Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's 'excellent' employment practice is noted for its 'professionalism, prompt support and business mindset’. Martin Hrodek is active in both contentious and non-contentious matters, including those concerning discrimination, harassment and matters related to the impact of COVID-19. Experienced senior associate Zuzana Ferianc is the name to note for Slovak law work and is particularly knowledgeable about global immigration matters. The team is also experienced in international investigations, employment litigation and collective dismissals.
Employment in Czech Republic
Baker & McKenzie s.r.o., advokátní kancelář
Martin Hrodek; Zuzana Ferianc
‘Overall availability and knowledge of local market’
‘The team is always very helpful. There is a pragmatic approach to serving our needs. ’
‘We cooperated with Ms. Zuzana Ferianc on the employment aspects of a joint venture. We appreciated her professionalism, prompt support and business mindset.’
‘Ms Zuzana Ferianc is my recommended standout individual. -1- professional knowledge about labour area. -2- active in providing value-added services. -3- efficient to deliver first response within several hours.’
‘Individual, personal and professional aproach.’
‘Friendly and personal approach’
‘The team provide pragmatic actionable advice in a way which is easy to understand for international clients not used to dealing in Czech Republic.’
‘Zuzana Ferianc is a pleasure to deal with. She is able to translate legal concepts into advice which is specific and tailored for our business.’
Abris Capital Partners
Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
Sony Pictures Entertainment
Western Digital Corporation
- Advising many leading multinational companies on internal audits in case of suspected non-compliance, employee misconduct or breach of obligations of employees.
- Provided a series of successful anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training to clients in various industries, such as retail and media (production companies).
- Advised the BMI Group on the appointment of a Czech representative into the European Works Council.
Dentons' full-service employment team is noted for its 'high professionalism, quick reaction time and detail'. It acts for a wide client base, including multinational companies and large domestic banks. Ladislav Smejkal has vast expertise in employment litigation, including disputes over unfair dismissals, non-competition clauses and discrimination. Tomáš Bílek handles both non-contentious and contentious employment work, and is particularly noted for his work for pharmaceutical and automotive sector clients. The group has strong transactional experience and is able to leverage its regional network for cross-border mandates. Counsel Andrea Hámorská is recommended for data privacy matters.
Tomáš Bílek; Ladislav Smejkal
Other key lawyers:
‘Tomas Bilek provides practical, tailored advice for us, rather than providing a book of all the possible options in a given scenario. His knowledge of our company and our way of working allows him to be very direct in his feedback and advice which, in turn, keeps us moving forward on legal projects without the delay in waiting for counsel input.’
‘Team strengths are responsiveness, professionalism and understanding immediately what is the problem.’
‘Andrea Hamorska – subject matter professional, very good discussions, cooperation, responses are quick, required consultation and work is delivered fast with comments. Trusted partner.’
‘Tomas Bilek – Very good cooperation, helping to build a network of other Denton’s colleagues within Eastern Europe and Russia that can support us with our requests.’
‘High professionalism, react quickly on request, looking for details.’
‘Professional cooperation, based on facts, looking for details. A clear explanation of the situation with possible risks, realistic view. Fast reaction, information send in time.’
Mars Group (Mars Czech, Wrigley and Royal Canin)
Adient (formerly Johnson Controls)
Unilin / Mohawk Industries
Tiffany & Co
Walter Ewag (formerly part of Körber AG)
ING Bank N.V
- Long-term complex employment advice to four companies from the Valeo Group in the Czech Republic.
- Extensive long-term employment advice to Adient, including preparation and negotiation of a new collective agreement for the client´s production plants in Mladá Boleslav and Bezděčín.
- Representing PPF banka in employment disputes related to the alleged unfair dismissals.
Randl Partners attorneys at law's 'excellent' employment practice handles a wide array of contentious and non-contentious matters for clients, particularly those in the pharmaceutical industry. Managing partner and practice head Nataša Randlová is renowned for her expertise in large collective bargaining claims. Michal Peškar is also recommended.
Nataša Randlová, Michal Peškar
‘ Personal approach to each client, to each case, high personal commitment and a huge effort to solve even the unsolvable.’
‘ Excellent job’
‘The team specialises in employment law and has huge practical experience in all of its areas. I appreciate they are able to advice fast, accurately, and in a way which is understandable also to non-lawyers. ’
‘Natasa Randlova is THE expert in her field in the country. although extremely busy, she is still able to keep herself available for her clients and with her expertise, she is able to solve your problem in minutes.’
‘They have practical experience, they know how companies operate and how to implement the legislation into the practice.’
‘They are proactive and are able to advise on how to implement the legislation. They know the reality.’
‘Responsive, practical and commercial advice – everything we look for in overseas counsel.’
The 'excellent' team at bpv Braun Partners s.r.o. has a strong track record handling domestic and cross-border employment issues for multinational corporates and family-held companies. Group head Arthur Braun has over 25 years of experience advising on the Czech and Slovak employment aspects of corporate transactions. Of counsel Lucie Kalašová focuses on employment litigation and is skilled in data protection work.
Other key lawyers:
Lucie Kalašová; Markéta Nešetřilová
‘bpv provides excellent, reliable, professional and fast employment advice to our company. Any type of information or advice that I need from them, is provided accurately usually within less than 24 hours. ’
‘They are extremely knowledgable and patient. They are able to provide answers quickly to any of our questions in a polite and professional way.’
‘I have been working with Braun Partners (as well in the Czech Republic as in Slovakia) for a couple of years now. I am particularly satisfied by the excellent reliability of the advice and the assistance provided, and also by the swift follow-up of our requests’
‘We mostly work with Arthur Braun, who is an excellent practitioner with thorough knowledge of labour and employment law and excellent client development skills. He is also extremely reliable, up to the point and a great lawyer to have on your side in international projects.’
LSG Sky Chefs Czechia
Hidrostal Bohemia s.r.o.
Tenneco / Monroe
Carrier / UTC
- Advising the entire Lufthansa Group (Deutsche Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, Eurowings, Air Dolomiti) in all Czech labour law issues concerning their daily business,
- Advising the American IT company on labour law issues in the post-integration restructuring process for their business.
- Advising Tenneco/Monroe Czechia s.r.o including COVID-19 related measures, notices and minor mass release.
Deloitte Legal s.r.o., advokátní kancelář's employment practice, which is led by Jan Procházka, handles both contentious and non-contentious work for a number of blue-chip companies. The group provides clients with a full service, with expertise including immigration, litigation and corporate restructurings. Pavel Bejšovec advises on day-to-day operations and disputes. Data protection work is also prominent in the caseload.
Other key lawyers:
Kooperativa pojišťovna, a.s., Vienna Insurance Group
Carrier Refrigeration Operation Czech Republic s.r.o.
Auto-Kabel Krupka, s.r.o.
KS Kolbenschmidt Czech Republic, a. s.
Německá škola v Praze s.r.o. – zahraniční škola a gymnázium (Deutsche Schule Prag)
Iceland Czech a.s.
CRESTYL real estate, s.r.o.
Státní tiskárna cenin, státní podnik
SMBC Bank EU AG
VIG RE zajišťovna, a.s.
- Comprehensive employment advice to Kooperativa pojišťovna, a.s., Vienna Insurance Group with respect to the merger of the client.
- Legal advisory services to Carrier Refrigeration Operation Czech Republic s.r.o as a part of the UTC group on a significant reorganization project.
- Advising Auto-Kabel Krupka, s.r.o. on the termination of employment relationships.
At Eversheds Sutherland, advokátní kancelář, s.r.o., the employment group handles high-value transactional matters, sensitive discrimination cases and whistleblower claims. Led by Tomáš Procházka, the team also advises on collective bargaining, redundancies and cross-border transfers of employees. Senior associates Radek Matouš (who has significant data protection expertise) and Kateřina Demová are names to note.
Other key lawyers:
Radek Matouš; Kateřina Demová
ŠKOFIN (Volkswagen Financial Services)
- Advised Volkswagen on Covid-19 issues, including employees stranded abroad.
- Successfully represented Czech Metrology Institute in a high-profile unfair dismissal dispute with a whistle-blower.
Glatzová & Co., s.r.o. is noted for its 'personal approach' to clients. It is notably strong in matters connected with the automotive industry, including restructurings and employment disputes. Practice head Jiří Sixta has a specialism in the pharmaceuticals sector. Senior associate Michael Granát is another key name in the group, which frequently works with its office in Bratislava on cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team has a very personal approach, great availability and a professional attitude.’
TAKE-TWO INTERACTIVE SOFTWARE, INC AND 2K CZECH s.r.o.
Pražská teplárenská, a.s.
Moody’s Investors Services EMEA Limited and Moody’s Analytics Czech Republic s.r.o.
Loomis CZ, a.s.
FORD MOTOR COMPANY, s.r.o.
Simmons & Simmons LLP
Mazda Motor Logistics
Nemocnice Prachatice a.s., Jihočeské nemocnice a.s.
EXIM TOURS a.s.
ArcelorMittal Europe CZ s.r.o.
- Advised TAKE-TWO on drafting standard employment documentation, including rules for homework, negotiating with the Czech Labour Office, temporary transfers of employees abroad, and the particulars of employment relations under foreign law.
- Advised Cimpress/Vistaprint subsidiary in the Czech Republic. The services entailed complex labour issues, including reviewing and advising on the implementation of internal policies, terminating employment relationships, as well as working hours and overtime.
- Advised ArcelorMittal Europe CZ s.r.o. during the Covid -19 pandemic on working-from-home arrangements and state stimulus package.
Kinstellar advises large corporates on domestic and international employment issues. It has a strong CEE market presence and features prominently in cross-border restructuring mandates and transfer issues. It also acts for a number of foreign clients (including German companies) on the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions. Kamil Blažek co-heads the team with Ladislava Jasanská.
Kamil Blažek; Ladislava Jasanská
- Advised Max Aicher GmbH & Co. KG on the acquisition of Pilsen Steel from the property of PILSEN STEEL s.r.o. and Pilsen Estates s.r.o. in insolvency.
- Advising Inteva Products, a part of Renco Group and a global top-tier supplier of engineered components and systems for the automotive industry, on the sale of its roof business to CIE Automotive.
- Acted for Ingersoll-Rand’s spin off regarding the industrial unit and the merger thereof with Gardner Denver.
LEGALITÉ advokátní kancelář s.r.o.
LEGALITÉ advokátní kancelář s.r.o.'s reputable practice handles contentious employment matters and day-to-day issues for pharmaceutical, energy, and infrastructure sector clients. Led by Marie Janšová, the team handles employment litigation and data protection matters. Senior associate Matěj Řičánek acts for clients in administrative proceedings and employee terminations. Clients include domestic banks and IT companies.
Other key lawyers:
‘Marie Jansova is top employment counsel in CZ’
Volvo Car Czech Republic
Český rozhlas (Czech Radio)
O2 Czech Republic
První brněnská strojírna Velká Bíteš
Zátiší Catering Group
Omnicom Media Group
- Advising a Czech financial institution on all labour law aspects of remote working, preparing internal rules for remote working, and other related internal procedures.
- Advising Volvo Car Czech Republic on new benefits for employees and implementing new internal rules.
- Representing Český rozhlas (Czech Radio) public broadcaster in the Czech Republic in employment-related court proceedings.
PETERKA & PARTNERS
PETERKA & PARTNERS provide a 'top-class' employment service to clients and demonstrates strong capabilities in cross-border mandates. Adela Krbcova plays a key role advising on mergers and acquisitions, as well as complex restructurings. Ondrej Dusek is active in employment litigation with a cross-border dimension. Another key individual is Gabriela Hájková, who advises domestic and foreign clients on collective bargaining issues.
Adela Krbcova; Ondrej Dusek
Other key lawyers:
‘The team is very helpful and responsive to requests for assistance’
‘I like my cooperation with Peterka and Partners mainly because the consultants are really professional, helpful, and friendly. Always ready to give advice, answer any questions. All in a very professional way with a high level of communication.’
ATLAS COPCO (one client but two matters below)
BL SPV Czech
CLOOS Praha spol. s.r.o.
- Advised Atalian, among others, on its interactions with trade unions.
- Advised Tetra Pak on launching and extending remote work project in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.
- Advised Atlas Copco on complex termination and COVID-19 labour law related matters.
At PRK Partners, the practice focuses on all aspects of Czech and Slovak labour law, with the standout feature being its employment-related tax offering. Team head Jaroslav Škubal is the key contact for cross-border mandates involving employee secondments and collective dismissals. The team includes tax specialist Jan Bürger, who handles employment structuring. In addition, experienced senior associate Tereza Erényi assists clients with employee transfers, restructurings and collective bargaining, among other areas. Veronika Romanová in Bratislava works with the Prague office.
Other key lawyers:
Jan Bürger; Tereza Erényi
Olympus Czech Group
Marks & Spencer
Fujitsu Technology Solutions s.r.o.
Ion Beam Applications
The Boston Consulting Group
Four Seasons Hotel Prague
UNION HOTELERA BARCELO
- Advised Sony Europe B.V. on all legal-related aspects of their intention to start using electronic HR documentation only (instead of hard copies) both in the Czech and Slovak Republics.
- Advised an international consulting company on hiring a new Managing Director, his local as well as global engagement.
- Advised Four Seasons Hotel Prague in respect of the Antivirus Program – a state subsidy program of the Czech Government introduced in April in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Squire Patton Boggs s.r.o., advokátní kancelář generates a significant amount of complex, cross-border work from clients. Its practice is led by Hana Gawlasová, who is an expert in board-level hiring and severance, restructurings and compliance issues. In addition, she is particularly knowledgeable about digital transformation projects. Petra Věžníková is the cybersecurity expert supporting employee data rights cases. The team works closely with its international dispute resolution group on multijurisdictional litigation matters pertaining to investigations.
Other key lawyers:
RWS Moravia (formerly Moravia IT)
Infor Global Solutions
Young & Rubicam
- Advising RWS Moravia (Moravia IT) on business and team integration in connection with an acquisition in a client’s group of companies.
- Assisting John Menzies with management changes in Czech operations.
- Advising Infor Global Solutions on employment issues in relation to Czech government Covid19 programs.
At Weinhold Legal, the 'great' and 'responsive' employment practice handles a broad cross-section of cross-border matters for an array of clients. Litigator Milan Polák leads the group, which advises multinational corporates on day-to-day matters, including GDPR issues and dismissals. The team also includes Eva Procházková and Anna Bartůňková, who is highly rated by clients for her dispute resolution experience.
Other key lawyers:
Eva Procházková; Anna Bartůňková
‘WL has a great employment team, which has a very helpful, hands-on, business approach. Great to work with.’
‘The team is responsive and quick. They work well with the clients’ own ideas, while developing these ideas and adding substance to them. Overall, a very cooperative and supportive team to work with.’
‘The entire team of Weinhold legal has always provided us high-quality service, we can only recommend the service and we appreciate this partner as an important part for our company. Its business understanding, quick feedbacks and hard work helps us to be a step ahead of others in a professional field.’
‘In the area of labour and employment law I would highlight Anna Bartunkova.’
‘Weinhold Legal – is our preferred consultant on labour law issues.’
Clifford Chance focuses on employment-related corporate transactions and its offering is led by M&A expert David Koláček in Prague. The practice also has experience in collective terminations and complex restructurings, among other matters. It also has a data protection offering. 'Brilliant lawyer' Veronika Kinclová is highlighted for her EU law expertise and day-to-day advisory work for international clients.
Other key lawyers:
‘The Clifford Chance Prague employment team is unique for their ability to deal with any employment issue of the spectrum, their expertise is vast due to the fact that their lawyers also have to be experts in other related areas such as compliance, data protection, corporate, tax or litigation etc. They do offer complex solutions where employment teams of the other firms lack the expertise. Also, the employment team is able to provide advice on unprecedented matters or in addition to legal advice also offer strategic advice or the market’s view on the employment issue. ’
‘We have been working with Veronika Kinclova who advised us from the initial meeting to the very end. She advised us on a matter in which we had no previous experience but thanks to her advice we have always known what shall happen next, and as such, we managed to stay on top of things and the actions of the labour authority. We are very thankful for the advice provided because we were advised not only about the processes and laws, but also in soft skills – proceedings which were very helpful.’
‘Very well versed with the local laws and the ability to into complex multi-jurisdictional matters. 2. Conscious of Client’s cost. Providing the most cost-effective solutions. 3. Treat Clients as part of their own team. We were particularly grateful of their support during the Covid-19 pandemic. 4. Always looking for solutions. Never show you the dead-end. 5. Always available and promptly respond to any queries. 6. Very humble and provide a great work environment for clients. ’
‘My contact point has been Ms. Veronika Kinclova, she has been an excellent support and is a brilliant lawyer. Her knowledge of local laws and in general laws of other EU states is very impressive. As an in-house counsel, managing costs is at the forefront of our agenda; Veronika is not only conscious of that but, makes every effort to help us reduce external costs. Furthermore, her ability to foresee risks and mitigate them beforehand is exceptional. She is a very humble person and is mindful of client’s time and is always ready with answers and solutions.’
ADC studio s.r.o.
Arx Equity Partners
Atrium Group Services B.V.
Bühler CZ s.r.o.
CBRE Global Investors
Fortuna Game a.s.
Heimstaden Czech s.r.o.
KKCG Investments AG
Kordárna Plus, a.s.
M.L. Moran, a.s.
Supermax Corporation Czech s.r.o.
- Advice Pfizer on various aspects of home office working including the controversial topic of compensation of employees’ expenses.
- Advice CBRE Global Investors on assignment of one of the top managers outside the Czech Republic, including advice on benefits, remuneration, reimbursement of costs and equal treatment of employees.
- Advising ADS Studio s.r.o. on the inspection from the Czech Labour Law Inspectorate.
At Kocián Šolc Balaštík, the employment group has a strong transactional background and is active in complex advisory work for both domestic and international clients. Led by Václav Rovenský, the team handles M&A-related labour work, cross-border mandates across eastern Europe and has a wide tax offering. At associate level, Michal Hanuš handles corporate restructurings and counts various automotive companies as key clients.
Other key lawyers:
Lidl E-Commerce Logistics s.r.o.
Správa úložišť radioaktivního odpadu
Lidl Česká republika v.o.s
- Advised GONVARRI CZECH, s.r.o. on assessing and ensuring the transition of employees in the sale of machinery and external staff management.
- Assessing AGC Automotive Czech a.s. in conflict negotiations between an employer and several trade unions.
- Advising DEZA, a.s. a dispute over determining whether or not the strongest trade union in the country has power in, and is operating at, the client.
UEPA advokáti s.r.o. is highlighted for its 'outstanding skill' and experience in delivering day-to-day employment advice. The team is led by founding partner Andreas Ueltzhöffer and dual Czech and Slovak-qualified practitioner Lars Klett. Lucie Hladěnová advises domestic and international clients on contracts. The team is capable handling cross-border work across Eastern Europe and has a large German-speaking client base.
Andreas Ueltzhöffer; Lars Klett; Lucie Hladěnová
‘Fast and highly qualified’
‘Fast and outstanding skills’
KiK Textilien und Non-Food GmbH
Lindner Hotels Group
NH Hotel Prague
Plaschka (member of Poppe + Potthoff group)
- Advised mdexx on several cases of cross-border posting of expert employees, including the posting of a Czech employee to China. The firm amended the employment agreements and workplace rules to comply with GDPR.
- Advising KiK Textilien und Non-Food GmbH on disputes, in and out of court, with employees of all levels.
- Advising BMK Group on all legal aspects of its activities in the Czech Republic and Slovakia since 2011 and recently on changes in the management of the Czech entity and on potential measures to cope with the economic effects of COVID-19 on employers.
Bird & Bird s.r.o. advokátní kancelář advises both domestic and international clients on employment matters such as restructurings, terminations and remote working conditions. Led by Ivan Sagál, the team is made up of senior associate Daniela Opletalová, who has a decade of experience in employment-related corporate work, and Filip Hron, who is recommended for sensitive internal investigations.
Other key lawyers:
Daniela Opletalová; Filip Hron
Pharmaceutical Research Associates CZ
- Advising Pharmaceutical Research Associates CZ on corporate and employment matters, including the process of obtaining a license on employment mediation.
CERHA HEMPEL Kališ & Partners' employment practice sits within its compliance group and focuses on a wide range of labour law matters. The firm acts for domestic and international clients operating in sectors such as retail, investment and construction. Martin Kartner heads up the group, which handles disputes, GDPR work and immigration advice. Data protection matters are another driver of work. Senior associate Nikol Španvirtová excels in sensitive dismissals and corporate governance issues.
Other key lawyers:
‘All the CERHA HEMPEL lawyers are very communicative and always ready to help. We also appreciate their in-depth knowledge of multiple areas of law.’
Elysian Capital LLP
XXX Lutz KG
BUGABOO International BV
TCHIBO Praha spol. s r.o.
Institute of Philosophy of Czech Academy of Science
Asociace výrobců a dodavatelů zdravotnických prostředků (Association of Manufacturers and Suppliers of Medical Devices)
Mikrobiologický ústav (Institute of Microbiology of the Czech Academy of Sciences)
DHL Information Services (Europe)
Audemars Piguet SA
Quickstep Anticorro s.r.o.
Sociální služby města Pardubic
ProSpon, spol. s r.o.
Office Depot s.r.o.
Institute of Microbiology of Czech Academy of Science
- Provided various complex legal services to Elysian Capital LLP on the acquisition of part of the shares of Mergon, with respect to the Czech branch of Mergon.
- Advised Aon Corporation on employment law matters connected with the sale of its human resources businesses to Spencer Stuart.
- Provides legal services to BUGABOO, as well as overview of requirements of labour law in the Czech Republic.