Boutique firm Actance has one of the deepest benches in the market and advises a highly prominent and diverse client base that includes many of France’s leading companies, for example from from the banking and finance, retail, post, media and industrial fields, as well as international groups. Its expertise is retained to assist with highly sensitive projects. Recently, the firm handled high amount of large-scale restructuring, mass lay off and plant closure projects, including several workforce downsizing projects involving several hundred employees. Strategic reorganisation plans and matters involving job cuts and transfers in an insolvency context were another busy line of work. Finally, the firm regularly advises on high-profile M&A transactions and has been providing key support to companies during the Covid-19 pandemic. The practice is co-headed by Paris-based partners: Emeric Sorel , Loïc Touranchet,Pierre-Alexis Dumont, Lucie Vincens, Eliane Chateauvieux, Franck Blin, Laurent Jammet, and Nice-based partner Jean-Michel Renucci. Sébastien Leroy, Sophie Rey and Aymeric de Lamarzelle were promoted partner in 2020.
Employment in France
Emeric Sorel; Loïc Touranchet; Pierre-Alexis Dumont; Lucie Vincens; Eliane Chateauvieux; Franck Blin; Laurent Jammet; Jean-Michel Renucci
‘A very high-level understanding of the way companies work.’
‘A remarkable team with great expertise and ability to guide and coach its clients.’
‘Concrete advice, adapted to the relevant persons involved and the situations at hand.’
‘Partners are always available, flexible and creative. They always look for the best solutions according to the environment.’
‘Pierre-Alexis Dumont and associate Antoine Tantaro are excellent.’
Groupe Le Figaro
- Advised Easyjet on negotiations with the French government in order to become eligible to the partial activity scheme for all their employees in France.
- Assisting Presstalis with all employment issues resulting from the potential liquidation and the eventual sale of the French leader of press distribution.
- Assisting Auchan with its 2022 employment strategy plan.
August Debouzy advises a prominent client base, made up of many CAC 40 corporations and major French and international companies, including insurance companies. The practice offers full-service support ranging from day-to-day assistance to the most challenging issues. Several large-scale downsizing and site closure projects, each involving several hundred up to a thousand employees, are included in the caseload. The team was also chosen to assist with challenging Covid-19 pandemic-related issues, such as safety conditions, working time and the renegotiation of paid leaves and bonuses. The practice also handles sensitive litigation, such as a high-stakes dispute involving a major digital platform concerning the contract status issues of self-employed workers or disputes involving dismissal procedures of top executives. Social security tax audits are another area of strength. Practice head Emmanuelle Barbara is highly regarded. Other key figures in the team include: Fabienne Haas, Marie-Hélène Bensadoun, Virginie Devos, Eric Manca, Catherine Le Manchec, Anaïs Qureshi , Philippe Durand, counsel Diane Reboursier and Isabelle Hadoux-Vallier and senior associate Boris Léone-Robin, the latter two specialising in remuneration, compensation and benefits issues.
Other key lawyers:
Fabienne Haas; Marie-Hélène Bensadoun; Virginie Devos; Eric Manca; Catherine Le Manchec; Anaïs Qureshi; Philippe Durand; Diane Reboursier
‘Virginie Devos is accessible and expert; it is a pleasure to work with her. Virginie also knows how to be creative in her approaches.’
‘The practice covers all sectors, each partner specialising in a field, while sharing his/her knowledge. Their interventions on such a large range of issues permit highly precise advice, which we do not find in competitors. They do not hesitate, decide quickly, and provide transversal solutions.’
‘Emmanuelle Barbara’s interventions are unique and essential. We choose her for her analysis which make a strong difference on a file. We choose her for her ability to successfully reposition a case.’
‘The labour law team is always attentive and always anticipates new labour rules.’
‘Relationships, trust and reliability of information are undeniable assets.’
- Assisting a French bank with the implementation of the new pension plans created by the French ‘Pacte’ Law of 2019 to replace the collective pension plans and the supplementary defined-contribution pension plans.
- Defending a French insurance company in serial litigation concerning daily allowances and disability pensions paid to employees following the modification of their remuneration by their employer.
- Assisting a company of the gig economy with a URSSAF audit initiated in 2017 that led to voluntary police interviews at the end of 2019.
Bredin Prat ’s team assists a highly prominent client base, including many large French and global players, many of whom recently entrusted large-scale restructuring and downsizing projects to the group. The practice also has in-depth expertise in handling the employment law aspects of the firm’s leading M&A transactions, regularly involving listed companies. Strategic disputes and mass litigation are also handled, with the high-stakes disputes for Uber pertaining to the employment contract status of Uber’s self-employed drivers as a recent example. The team also assists clients with sensitive individual litigation involving former executives. The highly regarded Pascale Lagesse directs the practice. Cyril Gaillard, Laëtitia Tombarello and counsel Jérôme Cordier are also excellent. The team recently hired one of France’s leading employment law professors in Paul-Henri Antonmattei who joined in Autumn 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Cyril Gaillard; Laetitia Tombarello; Jérôme Cordier
‘Quick understanding and in-depth analysis of situations; very business-oriented ability to respond quickly across the entire labor law spectrum.’
‘The team delivers high-quality work and deadlines are always kept; high availability and responsiveness.’
“A close-knit and efficient team which listens to the client and looks for the best result in the interest of the client; an always combative and optimistic team.’
‘A flexible, fast partner who always listens to us. Pascale Lagesse always provides prudent and fair advice. ’
Groupe PSA Peugeot Citroën
- Advising PSA Peugeot Citroën on all employment law aspects of the binding combination agreement with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
- Advising Uber on two litigation matters involving an adjustment carried out by URSSAF Ile-de-France in the amount of several million Euros and claims for the reclassification of the commercial relationship as an employment contract.
- Advising Ingenico on the employment law aspects in connection with the friendly share exchange offer launched by Worldline.
Capstan Avocats, member of Ius Laboris
Capstan Avocats, member of Ius Laboris has its main office in Paris and ten other offices across the country. The firm gathers one of the market’s largest teams and is a key member of international employment law alliance ius laboris. The practice advises a prominent client base which includes many of the world’s largest companie alongside many French blue-chip corporations. It is able to provide a full range of expertise and is entrusted to deal with the most challenging collective and individual files. The practice recently advised on several landmark M&A transactions and assisted large companies with their restructuring and mass lay off projects. It is also handles several mass litigation proceedings, notably dealing with co-employment claims. Pascal Lagoutte heads the firm. Other highly recognised partners are: Jean-Michel Mir, Bruno Serizay, Guillaume Bordier and Arnaud Teissier.
Other key lawyers:
Jean-Michel Mir; Bruno Serizay; Guillaume Bordier; Arnaud Teissier
Based in Paris, Lyon and Sophia Antipolis, Chassany Watrelot & Associés (CWA) is one of France’s most recognised boutiques. The firm gathers offers a substantial bench from its offices in France and its four offices in the Maghreb region, offering the complete range of expertise, spanning individual and collective advisory, litigation, social security and compensation and benefits matters. The group is very experienced in high-profile issues, including recent Covid-19-related matters, especially in the retail and metallurgical fields where its contribution was instrumental to ensure swift business reopening. The practice also has strong experience handling large-scale restructuring and insolvency-related work and is also regularly appointed to provide assistance on strategic M&A deals. Founding partners Philippe Chassany and Jérôme Watrelot co-head the firm. Also highly recommended are Elisabeth Graujeman who advises on labour law and retirement and welfare issues and Sébastien Poncet. Of counsel Anne de Gabory also deserves a mention. Juliette Pouyet and Julien Boucaud-Maître left in May 2021 to join Majj Avocats.
Philippe Chassany; Jérôme Watrelot
Other key lawyers:
Elisabeth Graujeman; Sébastien Poncet; Anne de Gabory
‘The partners are real experts in their field. Their main strength is being able to provide simple, pragmatic advice that can be easily put into practice, taking into account the realities of the company, as well as the financial and human aspects.’
‘Me Xavier de Jerphanion is fast and efficient. He adapts to the situation and to his interlocutors.’
‘Always extremely available and responsive, Maître Sébastien Poncet combines great professionalism, perfect listening skills and a good understanding of extremely diverse issues. He always provides very relevant answers. Great added value.’
‘A competent, multidisciplinary team, attentive to the needs of clients with a sense of service.’
‘The lawyers are all very available and react quickly to problems; we always find an attentive and responsive ear to listen to our problems.’
‘Sébastien Poncet is always attentive, available, responsive, involved and proactive in the solution of problems.’
LCH.Clearnet SA (LSE Group)
Seita (Imperial Tobacco group)
Groupe France Télévisions
Schmolz + Bickenbach
Amrest (KFC, Pizza Hut)
Royal Canin (Mars Group)
- Advising Carrefour Group on the business continuity of shops and warehouses during the lockdown related to the Covid 19 crisis.
- Assisting Groupe France Télévisions with implementing a transformation plan in view of moving from linear television to digital and non-linear television.
- Advising Air France on the employment aspects of the potential acquisition of Air Azur.
CMS stands out with its large workforce, mainly based in the Paris office, but also in Lyon. The firm handles day-to-day to issues, but also advises clients on their most strategic matters, with clients including many well-known French and international companies. The practice recently acted in several high-profile global M&A transactions, for example when advising EQT Investment Fund on the acquisition of Galderma from Nestlé Pharmaceutical Healthcare. The practice also deals with highly sensitive Covid-19 pandemic-related issues, such as successfully assisting French employment agency Pôle Emploi with disputes with trade unions regarding the reopening of its agencies across the country which concerned 50,000 employees. Strategic restructuring and plant closing work and a successfully fought precedent-setting dispute in France regarding the payment of bonus for temporary workers were also in the caseload. Key names in the practice include the highly regarded Laurent Marquet de Vasselot, Alain Herrmann, Pierre Bonneau, Raphaël Bordier, Nicolas de Sevin, Nicolas Callies, Caroline Froger-Michon and Guillaume Bossy as well as Thierry Romand and Elodie Bossuot-Quin.
Other key lawyers:
Laurent Marquet de Vasselot; Alain Herrmann; Pierre Bonneau; Raphaël Bordier; Nicolas de Sevin; Nicolas Callies; Caroline Froger-Michon; Guillaume Bossy; Thierry Romand; Elodie Bossuot-Quin
‘A very competent and responsive team; very high availability.’
Sas Auchan Retail Services
Coca Cola European Partner Ccep
EQT Investment Fund
- Providing regular assistance to CNP Assurances.
- Assisting Auchan with ensuring that decisions made during the Covid 19 crisis were compliant with the emergency measures adopted by the French legislator.
- Advised CTS Eventim on the employment aspects of its partnership with the Fnac Darty group.
One of France’s leading boutique firms Flichy Grangé Avocats has large resources with a big and an impressive client base. The long-established practice routinely manages highly challenging work, including large-scale restructuring and litigation involving several hundred to more than a thousand employees. The practice has notably been entrusted by Société Générale to implement a collective contractual termination agreement for around 1600 job cuts around the world, and manages proceedings involving more than 800 plaintiffs concerning the shutdown of client Goodyear’s Amiens Nord plant in 2014. In addition, the firm is handling a high-stake asbestos and chemical risk-exposure related mass dispute, and provides assistance with some of the market’s most high-profile M&A transactions. The team includes many experienced partners including the recommended below names: founding partner Joël Grangé, Florence Aubonnet, Arnaud Chaulet, Olivier Kress, Blandine Allix, Florence Bacquet, Stéphane Bloch, Aurélie Cormier Le Goff, Jeannie Crédoz-Rosier,Stéphanie Dumas, Joumana Frangié-Moukanas, Nabila Fauché El Alougri, Stéphanie Guedes Da Costa, Juliana Kovac, Caroline Scherrmann and Amandine Vetu. Franck Morel, who was previously an adviser to former Prime Minister Edouard Philippe, who joined the firm in July 2020. Also recommended is counsel Romain Guichard.
Joël Grange; Philippe Montanier; Arnaud Chaulet; Marine Conche; Florence Aubonnet; Juliana Kovac; Olivier Kress; Blandine Allix; Nabila Fauche-El Aougri; Stéphanie Guedes da Costa; Stéphanie Dumas; Joumana Frangie-Moukanas; Cyprien Pialoux; Jeannie Crédoz-Rosier; Charlotte Michaud; Bruno Fieschi; Corinne Potier; Aurélie Cormier Le Goff; Florence Bacquet; Caroline Scherrman; Camille Ventejou; Frédéric-Guillaume Laprevote; Stéphane Bloch; Emmanuel Raynaud; Amandine Vetu; Franck Morel
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Fiat Chrysler Automotive on the employment aspects of its merger with PSA.
- Advising Amgen on conducting the employment law audit for France, Italy, the Netherlands, Germany and Spain of the acquisition from Celgene corporation of the worldwide rights to the psoriasis treatment Otezla.
- Represented Goodyear in mass litigation proceedings challenging the economic rationale supporting redundancy decisions.
Orrick Rambaud Martel has enjoyed a very high level of activity advising both existing and new clients on major restructuring projects, directly or not directly linked to the Covid-19 crisis. The practice notably handled landmark work for Air France whom it assisted with several downsizing plans concerning over 2,000 employees, as well as key client AXA IM with its landmark transformation project. The team also completed major M&A work. Practice head Emmanuel Bénard ranks among the best in his field. Nadège Owen is the second key member, while Hélène Boukez was promoted of counsel in early 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Nadège Owen; Hélène Boukez
‘Emmanuel Bénard provides excellent advice; he has a precise, calm and reassuring style and communication skills, and the ability to make legal concepts accessible to non-lawyers. He is solution-oriented and extremely available and responsive at key moments.’
‘Emmanuel Bénard and his team are excellent professionals with solid expertise in employment law. Other team members, such as Nadège Owen, are also excellent professionals with a very strong work capacity, commitment and a very good level of expertise in employment law.’
‘This firm has professionals who understand business and provide advice and solutions that facilitate choice-making. Their lawyers know how to light the way and offer solutions to reduce or avoid risks. Their professionals are endowed with a great depth of experience in many sectors and varied contexts, which makes them experienced advisers who base their advice on a wide variety of situations already experienced and supplemented by a great knowledge of business contexts. It is extremely reassuring for the client.’
‘What strikes me about lawyers in this practice is their closeness to the client and to the client’s business. It is as if they have known us forever. I know few lawyers who give me this impression of understanding everything. They have exceptional competence that I have never found in competitors and above all the ability to understand subjects as if they were from within.’
La Banque Postale
Forensic Risk Alliance
- Advising La Banque Postale in the context of a transaction which aims to split their asset management subsidiary (LBP AM) into two companies, one of which may involve downsizing.
- Advising la Saur, one of the main players in the French water management industry, on multiple employment law-related aspects of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Assisting Solocal with the implementation of its downsizing project, including advising on the risks related to the postponement of payment of termination indemnities to employees and in defending the client against a claim by an employee seeking immediate payment.
Michel PRADEL ; Virgile PRADEL ; Perle PRADEL BOUREUX ; Camille PRADEL
Proskauer Rose LLP ’s team manages an impressive amount of high-profile work for a diverse client base that includes blue-chip names in the automobile, retail, food and telecoms sectors. It provides strategic assistance on companies’ top governance issues and transformation projects and offers extensive experience in large-scale mass redundancies projects and litigation. It is assisting key client Renault with various strategic matters, such as defending its interests before the employment tribunal in proceedings launched against former CEO Carlos Ghosn. The practice is also highly reputed for its high proficiency at handling complex individual issues and litigation, such as discrimination, harassment and equal treatment issues. Yasmine Tarasewicz and Béatrice Pola co-head the team. Cedric Jacquelet, Nicolas Léger and Alexandra Stocki are also recommended.
Yasmine Tarasewicz; Béatrice Pola
Other key lawyers:
Cédric Jacquelet; Nicolas Léger; Alexandra Stocki
‘Great team. Very responsive, making sure to adapt to the client’s culture.’
‘Very business-minded team.’
‘Beyond being responsive, Alexandra Stocki is a real business partner helping us challenge the status quo and find the right legal framework to proceed with our key business projects. She really goes above and beyond her legal remit to understand the business environment to come up with very pragmatic solutions that are easy to operate with.’
‘We are extremely appreciative of Nicolas Léger’s finesse in his analyses. He always makes incredible creative proposals in addition to being quick and reassuring given the density of his technical expertise. We work with confidence on the basis of his recommendations on complex operations.’
- Advising GE on the employment law aspects of its eight corporate restructuring projects in France.
- Providing ongoing support to Renault, including litigation in the labour court.
David RIGAUD; Pascale BARON; Xavier PIGNAUD; Amélie WAZIR-LEPARQUIER
Dentons’ Parisian team provided strong support to clients during France’s first Covid-19 lockdown. It notably assisted leading companies from the retail, hotel and aviation industries with the implementation of various new regulations and measures, such as temporary shutdowns and governmental inspections. Recently, the team also handled a high amount of restructuring and collective redundancies projects in a number of sectors, including the management of related collective litigation. The stand-alone practice also provides the full range of advice on collective and individual issues, such as assisting with contract status qualification issues. It also assists the corporate department with M&A transactions. Julie Caussade and Frédérique Meslay-Caloni are in charge of the Paris team, while Katell Déniel-Allioux supervises the firm’s European practice.
Julie Caussade; Katell Déniel-Allioux; Frédérique Meslay-Caloni
Alight Solutions LLC
- Advising Alight Solutions LLC on its acquisition of NGA Human Resources from Goldman Sachs.
- Advising Lima, Natuurvoedingsbedrijf B.V. on the employment law aspects related to the sale of 100% of the shares of Danival SAS to Wessanen France Holding SAS.
- Assisting the management of Grand Case Beach Club Hotel, located in Saint-Martin (French West Indies), with the labour law reorganisation of the hotel structures and management.
DLA Piper impresses with a very experienced team that leads a strong stand-alone practice. The group is particularly active in the industrial, technology and aviation sectors and well versed in managing a high amount of strategic files. It is notably assisting several key clients with strategic restructuring, plant and branch shutdown work as well as with related mass litigation on issues such as co-employment. It is also acting in a sensitive mass litigation dealing with moral harassment issues. Strategic individual files such as departures of key managers are also dealt with. The partnership consists of: practice head Philippe Danesi, Bijan Eghbal, Marine Gicquel and Jérôme Halphen.
Other key lawyers:
Bijan Eghbal; Marine Gicquel; Jérôme Halphen
‘The team combines an excellent level of legal knowledge with a very good knowledge and understanding of the operating methods and challenges of companies, in particular large international companies. Their involvement and availability are. Its members adapt very well to different interlocutors.’
‘The team is very reactive and always gets back to us within the deadline. This is key for our business.’
’Philippe Danesi is extremely reactive and technically sharp. He always goes beyond his lawyer’s role by providing strategical advice. He is very clever.’
‘It is refreshing to work with a firm that has extensive expertise across multiple areas/sectors, industries and marketplaces. My experience with DLA has exceeded expectations with their follow-through, attention to detail, dedication/support and creative problemsolving approaches.’
‘The DLA Piper employment law team, led by Philippe Danesi, is a very responsive, technical and sophisticated team. Beyond its precision and fine analyses, we particularly appreciate its ability to offer us creative and pragmatic solutions.’
‘Philippe Danesi has a taste for challenges and shows great pugnacity to obtain the most favourable solutions for his client. Excellent technician and passionate about his subject, he knows how to perfectly adapt his expertise and experience to operational issues and to the business and HR challenges of the company.’
AXA Technology services
London Stock Exchange
FTMS Avocats launched its practice in January 2020 after hiring a highly regarded team from Jeantet, led by Olivier Angotti and the highly experienced Jean Néret, who is particularly involved in sensitive employment criminal matters. The group team, which also includes counsels Sabrina Kemel and Isabelle Pontal, assists a prominent and loyal client base comprising leading names in the automotive, luxury goods, hospitably, industrial and media fields. It is retained to handle significant advisory and litigation work, with recent work including highly strategic restructuring projects and litigation. Contract status requalification matters and governance issues are also dealt with.
Jean Néret; Olivier Angotti
‘The team is extremely helpful and perfectly knows our company. Advice is always relevant and adapted to our company.’
‘I work with Me Isabelle Pontal and Me Guillaume Turpin. They are always very available. I know I can count on them during crisis situations to get a clear and quick response. Moreover, it is a real pleasure to work with them.’
‘A very professional team and very pleasant; very attentive; quickly understands the various complexities faced by our business; great legal mastery; availability; loyalty.’
‘It is a real pleasure to be working with Maître Pontal. She is very professional, very attentive, very pleasant. Maître Eskenazi is also very professional and very discreet and he masters his subject well.’
‘Availability and responsiveness. They were a real support and they helped our company at every step.’
‘Isabelle PONTAL has great skills, shows swiftness of response and high precision.’
‘Exceptional availability and commitment.’
‘The team has demonstrated high-level skills, deep regulatory knowledge and quick understanding of our main critical issues.’
‘Competence, speed and attention to our needs are the main skills that, beyond the strictly legal ones, have certainly made the difference.’
‘Attentive and available.’
‘The team is made up of people with different skills and qualities, which allows productive exchanges.’
Fiat Chrysler Automobiles France (FCA)
SMRC Automotive Modules France
Zadig & Voltaire
- Advising Valeo on the management of a complex reorganisation of its industrial sites, including health and safety, trade union law, employees’ representatives’ institutions rights issues.
- Assisting Montupet Linamar with the implementation of a series of major redundancy exercises and the relocation of their French Headquarters.
- Advising FCA Group in France on all its labour law issues and in particular the termination of a unilateral agreement regarding a pre-retirement scheme.
Fromont Briens is one of France’s most established employment and benefits law boutiques. Based in Lyon and Paris and member of Littler’s international network, the firm is home to a substantial bench that assists a leading client base of blue-chip French and international companies specialising in various sectors. The firm is able to provide the full range of expertise, from day-to-day assistance to complex projects. Lately, the firm advised on major transformation and reorganisation projects and guided several companies through the set-up of social and economic committees and European work councils. The firm also assisted leading pharmaceutical and energy companies with large-scale downsizing and site closure projects. The team also handles several mass litigations, notably dealing with payment issues of overtime work. Pension-, benefits- and social security-related work are other areas of expertise. The partnership includes notably the following recommended names: Gilles Briens, Jean-Sébastien Capisano, Marie-Laurence Boulanger, Sophie Pelicier-Leovenbruck, Cédric Guillon, Sabrina Dougados, Jean-Martial Buisson, Julie Beot-Rabiot, Guillaume Desmoulin and Julie Jacotot. They all co-head the practice alongside: Cécilia Arandel, David Blanc and Carole Codaccioni.
Cécilia Arandel; Julie Beot-Rabiot; David Blanc; Jean-Martial Buisson; Carole Codaccioni; Guillaume Desmoulin; Sabrina Dougados
‘The practice is unique in that the whole team knows how to adapt to the culture and the capacities of a company.’
‘Great professional qualities; availability, interpersonal skills and empathy. Lawyers share their vision with us. Jean-Martial Buisson and his entire team are always available; we are always their priority. More than just a great client service.’
CANADIAN EVENTS INDUSTRY
- Assisting Laboratoires Boiron with a major reorganisation plan following the decision of the French government to defund homeopathy.
- Supported Sodexo with the revision and renegotiation of its group agreement relating to professional training after the publication of the law for the freedom to choose one’s professional future.
- Advising Matmut on the negotiation and signing of an agreement on social dialogue within an entity of nearly 6,000 employees.
Gide Loyrette Nouel A.A.R.P.I. ’s team advises leading French and international companies, including leading airline, energy and luxury goods companies, on their most strategic issues. The practice is handling several mass disputes relating to M&A, insolvency and downsizing projects as well as expenses and dividends work matters. The team has also been retained by Uber to handle high-stakes claims brought by hundreds of Uber platform drivers’ users asking for their status to be reclassified as employees. Recently, the group provided key support in dealing with the first Covid-19 lockdown. Aurélien Boulanger, David Jonin, Baudouin de Moucheron, Guillaume Navarro, Foulques de Rostolan and François Vergne share the lead of the practice.
Aurélien Boulanger; David Jonin; Baudouin de Moucheron; Guillaume Navarro; Foulques de Rostolan; François Vergne
‘A very available, ultra sharp team with a practical approach to issues.’
‘Their availability and the closeness of the relationship established in a short time inspire confidence and reassure.’
‘Gide’s practice in labour law is excellent and absolutely exceptional in labour litigation. I have never found such a high level of expertise and commitment elsewhere in defending cases, as difficult and technical as they are.’
‘Baudouin de Moucheron and Aurélien Boulanger are two excellent lawyers in social and criminal law and remarkable litigators.’
‘Responsive, available, efficient, accessible, pleasant, attentive to our concerns.’
‘Particularly available and responsive team.’
‘High-level advice and strong analytical skills.’
‘Responsiveness and availability.’
‘Global approach to topics and accessibility.’
‘We work with Maître Jonin and Maître Voska-Haimez whose qualities of analysis, availability, responsiveness and understanding of the issues are of great added value.’
‘They show responsiveness, multidisciplinarity, friendliness and, of course, professionalism.’
‘The commitment of the lawyers is very strong and so is the level of professionalism. Guillaume Navarro who is an excellent lawyer and perfectly represents the firm.’
‘Studies are very comprehensive and very well explained. They contain all the needed references and application to specific cases. It helps to measure and manage risks very well. They provide clear advice.’
Leroy Merlin (Adeo Group)
Paris Inn Group
- Representing Uber in the context of claims brought by hundreds of drivers using the Uber platform to be reclassified as employees of the platform.
- Representing Stora Enso, the leading Finland-based manufacturer of pulp, paper and other forest products, in the context of requests of co-employment and recognition of illegal dismissals.
- Representing DFDS Seaways in a dispute against circa 150 employees who claim they should have been transferred to DFDS following the liquidation of MyFerryLink/SeaFrance under the French TUPE rules.
Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP impresses with a high-level team which assists many leading French and international corporations from various sectors such as the pharmaceutical, financial, retail and automotive industries. The team is very experienced in advising on major M&A and corporate restructuring projects, for example in the life sciences, financial and luxury goods sectors. It also handles mass litigation and has been managing several files dealing with social security reassessment disputes. Since 2020, the firm has also been active in Covid-19 pandemic-related matters. Practice head Dominique Mendy and Thierry Meillat are highly recommended. The team saw several changes in 2020: key member Muriel Pariente left for Ashurst LLP, while Marion Guertault rejoined the practice as partner in autumn 2020 after having briefly left the firm in early 2020 to join Latham & Watkins as counsel.
Other key lawyers:
Thierry Meillat; Marion Guertault
‘Thierry Meillat has been able to create a special bond of trust, thanks to his great professionalism, his availability and his attentive listening.’
MSD (Animal Health)
MSD (Human Health/Animal Health)
- Advised MSD on the restructuring of the company.
- Defended Ford against claims of non-respect of the information/consultation procedure.
- Advised MSD on the closure of an animal health research centre.
Linklaters‘ team handles a wide variety of work. The practice regularly assists corporate colleagues with M&A and private equity transactions, but also runs a very busy stand-alone activity spanning collective and sensitive individual files. Lately, the team provided key assistance to clients in connection with the Covid-19 pandemic, including assistance with the implementation of new working schemes and restructuring projects. It is also highly sought after for guidance on compliance, whistle-blowing and ethics issues, and was in high demand from financial institutions regarding Brexit-related issues. Finally, the team also handles a high amount of restructuring and collective workforce downsizing work as well as several mass disputes dealing with various issues such as co-employment and working time matters. Practice heads Lionel Vuidard and recently promoted partner Géric Clomes are recommended.
Lionel Vuidard; Géric Clomes
‘The team are technically strong and have corporate and regulatory colleagues at hand to answer queries that straddle these areas of expertise.’
‘Lionel Vuidard’ss advice is detailed, usually pretty timely and I have confidence in its accuracy.’
‘High availability and high technicality of the team which is equally at ease with advice and litigation.’
‘Lionel Vuidard is extraordinary: calm, he manages a large team of associates and develops his activity with mastery. Always very professional, attentive, his humane, transversal and strategic vision of the matter make Lionel a real game changer. Géric Clomes follows in the footsteps of Lionel Vuidard with confidence and humility: available, very technically assured, he gradually asserts himself and forms an excellent pair with Lionel.’
Algeco Scotsman Group
Bank of America NA
DSI (DYWIDAG-Systems International GmbH)
New Look Retailers Ltd
Nuveen Real Estate Limited
Sotheby’s France SAS
TDR Capital LLP
XTX Markets Limited
- Advising Deutsche Bank Aktiengesellschaft regarding the implementation of a reorganisation, collective redundancy (PSE) and voluntary departure plan (PDV) involving part of a global reorganisation plan implemented at the level of the Deutsche Bank group.
- Advised New Look group in the context of its overall restructuring, including in particular the employment aspects of the restructuring of its French subsidiary comprised of 30 stores and approx. 500 employees, and subsequent litigation.
- Advising Jingye Group on the due diligence and negotiations with unions and the French government regarding the purchase of British Steel, including three steel mills located in the United Kingdom and the steel mill of Hayange in Moselle.
LPA-CGR avocats' team advises a prominent client base which notably includes leading banks, healthcare, retail and industrial companies. The versatile practice recently assisted several companies with the setting up of economic and social committees and dealt with sensitive contentious issues involving the French authorities (DIRECCTE) and other matters, such as the contentious payment of various expert fees. The practice also handled a major dispute concerning methods of calculation of paid indemnities in relation to a downsizing plan. Other key areas of expertise are advising on the employment aspects of M&A and property transactions led by the firm, the management of restructuring projects, and mobility and sensitive individual files. Karine Bézille and Alexandre Bensoussan are key members of the practice which also includes Françoise Pelletier, Sandra Hundsdörfer and Sophie Marinier. Counsel Rudy Jourdan also deserves a mention.
Alexandre Bensoussan; Karine Bézille
Other key lawyers:
Françoise Pelletier; Sandra Hundsdörfer; Sophie Marinier; Rudy Jourdan
‘Professionalism, responsiveness, availability, good ability to listen and advise accordingly.’
‘Speed, excellence of expertise and analysis.’
EnBW (Energies Baden-Württemberg AG)
LINDT & SPRÜNGLI
BNP PARIBAS PERSONAL FINANCE
- Advising Groupe Casino in connection with agreement with Aldi France for the sale of Leader Price stores and warehouses in mainland France for €735m.
- Advised EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG on the acquisition of the French developer and operator of wind and solar farms Valeco.
- Advised the Compexposium group on several acquisitions of French companies in the same field of activities.
Racine’s team is increasingly acting in challenging cases. The practice is very active in restructuring and workforce downsizing matters and offers strong experience in assisting debtors with insolvency proceedings, including dealing with mass redundancies and connected litigation. The team recently advised several insolvent companies, notably handling strategic work for press distributor Presstalis which employed more than a 1,000 employees and was facing critical insolvency proceedings. The practice also advises on M&A transactions and recently worked on an expected landmark listed transaction. The management of sensitive individual files and remuneration issues are also included in the group's portfolio. Major French and international companies are clients. Frédéric Broud, Carla Di Fazio Perrin, Sarah Usunier and Philippe Rogez are the heads of the practice.
Frédéric Broud; Sarah Usunier; Philippe Rogez; Carla Di Fazio Perrin
‘Excellent firm in employment law, both in managing individual and collective labour relations. Maître Philippe Rogez has an excellent knowledge of the banking sector and its practices. Pragmatic, he provides very good advice. He and his associates show pragmatism while protecting the interests of the company.’
‘A very available team that works with its clients on finding solutions.’
‘Broad and transversal skills, a lot of pragmatism, very operational synthesis.’
‘Good responsiveness and legal technicality.’
‘Availability; good sense of service; flexible approach to adapt to operational challenges.’
‘The team is really brilliant; qualified, always available and pays great attention to details.’
‘Friendly, available, efficient, qualified, up to date with the latest legal trends and decisions, proactive, attentive.’
- Advising Presstalis Group on strategic and sensitive social issues as part of the various insolvency proceedings.
- Advising Éclair Cinéma on the management of all social aspects of the insolvency proceedings and the implementation of redundancies during the observation period.
Vivant Avocats was born from the spin-off of former Vivant Chiss in June 2020. The employment law boutique houses a highly experienced team who handle both collective and individual files. The practice is recommended for its strong know-how in managing major reorganisation projects and mass litigation, as well as its expertise in assisting with the employment aspects of major M&A transactions, including involving listed companies. Recently, the firm advised on several major downsizing projects and M&A transactions as well as a mass litigation for key client SFR concerning some 5,000 employees. The practice also provided key support during the Covid-19 first lockdown on issues such as part-time work, remote working and virus testing of employees. Practice head Antoine Vivant is highly regarded. Also recommended are Caroline Merle and Bertrand Castex who both made partner in 2020. Associate Emmanuel de Montalembert also deserves a mention.
Other key lawyers:
Caroline Merle; Bertrand Castex; Emmanuel de Montalembert
‘Highly available team even outside normal working hours. A direct and easy contact. The firm provides clear, concrete and adapted solutions. Caroline Merle is very thorough and always available.’
‘Highly precise jurisprudence analysis and excellent pleading skills. Highly responsive. Antoine Vivant is a remarkable expert in his field.’
‘Very creative and responsive. Ability to innovate. In-depth analysis.’
‘A very responsive and adaptable team which provides strong guidance.’
ALTICE MEDIA GROUP (RMC/BFM TV)
- Assisted CMA CGM with the €1.47bn acquisition and integration of the CEVA Group.
- Advising on a mass litigation related to the implementation of a voluntary redundancy plan of the Telecom Pole of Altice France (SFR).
- Assisting Altice Media Group with the restructuring of its activities leading to the implementation of a voluntary redundancy plan.
Allen & Overy LLP
Allen & Overy LLP’s team has recently been in high demand for strategic advice during the Covid-19 first lockdown, and notably assisted a major retail company with related strategic collective issues. The team, whose activity is mainly stand-alone, advises a high number of US, UK and other foreign companies and financial institutions, as well as several major French companies. It leads a balanced collective and individual employment law practice which includes litigation. The recent caseload saw the team act in several major restructuring and collective redundancy projects, including a notable one in the media sector. In addition, the team is regularly appointed to handle highly strategic corporate governance, high-executive termination and remuneration issues, and sensitive individual situations such as whistle-blowing and harassment allegation cases. It also helps to conduct internal investigations. Assistance with the employment aspects of strategic corporate transactions is also provided. Claire Toumieux directs the team. Olivier Picquerey made partner in May 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘A real international team which allows European groups to have a precise, pragmatic analysis of the various laws. One of the only transnational teams specializing in employment law on the European market! Claire Tourmieux is always relevant.’
‘The team is quick to respond and provides excellent and clear legal advice.’
‘The team is highly knowledgeable and practical. They know our French subsidiary well, communicate effectively, and respond quickly to our requests.’
‘The whole client team has taken the time to understand our business, the relevant collective bodies and the way we like to approach matters. This helps to make our time more efficiently spent when new issues arise.’
‘We very much appreciate senior associate Susan Ekrami’s ability to convey French legal matters to us. Susan’s responsiveness and ability to collaborate sets her apart from our prior experience in France.’
Caisse des dépôts et consignations (CDC)
TUI – Corsair
- Representing Casil Europe in litigation initiated by trade unions to suspend the sale by Casil of the Toulouse airport.
- Assisting Caisse des dépôts et consignations with the acquisition of a majority stake in the capital of La Poste.
- Advised TUI Group on the sale of a majority stake in its French airline Corsair to German investor INTRO Aviation.
Altana's client base includes many leading French and international corporations that entrust their collective and individual files to the team. The group notably manages several disputes concerning several hundred employees and collective dismissal and bonus payment issues. The practice is also assisting press distributor company Presstalis, which has been put under insolvency proceedings, with the dismissal of some 600 employees. Additionally, the team takes on sensitive individual files, dealing with top executives’ departures and other types of matters such as moral and sexual harassment cases. Mickaël d’Allende and Pierre Lubet are in charge.
Mickael d’Allende; Pierre Lubet
EUROPE 1 – LAGARDERE
LA BANQUE POSTALE
FEDERATION DU CRISTAL ET DU VERRE
- Representing TUI in a dispute with a trade union representing several hundred employees concerning the payment of a thirteenth month bonus.
- Advising Airbus Group, particularly on several ongoing litigations with executives.
- Representing Europe 1 in two high-profile proceedings before the Prud’hommes (French employment tribunal) with two past radio presenters, relating to questions of principle related to the radio presenters’ employment status.
Baker McKenzie is particularly recommended for handling large-scale cross-border projects. The firm offers a solid bench that often handles the French aspects of global M&A transactions. For instance, the Paris team assisted KKR with the management of the French employment aspects of its acquisition of Coty. The practice handles individual and collective work. It recently assisted several corporations with collective redundancy projects and advised a major company on the hiring of its new CEO. Large French and international corporations are clients, including several leading pharmaceutical laboratories. Olivier Vasset, Denise Broussal and Gilles Jolivet co-manage the practice. Jérémie Paubel and Nadège Dallais are other key members.
Olivier Vasset; Gilles Jolivet; Denise Broussal
Other key lawyers:
Jérémie Paubel; Nadège Dallais
‘Availability and responsiveness. good spirit of collaboration with other internal and external legal teams.’
‘Partner Gilles Jolivet is open-minded, optimistic and responsive.’
‘The Baker McKenzie team is well resourced, responsive and experienced.’
‘Denise Broussal is an experienced labour lawyer who is able to provide clear guidance in complex situations. Nadège Dallais is a commercially-minded partner and gives practical advice. Marie-Amelie Roger is a very capable associate, adept at managing complex day-to-day matters.’
Computer Task Group
Schülke & Mayr GmbH (Air Liquide)
Symphony Technology Group
- Providing ongoing assistance to Air Liquide, a French industrial gas specialist, on the French employment aspects related to the global spin off and subsequent sale of its German subsidiary Schülke & Mayr GmbH to the Swedish capital investment company EQT.
- Providing ongoing assistance to software company SAP SE on the French aspects of the sale of the communication unit SAP Digital Interconnect (‘SDI’) to Sinch AB and consultation of employee representatives.
- Providing ongoing assistance to Symphony Technology Group, a private equity firm focused on innovative software, on all French employment aspects of the €2bn acquisition of RSA, a Dell company specialised in cybersecurity.
Coblence Avocats solid team assists many leading French and international corporations from various sectors, including the hospitality, retail and TMT sectors, with a number of Japanese players among them. The firm is also well known for its strong expertise in the TV and media sector. Recently, the caseload included matters pertaining to the first Covid-19 lockdown, restructuring, downsizing and other sensitive collective litigation work. It was notably involved in the plant shut down of a foreign industrial company which made headlines in France. The team also handles the employment law aspects of M&A and private equity transactions, and advises CEOs and other top executives on strategic individual and collective issues. Practice heads Elisabeth Laherre, Catherine Davico-Hoarau, Chantal Giraud-van Gaver, Laurent Guardelli and Martine Riou are all excellent lawyers.
Catherine Davico-Hoarau; Chantal Giraud-van Gaver; Laurent Guardelli; Elisabeth Laherre; Martine Riou
‘A highly experienced team; strong personal implication of partners; strong listening skills and a willingness to know their clients well; fine technique and fine understanding of employment relationships.’
‘Very strong client service. Practical advice’.
‘Takes into consideration its clients’ environment to provide practical and well-informed advice.’
‘Each matter is dealt with with great care and in consideration of the clients’ environment.’
‘An available, responsive and practical team which provides well-adapted advice.’
‘Elisabeth Laherre and Catherine Davico-Hoarau demonstrate strong human skills and provide clear and responsive answers.’
‘Elisabeth Laherre has extensive experience, is highly available and thorough. Her clients always get a precise idea of possible solutions.’
‘Martine Riou is highly available and efficient.’
Alcatel submarine networks
Mac Donald’s France services
Althea Healthcare Group
- Advising the French subsidiary of a leader in European equities in connection with its redundancy schemes in France.
- Advising an individual on various issues relating to dismissals, governance matters and compliance.
- Advising the French subsidiary of a leading cable manufacturer in connection with its litigation about a group agreement about gender pay equality.
Headed by Philippe Rozec, the team at De Pardieu Brocas Maffei advises many leading French corporations, especially in the construction and engineering sector. The practice notably assists with the negotiation of collective agreements, the management of restructuring projects and sensitive individual files. It also provided assistance to key clients on Covid-19-related issues such as part time working schemes. The practice also recently worked on a major insolvency case in the retail sector and on M&A transactions alongside colleagues from the corporate and real estate departments. Counsels Elise Bénéat, Isabelle Dauzet and Louise Thiébaut are involved.
Other key lawyers:
Elise Bénéat; Isabelle Dauzet; Louise Thiébaut
‘Committed to clients.’
‘Philippe Rozec is down-to-earth, eager to help and positive.’
‘Out of the box approach; goes beyond our expectations; a lot of experience; excellent strategic vision; very responsive team.’
‘Philippe Rozec is a very experienced lawyer with a very pragmatic approach to cases. He is also an excellent manager and team leader. Louise Thiébaut is an experienced lawyer who is used to dealing with international and complex cases. Isabelle Dauzet has a very thorough strategic approach and is very easy to work with.’
‘Very good team that responds clearly and concisely to the many questions asked. In addition, the entire team responds quickly to various requests.’
‘’Lawyers are responsive and provide a 360 degree view allowing clients to make decisions.’
‘Very up-to-date, highly technical.’
‘Philippe Rozec is remarkable; he provides constant questioning to always go further and respond as closely as possible to the interests of his clients. Very pragmatic.’
- Advising In’Li, from Action Logement Group, on the social impacts of a project of contribution of assets to a development real estate company, dedicated to the management of a strategic projects and the creation of new intermediate housing units.
- Advising the private equity portfolio of UI-Gestion on the management of all employment aspects of the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advising pan-European investment firm Ergon Capital Partners IV SCSp on the signature of a partnership agreement to further pursue the growth of Haudecoeur SAS, the leading player in the oriental food market.
Dechert LLP has particular expertise in new working arrangements, such as remote working, mobility, and arrangements involving health issues which became particularly relevant during the Covid-19 pandemic. The firm also regularly advises on sensitive restructuring and M&A projects, with a recent stand-out matter for a major company that was facing debt restructuring proceedings. The practice is also retained by its key clients to coordinate cross-border projects and is particularly acknowledged for its high proficiency in the management of sensitive individual files. Compliance, data protection and litigation are also dealt with, as are sensitive strike situation and age discrimination issues. Lately the team also provided assistance on Brexit issues. Practice head Philippe Thomas and Thibault Meiers, who made national partner in January 2020, are recommended.
Other key lawyers:
‘Dechert’s strength lies in the management of complex individual files concerning senior executives and managers.’
‘It is very appreciable to work with Philippe Thomas – obviously an expert in his field and able to interact in perfect English. His team is also very competent, particularly Thibault Meie,r who has remarkable expertise in labour law.’
‘Great team; high-level of competence, adaptive and responsive.’
‘There is always someone to answer a question when you pick up the phone.’
‘Individuals understand our market and industry which make them able to provide tailored and market-friendly advice.’
‘The team is incredible. They are always reactive and provide very detailed and clear answers to all our questions. Having their support is crucial to us, they are amazing partners. Compared to competitors, they are easily available.’
‘We really appreciate the quality of the support; they always have strong arguments.’
‘The team understands our business and gives easy to understand advice.’
‘They have good expertise and ability to communicate in a way that is easy for us to understand. We often contact them looking for advice within very short notice and they always respond.’
‘Philippe Thomas’ team has been carefully selected and trained by Philippe to provide top notch legal advice to clients.’
‘Philippe Thomas is simply the best employment lawyer I have ever worked with: very knowledgeable about his business and market trends, client-focused, friendly to work with. I can only recommend him.’
‘Dechert assists us with all topics with high professionalism, good listening skills and is open to discuss and find creative solutions. They are available at all times and show good reactivity.’
- Advised SnapCar, the private car service specialist for business travellers, on employment law in connection with its acquisition of LeCab’s private car service business from Voxtur.
- Assisted Canadian Group Sani-Marc with complex employment arrangements relating to its acquisition of the assets of French company Copak, a manufacturer of high-end innovative maintenance products.
France’s new major employment law boutique FACTORHY was founded in 2019 by several of former key Fromont Briens’ partners and associates, namely Grégory Chastagnol, Benjamin Desaint, Leslie Nicolai, Alexandre Roumieu and Uriel Sansy, along with Laurent Gamet who was one of Flichy Grangé Avocats’ top partners. The team also includes former Fromont Briens’ members Quentin Frisoni and Pauline Larroque-Daran. The large boutique advises a prominent client base of large SMEs and leading French and international companies. The practice is entrusted to handle the employment aspects of major corporate and M&A transactions, including complex carve-out transactions., and handles strategic collective and individual files. The team is also experienced in major downsizing projects and mass litigation and in the field of social security contributions. Disputes between clients and the French social security tax agency URSSAF are another busy line of work.
Other key lawyers:
Grégory Chastagnol; Benjamin Desaint; Leslie Nicolaï; Alexandre Roumieu; Uriel Sansy; Laurent Gamet; Quentin Frisoni; Pauline Larroque-Daran
- Assisting Tereos with its criminal procedure, professional sick leave and gross negligence procedures.
- Provided legal and social support during the takeover of Candy Hoover by Haier Europe, including providing an operational support about the information and consultation process toward the employees’ representative bodies.
- Advised Groupe Guisnel on a tax adjustment from the French social security agency.
FIDAL stands out for its unmatched regional footprint: the firm has employment law expertise available across its 90 offices in Paris and the regions. The very big team assists SMEs and large companies with all types of collective and individual issues, from day-to-day to major projects. Recently, the firm notably advised high-profile pharmaceutical and aviation clients on restructuring projects, including the lay off of staff following insolvency proceedings. Stéphane Béal manages the team. Other key members team include Parisian-based partners Hubert de Frémont, Caroline Ferte and Patricia Rotermund, the Lille-based Grégory Olczak-Godefert, the Lyon-based Anne Imbert and Antoine Jouhet, and Didier Millot in Nancy.
Other key lawyers:
Hubert de Frémont; Caroline Ferte; Patricia Rotermund; Grégory Olczak-Godefert; Anne Imbert; Antoine Jouhet; Didier Millot
‘Fidal stands out for the quality of its relationship and advice, its understanding of our activity, and its availability.’
‘Antoine Jouhet and Romain Geller are available, knowledgeable and understand our business and its challenges. They demonstrate great openness and an ability to find solutions to any subject, going beyond the purely employment law framework.’
- Advising Laboratoires Expanscience on the implementation and follow-up of a redundancy plan concerning its medical sales representative team.
- Advised Cristal Union on various matters, including an addendum to a jobs and skills management agreement.
- Advised Aigle Azur on claims brought by its employees following the compulsory liquidation of the company.
Franklin reshaped its employment law team in 2020: former team members Claire Fougea and of counsel Marion Briere Segala joined Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP, but as former firm original founding partner Patrick Thiébart (ex Jeantet) came back to co-head the practice together with Myriam de Gaudusson (ex De Gaulle Fleurance & Associés) the firm gained two excellent practitioners. The team advises a prominent client base and is already managing a high amount of strategic restructuring projects, including workforce downsizing projects involving several hundreds of employees and site closures. In addition, the practice also offers strong know-how in dealing with sensitive individual litigation, notably in relation to high-level executives, discrimination and sexual harassment files. Compliance advice and remote working issues in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic are also offered.
Myriam de Gaudusson; Patrick Thiébart
‘Patrick Thiébart shows great responsiveness and provides superb practical advice.’
‘Myriam de Gaudusson provides remarkable support and keeps her clients well updated.’
Gibson Dunn launched its practice at the end of 2019 after hiring Nataline Fleury who joined from Ashurst LLP. Since her arrival, the practice wasted no time building the firm an impressive track record in managing the employment aspects of companies facing debt restructuring and insolvency proceedings. Acting alongside the firm’s first-rate insolvency and restructuring team, the employment practice has been involved in a number high-profile insolvency cases, acting for debtors and trustees (administrateurs judiciaires) on the implementation of several large-scale workforce downsizing plans and in related litigation, notably in the retail area. In addition, the team advised on the employment aspects of M&A and private equity transactions and assisted clients with Covid-19 pandemic connected issues.
Apollo Management International
- Advised Eaton Corporation on the employment aspects of its $920m acquisition of Souriau–Sunbank Connection Technologies from TransDigm Group Inc.
- Advised Hologic, the NASDAQ-listed medical technology company, on the employment aspects of its acquisition of France-based innovator in cart-based ultrasound products SuperSonic Imagine.
- Assisting Orchestra-Prémaman with the employment aspects of the reorganisation of its workforce and its ongoing insolvency procedure.
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP
Herbert Smith Freehills LLP provided high-level assistance with the management of Covid-19-related employment issues, such as the implementation of part time work, the reopening of retail shops and the management of crisis situations. Brexit also kept the practice busy, in particular advising leading financial institutions with their issues, such as the setting up of new branches and the transfer of employees. The team is particularly expert at handling cross-border issues, including in restructuring matters, and also deals with sensitive individual litigation. Lead duo Sophie Brézin and Emma Röhsler, who is dual-qualified as a lawyer in France and England and Wales, is in charge. Of counsel Elisabeth Debrégeas also contributes.
Emma Röhsler; Sophie Brezin
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is unique in its strong knowledge of laws regarding financial institutions.’
‘Emma Rohsler is very supportive and business-oriented. She quickly gets the problems at hand and knows what to do.’
‘The HSF team is multidisciplinary and fully bilingual, which makes it possible to cover a wide spectrum of issues encountered by French companies that are part of international groups. Benefiting from recognised experience and expertise, the team informs, advises and alerts on various risk scenarios allowing informed decision-making.’
‘Sophie Brezin, partner, is just fantastic and terribly efficient with professionalism and positive energy! Elisabeth Debrégeas is remarkably and formidably efficient.’
‘Emma Röhsler shows excellent listening skills and strong skills in social and labor law, is perfectly bilingual and has a strong international background’
BAE Applied Intelligence Systems
- Advised Altran Technologies as part of the friendly tender offer initiated by Capgemini on 100% of its share capital and voting rights (including on the employment aspects).
- Advising Sanofi on a major worldwide project to harmonise their employment contractual documentation and introduce electronic signatures for key employment documentation.
- Advised ENGIE on its acquisition of the Renvico group which develops and operates wind farms in France and Italy.
Jones Day is able to handle the full range of individual and collective issues. The practice assists large French and international companies from a various sectors, with a number of instructions involving mass redundancies and plant closure projects. The team also has particular expertise in dealing with sensitive health and safety issues, such as the management of mass asbestos-related cases for several clients and complex situations regarding psycho-social risks. The team also assists companies with the management of individual harassment and discrimination cases and provides key guidance on compliance and whistle-blowing issues. Emmanuelle Rivez-Domont and Jean-Michel Bobillo co-head the practice.
Emmanuelle Rivez-Domont; Jean-Michel Bobillo
‘Jones Day clearly falls into the category of full-service law firms with a strong and wide coverage of labour and employment law aspects, in France andworldwide.’
‘What makes them unique is their ability to set up global teams of experts in order to address multi-jurisdictional matters, including in the expatriation and social security fields.’
‘Partner Jean-Michel Bobillo is able to handle and coordinate complex domestic as well as transnational labour and employment matters in a seamless way. He delivers tailor-made work and knows how to find the right balance between technical advice and business strategy.’
‘Fantastic availability and turnaround times for complicated requests; ability to coordinate multiple counsels; high quality and consistent end product and advice.’
‘Emmanuelle Rivez-Domont and Alice Klein have both demonstrated exceptional client care. Their response times, communication and availability have been of the highest level.’
Karman Associés is the result of the merger of former employment boutique Vivant Chiss following its spin-off in June 2020 with a private equity and corporate boutique led by Carine Rohou-Borsello and François Brocard. The employment team combines acts for prominent companies, notably on major restructuring, M&A and litigation work. It is notably defending Iliad’s call center provider Mobipel in dealing with a high-stakes criminal trial led by the labour inspection authorities, the unions and the public prosecutor accusing the company of undertaking a disguised redundancy plan. The firm also provided key support during the first Covid-19 lockdown. Romain Chiss, Florence Froment-Meurice and Erwan Jaglin co-head the practice.
Romain Chiss; Erwan Jaglin; Florence Froment-Meurice
- Advised the French State on the framework of the strategic reorganisation project of the SNCF.
- Advised Manpower France on litigation proceedings against a trade union organisation for libeling the employer in the context of the electoral campaign.
- Assisting FNB Private Equity with setting up a contractual mechanism for sharing capital gains from the sale of shares.
Latham & Watkins‘ compact team is entrusted by leading corporations and investment funds for their strategic projects. The practice notably handles the employment law aspects of the firm’s M&A and private equity transactions, including large LBO transactions. On a stand-alone basis, the practice has recently been busy advising on major restructuring and site closure projects. It also assisted several leading financial institutions with the setting up of their France-based operations in relation to Brexit. The team is also managing a long-running dispute concerning the contentious payment of bonuses dating back from the subprime crisis. Practice head Matthias Rubner is a safe pair of hands. Marion Guertault, who joined the practice early 2020 as counsel, went back to Hogan Lovells (Paris) LLP in autumn 2020 as partner.
‘Matthias Rubner is very responsive, provides highly professional experienced employment law advice, and is a pleasure to work with.’
‘The team is excellent. At Latham & Watkins, there is no surprise, all lawyers are extremely good.’
‘Matthias Rubner is a living encyclopedia. When you have a question, you call him, and you have a direct answer, and then you receive an e-mail confirming the advice or recommendation. Extremely happy with the quality of the services delivered.’
Mayer Brown has recently been particularly solicited by clients to assist with Covid-19 related issues, such as the implementation of remote working schemes. The team has also handled a high amount of restructuring work, including advising on significant projects in the aviation, automobile and hospitality sectors. Other work includes advising on the employment aspects of M&A transactions and the management of collective and individual employment litigation files, for example involving sexual harassment accusations involving key executives. Finally, the practice offers a strong international employee shareholding plans expertise, notably assisting Safran with the implementation of a such plan across 16 countries. Sébastien Delaunay, who made partner in January 2021, has particular strength in this area. Julien Haure and Régine Goury are the heads of the practice.
Julien Haure; Régine Goury
Other key lawyers:
‘Julien Haure is practical, efficient, and an excellent problem solver. Delivers outstanding results in a cost-effective manner. I trust him with all of my most difficult matters.’
‘Extremely efficient, responsive, and great at driving matters to completion in a cost-effective way.’
‘High responsiveness, true understanding of clients’ needs, sound advising, and able to come up with creative solutions.’
‘Julien Haure is a sage employment practitioner, but what truly sets him apart is his ability to apply creativity in his advising.’
‘Extremely professional, very technical, efficient, responsive labour law team, very well led by Régine Goury.’
‘Régine Goury has encyclopedic and always up-to-date knowledge of labour law, both in advice and in litigation.’
‘Julien Haure and his team of employment lawyers are professional, responsive, think outside the box and with their proactive approach and creative thinking they have brought many complex, sensitive issues to successful resolution. Julien and Mayer Brown understand Anglo-American business culture and take an assertive, pragmatic and solutions-driven stance to navigate French employment law.’
‘Julien Haure is a creative, pragmatic, results-driven lawyer and a very good relationship builder.’
‘Mayer Brown’s employment law practice is excellent. Julien Haure brought me not only technical expertise in employment law, but also qualities of negotiation, psychology and empathy. For me, this practice is therefore unique because it knows how to combine technicality at the highest level with a real understanding of human and negotiation issues.’
‘What distinguishes Julien Haure from his competitors is his emotional intelligence, his qualities of empathy, his understanding of the psychological mechanisms, in addition to the excellence of his legal technicality.’
‘Excellent interpersonal skills and client orientation. The lawyers (Julien Haure and Pauline Disdier) listen, adapt, analyse each situation and provide us with answers that are always adapted and with a lot of professionalism, dedication and ethics.’
Amy’s Kitchen Inc.
- Advising Broadcom Inc. in connection with the acquisition of the Enterprise Security segment of Symantec and its integration within CA Technologies which involved the analysis of application of TUPE transfer.
- Advising AGPM in connection with a potential acquisition from Allianz and the potential collective transfer of employees under acquired rights regulations.
- Advising Safran on the legal and tax aspects of an international employee shareholding plan offered to more than 87,000 group employees in 16 countries.
Boutique firm MGG Voltaire assists French and international clients with the full range of expertise. It was recently in high demand for setting up companies’ social economic committees and for Covid-19 pandemic-related issues, such as the implementation of health and safety measures, employees’ furlough schemes, access to governmental wage support funds and reorganisation projects. The practice also has strong know-how in negotiating collective agreements and dealing with mass downsizing projects. It recently managed several high-profile restructuring projects in the retail sector. The firm, which has offices in Paris, Lyon and Lille, is co-headed by the seasoned Marijke Granier-Guillemarre, Loïc Héron and David Guillouet.
Marijke Granier-Guillemarre; Loïc Héron; David Guillouet
‘MGG Voltaire provides access to responsive, technically excellent senior lawyers at rates which are significantly lower than those in big name firms. Of pre-eminent importance is that the advice we receive is practical and clear, and delivered in excellent English.’
‘Marijke Granier-Guillemarre is a clear leader in her field. She is incisive, clear, empathetic, responsive and technically excellent.’
‘Associate Paul Romatet is very responsive, with a style that is friendly and practical. He has become a valued business partner.’
‘Large team of specialists offering excellent capabilities for domestic and international clients.’
‘The partners have great expertise and sector knowledge. Marijke Granier-Guillemarre is an excellent lawyer and can deal with the most technical of problems. Associate Alexandra Frelat is very reliable.’
‘Responsiveness and good distribution of skills allowing a wide spectrum of case management, both in terms of advice and litigation.’
‘David Guillouet shows friendliness and has very good knowledge of our company and its culture.’
‘Excellent partner-led service. MGG Voltaire remains laser-focused on securing our objectives as a client whilst mitigating our risks.’
‘Loïc Héron is an exceptional lawyer who understands the dynamics of our complex environment and partners and helps us to achieve our objectives whilst mitigating local risks in France.’
Toyota Material Handling
Bla Bla Car
Thermo Fisher Scientific
Misys (now Finastra)
Racing Club de Lens
- Advising Naf Naf on reorganisation and structuring in light of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising Naf Naf on its sale to management and SY as well as on the implementation of a mass redundancy plan.
- Advised various companies on furlough schemes.
International employment law boutique Ogletree Deakins's France presence is mainly based in Paris, but also offers smaller Lyon and Nantes antennas. The firm advises a high-profile client base, comprising leading US and Asian IT and digital companies, luxury good brands and leading banks. The firm offers the full range of individual and collective employment law expertise and recently assisted clients with Covid-19-related issues. It is also experienced in the management of highly sensitive individual litigation and in collective agreement negotiations and restructuring work. The practice is co-headed by Jean-Marc Albiol, Sophie Binder, Cécile Martin and Nicolas Peixoto who joined the partnership in January 2020. François Millet and special counsel Marc Desgranges joined Barthélémy Avocats in January 2021.
Jean-Marc Albiol; Sophie Binder; Cécile Martin; Nicolas Peixoto
‘Extremely responsive team, with a modern, very pragmatic approach.’
‘Accessible, responsive and integrate the constraints of their clients well.’
Pwc Société d'Avocats
Pwc Société d'Avocats is mainly based in Paris, with teams also located in the firm’s eight regional offices, including Strasbourg and Toulouse. Leading French and international corporations are clients, including clients originating from the firm’s international network. The practice mainly focuses on employment law advisory work and regularly provides assistance with M&A transactions, including due diligences, with several jumbo LBO transactions also under its belt. The group's busy restructuring expertise, major collective redundancies and plant closure projects pertaining to various industry sectors, such as the aviation, retail and pharmaceutical fields, account for another significant portion of the caseload. Bernard Borrely supervises the practice. Other key members include Aurélie Cluzel d’Andlau, who mainly advises on employment law issues connected to M&A transactions, and Corinne Guyot Chavanon, who is recommended for restructuring work. US- and French-qualified expert William Phillips advises on international mobility issues. Jérôme Cochet joined Lamartine Conseil at the end of 2019.
Other key lawyers:
Aurélie Cluzel d’Andlau; Corinne Guyot Chavanon; William Phillips
- Providing employment due diligence to CPP Investment Board in the context of the acquisition of Galileo Global Education.
- Providing employment due diligence for Elsan in relation with the disposal of the group, a major player in the healthcare sector in France, to KKR.
- Providing employment law due diligence to Vivendi SA in connection with the disposal of Universal Music.
Reinhart Marville Torre ‘s very experienced team advises a prominent client base which includes several blue-chip French companies specialising in various industries, including luxury-goods and banking, as well as major foreign corporations. The comprehensive practice handles collective and individual work and assists with restructuring and M&A projects. Lately, the practice also assisted clients with the negotiation of new working time agreements. The team offers strong litigation expertise, including in the management of sensitive cases dealing with individual and economic dismissals and working time issues, some involving criminal law aspects following labour authorities-led inspections. Finally, the group is adept at advising corporations or high-level executives with departures and exits of high-ranking officers. Olivier Bluche, Catherine Broussot-Morin and Soazig Preteseille Taillardat are recommended. Agathe Moreau has recognised expertise advising companies and insurers in managing sensitive issues arising from work accident, professional illness and gross negligence cases.
Olivier Bluche; Catherine Broussot-Morin; Soazig Préteseille-Taillardat; Agathe Moreau
AEG POWER SOLUTIONS
Mr X, partner of ROTHSCHILD MARTIN MAUREL
Jean-Jacques GAUTHIER / LAFARGE HOLCIM
- Advising the worldwide HR director of Yves Saint Laurent on strategic issues.
- Representing AEG in litigation proceedings against the work council regarding the homologation decision of a social plan of the labour inspector.
- Advising Thyssenkrupp Ascenseurs on the implementation of new working time organisation.
Simmons & Simmons
Led by Laurence Renard, Simmons & Simmons' team has a strong client base among leading banks and asset management firms whom the practice particularly assisted with Brexit-related issues, such as setting up of French branches and transfer of employees. The practice also assists numerous IT companies, leading digital platforms, start-ups and healthcare companies as part of its varied caseload. Recently, the group handled a good amount of mass downsizing work and acted on collective negotiations, M&A transactions and sensitive individual litigation involving senior executives. Counsel Claire Le Touzé and managing associate Julia Gori are key contributors.
Other key lawyers:
Claire Le Touzé; Julia Gori
‘The team has an in-depth knowledge of us and our risk appetite. The team is approachable, fun to work with and pragmatic.’
‘I really like working with Julia Gori. She is knowledgeable, willing to listen and identify practical solutions and her English language advice is well set out and reasoned. I value our partnership.’
‘The team is very available and very responsive. Dialogue and communication are excellent even in situations of extreme pressure. The team understands our internal issues and objectives very well and favors a pragmatic rather than a dogmatic approach.’
‘Laurence Renard intervenes with a lot of experience and pragmatism to offer adapted practical solutions which integrate business dimensions. Julia Gori shows availability and reactivity without limit and provides adapted and pragmatic advice.’
‘The team was extremely responsive to our requests.’
‘High-performing team, very quick turn-around, ready to go the extra mile.’
‘Laurence Renard and Claire Le Touzé are very knowledgeable and have a deep understanding of French employment law.’
‘Deep knowledge of legal practice, professional yet personal approach, answers always clear.’
‘We have been hugely impressed with Simmons & Simmons’ team. The team has provided invaluable support with excellent technical advice that is also commercial. Each member of the team we have worked with has been personable and we have enjoyed working them.’
‘Julia Gori is an incredible external counsel to partner with. She has in-depth knowledge and experience in advising international clients. Julia also provides advice in a clear and commercial manner, and is able to give an opinion based on the risk and objectives of the business. She is responsive and also a real pleasure to work with.’
- Advised Dentressangle, a family-investment holding company, on its acquisition of a majority stake in Marle, a leading orthopaedic implant manufacturer.
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
Led by highly qualified of counsel Philippe Desprès, the team at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP mainly advises on the firm’s high-profile M&A transactions, but also offers experience in advising on the employment law aspects of two major restructuring plans involving mass layoffs.
‘The advice and work provided are of an excellent quality as are our relationships and exchanges.’
The Walt Disney Company
International Paper Company
F.I.L.A. Fabbrica Italiana Lapis ed Affini S.p.A.
- Advised Dassault Systèmes SE on its acquisition of Medidata Solutions, Inc.
- Advised The Walt Disney Company on the sale of Disney Hachette Presse (DHP) to French publishing group Fleurus.
- Advised International Paper Company, a world leader in renewable fiber-based paper products, on the acquisition of two packaging businesses in North Western France and Portugal from DS Smith plc for €63m.
TNDA: Tuffal-Nerson Douarre & Associés is an employment law boutique which advises many prominent French companies from various sectors such as the banking and transport industries. The practice is regularly entrusted with high-level individual files, spanning issues such as harassment, reputation and whistle-blowing. It also manages major collective and restructuring work. The practice’s ability to combine high-level employment and criminal law earns it mandates on major cases. Another key area of expertise is health and safety issues, with asbestos-related cases as a key line of work. The partnership includes Martine Rivereau-Trzmiel, who often assists financial institutions with top management issues, Nicolas Durand-Gasselin and Guillaume Verdier, who has particular expertise in high financial stakes professional illnesses and accidents files. The highly regarded Véronique Tuffal-Nerson is regularly entrusted with strategic files, intervenes as mediator in complex files, and is currently working on emerging fields of law such as human rights law within the corporate world. Also recommended are of counsel Armelle Walters-Renaud, who provides complementary corporate law support, and new recruit Karine Pérotin, an experienced criminal law lawyer who joined in January 2020 from Lafarge Associés.
‘High level technique dealing with collective negotiations, restructuring, and security and health at work issues.’
‘Knowledgeable and responsive team. Reasonable fees.’
‘Practical advice and willingness to find solutions.’
‘Available, efficient and high-level professionalism.’
‘The firm always provides a solution and a clear opinion on matters.’
‘Véronique Tuffal-Nerson is an excellent lawyer from both an advisory or litigation standpoint. She is a true artist of the law and demonstrates high-level ability to come up with out of the box solutions.’
‘Guillaume Verdier is always very available and has immense expertise in dealing with highly technical files.’
‘Nicolas Durand-Gasselin is highly efficient and available. He is combative before courts and is also an excellent negotiator.’
UGGC Avocats’ team is led by three experienced partners who assist a prominent client base spanning various industries, including the luxury goods and hospitality sectors. The practice recently assisted clients with strategic work, such as advising on companies’ transformation and restructuring projects, governance and collective negotiations of new working time arrangements. Sophie Uettwiller, Jennifer Carrel and Karine Audouze are in charge.
Sophie Uettwiller; Jennifer Carrel; Karine Audouze
‘The collaboration with the employment law practice of UGGC is excellent. High availability and responsiveness, perfect understanding of client issues.’
‘Sophie Uettwiller knows perfectly how to manage a team. She listens to her clients and makes sure not only to understand and apprehend employment law subjects, but also her clients’ business.’
PIERRE & VACANCES
SPORTFIVE (FORMERLY LAGARDÈRE SPORTS AND ENTERTAINMENT)
- Supported LCL with the drafting of a trade union agreement and the follow-up of negotiations with trade union organisations concerning the implementation of LCL’s elected employee representatives.
- Advised Lidl on the design and implementation of its new social model.
- Advising the Ritz Hotel on the management of an individual top manager dispute and on the modification of the Ritz’s social status.
Vaughan Avocats' large team is mainly based in the Paris office, but also in Toulouse and Versailles. The firm assists leading corporations, specialising in various industry sectors, with collective and sensitive individual litigation. It recently assisted a major listed company with its strategic spin-off project. Key figures include Bruno Courtine, Thomas Fernandez-Boni, Bastien Ottaviani, Fabrice Perruchot, Paul Van Deth and Aude Serres van Gaver.
Paul van Deth; Bruno Courtine; Aude Serres van Gaver; Sandra Thiry; Kader Hamida; Bastien Ottoviani; Fabrice Perruchot; Thomas Fernandez-Boni; Cecile Cottin-Dusart; Jean-Charles de Bellefon
Headed by Alexandre Jaurett, White & Case LLP‘s team provides key support to the firm’s corporate and restructuring teams. The practice was recently involved in several major M&A and LBO transactions. In addition, the team also worked on major debt restructuring and insolvency proceedings, such as assisting Mr. Bricolage with the implementation of a redundancy project following the shutdown of several of its stores. The practice also handled some mass litigation. Valérie Ménard was promoted to partner in January 2021.
Other key lawyers:
Altor Equity Partners
GSO Capital Partners LP
Kraton Polymers Netherlands
Les Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques (DRT)
Oaktree Capital Management
Saudi Arabian Oil Company (Saudi Aramco)
Swedish Steel AB
Visteon Software Technologies
- Advising Goldman Sachs on its primary investment in BackMarket, a French e-commerce platform company, along with Eurazeo and Aglae Ventures as part of a Series C round financing of an aggregate amount of €110m.
- Advising DRT (‘Les Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques’) and its majority shareholder Ardian on Firmenich’s exclusive agreement to acquire DRT from Ardian, Tikehau Capital and family shareholders.
- Advising Nestlé S.A. on the employment aspects of the sale of a 60% stake of Herta to Casa Tarradellas.
‘An efficient, responsive and professional team.’
‘Muriel Pariente is brilliant, available and provides strong support.’
‘Muriel Pariente is highly available and listens to her clients. She constantly adapts to changes, is a real expert and is business-oriented.’
Caroline André-Hesse; Justine Coret
‘Very high availability and responsiveness of the team. Complete expertise in all areas of labour law.’
‘Caroline André Hesse: Ability to listen and support clients, remarkable availability.’
‘A very high level of legal expertise; knows how to clarify all the business impacts of the human resources legal processes.’
‘Ability to work in an international framework by integrating business constraints in addition to legal constraints. Ability to anticipate consequences. A pragmatic and operational approach in evolving or contradictory legal contexts between countries.’
‘Excellent in negotiating the departure of senior executives.’
‘Justine Coret is a formidable negotiator; nothing escapes her, she can’t be fooled.’
Sabine de Paillerets
Other key lawyers:
‘Always available and responsive and practical in their advice.’
‘Their expertise is based on real life practice that allows them to provide robust counsel and go beyond mastering the legislation. This expertise is coupled with interpersonal skills to understand client needs and navigate complex situations, as well as strong alternative thinking to define new solutions to unique cases. They bring innovative thinking to define solutions that could bring fiscal and social benefit to both parties in a complex labour law case’.
RITUALS COSMETICS FRANCE
- Defending Servair and Acna against the claims of more than 60 employees of a service provider company that has gone into receivership.
Other key lawyers:
Jérémie Boublil; Antoine Benoit; Bertrand Debosque
‘Highly reliable and responsive; concrete advice; very good knowledge of the business world and an excellent understanding of clients’ needs.’
‘We have been provided with outstanding legal support and remarkable dedication by Bertrand Debosque in Lille. The extremely strong and exceptional understanding of the French employment law aspects made a huge difference to the handling of our case. We were very pleased with the flexibility in the approach displayed by Bignon Lebray with respect to fee structure and billing.’
‘Bertrand Debosque has very rapidly become a trusted adviser.’
Logis Metropole Habitat du Nord
- Advising and assisting two HLM organizations in all the employment aspects inherent to a merger project.
- Assisting Berry Global after a working accident.
- Assisting Grimme with the drafting and conclusion of employment contracts.
Employment law boutique brL Avocats offers a main office in Paris and regional offices in Strasbourg, Annecy, Vannes, Bordeaux, Lille and Montpellier. The firm advises a large and prominent client base and notably assists clients with the negotiation and amendments of collective status, notably in relation to working time issues. It also regularly provides assistance with restructuring projects, including employee transfers and site closure. The key partners are Jean d’Aleman, practice head Nicolas Czernichow, Thomas Godey , Thomas Humbert, Véronique Martin-Bozzi , Saïd Sadaoui and Henri Guyot. Guillaume Brédon founded Edgar Avocats in December 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Jean d’Aleman; Thomas Godey; Thomas Humbert; Véronique Martin-Bozzi; Saïd Sadaoui; Henri Guyot
‘Very good responsiveness and precision.’
‘ Henri Guyot is professional, friendly and responsive.’
‘The team is versatile and responsive.’
‘Reactivity and knowledge.’
‘Thomas Godey is always available and responsive.’
‘Excellent client knowledge. Their availability, responsiveness and social engineering make them partners of very high quality and trust.’
‘Jean d’Aleman has good listening skills and provides great availability. His past experience in a company means that he knows what he is talking about and is perceived as a credible interlocutor The members of the teams systematically come back to us with operational advice that can be applied directly.’
VINCI (various subsidiaries)
GENERAL MILLS AND YOPLAIT
CERBA HEALTHCARE / CERBALLIANCE GROUP
AGCS (Allianz Group Corporate Specialty)
CREDIT AGRICOLE IMMOBILIER
DANONE SA, DANONE WATERS, SAEME VOLVIC
ZADIG & VOLTAIRE
DS SMITH PACKAGING
LAGARDERE TRAVEL RETAIL
- Acting for SNCF in a matter involving the first vote concerning psycho-social risks by a CSE.
- Assisting Cerba HealthCare with various issues associated with the Covid-19 crisis.
- Advising MedDay on a critical situation which forced the company into short-time working, a potential sale and eventually the closure of the company.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP
Claire Fougea; Marion Brière Ségala
- Advising Nestlé on the employment law issues associated with various corporate restructuring projects, on the departures of a number of high-level company directors in France, and on employment disputes.
- Advising DCI on dismissals on economic grounds and assisting with labour court disputes.
- Advising Smart Trade Technologies on the negotiation of a company collective agreement on working time.
Cabinet Cloix & Mendès-Gil
‘Léa Duhamel has perfect legal knowledge and is highly available.’
Charles Russell Speechlys
‘They have a very commercial approach and work hard to understand their clients’ business and apply their advice in a pragmatic and goal-focused way’.
‘The team is available, has good technique and provides practical analyses and oriented advice.’
‘Kim Campion understands the business environment. He is proactive.’
Abbott (ex Alere)
Relx UK Ltd
Sogecap (Groupe Société Générale)
The Continuity Company (TCC)
- Advised Berner on the negotiation of a supplementary profit sharing collective agreement in the context of a tax reassessment in Germany impacting the French subsidiaries’ financial results.
- Advised Molex on a global workforce restructuring triggering in France the termination of an entire team of engineers dedicated to a specific product.
- Advising Abbott on the integration of Alere into Abbott and dealing with various redundancies/dismissals.
‘Great expertise in employment restructuring projects.’
‘François Farmine knows our files perfectly. His advice is extremely valued and permits concrete application.’
Amazon France Logistique
Hanon Systems Charleville
Visteon Electronics France
Beckman Coulter France
- Assisting the Amazon Group with a summary proceedings linked to the Covid-19 epidemic and opposing a French subsidiary to several unions and employee representative bodies which claimed that all the safety measures necessary in the context of the epidemic were not implemented.
- Assisting the Wanzl group with a reorganisation project of its activities in France, including the cut of 79 job positions.
- Assisting the Schaeffler Group with disputes lodged by 339 former employees regarding damages owed due to the closure of the production plant of Continental France located in Clairoix.
Cohen & Gresser LLP
Other key lawyers:
‘The team was very available and very involved throughout the case. It was efficient and pragmatic when needed. Very high professionalism.’
‘Angéline Duffour has a very good overview of the files and issues, both on M&A and restructuring projects and disputes. She is very involved in cases and is an excellent tactician in difficult situations. She negotiates in the best interests of clients.’
- Assisting Provadys with its employment and corporate projects and matters, including the acquisition and merger of its group of companies with Group XP (NetXP).
‘A highly professional team demonstrating high pugnacity and creativity. They provide high-level advice.’
‘Hélène Daher is highly invested in each matter. She demonstrates remarkable availability and responsiveness.’
‘High quality standards in term of responsiveness and quality of advice.’
‘Hélène Daher has high-level technique and is a great negotiator.’
‘Personnalised and individualised approach.’
‘Hélène Daher has remarkable experience. She quickly understands issues at stake and addresses them in an efficient and concrete manner.’
La Parisienne Assurances
San Régis Hotel
Poltrona Frau Group
- Assisting ALK Abello with the reshuffling of working time organisation and the consultation on strategic orientations.
- Advised Kantar Group on numerous employment-related matters.
- Advising Covage networks on day-to-day and complex employment law questions, in particular regarding profit-sharing, relations with trade unions and litigation.
CE LIGNES AIR FRANCE
DOMITYS / GROUPE AEGIDE
TIFFANY & CO.
UEFA (Union of European Football Association)
- Advising Blatchford on reorganising its French activity.
- Assisting Autovista with all contentious and non-contentious employment law matters.
- Advising Celio on collective employment matters on a day-to-day basis, as well as on individual litigation.
Déborah Attali; Myrtille Lapuelle
‘Strong personal approach of the team as well as availability at all times. Technical knowledge and advice, always precise. Eversheds always produces an exceptional result.’
- Advised Teledyne on the consultation of employees in relation to its $230m acquisition of the French assets of 3M’s gas and flame detection business.
- Advised Optimas on the sale of part of its French business relating to certain industrial customers, to Accursia Capital.
Grant Thornton Société d’Avocats
‘Caroline Luche-Rocchia is dynamic, attentive, offering innovative and pragmatic solutions going well beyond advice in employment law. Excellent work and understanding of the issues. It is unusual to find this kind of practice in an accounting and auditing firm like Grant Thornton and this team deserves to be known.’
‘Caroline Luche-Rocchia is recommended for her ability to think with different hats and not just as an employment lawyer.’
‘Me Cécile Didolot was exceptional. Me Sylvie Scelles-Tave was also of great help in supporting us in difficult decisions.’
La Tarte Tropézienne
Les Autocars Suzanne
Don’t Not Entertainment (DNE)
Toyoda Gosei UK Ltd
Bank of Communications (BOCOM)
Les Cars Bleus / Cars Blues
Bank of Ireland
CIE des Filles de la Charité
Sologne Operating II
- Assisting LBO Qarnot Computing with legal & tax due diligence.
- Assisting Anjac avec Roval with legal & tax due diligence.
- Assisting Metaline with legal & tax due diligence.
Albane Eglinger; Olivier Masi
- Advised Latour Capital on the reorganisation of the shareholding of wealth management group Primonial Group.
- Advised US private investment firm JC Flowers on the sale of its shares in Financière CEP.
- Advised the founding shareholders of jewelery company Mauboussin on the majority takeover of Galeries Lafayette Group.
Christine Hillig-Poudevigne; Sophie Lemaître
‘The team provides perfect follow-up. Deadlines are always respected.’
‘The team always comes up with a relevant strategy that defends its clients’ interests at best.’
‘A very dynamic team, very pleasant and warm to work with. They have great listening skills and are easy to deal with.’
‘An ultra competent team. They know the smallest details of a file at hand. They have excellent oral and writing skills and speak excellent English.’
‘A responsive firm, close to its clients that provides personalised advice. They are open-minded and always take clients’ advice and ideas into account to devise adapted solutions.’
Other key lawyers:
‘They are responsive and clear in their advice.’
‘Sabine Smith-Vidal is a critical partner for us. She is business-minded and provides practical solutions/recommendations. She is truly a member of the team as we navigate the legal, employee and business landscape.’
Amazon Web Services
UGI Corp. (Antargaz/Finagaz)
- Advising Otis on separation agreements with very senior executives in France and negotiation of highly confidential and complex separation agreements.
- Advising Curium in connection with the reorganisation of the business in relation to an M&A transaction.
- Assisting Amazon with redrafting its collective agreement on working time and the continuation of activity during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Maxime Pigeon; Jérôme Scapoli
‘A responsive team which demonstrates good understanding of employment strategies.’
REMA TIP TOP
- Advised Hachette on all labour law aspects in both advisory and litigation matters.
- Advised Norwegian Air Resources on a day-to-day basis, especially as regards air traffic shutdown due to the Covid-19 situation.
- Advised Novo Nordisk on strategic projects related to employment issues in France, in Europe and in the Maghreb.
Paul Hastings LLP
‘The support we receive from Paul Hastings is excellent. They respond quickly and timely to our queries, provide comprehensive and thorough answers and readily make themselves available for further questions or discussions. Their expertise in the area of employment law and employee relations is superb and I have confidence in the accuracy and quality of the information provided.’
‘Stephane Henry and Alexandre Ruiz are outstanding individuals, both personally and professionally. I value their patience and efforts to ensure we have a clear understanding of the matter at hand, what options are available and what risks each choice may contain. Their responses to our queries are thoughtful and thorough, demonstrating the effort taken in supporting our needs.’
Amundi Private Equity
- Advised Principal in connection with its acquisition of the Cour des Loges hotel.
- Advised Franfinance in connection with its acquisition of ITL, an equipment leasing specialist in the health, environmental and industrial sectors, currently owned by Banque Française Mutualiste.
- Advised Keensight Capital on all stages of its leveraged buy-out of Sogelink, the France-based vertical software solutions provider for infrastructure sector professionals.
‘Precise, available and efficient.’
‘Detailed analysis and great response time.’
‘Aurélie Fournier is excellent and a fine negotiator. François Troadec is also very good.’
- Advised Wendel following the departure of the Group Deputy CEO.
- Assisting BNPP with its project of adapting agency timetables.
- Advised Casino on the labour aspects of its €735m sale to Aldi.
SCP Bardavid Tourneur
Jean-François Tourneur; Elisa Bardavid
‘Bardavid-Tourneur can easily be compared to large Parisian and international law firms specialising in employment law in terms of its skills and the quality of its services with an extremely competitive invoicing policy.’
‘Elisa Bardavid is extremely responsive while being very precise and very exhaustive in her argumentation. She knows how to take into account the complexity of situations and offer concrete solutions to her customers. Jean-François Tourneur has a great finesse of analysis. He makes powerful arguments.’
‘The team has both extensive experience and expertise and a great ability to work on the employment law aspects of mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions.’
‘Elisa Bardavid is technically very good and my working relationship with her is very fluid.’
Stehlin & Associés
4 FAMILY OFFICES (AMONG OTHERS IMKER CAPITAL)
- Advised EPC Groupe on the employment aspects of the sale of a majority stake to European private equity group Argos Wityu.
- Advised Glen Raven Group on the sale of a French subsidiary, specialised in the manufacture of PVC coated technical fabrics, to Belgian group Sioen Industries.
- Advised Daniel Féau Group, specialist of luxury real estate, in connection with the sale of the majority of its share capital to AltaGroup.
Other key lawyers:
Malik Douaoui; Eric Guillemet
ANTICIP and RISK & CO
- Assisting Digital Virgo with the due diligence process as part of the acquisition of part of a telecommunications business.
- Assisted APAX Partners, a private equity fund, with the sale of the French INSEEC U group to Cinven.
- Assisted Bolloré with the vendor due diligence process relating to the sale of its majority shareholding in Wifirst.