With enviable expertise in urban planning and development, the ‘supremely professional’ Pinilla González & Prieto Abogados stands out as ‘one of the most reputable firms in Colombia in this field’. While demonstrating extensive knowledge and experience in all matters relating to the construction and real estate sectors, the firm does specialise in structuring and executing complex real estate projects, administration, finance and planning. Acting for a wealth of large construction companies, the practice also maintains a loyal list of big-name clients through its legal advisory services. Widely recognised a a frontrunner by peers and clients alike, founding partner Juan Manuel González holds an impressive track record spanning 20 years for his work on urban development projects; Ángela Caicedo is an expert in analysing property titles, urban codes, and structuring legal frameworks to minimise risks for clients; and Sandra Milena Lizcano Zea advises on structuring real estate projects and urban development instruments. All three co-head the team which includes Felipe Pinilla, who focuses on transactional real estate mandates.
Real estate in Colombia
Pinilla González & Prieto Abogados
Juan Manuel González Garavito; Ángela María Caicedo Rozo; Sandra Milena Lizcano Zea
‘This firm has had lawyers specialised in real estate and urban law for many years, making them pioneers in this practice. They have generated a name that is widely recognised, generating trust among the clients who hire them. It is one of the most reputable firms in Colombia in this field of action.‘
‘Juan Manuel González stands out as one of the founding partners, since to a large extent the prestige and recognition of the firm in the real estate and urban area is owed to him. This recognition generates customer support.’
‘I highlight the organised billing process, and the organisation and attention to the customer in general.‘
‘They specialise in natural resource issues and have a multi-disciplinary support team. Knowledge of the regulations, opportunity in the attention of the subjects before the control organisms. Easy access to partners for required opinions.‘
‘Kindness in taking the time to return a call or answer an email – Felipe Pinilla, Juan Manuel Gonzalez, Natalia Nuñez and Julian Rojas.‘
‘The detailed relationship of the provision of the service, the quality of the documents, whether they are drafts for discussion, are always complete and well finished.‘
‘In matters related to environmental management and water resources that have been widely discussed with this team, it is shown to have a lot of command and knowledge of the issues on which they are consulted by clients. In addition, the management and monitoring of the issues stands out.‘
‘I would highlight the work of Ángela Pinzón who is very clear about her concepts and safely masters all the topics and matters that are entrusted to her, giving the client a lot of peace of mind in their management.‘
‘The billing process is organised and clear. The availability of the team to attend to matters is highlighted.‘
‘Pinilla, González y Prieto Abogados is a firm with which I work regularly on technical engineering issues related to water resources, such as environmental studies, water studies, etc. PGP is supremely professional in this field, with excellent knowledge in the aforementioned areas, and a deep interrelation in the projects we carry out. The professionals, moreover, are attentive, friendly and quick in their concepts. It is a leading company in Colombia in this regard.‘
‘Kindness and professionalism.’
‘I have dealings with, among other company professionals, Natalia Núñez – one of the partners; she is totally committed to her client, and carries out in-depth analysis.‘
‘The people are very professional and friendly, and we always have immediate communication to solve our joint work.‘
‘Its organisation in the part related to the work we undertake is very entrepreneurial, and as such it is a team that is at the forefront in Colombia.‘
‘Our impression is very favourable. Juan Manuel Gonzalez, Julian Felipe Rojas, Natalia Núñez, Angela Caicedo, María Helena Padilla and the entire PGP team have great knowledge of the issues they handle, with which we have obtained satisfactory results in the different jobs hired.‘
‘Excellent service and collaboration. We feel great support and confidence in the firm.‘
‘It is a team that has all kinds of profiles and they can accompany you to any type of meeting. Regardless of their profile, they manage to attend the meetings, since their level of knowledge and professionalism is very high.‘
‘Their knowledge of all the topics on which they are consulted and the great support they give in all areas. They do not leave a single space unchecked, they give the client an optimistic and pessimistic vision, and also the ways to face each one.‘
‘They are very clear and transparent when it comes to billing.‘
‘It seems to me that the knowledge of the PGPLegal firm on the subject that interests me, which is natural resources, is very complete. Its partners are at the highest level in these matters.‘
‘I think that the knowledge and constant updating of the team on natural resources issues is what makes me feel confident about working with PGPLegal.‘
Amarilo / Urbansa / Constructora Colpatria
Cementos Argos / Situm / Amarilo
Fernando Mazuera & Cía
- Advising Amarilo to adopt the planning instrument called the partial plan “El Bosque,” for a development located in the north of Bogotá to allow both residential and commercial uses – with sales valued at USD$250m.
- Advised and supported Entorno Urbano in the process of adoption of the so-called Plan Parcial Llanura de Rosablanca, regarding a piece of land of approximately 15 hectares in the municipality of Villavicencio (Meta); including the legal advisory in the drafting of legal and technical documents required for its adoption.
- Advising Cementos Argos on modifying the regulatory framework of a Partial Plan El Volador to allow the development of land and subsequent real estate in an area of urban expansion located in Barranquilla.
One of the go-to names on project development matters, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) also offers expert advice across the spectrum of real estate-related issues, including acquisition and sale of properties, due diligence, structuring and planning, fund formation, and real estate-related litigation. Co-heads of practice Paula Samper Salazar and Felipe Mariño have impressive experience in the sector. Recent highlights advice to Orpea on its entry into the Colombian market; advising Colegio Los Nogales on the development of its master plan for the enlargement and improvement of the school’s facilities; and advising Fondo de Capital Privado Nuevomundo on the $128m sale of the shopping mall Calima Centro Comercial to Mallplaza. Senior associates María Camila Parra, who is highly experienced in urban planning regulations, zoning and construction licenses, is also key member of the team. Camilo Cantor retired from the firm in 2020.
Paula Samper Salazar; Felipe Mariño Dueñas
‘Effectiveness, understanding of business needs and practical and non-pachydermic solutions. It stands out in this sense over other firms.‘
‘Partner Felipe Mario Dueñas – practicality, attention to detail, highly structured points of view and concepts, novel alternatives.‘
‘Associate: Juan Diego Riveros – attention to detail, highly structured concepts, collaboration and availability. They are far above other offices.‘
‘The final product and deliverables are of good quality. The knowledge of the team in the sector is very good.’
‘Felipe Mariño is a partner with very good knowledge. Another of his strengths is negotiation, which he handles very well. Emanuela Guevara is very methodical and uses herself thoroughly.‘
‘They launched a new app that is very innovative.’
‘Possibility of speaking with the lawyer promptly. Ease of consultation. This is not the case with all law firms. Availability to serve customers. Timely responses. In my case, the person who attends me is Maria Camila Parra.’
‘The team is multidisciplinary and can attend to several fronts at the same time, which makes the consultation comprehensive.’
‘It is a team with solid knowledge and always ready to attend to the needs of my company. They always provide various options and recommend the best alternative within the framework of the law and according to the degree of complexity they know that the procedures before public entities represent. They have an excellent relationship.’
‘Empathy, solid knowledge, always ready, warmth in service, negotiation capacity.‘
‘Faced with the reality and complexity of the pandemic, the work never stopped and they were ready to offer options to meet our needs.‘
Fondo Nuevomundo (FCP)
Cámara Colombiana de la Construcción – Camacol (Bogotá & Cundinamarca)
CG Constructores / V2K
Empresa Metro de Bogotá
Orpea/ SIS Group
Sura Asset Management
Pepsico Alimentos de Colombia
Inmobiliaria Sredni/ Elimarc
Black Horse Developments
Colegio Los Nogales
Colegio Anglo Colombiano
- Advised Fondo de Capital Privado Nuevomundo on the sale of the shopping mall Calima Centro Comercial to Mallplaza, a Chilean shopping mall owner and operator, with presence in different countries in Latin America.
- Advising Orpea/ SIS Group, the world’s leading operator of senior care facilities, on its ambitious real estate acquisition programme for the development of more than 10 projects in different cities across Colombia.
- Assisting Colegio Los Nogales, one of the most important, private and non-profit bilingual education institutions located in Bogotá, on the structuring and obtaining of a Plan Parcial for the enlargement and improvement of the school’s facilities.
The full-service offering at Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría provides expert advice throughout the life cycle of complex real estate matters, including residential and commercial use, social housing, infrastructure and industrial projects, construction agreements, urban instruments and administrative procedures before planning authorities. The six-strong team is led by Juan Carlos Rocha who demonstrate extensive experience for an impressive roster of clients that includes a number of household-name companies across the real estate and construction sectors. Other names to note are senior associate Diana Lozano, who is active in real estate transactions, and Luis Pupo. Principal associate Juan Miguel Luna left the firm in April 2021.
Juan Carlos Rocha
Grupo Energia Bogotá
Cardenas Marketing Network
Fondo de Inversión Inmobiliaria Sirenta
Latam Logistic Col Propco Cota 1
Constructora Jaramillo Mora
- Advising Parque Arauco regarding real estate and planning matters for the development and construction of a shopping mall named “Alegra Barranquilla” in the district of Barranquilla.
- Advising Cardenas Marketing Network (CMN) in planning and real estate matters to identify land risks regarding the acquisition of a coliseum named “Arena Bogotá” located in Bogotá, an area of approx 25.000 m2.
- Advised Grupo Argos in the analysis of a housing project located inside a master plan of approximately 220 hectares near Barranquilla, to determine specific and applicable urban regulations to execute the project to its maximum potential.
The multidisciplinary team at Posse Herrera Ruiz operates with a one-stop-shop approach, providing a full service to clients across the spectrum of matters, focusing in particular on real estate projects, urban and development projects, agribusiness and natural resources and disputes. The 15-strong team, led by the ‘outstanding‘ Andrés Montoya, boasts a number of high-profile international clients, for which work highlights include recent advice to Phoenix Tower International, a multinational wireless infrastructure firm owned by investment behemoth Blackstone, on a number of site acquisitions. Montoya is a leading expert in agribusiness, and possesses over 20 years of experience in real estate, urban development and litigation cases. Partner Alejandro Turbay leads on urban planning and zoning regulation matters, enjoying recent success for Terranum in a land use and planning dispute; while Héctor Otálora provides key support at associate level.
‘PHR has a multidisciplinary team, possessing unique and deeper knowledge, skills and abilities that sets it apart from other firms.‘
‘The collaboration of the PHR team stands out compared to other firms.‘
‘I believe that the Posse Herrera team has advised me in a clear, direct and concise way on real estate matters.‘
‘It compares positively with other high-level firms that have advised us. It stands apart for the warmth of the members, and their availability to schedule follow-up meetings.‘
‘I highlight Dr. Andrés Montoya for real estate work.‘
‘It seems very important to me how the firm’s lawyers handle technology, especially geographic information systems, which is very important for real estate issues.‘
‘High knowledge. Excellent communication, closeness to the client, openness and receptivity.‘
‘Stands apart for it accessibility and responsiveness. Pro-business.‘
‘What makes this team unique is that they are always ready to provide innovative solutions based on their great technical knowledge. In contrast to other firms, Posse Herrera Ruiz works hand-in-hand with one’s internal needs as a client.‘
‘Andrés Montoya is outstanding. He has extensive knowledge and is always available to review his own approaches to suit the practical needs of the business.‘
Fondo Visum Capital
Phoenix Tower International
Embotelladora de la Sabana ( Coca-Cola FEMSA)
Renewable Resources Group
- Represented Terranum in the negotiation of a long-term lease agreement with MercadoLibre, a major Argentine company operating online marketplaces and online auctions, for a purpose-built logistics and fulfilment warehouse.
- Advised Phoenix Tower International regarding several M&A transactions and site acquisitions.
- Advised Embotelladora de la Sabana, one of Coca Cola´s companies in Colombia, in connection with the construction and operation of a new production plant that distributes products to the central region of Colombia.
Boutique firm Ramirez & Cardona Abogados specialises in real estate, urban planning, development and zoning matters. Clients include a number of local and international companies, including property owners, developers and private equity funds, across the construction, mining, and food and beverage industries. Managing partner José Ramón Ramírez, who enjoys a notable track record of success in real estate and urbanism, stands out for his 'practical and efficient' advice, demonstrating a strong depth of knowledge which is highly praised by clients. Ramírez leads the team which includes legal director Diana Rodríguez and senior associate Julián Cardona.
José Ramón Ramírez
‘At Ramirez & Cardona Abogados, we have found a team of professionals with extensive knowledge in the entire real estate spectrum and the issues that this involves. They have become our permanent legal support, in whom we trust many of our decisions with both partners and the entire team.‘
‘For us, both their knowledge and professionalism, and the relationship that is created with the firm, a relationship of trust and closeness, are very important. That is the main plus of Ramirez & Cardona. We feel very comfortable with them and we appreciate their permanent availability for any questions and support that may be needed. This special support comes from José Ramón Ramirez, Diana Rodriguez and Yohana Romero.‘
‘We see an evolution in the growth and professionalisation of the team, hiring senior personnel that allows faster processes. This is similarly reflected in the growth of the juniors, who show an evolution in their experience, which is important.‘
‘Ramirez y Cardona Abogados has undoubted knowledge and expertise in the real estate area, which allows us to have confidence in its opinions. José Ramón Ramirez is a very knowledgeable person on real estate issues, with a lot of experience; he always takes time to attend to as soon as possible and help us solve our problems or give us his opinion on the handling of certain matters. We feel important to the firm, and especially to José Ramón, who always attends us with priority, his concepts of security and trust giving us security.’
‘Ramirez and Cardona have adapted to the new world circumstances generated by Covid-19, facilitating interaction and consultation through virtual means with the same quality of service.’
‘It is a firm specialised in real estate issues, in which matters are known and reviewed first-hand by its main partner José Ramón Ramírez. They know the specific needs of the client well and direct their advice in a practical and efficient way to ensure satisfaction.‘
‘This firm is unique due to its deep knowledge of the real estate sector and the fact that it is completely specialised in this area. This is a firm led by a highly experienced lawyer who has managed to consolidate an excellent team and together they can offer all kinds of solutions related to the sector.‘
‘In my opinion, and due to the experiences we have had with other firms, Ramírez & Cardona Abogados always excels in real estate matters compared to other firms.‘
‘In addition to their deep knowledge of the real estate sector, the firm’s lawyers – and specifically José Ramón Ramírez and Diana Rodriguez – are characterised by a great human quality, they always have the best attitude and complete availability for their clients. It is also characteristic of them that they are pro-business lawyers, always looking, as far as possible, for alternatives and solutions to be able to successfully close transactions, unlike some of their competitors who are more dedicated to finding the problems that can finish a transaction that you solve to be able to close it.‘
‘An aspect of this firm worthy of note is the hiring of lawyers who come from working directly from companies directly related to the real estate sector (construction companies, developers and trust companies). This allows the team to understand the business from all points of view and facilitates business closure and problem solving.‘
‘Excellent. They look at the details.‘
‘The quality of the work undertaken.’
‘The lawyers at Ramírez & Cardona stand out favourably because they have extensive knowledge of issues and also undertake the task of in-depth understanding of the situation of their clients in order to propose the best strategies for the company.‘
‘José Ramón Ramírez, who has a very broad knowledge of both the market and its standards, along with the practices of other similar companies, provides very close accompaniment and is in constant search to contribute more within the processes. Valentina Stahelin and Julián Cardona have also accompanied us in the most recent processes, they have a more detailed knowledge.‘
Scheffer Colombia / Scheffer Brasil
DLA Piper Martínez Beltrán
TC Latin American Partners
Nexus Capital Partners
Latam Logistic Properties / Jaguar Growth Partners
Smurfit Kappa Colombia
San Francisco Investments
Inversiones Inmobiliarias Bambú
Hoteles Decamerón Colombia
Arcos Dorados Colombia
Boston Andes Capital
- Advised Steward in the acquisition process of three hospitals located in Bogotá and Pereira.
- Advised Smurfit Kappa Carton Colombia in the structuring of the relocation of its Medellín plant to Guarne municipality, where the company’s new plant will be built with an estimated investment of USD$50m.
- Legal advice to Grupo Scheffer in the negotiation of a long term lease contract over a very relevant extension of land (10 thousand hectares) in the eastern plains with the company Colombia Agro.
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
A prominent player in the real estate and urban planning arenas, Baker McKenzie S.A.S. offers advice in the structuring, development and negotiation of real estate transactions, both at national and international levels – facilitated by the firm’s global network of offices. Work includes advice on due diligence, urban instruments, planning and zoning regulations, real estate funds, restructuring and agreements. Alejandro Mesa heads the real estate practice, which fields impressive associate Lucía Murgueytio who is a real estate and urban planning expert. Murgueytio leads the team in urban planning transactions, which is an area of increased focus within the real estate practice. A recent highlight includes assisting Cherokee Nation Businesses in the structuring of over 5,000 properties that were confiscated by the Colombian government.
Cherokee Nation Businesses
Phoenix Tower International
International Finance Corporation
Empresas Públicas de Medellín ESP
Bonus Banca de Inversión
Hoteles Decameron Colombia
Sitel de Colombia
Yellowstone Capital Partners
- Assisting Cherokee Nation Businesses, an American company engaged by the Colombian Government, on the structuring of the sale of approx 5837 properties that were confiscated by the Colombian government.
- Advising a client in the purchase of several real estate properties located in Bogotá, Barranquilla and Medellin for the construction and development of nursing homes in Colombia.
- Supporting Phoenix Tower International in real estate and urban due diligence for more than 500 real estate properties where telecommunication towers will be built.
Brigard Urrutia fields 'impeccable professionals' in the area of real estate, according to clients. Acting in a significant number of complex and high-profile transactions, under the expert leadership of Francisco Uribe (who rejoined the firm in March 2020 to head the real estate practice), the team excels in all aspects of real estate law for an enviable client list and showing particular proficiency in urban, hospitality and agro-industrial matters. Key work highlights include advising Jaguar Capital and Arquitectura & Concreto on the structuring, construction and development of one of the biggest shopping malls in Colombia; and Suppla in the acquisition of a custom-built real estate logistic project called Real Estate Solutions. Names to note are senior associate and coordinator of the real estate practice, Natalia Hernández; Juanita Bermúdez who shows strength in drafting and negotiating real estate agreements; and Nathalia Arias who focuses on real estate investments and structuring.
‘The great follow-up they give to the projects.‘
‘Strengths: they have an enormous capacity to adapt to the needs of the client, good management of deadlines, good management of the real estate and retail market, solid work teams, flexibility and availability.‘
‘The quality/price relation of the services is good and they’re competitive in the market. Excellent monitoring, good project control and high availability.‘
‘I’d highlight the resourcefulness, creativity and disposition to give immediate answer to the needs of the clients. The practice strives to keep up with customer requirements and to respond within their tight timelines.‘
‘Natalia Hernandez is the best real estate lawyer we have worked with, she is creative, tireless and strives to understand customer needs.’
‘Impeccable professionals with excellent client treatment. They are organised, communication is easy and everything is very technical.‘
‘They are close, agile, always looking for the best way to solve conflicts avoiding complex processes and greater risks for clients. I’m very comfortable with the service.‘
‘Timeliness and reliability in responding to requirements, this practice shows strength compared to other firms. Their communication, they put themselves in the client’s shoes, explaining the different options that can be presented.‘
Patrimonio Autónomo Estrategias Inmobiliarias – PEI
Arquitectura & Concreto
Hennes and Mauritz (H&M) Colombia
Suppla (DHL Group)
Sport City (SmartFit)
- Advising Patrimonio Autónomo Estrategias Inmobiliarias-PEI on the acquisition of part of an iconic mixed-use building named “Atrio”, located in downtown Bogota, with a leasable area of 63,341 sqm – including advise on all aspects of the structuring, negotiation and closing of the transaction.
- Advising Jaguar Capital on the structuring, negotiation and legal management of Centro Comercial Nuestro Bogotá, one of the biggest shopping malls in the country with a gross leasable area of 57,630 sqm.
- Advising Equinix in the negotiation and acquisition of real estate properties to structure and constitute a free trade zone project.
UH Abogados features a multidisciplinary team, offering a broad service across many sectors – with particularly strong reputation and focus in real estate matters. Proudly based in Medellín, the firm acts for a range of national and local developers in significant real estate projects, reflecting a solid practice in transactions, planning and contract negotiation. Recently, founding partners Carolina Uribe and Carlos Fernando Henao – who co-head the five-strong team – have driven expansion into zoning regulation, agribusiness, and estate clearance matters. Associates Carolina Saldarriaga, who manages real estate transactions and licensing requirements, and Maria Adelaida Zapata who is experienced in structuring and due diligence, are also integral members of the team.
María Carolina Uribe Arango; Carlos Fernando Henao Moreno
‘Extensive knowledge regarding the necessary validations to investigate the history of the property, its provenance, its owners up to 20 years ago and to ensure that said property is free from possible lawsuits and disputes.‘
‘Great attention to details. recommendations based on facts and data clearly setting out any risks that may arise.‘
‘We have worked directly with Carolina Uribe Arango. Apart from obtaining peace of mind regarding the origin of the property, they work with teams that also undertake this for banks that can be used to finance said properties.‘
Arquitectura y Concreto
Crear Cimientos Propiedad Raíz
Instituto Colombiano De Normas Técnicas y Certificación (ICONTEC)
Presente- Fondo de Empleados Grupo Éxito
CI Flores de la Vega
- Advising Almacenes Flamingo on the negotiation and terms and conditions of some real estate contracts, as well as in the early termination of lease agreements due to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Drafting and negotiating contracts for Condiseño Arquitectos relating to the designing of two hospitals located in Buenaventura, Valle del Cauca and Usme.
- Advising Constructora Contex in the structuring of its housing project located in Sabaneta, named Kúo, involving over 550 apartments.
Founded in 2019, specialist firm Acosta & Gaviria Legal S.A.S (A&G Legal) demonstrates the ‘knowledge and professionalism of one of the large premier Colombian firms, but with a boutique feel.‘ The practice provides advice in a range of real estate and urban planning matters, boasting an impressive client roster despite the novelty and size of the firm. The five-strong team, under the ‘brilliant‘ Patricia Acosta and ‘outstanding‘ Natalia Gaviria Parra, assists local and international clients on real estate investment funds in the execution and development of projects in Colombia, as well as overseeing applications for urban licenses and zoning analysis. Recent work highlights include assisting Visum in the termination of a lease contract with a multinational company that provides transportation services through digital platforms.
Patricia Acosta Rojas; Natalia Gaviria Parra
‘Acosta & Gaviria has the knowledge and professionalism of one of the large premier Colombian firms, but with a boutique feel. While the firm specialises in real estate, its lawyers can provide solid legal knowledge in other areas and take those into account in their work.‘
‘High IQ, High EQ.‘
‘Patricia Acosta is who we deal with; she is a brilliant lawyer and is cognisant of every aspect of a project.‘
‘A&G has the ability to respond to the urgency and importance of each of our legal processes. In our opinion, the firm is one of the most agile. They maintain friendly commercial relations with their counterparts. I’d also highlight their deep knowledge, detailed study of the cases and agility in responses. Natalia Gaviria is an outstanding partner.‘
Fondo de Inversión Colectiva Visum Rentas Inmobiliarias
TC Latin America Partners (Formerly Terranum Capital)
Southern Bridge Capital Partners
Innova Capital Partners
Kiruna Capital Partners
Andean Towers Partners Colombia (ATP)
- Advised and assisted Visum in the termination of a lease contract with a multinational company that provides transportation services through digital platforms and where Visum was the lessor/landlord.
- Assisted TC Latin America Partners with the structuring and negotiation of the relevant documents required to implement the client’s involvement as an investor in a Data Center located in Bogotá’s free trade zone and that will be developed and operated by a local data centers’ developer.
- Assisting WeWork Colombia with the ongoing drafting and negotiation of lease agreements required for the WeWork expansion plan.
The seven-strong practice at CMS Rodríguez-Azuero focuses on providing structuring advice on complex real estate investment transactions in Colombia, as well as handling property portfolios, contracts, leases and litigation. Co-led by managing partner Juan Camilo Rodríguez and Jacques Simhon, who is recommended by clients as ‘a great ally’, the team regularly advises on license management, management of partial plans, and advice in sanction processes before local, district and national authorities. Key names include experienced counsel Carolina Lozano, formerly a vice president at Fidicuiaría Bogotá, who joined the firm in January 2021; and corporate associate practice director Armanda Arcaya, and August-2021 arrival who will be active on transactional activities in the sector.
Juan Camilo Rodríguez; Jacques Simhon
‘Partner availability is exceptional. Jacques Simhon is a great ally and is always available to answer your calls.‘
‘As a young partner Jacques is very aware of the importance of sustaining a commercial relationship.‘
Promotora ACR – La Serrezuela
Promotora ACR – Edificio 593
Circulo de Viajes Universal
Promotora ACR – Club de Playa Tierra Bomba
- Advised Circulo de Viajes Universal in various real estate investment projects, including the purchase of 51% of one of the most luxurious spa complex in Bogota.
- Advised Promotora ACR – Club de Playa Tierra Bombain in the acquisition and regularisation of land, held through ancestral deeds, for the real estate project Tierra Bomba Luxury Beach Club, a leisure property near Cartagena.
Correa Merino Agudelo Abogados‘ real estate and urban development department is led by partner Juan Esteban Agudelo, an expert in structuring real estate and construction projects, as well as handling related disputes for international and local clients. The Medellín-based practice focuses on negotiations, acquisitions and all types of real estate contracts, including private or public initiative projects, urban and infrastructure, large real estate developments, zoning and land use issues, hospitality, commercial and housing projects. Clients include local and international companies such as promoters, developers, construction companies and territorial institutions across sectors such as hotels, mining, industrial and telecoms. Senior associate María Camila Maya provides key support.
Juan Esteban Agudelo
Caja de Compensación Familiar de Antioquia (COMFAMA)
Grupo Luz y Fuerza Colombia
Fundación Berta Martinez de Jaramillo
Cryogas (Grupo Air Products)
Nueva Cartagena de Indias
Terrarea Grupo Inmobiliario
Inversiones Agropeacuarias el Dorado
- Advised on the reform of the horizontal property regulations of the Puerta del Norte Shopping Center.
- Advised on a large housing real estate development in the city of Medellín called “Country Life”, which will be composed by 3 projects, Primavera, Verano and Otoño.
- Advised on the urban analysis aimed at determining the most favourable urban regulation regarding the land where a plant of its property is located in the Municipality of Sabaneta, for its subsequent sale.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas‘ six-strong team acts in transactions involving commercial banks, other regulated entities and developers, in real estate projects, structuring projects, negotiating agreements and purchase of land. The firm also demonstrates ‘exceptional commercial awareness’ and has developed pioneering involvement in the newly regulated cannabis industry, advising local companies with related construction, leases, and real estate matters. Through its global network of Dentons offices, the practice is able to facilitate work for both domestic and international clients. Eduardo Cárdenas and Camilo Cortés co-head the team which includes associates María Paula Álvarez and Andres Diaz.
Eduardo Cárdenas; Camilo Cortés
‘In addition to speed, quality, knowledge of the law (all of which are expected from a top law firm), Dentons Cardenas’ team exhibited exceptional commercial awareness.‘
‘One of the best, if not the best law firm, in Colombia.‘
‘Eduardo Cardenas: Industry veteran, exceptional network.‘
‘Mauricio Borrero: an M&A expert with exceptional commercial awareness; hard working he goes above and beyond.‘
‘Maria Paula Alvarez: hard working, dedicated and with commercial awareness.‘
Fondo de Inversión Colectiva Inmobiliario de Renta Davivienda Corredores
Ithaca Capital Holdings 4
Fondo de Inversión Colectiva Azur
Fideicomiso Inversión Naranja
Capital Strategic Investments
Puertos Inversiones y Obras
- Advised the real estate investment fund of Corredores Davivienda to acquire several real estate properties located in Bogotá city, including the revision of the status of the real estate assets to be acquired, lease agreements and administrative agreements.
- Acted as counsel to Ithaca Capital Holdings 4 as the buyer on the acquisition of 100% of the issued and outstanding shares of a Cayman company, which is the beneficial owner of a five-star hotel in Colombia.
- Advised Inversión Naranja Trust to acquire multiple properties located in the San Felipe neighbourhood located in Bogotá.
The real estate practice at Garrigues offers effective advice on complex transactions involving private equity funds and trusts. The firm has good knowledge of planning and zoning regulations from a commercial and civil law perspective. Melissa Castro, who focuses on public law, real estate law and litigation, is now head of the team following her promotion to principal associate in December 2020. Carolina Pérez Forero has experience in planning and construction law, public contracts, and property management for projects. Associate Catalina López is another key name to note.
‘Garrigues has an integral team of professionals that allows it to provide a complete and quality service. Melissa Castro is an excellent professional with criteria and great knowledge in her area.‘
‘Their knowledge; they have suitable personnel for the analysis that we required.‘
‘The team is good – however, they must improve in response times.‘
‘Melissa Castro handles information with clarity and transmits reliability in the analysis carried out.‘
‘Garrigues is characterised by having a professional team, at the forefront of technology and trained to provide the customer with the best service. As a real estate law team they have not only extensive knowledge of the subject, but also the ability to adapt both in the methodology and in the particularities of wider circumstances, especially in the past year with the health situation of the country and the world, which allows be a strong competitor in the market.‘
‘The team we work with provided exceptional service. Their professional and human qualities allows them to provide a 360° service. They are very attentive, willing and resourceful lawyers.‘
‘Virtuality has allowed the service to become more efficient. To that extent, since the delivery of the service proposal, the different memoranda and billing, which have migrated to the purely virtual field, have allowed the process to be more agile and reliable for the user in a very efficient way.‘
‘This practice has a high knowledge of various branches of law, which makes their assistance comprehensive and highly beneficial for companies and in-house teams. With reasonable attention to the cost-benefit ratio and a permanent disposition to accompany the client, they are also open to consider various billing and service models. They adapt to the client’s needs and have assumed the new remote customer service modalities without losing closeness or capacity.‘
Skandia Real Estate Private Equity Fund
Andean Tower Partners
- Advised Komatsu, a Japanese manufacturer, in the USD$23m acquisition of land and construction of a warehouse.
- Carried out a due diligence over several telecom towers in different cities and towns of Colombia that Andean Tower Partners – ATP acquired from Telefónica.
- Advising Cooserpark with the urban planning and construction permits requests to build an eco-friendly ash forest.
Lloreda Camacho & Co. regularly acts for clients in cases involving urban and rural real estate assets, on matters such as title review, urban and fiduciary project structuring, license procurement, development, management and review of purchase and sales agreements, leases, right of way easements, and mortgages. Santiago Gutiérrez, who also leads the corporate and finance practice, heads a four-strong team in which Carlos Carvajal, focusing on real estate and government procurement, is an associate director. Since publication, Carvajal has been promoted to partner, effective December 2021.
Santiago Gutiérrez; Carlos Carvajal
- Advised Comcel on the negotiation, performance and construction of a housing building located in Plaza Claro, one of the fastest growing sectors in Bogotá; the advsory included the legal structuring, negotiation and execution of the contracts allowing the commercialisation and construction of the project.
- Advised Flores Ipanema on the acquisition of arable lands for flowers crop from Arcuma for the purpose of expanding its business in Colombia.
- Advised Cine Colombia on the performance of lease agreements in which Cine Colombia is lessee, as well as indicating legal strategies that were applicable in accordance to the special regulations issued by the Colombian government during the pandemic.