Employment in Czech Republic
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's employment practice stands out for its blue-chip client base, which focuses on the automotive and pharmaceutical sectors. Martin Hrodek leads the team, which has both Czech and Slovak law capabilities and is able to draw on the support of the firm's regional network of offices to handle cross-border cases. The team also specialises in handling internal investigations and dispute resolution. Zuzana Ferianc is recommended.
‘The team always adapts very flexibly to unexpected inquiries.’
‘Martina Zavodna is very good in case analysis. She gives concrete and valid recommendations.’
VF International / Kontoor
Western Digital Corporation
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- Advising many leading multinational companies on immigration matters in connection with the secondment of employees and their family members to the Czech Republic.
- Acting for many leading multinational companies in both contentious and non-contentious employment, employee benefits and mobility matters in the Czech Republic.
- Advising many leading multinational companies on internal audits in cases of suspected non-compliance, employee misconduct or breach of obligations of employees.
bpv Braun Partners s.r.o.'s 'fantastic' team has 'deep knowledge in the sector'. The team led by Arthur Braun provides day-to-day employment advice to domestic and international clients, with a focus on cross-border secondment matters. Of counsel Lucie Kalašová specialises in employment litigation and is also noted for advising on GDPR issues in combination with the firm's data protection practice.
‘bvp Braun Partners are a fantastic legal company and without their expert guidance, it would be very hard for our company to operate in the Czech market. Their professionalism and expertise are unrivalled.’
‘I had the pleasure of dealing the most with Lucie Kalašová. She was always extremely understanding and patient when advising our company. She has supported us with some tricky labour law cases and her professional yet personal approach allowed us to feel confident with the decisions that were made.‘
LSG Sky Chefs Czechia
Carrier Refrigeration Operation Czech Republic
AIS – Automotive Interior Systems
- Advised Gerresheimer on employment law issues concerning a company expansion.
- Advising Deutsche Lufthansa on all areas of labour law.
- Advised AIS – Automotive Interior Systems on collective bargaining and company culture.
Dentons is highlighted as a 'great name in the industry'. The team advises a client base which includes large corporations on the full spectrum of matters, including the employment aspects of transactions. Practice co-heads Ladislav Smejkal, who has experience in both contentious and non-contentious employment matters, and Tomáš Bílek who focuses on employment litigation and unfair dismissal cases, are the key names to note. The team includes Takura Kawai, who acts for Japanese clients, and senior associate Andrea Hámorská. Zuzana Šimeková is the key name in the Bratislava office for cross-border matters.
‘The team has a personal approach, very open discussion and communication, trusted partners, and a professional attitude, and the quality of work is excellent.‘
Mars Group (Mars Czech, Wrigley and Royal Canin)
Prague Airport (formerly Český Aeroholding)
Tiffany & Co
- Advised Zentiva on employment matters including the transfer of business activities and employees between Sanofi and Zentiva’s local units in order to create a standalone company that could be sold.
- Advising Adient, a global leader in the automotive seating market, on day-to-day employment matters.
- Advising Mitsubishi Corporation, Japan’s largest general trading company, on employment matters, including the termination of employment relationships.
The employment team at Eversheds Sutherland advises clients on the full range of employment matters, including sensitive discrimination cases, high-level terminations and whistleblower activity. The practice is led by Tomáš Procházka, who is noted for his 'practical business advice'. Radek Matouš, who previously headed the employment group at Balcar, Polanský & Spol, has experience advising on data protection issues and representing clients in negotiations. The wider team also includes senior associates Kateřina Demová and Tomáš Jelínek, who both have vast experience in employment litigation. Veronika Odrobinová departed the firm to set up her own practice, along with associate Lukáš Zahrádka.
‘We have complete trust in Tomáš Procházka’s knowledge and skills; he is always helpful even in tough cases.’
‘The team have a highly professional approach, business tailored, deep knowledge of current legislation and case law, and provide practical solutions.’
‘Good quality local advice and a very proactive lead who ensured the transaction was well led and completed in good time.‘
‘Partners have a very in-depth knowledge of both the laws and the context in which they need to be applied. They are not only reactive but also proactive in their support and have demonstrated the utmost adaptability to assist in our business conduct.‘
Škofin (Volkswagen Financial Services)
TSR Czech Republic
- Advised Eaton on collective bargaining negotiations including follow-up escalation initiated by trade unions before an appointed mediator.
- Successfully defended the Czech branch of Edwards Lifesciences against unfair dismissal and discrimination claims brought by a former employee.
- Advising Mondi Group on engagement contracts for top management, GDPR issues and posting workers abroad.
Glatzová & Co., s.r.o.'s sector strength lies in the automotive industry, where it acts for leading clients on the employment aspects of complex restructuring projects and employment-related disputes. The team also has cross-border experience. The practice is led by Jiří Sixta and Martin Dančišin, who both handle a combination of contentious and non-contentious employment matters. Senior associate Michael Granát, who joined from a large telecoms, company has extensive experience advising on terminations and disciplinary matters.
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. and 2K Czech a.s.
Pražská teplárenská, a.s.
Moody’s Investors Services EMEA Limited and Moody’s Analytics Czech Republic s.r.o.
Loomis CZ, a.s.
Ford Motor Company, s.r.o.
Simmons & Simmons LLP
Všeobecná úvěrová banka a.s.
TNI Group a.s.
- Represented a major Czech heat producer as the defendant in the first labour law dispute in the Czech Republic concerning alleged sexual discrimination against a female plaintiff during the recruitment process.
- Representing TNI Group in civil proceedings against a former employee regarding the invalidity of an employment contract.
- Advising a leading automotive manufacturer on the employment and labour law aspects of its worldwide restructuring project.
Randl Partners attorneys at law
Randl Partners attorneys at law's 'friendly and reliable' practice is led by Nataša Randlová. The team's key specialisms include collective bargaining and management issues. The team includes Ondřej Chlada and Michal Peškar, who handle sensitive termination and discrimination matters.
‘They are friendly and reliable. They listen and provide tailored solutions. This is a team that can be trusted.‘
Deloitte Legal s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's employment team is based in the firm's five offices across the country, advising on immigration as well as day-to-day employment matters. Led by Jan Procházka, who acts for German clients, the team handles restructuring matters and advises on data protection measures for an assortment of blue-chip companies and domestic clients. Anna Szabová is experienced in employment litigation and restructuring, and regularly advises foreign clients, while Pavel Bejšovec has expertise in the employment aspects of corporate reorganisations.
Kinstellar's team is experienced in advising on large corporations on the employment issues related to establishing their operations in the local market. Kamil Blažek leads the team, which has cross-border capabilities in restructuring and transfer matters. Petra Ledvinková is the name to note for employment litigation, having 15 years' experience in dispute resolution at Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář before moving to the firm in 2019. The practice group lost key employment lawyer Petr Holub, who moved to an in-house position.
‘Kinstellar is one of only a handful of law firms with a presence right across Central and Eastern Europe, which allows for seamless representation in employment matters.’
‘Their size relative to other local Czech and CEE-based firms allows for specialisations.’
Nexen Tire Corporation
Duneba International s.r.o.
- Assisting Nexen Tire Corporation with launching its production operations in the Czech Republic and related employment considerations.
- Assisted SoftIron with the employment aspects of establishing operations in the Czech Republic, including establishing its local presence, hiring a team and engaging various service providers.
- Providing continuous advice on employment matters to INX International.
LEGALITÉ advokátní kancelář s.r.o.
LEGALITÉ advokátní kancelář s.r.o. possesses 'extraordinary knowledge of labour law' and is led by the highly recommended Marie Janšová, who handles contentious employment matters and advises on data protection. The team has a full-service practice ranging from advising on day-to-day matters such as terminations to assisting in sensitive internal investigations. Matěj Řičánek is also recommended.
‘Marie Janšová is one of the leaders in the labour law area.‘
‘Matej Ricanek was responsive and very clear and thorough in his communication.’
‘Team has extraordinary knowledge on labor law.’
Volvo Car Czech Republic
Omnicom Media Group
O2 Czech Republic
EP Energy Holding
- Advising Volvo Car Czech Republic on employment issues including the implementation of internal regulation, a benefits system, support of work-life balance, and placement of employees abroad.
- Successfully represented EP Energy Trading in an employment dispute with a former manager.
- Advising NonStop Recruitment on various employment-related issues, including health and safety in the workplace and the terms of co-operation with employees.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS is noted for its 'clear, concise and relevant advice' and skill in cross-border mandates, supported by the firm's eight offices across the CEE region. Practice co-head Adela Krbcova brings her corporate expertise to advising on the employment aspects of complex restructuring and transfer matters. Ondrej Dusek who also co-chairs the team, advises on data protection and tax issues, as well as handling employment litigation. Gabriela Hájková is an expert in collective bargaining.
‘Ondrej Dusek was happy to take a strong view on the merits and risks of our client’s defence to a claim and the potential value of the claim to enable my client to make an informed decision on settlement options and strategy. Ondrej was more than happy to clarify any queries we had at no further cost and to try to explain legal concepts under Czech law that were different to those we are used to under UK law.‘
Konica Minolta Marketing Services
Charita Česká republika (Caritas Czech Republic)
- Advised Assa Abloy on its internal management across several jurisdictions.
- Advised the Atlas Copco group on employment matters.
- Advised Georges Morand, a famous French glove-making fashion house, on structural organisational changes, namely collective redundancy proceedings and individual dismissals.
At PRK Partners, the employment practice is led by Jaroslav Škubal, who also oversees the Slovak team, handling employee secondments and collective dismissal matters. The team has a specialism in providing employment-related tax advice, where Jan Bürger is particularly active. The team, which also has an office in Ostrava, includes senior associate Tereza Erényi, who has 15 years' experience with a particular focus on complex restructuring and transfer matters. Matěj Daněk, who handles immigration matters, is also recommended.
‘The employment practice of PRK Partners has practical experience with various employers as its clients, including employers with very high headcount, implementing sophisticated corporate changes.‘
‘Tereza Erényi and Jaroslav Škubal are able to provide timely and practically oriented advice with analysis of potential issues beyond the scope of their assignment.’
Marks & Spencer
Four Seasons Hotel Prague
- Represented Bochemie in court proceedings with a former high-level manager who challenged his dismissal.
- Advising Fujitsu Technology Solutions on the employment issues arising from the closure of its operations in the Czech Republic and their relocation to another EU country.
- Conducted an audit in the area of employment law, payroll and data privacy for Four Seasons Hotel Prague.
Under the leadership of Hana Gawlasová, the team at Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář advises on the full scope of employment matters for large international clients across industry sectors. The team handles sensitive departures and terminations, as well as acting alongside the firm's other departments to advise on the employment aspects of corporate mergers and acquisitions. It also advises on contracts and obligations.
‘Timely, precise, exact and complete feedback. Hana Gawlasova perfectly represents the features described above.’
‘Their solutions are well justified. They understand the company culture and they are a good fit for our company. Their solutions are efficient. I highly appreciate the empathy.’
Infor Global Solutions
Young & Rubicam
Wunderman (Wunderman Thompson)
Weinhold Legal is a 'true expert in this area of law', handling cross-border matters with support from other member firms within the EY network. Led by Milan Polák, the team advises on GDPR and secondment issues, and represents clients in employment litigation related to dismissals. Eva Procházková advises a mix of domestic and international clients and Anna Bartůňková, who is highlighted for her 'professional approach', handles both litigation and arbitration. Ondřej Havránek is the key contact for advising on the employment aspects of restructuring matters.
‘Weinhold Legal Employment provides a very direct and responsive service on all employment law matters in the Czech Republic. I take the professionalism as a given. But I am particularly impressed by the responsiveness and the clarity of updates.’
‘Knowledgable, helpful and respond very quickly to queries and questions.’
‘Overall legal expertise. Practical and realistic approach to various legal situations.’
Clifford Chance advises clients on an assortment of employment mandates, with a focus on data protection. Led by M&A specialists Alex Cook and David Koláček, the team handles the employment aspects of corporate transactions, including complex restructurings. Veronika Kinclová is also noted.
Atrium Group Services B.V.
Bühler CZ s.r.o.
CBRE Global Investors
Fortuna Game a.s.
KKCG Investments AG
Kordárna Plus, a.s.
Supermax Corporation Czech s.r.o.
- Advised FläktGroup on a complex group restructuring, including making notifications to employees’ representatives in France, Germany and the Czech Republic.
- Advised Kordárna Plus, part of Indorama Ventures’ group of companies, on the election of an employees’ representative to the supervisory board of the company.
- Advised CBRE Global Investors on an ongoing basis on various employment matters, including on consultancy arrangements.
Kocián Šolc Balaštík advises both domestic and international clients and has some cross-border employment capabilities. Led by Václav Rovenský, the team works in co-operation with the firm's tax practice to advise on employee costs and reimbursement. Michal Hanuš is a key name to note; he has expertise in advising on the employment aspects of corporate restructurings and assisting leading clients in the automotive and sports sectors with employment matters.
‘The team has broad professional knowledge and experience, and is highly intellectual with a moral and proactive approach.’
Quanta Human Resources s.r.o.
North Carolina University
AGC Automotive Czech a.s.
Corinthia Panorama, s.r.o.
Sdružení pro rozvoj Moravskoslezského kraje, z.s.
Deza, a.s. (member of the Agrofert Group)
DAF Trucks Praha, s.r.o.
Lidl Česká republika v.o.s.
Ferratum Czech s.r.o.
- Advised a university in North Carolina on obtaining intra-company transfer cards for US citizens for their residence and employment in the Czech Republic.
- Assisted Gonvarri Czech with the transition of employees.
- Advising AGC Automotive Czech on conflict negotiations between an employer and several trade unions.
UEPA advokáti s.r.o. is experienced in advising clients on day-to-day employment matters, such as handling employment contracts. Led by Andreas Ueltzhöffer, Lars Klett and Lucie Hladěnová, the team acts for German clients due to its language capabilities and is skilled at handling cross-border employment matters for foreign clients.
‘Very professional approach, wide spectrum of knowledge, quick reactions, and they understand how our business works. They tailor specific legal solutions for us. Excellent expertise in individual and collective labour law. Fluent in English and German, which is important for us.’
‘Outstanding work, fast and always accurate.’
KiK Textilien und Non-Food GmbH
Lindner Hotels Group
Swiss Embassy (Embassy of the Swiss Confederation in the Czech Republic)
K&V Elektro a.s.
- Advised mdexx in several cases involving the cross-border posting of expert employees, including the posting of a Czech employee to China.
- Assisted the Czech companies of the Festo Group with internal audits of both companies and the drafting of employment-related documents, such as internal work rules and contracts to achieve compliance with GDPR.
- Advised on the pilot restructuring project aimed at changing the management structure of KiK’s individual retail outlets.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář's employment team is led by Ivan Sagál and advises local and foreign clients with the support of its international network. Associate Filip Hron handles a wide range of employment matters with a focus on internal investigations. Former head Daniela Opletalová now leads the real estate team.
‘All colleagues of Bird and Bird were really professional, they gave me feedback on time and they were always really helpful.’
Pharmaceutical Research Associates CZ
- Advising Hanesbrands on various employment matters as part of multi-jurisdictional project involving an EU-wide employee restructure.
- Advising Pharmaceutical Research Associates CZ on corporate and employment matters, including the process of obtaining a licence on employment mediation.
CERHA HEMPEL Kališ & Partners' employment team is led by Martin Kartner and advises long-term clients in the healthcare, retail and construction sectors. A large proportion of the work in the past year has been concentrated in GDPR compliance as well as data protection matters. Nikol Španvirtová advises local and foreign clients on all areas of employment law.
Aon Corporation (Project Star)
XXX Lutz KG
The Institute of Philosophy of the Academy of Sciences
Tchibo Praha, spol. s r.o.
FCC Česká republika, s.r.o.
Asociace výrobců a dodavatelů zdravotnických prostředků (Association of Manufacturers and Suppliers of Medical Devices)
Mikrobiologický ústav (Institute of Microbiology of the Czech Academy of Sciences)
Kia Motors Czech s.r.o.
Aon Corporation (Project Star)
ProSpon, spol. s r.o.
Vítkovice Heavy Machinery a.s.
Hervis sport a móda
Veba, textilní závody
- Advised ProSpon on ensuring its internal employment policies are in line with the GDPR.
- Assisting The Institute of Philosophy of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic with various employment matters, such as terminations of employment.
- Advised Tchibo Praha on the secondment of employees to another foreign entity belonging to the Tchibo group.