobalt was very professional and responsive.’
‘The service is personal and always on time.’
‘Toms Sulmanis is a great lawyer, always happy to assist and open to solving any issues on reasonable terms.’
Johnson & Johnson
- Advised on the employment law aspects of the cross-border merger of Luminor Bank entities, including transfer of undertaking issues, requirements for establishment of a European Works Council, and trade union matters.
- Advised Hugo Boss in relation to operations in the Latvian market, including drafting the template employment contract and internal working procedures, the adjustment of various policies in line with local requirements, and other matters.
- Advised Solvay Business Services Latvia on employment issues such as collective agreements, breach of non-solicitation undertakings, and updates to the template employment documents and fixed term employment contracts.
Ellex's employment practice handles immigration matters, employment disputes and business restructuring. Team head Irina Kostina, who possesses an 'in-depth knowledge of the industry', regularly advises on employee terminations and multi-jurisdictional transfers of undertakings. Kostina provided Takeda Pharmaceutical Company with advice on employment issues associated with a global reorganisation after the acquisition of Shire plc. The 'commercial' and 'responsive' Daiga Zivtina has experience acting for corporate clients in employment disputes in the courts and internal investigations. Senior associate Andris Lazdins 'provides an exceptional service', assisting domestic and international clients with cross-border reorganisations and the investigation of illegal activities. Associate Ints Skaldis focuses on immigration matters while also advising on restructuring, liquidation and outsourcing.
‘Irina Kostina has in-depth knowledge of the industry.’
‘The Ellex team provides legal advisory services in a practical manner. The team members are highly professional and reliable. Their support is always on time and helpful.’
‘Daiga Zivtina is responsive and commercial, with industry expertise. Makes it easy to recommend the firm to clients.’
‘I am very pleased with cooperation with Andris Lazdins He has expertise in Labour Law, is well-informed about court practices and latest trends; he is able to show the risks and also offer risk mitigation plans. He shows real interest about our situations and cases; possess business thinking. He is responsive and reacts quickly. It all together makes very valuable combination for our business. He definitely provides exceptional service.’
‘Andris Lazdins is always very responsive and thorough in his explanations and thoughtful in his advice.’
‘We mainly work with American law firms and Ellex is pretty much the sole choice for us to have the same level of advice in Latvia.’
‘Good commercial advice, responsive and great to work with on international projects.’
‘Irina Kostina provides good, succinct, user-friendly advice.’
‘Ints Skaldis understood the client’s requirements, great advice in English, easy to work with.’
‘Iveta Ceple offered speedy replies and insightful comments.’
Coca-Cola HBC Latvia
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Heidelberg Cement Sweden
- Provided continuous legal assistance to Booking.com on different employment matters.
- Provided advice on employment matters, including the sensitive termination of an employment relationship, to a global contract research organisation.
- Represented TD Trans and Maksims Znotēns as co-defendants in a private damages action for alleged employee confidentiality and non-compete restriction violation and unfair competition brought by CF&S Latvia, a major logistics company.
Sorainen's employment practice advises on terminations, company restructuring and conflict management and handles litigation. Eva Berlaus, who has expertise in employment disputes and collective employment relations, leads the team. Senior associate Andis Burkevics is 'extremely knowledgeable and experienced' in employment law with significant experience dealing with trade unions. Compliance advice is also a key part of Burkevics' practice as he covers personal data protection and safety requirements issues. Senior associate Zane Paeglīte advises on the employment aspects of corporate governance and business restructuring. The practice represents clients in both pre-court negotiations and court proceedings.
‘For complicated issues they are able to create a team of specialists who know how to work together to handle cases.’
‘Andis Burkevics is extremely knowledgable and experienced. I highly valued his experience and suggestions.’
Air Baltic Corporation
Olympic Casino Latvia
- Advising VMF Latvia on establishing a new work remuneration policy, validating internal work procedure rules and drafting employee privacy notices regarding processing of their personal data.
- Representing Runway in a dispute with a former employee who claimed that he had been illegally dismissed during his probation period.
- Assisting Riga Graduate School of Law with the termination of an employee who was employed in two positions (one for a fixed-term, the other permanently) and was on a long-term justified absence.
Eversheds Sutherland Bitāns' practice has notable strength in employment litigation, appearing before all the principal courts of Latvia. Team head Māris Logins is representing Berlin Chemie Menarini Baltic in multiple proceedings concerning a dispute over the termination notice of an employee on the grounds of redundancy, overtime and pay. The 'very professional and responsive' Elina Mucina has expertise in employment as well as personal data protection law. Associate Jānis Siliņš advises on reorganisations and redundancy cases and has experience in trade union matters.
‘I really value Elina Mucina’s support and guidance related to local legislation, clarity of response, thorough analysis of the available options and potential consequences, and availability to support me during end of employment meetings to respond to employee doubts. Very professional and responsive to all my questions and concerns.’
- Advising the Latvian branch of employment agency Manpower Lit on employment-related matters, including collective redundancy of staff and termination of employment contracts on disciplinary grounds.
- Providing ongoing employment law advice to Turkish Airlines on matters such as consultations on employees’ absence from work and drafting of employment-related documents.
- Provided Polhem PR with legal advice on the termination of an employee who was using company funds without proper justification.
TGS Baltic is noted for its advice on company restructuring and collective agreement arrangements. The firm also acts on immigration matters and labour-related disputes. Andra Rubene, Nauris Grigals and Linda Štrause collectively lead the team. Rubene’s recent caseload includes assisting MyFitness, the largest chain of gyms in Latvia and Estonia, with a range of employment law matters, while Štrause provides employment advice to Graanul Pellets, the largest wood pellet producer in Europe. Associate Toms Tidemanis, who joined the firm in 2018, is also recommended.
- Advised Marsh on matters such as the strategic change of the supervisory board of the company, the engagement of new employees and the termination of employees.
- Advised Flying Jamon on options to acquire shares in the company by consultants and employees resident in Latvia and Lithuania.
- Represented Latgran in a dispute with an employee on the grounds of discrimination at work and differential treatment in determining working conditions.
VILGERTS' practice has experience advising on employment contracts, disputes, outsourcing matters and dealing with trade unions. Jūlija Jerņeva leads the team and acts for individuals and companies on collective disputes and day-to-day employment matters. The team also handles sexual harassment cases. Janis Kublis, the firm's head of dispute resolution, possesses 'excellent knowledge' of labour law, regularly acting in employment-related litigation and arbitration proceedings. The practice is capable of providing advice on employment matters in Latvian, Russian and English.
‘Vilgerts’ team is flexible and eager to solve the problem. They are focused on finding solutions and listening to the client’s wishes and are not aiming to raise their fees.’
‘Janis Kubilis is a litigator, but with excellent knowledge of labour law, which makes him stand out among other lawyers when representing a client.’
Sky Clean SIA
Trade Corporation International S.A.
Valmiera Glass AS
Nordcurrent Group UAB
Air Baltic Corporation AS
- Assisting Air Baltic Corporation in litigation with a former employee concerning alleged mobbing and bossing.
- Assisting Valmiera Glass with employment-related matters, including a dispute with the State Labour Inspectorate and alleged breaches by the client in the methodology of calculation of overtime during public holidays.
- Assisting Nyor Investments with the liquidation of its Latvian group entity Tektrans, which involved the termination of employment of all Tektrans employees.
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)
WALLESS (former Primus Derling)'s employment practice advises on the implementation of employment regulations such as working time regulations, terminations and compliance matters. Sintija Radionova heads the team; she regularly acts for clients in employment disputes and advises on cross-border restructurings and terminations. Senior associate Dace Driče is experienced in employment matters, having advised on the establishment and termination of working relationships and labour disputes.
Sapiens International Corporation
Uctam Baltics SIA
Dan Store LSEZ SIA
UAV FACTORY SIA
- Providing ongoing advice on employment and management matters to Dan Store.
- Advised L-Ekspresis on ongoing employment and management matters and on the drafting of whistleblowing system documentation.
LEADELL Fogels, Vitols & Paipa's employment practice is headed by Ilze Jankevica, who is experienced in drafting employment agreements, acting on termination matters and representing clients in court in employment disputes. The team co-operates with the firm’s offices in Lithuania and Estonia to act on cross-border matters. Managing partner Karlis Vitols also has expertise in employment matters in a range of sectors.
Rödl & Partner
Rödl & Partner's team is headed by Inese Lazdupe and Kristīne Zvejniece and acts on employment matters including restructurings and business transfers. The 'excellent' and 'professional' Zvejniece handles employment issues in a range of sectors such as IT and retail. Lazdupe’s recent highlights include assisting the Stockholm School of Economics in Riga with employment matters relating to special statutory instruments for educational institutions. Associate Arsēnijs Korabeļskis is also recommended.
‘Kristane Zvejniece is structured, professional, and works fast and thoughtfully.’
‘Many years of experience. Individual approach to the client.’
‘Timely execution of work, humane attitude and professionalism from employees.’
Stockholm School of Economics in Riga
Arvato Systems Latvia SIA
Brain Games Publishing SIA
Travelport Baltija SIA
HSH Chemie GmbH
- Assisted Bio-Tec Reinigungsmittel und -zubehör Vertriebs with the termination of an employment agreement with an employee.
- Assisting Dinair Filton SIA (a subsidiary of AAF International) with ongoing employment-related matters.
- Providing Rohe Latvija with day-to-day employment advice.