Baker McKenzie S.A.S.‘s extensive global network marks it as a top choice to advise on the local — and regional — competition aspects of cross-border merger filings. In particular, sources highlight group head María Carolina Pardo‘s multi-jurisdictional knowledge, which provides ‘added value to clients carrying out simultaneous operations in different countries‘. In a recent example of its cross-border prowess, Pardo advised AkzoNobel on regulatory approvals in Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Honduras connected to its acquisition of several business lines from Grupo Orbis. The group also shines in the full range of behavioural competition matters and recently represented Schlumberger in annulment proceedings arising from the Competition Authority’s decision to sanction the company following an administrative investigation. Impressive senior associate Angélica Navarro is noted for preparing ‘high-quality drafts within a tight time frame‘. Other key associates include Luís Alberto Castell, who has a focus on competition and corporate compliance, and Carlos Arboleda, who joined from Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas in January 2022. Mid-level associate Mariana Camacho is currently on study leave.
Competition and antitrust in Colombia
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
María Carolina Pardo
‘Maria Carolina Pardo and her team were excellent. They offered high-level commitment to our multi-jurisdictional filings, which were co-ordinated perfectly.’
‘María Carolina Pardo is very hands-on and provides practical solutions.’
‘The team is very responsive and gives sound advice.’
‘Associate Angelica Navarro prepared high-quality drafts within a tight time frame.’
‘They have a good capacity for co-ordination and collaboration among the members of their firm, which helps clients to obtain faster results.’
‘The partner, María Carolina Pardo, has great knowledge of legal matters, not only locally, but in a variety of jurisdictions, which gives added value to clients carrying out simultaneous operations in different countries.’
‘The competition team in Colombia, starting with its partner María Carolina Pardo, provides excellent attention to our cases and queries. Its support on defining risks, strategies and concepts gives clarity to the different situations and demonstrates its knowledge of the matters dealt with.’
‘The group is quality at work, especially María Carolina Pardo and associates Luis Castell and Angélica Navarro.’
Petróleos Sud Americanos
APM Terminals Espagna Holdings
- Represented AkzoNobel on obtaining regulatory approvals in Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Honduras, following its acquisition of several business lines from Grupo Orbis, including the Pintuco paints and coatings business.
- Assisted Sweden-based Essity with the competition aspects of its acquisition of the remaining stock of Colombia’s Productos Familia, over which it previously held shared control.
- Acted for Swiss multinational Sika in obtaining regulatory approvals from antitrust agencies in several jurisdictions, including Colombia, in connection with its acquisition of MBCC Group.
Brigard Urrutia‘s competition team leverages the firm’s top-tier corporate practice to pack a punch in merger filings. However, the group is more than just a transactional support practice, as demonstrated by its recent strong performance in competition litigation and complex behavioural matters. Dual-qualified (Colombia/New York) department head Alejandro Garcia de Brigard brings to bear an impressive record in advising on the local leg of major cross-border merger reviews; notably, he and his team handle nearly a quarter of the country’s total merger filings — he also advises on investigations and enforcement matters. García’s recent highlights include advising AstraZeneca on merger control matters related to its acquisition of Alexion Pharmaceutical and also representing Suzuki Motor de Colombia in the Competition Authority’s antitrust investigation into alleged anti-competitive conduct in the public procurement of motorcycles. Senior associate, and practice coordinator, Nicolás Cardona is also a key contact and brings significant hands-on expertise earned during a three-year stint at the Competition Authority.
Alejandro García de Brigard
Suzuki Motor de Colombia
Chevron Global Energy
Novartis de Colombia
Trichem de Colombia
The Walt Disney Company
Colombia Telecomunicaciones (COLTEL)
Latam Airlines Group
- Advised Latam Airlines Group on the merger control aspects of the metal-neutral agreement with Delta Air Lines before the National Civil Aviation Authority, triggered by the Trans-American Joint Venture Agreement between Latam and Delta.
- Successfully represented AstraZeneca in the merger control procedure triggered by its acquisition of Alexion Pharmaceutical.
- Acted as local counsel to The Walt Disney Company on several antitrust matters, including on the launch of the Disney+ and Star+ platforms in Colombia and the region.
Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos
Fielding one of the deepest benches in the competition law space, Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos‘ strength-in-depth is evidenced through its diverse practice scope, which encompasses merger control, investigations, competition litigation and consumer protection-related issues. Alfonso Miranda is held up by many as the ‘dean of the competition bar‘ due to his long-held position at the forefront of the competition area in Colombia. He led on many of the firm’s recent high-profile mandates, including successfully representing Bavaria & Cía in an unfair competition action brought by Central Cervecera de Colombia concerning alleged subscription to exclusive agreements with retailers. Other experienced names include Andrés Jaramillo Hoyos, who is representing the main port of Colombia in an unfair competition case brought by Datacontrol alleging abuse of dominance, and newly promoted (January 2022) partner Daniel Beltrán. The widely respected group also includes associates David Cotrina (competition, M&A and consumer protection) and Jorge Lamo Blanco (competition, commercial and corporate). Associate Andrés Felipe Yáñez left to establish his own firm, Uribe Yáñez Asesores Legales.
Alfonso Miranda; Andrés Jaramillo; Daniel Beltrán
‘Alfonso Miranda is the dean of the competition bar.‘
Chevron Petroleum Company
Bavaria & Cía (Ab InBev)
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura
Oleoducto Central (OCENSA)
Koba Colombia (D1)
División Mayor del Fútbol Colombiano (Dimayor)
- Represented Bancolombia — Grupo Sura on merger control matters connected to the creation of a new digital solution (ARATI) for senior citizens between Grupo Sura, Bancolombia, Protección, Sura AM and Seguros Suramericana.
- Successfully represented Bavaria & Cía in an unfair competition action brought by Central Cervecera de Colombia concerning alleged subscription to exclusive agreements with retailers.
- Represented Agrosan in a cartel investigation concerning the purchase of animal by-products in the coffee axis region.
Lawyers at Garrigues are roundly praised for their ‘proven experience in competition law'. The team’s commercial approach is also a recurring theme among sources, who assert that its ‘understanding of business helps it to deliver advice that is specific to the needs of the client'. The firm advises on the full spread of merger controls, investigations by the Competition Authority and contentious matters, with particular expertise in advising companies from heavily regulated industries, including telecoms, healthcare and aviation. Group head José Miguel De La Calle is a regulatory stalwart, who combines strength in competition, public law, administrative law and dispute resolution; he recently represented DirecTV on the competition aspects of its alliance with ETB and Telefónica to offer new services to consumers. The practice also fields an impressive band of younger lawyers, including principal associate Alejandro Acevedo, whose advice is ‘always timely and specific', and senior associates Anamaría Rico, noted for her ‘excellent client treatment, great disposition and responsiveness', and Adolfo Enrique Gomez.
Jose Miguel De la Calle
‘The firm’s differentiators are: the ability to communicate with the client through multiple channels — location is never an obstacle; strong case management; extensive knowledge of the client’s industry.’
‘The competition team is not only an expert in its field, it provides a comprehensive legal and business service. Its understanding of business helps it to deliver advice that is specific to the needs of the client.’
‘The team is comprised of professionals with extensive proven experience in competition law. Lawyers demonstrate high standards, proactive skills and availability at the request of the client.’
‘Compared to other law firms, Garrigues provides a high degree of confidentiality in the handling of our affairs as well as a commitment to our case that makes us feel comfortable and confident.’
‘José Miguel de la Calle, in addition to being an excellent lawyer, well known for his extensive experience, is characterised by his good business sense. He always provides advice from the business perspective, seeking the satisfaction of commercial interests, as well as reducing risks — legal and otherwise.’
‘Senior associates Alejandro Acevedo and Adolfo Gómez provide clarity in their concepts and opinions by being concrete and direct due to their understanding of the business/sector.’
‘Our contact is senior associate Alejandro Acevedo. His advice from him is always timely and specific, which is what one expects from a good lawyer.’
‘Senior associate Anamaría Rico is a highly trained professional, with extensive knowledge in our industry as well as in the relevant legal practice. Anamaría stands out for her excellent client treatment, great disposition and responsiveness.’
British American Tobacco
Inversora La Paz
Solovive – Kredicity
China Gezhouba Group Company
Andean Tower Partners
Falabella de Colombia
- Successfully represented DirecTV on the competition aspects of its alliance with ETB and Telefónica to offer new services to consumers.
- Acted for Andean Tower Partners in the merger control procedure connected to its acquisition of up to 35 telecoms towers owned by Telefónica and five telecoms towers owned by BTS Sitios de Colombia.
- Advised Spain-based Quirónsalud on the merger control aspects of its acquisitions of Centro Oncológico de Antioquia, Clínica Oftalmológica de Antioquia and Oftalmoservicios IPS.
Ibarra Abogados Rimon Law
Ibarra Abogados Rimon Law — formed through the October 2021 merger between respected boutique Ibarra Abogados and the Bogotá office of international firm Rimon PC — is commended by sources for its ‘great knowledge and handling of competition and antitrust matters'. The firm is widely recognised for its experience in high-profile investigations, complex competition litigation and behavioural work and has a hand in most of the headline-grabbing cases in this field. Most recently, it represented Vía 40 Express in an unfair competition proceeding filed by Conalvías Construcciones concerning the award of an infrastructure project. Experienced specialist Gabriel Ibarra and up-and-coming partner Ana Lucía Parra are the senior contacts and are highlighted together for their ability to ‘listen closely and analyse the concerns of the client with great professionalism’ — together, they led the Vía 40 Express work. The group is also a top choice to advise on merger control and day-to-day competition matters. Other key names include Alejandro Ibarra, who focuses on a mix of competition, international trade and IP matters, and highly active senior associate Felipe Martínez Sánchez.
Gabriel Ibarra; Ana Lucía Parra; Alejandro Ibarra
‘This firm is very competent and maintains a high professional quality. Lawyers demonstrate great knowledge and handling of competition and antitrust matters, in addition to their experience in a wide variety of cases.’
‘Compared to other offices, the firm has the advantage of being constantly available to receive inquiries and provides an unbeatable response speed.’
‘Lawyers maintain excellent interpersonal relationships, which differentiates this team from other firms. It generally has the correct answer for each query, which it provides with enviable efficiency. Lawyers collate a large amount of information, which is used precisely in each particular case.’
‘We are confident that we are working with a competition group that is specialised and professional.’
‘We value the team’s professionalism and knowledge of the client’s risk. Additionally, its understanding of our business is a big plus.’
‘The service provided by the firm has always been timely, continuous, based on strategic and efficient criteria, supporting growth and strengthening the corporate purpose of our company.’
‘Among the things we value in this firm are its empathy, sensitivity and assertiveness as well as the availability of its lawyers. The people with whom we have the most contact are: Gabriel Ibarra, Ana Lucía Parra and Felipe Martínez.’
‘Attorneys Gabriel Ibarra and Ana Lucía Parra, listen closely and analyse the concerns of the client with great professionalism in order to diagnose the problems raised by the client.’
Vía 40 Express
SEI Sistemas e Instrumentación
Artesanos de Cerveza
Mercadería – Justo y Bueno
- Advised BBI Colombia on competition matters related to the drafting and negotiation of multiple agreements with major Colombian beverage company, Postobón.
- Represented Vía 40 Express in an unfair competition proceeding filed by Conalvías Construcciones concerning the award of an infrastructure project.
- Provided ongoing advice to Bio D on competition law matters.
ECIJA Colombia impresses with its ability to address matters both from an ‘analytical and in-depth' perspective and also in a ‘practical and strategic way'. The team’s ability to link into the global firm’s international network is another significant advantage and positions it as a good choice for multinational matters, evidenced by its recent advice to Discovery on the Colombian competition aspects of its acquisition of AT&T’s WarnerMedia business. It also routinely handles domestic merger reviews, competition litigation and behavioural work. Former SIC antitrust superintendent Pablo Márquez led the Discovery work and co-heads the department alongside Julio Castañeda. The team also includes talented counsel Pablo Onofre — who provided sole support on the Discovery case — as well as associates Diana Lucía Castiblanco and Jorge Mario González.
Pablo Márquez; Julio Castañeda
‘It is a committed firm with excellent knowledge in competition law as well as on the management of strategies to address problems and find solutions.‘
‘The firm’s handling of competition law matters, coupled with its knowledge of how the regulatory entity (the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce) acts, makes ECIJA Colombia, led by Pablo Márquez, one of the best law firms in Colombia and LATAM.’
‘Lawyers provide personalised attention and support at all times, doing their work impeccably, while at the same time maintaining constant communication with the client to ensure everyone understands the entire legal panorama.’
‘The firm’s knowledge, ethics, intelligence and professionalism stand out from the rest of the market.‘
‘Pablo Márquez and Julio Castañeda, and their team, are excellent professionals with whom it is a pleasure to work. The firm’s knowledge of the area of competition, and its dealings with the regulatory body (in all instances), differentiates it from its competitors.’
‘ECIJA Colombia’s main virtue is its interdisciplinary team of lawyers and economists who, led by Pablo Márquez, manage to address in an analytical and in-depth way, as well as a practical and strategic way, the matters entrusted to them.‘
‘The use of technology in the analysis of precedents, and its collaborative approach to understand the needs and vision of the client, are also positive characteristics of the firm.’
‘We value the firm’s experience in matters related to competition law and economic regulation, mainly in the ICT sector, as well as its understanding and positive approach to the economic analysis of law.‘
Mercado Libre Colombia
Aerovías del Continente Americano (Avianca)
Westlake Chemical Corp
Deere & Co
Talma Servicios Aeroportuarios (Perú)
- Represented DiMayor (the major division of Colombian football) and it’s 36 football clubs in an investigation into alleged anti-competitive practices (no-poach agreements) to prevent the movement and labour freedom of football players.
- Advised Discovery on the competition aspects of its acquisition of AT&T’s WarnerMedia business in the digital and content production markets in Colombia.
- Represented Westlake Chemical before the Competition Authority in relation to its acquisition of Hexion Coatings and Composites (US).
Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)
Arguably best-known for its reputation in merger filings, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA) handled a string of successful transactional clearances for major domestic and multinational corporations over the past year. The practice also has strong experience in antitrust investigations and unfair competition litigation. Group head Mauricio Jaramillo was at the helm for the department’s key engagements, including advising KKR on obtaining clearance for its acquisition of a 60% controlling stake in ColTel’s existing fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network, and also advising AT&T on the acquisition of its WarnerMedia business by Discovery. Providing capable support is Biviana Helo, who focuses on IP and competition and was recently promoted to senior associate. The team also includes senior associate Valentina Manrique Gómez, who has an emphasis on contentious work, and associate Paula de la Calle.
VIP Green Mobility
The Middleby Corporation
Guangdong Galanz Household Appliances Manufacturing Co (Galanz Appliances)
Gases de Occidente
Skadden, Arps Slate, Meagher & Flom
- Advised KKR before the SIC on obtaining clearance for the acquisition of a 60% controlling stake in ColTel’s existing fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) network to create a joint venture between KKR and ColTel.
- Advised HP on the Colombian aspects of its acquisition of HyperX, the gaming division of Kingston Technology Corporation.
- Acted for VIP Green Mobility on the merger control aspects of its acquisition from Celsia Colombia of 100% of its shares in Celsia Move.
Regulatory boutique Jaeckel/Montoya Abogados stands out for its ‘highly technically trained team' as well as for its ‘excellent relationships with clients'. The firm acts for an impressive roster of multinational names, including Whirlpool, Colgate-Palmolive and Cargill, and is routinely involved in merger reviews and behavioural matters across all market segments. Among the names to note, Jorge Jaeckel is highly sought after for his deep expertise in complex cases, including antitrust investigations and high-profile transactions; he recently led the firm’s representation of Glencore International on the merger review connected to its acquisition of Anglo American’s and BHP’s respective 33.3% stakes in thermal coal mine, Cerrejón. Claudia Montoya is recommended for her emphasis on preventative strategies in competition and consumer law matters.
Jorge Jaeckel; Claudia Montoya
‘Jaeckel Montoya Abogados has a highly technically trained team to deal with different and diverse issues of competition and consumer law — areas of practice in which a high degree of expertise is needed and in which JMA stands out over other firms.’
‘Lawyers stay close to the client, communication is easy and comfortable, it keeps us informed on topics of interest. Compared to other firms, it has very good customer service and take the time to understand the client’s business.’
‘We appreciate the excellent integration of the team and its knowledge of the client’s needs.’
‘The team has excellent relationships with clients; maintaining a sense of proximity and closeness, which provides for more effective and efficient advice, as well as facilitating a better perception and understanding of deliverables.’
‘Our experience with the Jaeckel/Montoya team was really excellent. Our impression is that lawyers know and understand their subject in great depth.’
‘The firm’s treatment was extremely professional and characterised by closeness and frequent communication. Lawyers kept us constantly informed regarding the progress of the process.’
‘Claudia is a very communicative professional and, when necessary, has the good sense to request time to give a reasoned response.’
‘Jorge Jaeckel and Claudia Montoya attend to our requirements personally. It is a big plus that both partners are involved in answering queries and monitoring our cases.’
Laboratorio SanFer México
Laboratorio LaSanté Colombia
ETB Colombia Móvil
DHL Express/Global Business Services
Frigocentro de Manizales
TV Azteca / México
El Pais de España /Grupo Prisa
Alpina productos alimenticios
Acerias de Colombia ACESCO
Asociación Nacional de Medios de Comunicación ASOMEDIOS
Banco Caja Social
International Planned Parenthood Federation
Papeles Nacionales (PANASA)
Positiva Compañía de Seguros
- Acted for Glencore International on the merger review connected to its acquisition of Anglo American’s and BHP’s respective 33.33% stakes in thermal coal mine, Cerrejón.
- Represented ETB Empresa de Energía de Bogotá (ETB) in two merger reviews, including on the acquisition by Colombia Móvil of ETB’s 100% interest in the Temporary Union CM-ETB.
- Advised Mexico’s Laboratorios Sanfer on the competition aspects of its acquisition of a number of OTC-branded drugs from pharmaceutical companies.
Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría
Covering the waterfront on competition matters, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría draws on the wider firm’s full-service offering to advise on advisory and compliance matters, through to administrative procedures and merger reviews. The firm’s activity in the latter sphere is particularly notable and it is routinely engaged by major domestic and multinational corporations to advise on headline-grabbing transactions. Department head Diego Cardona is well versed in both transactional and contentious antitrust issues; he recently led the group’s representation of Arthur G. Gallagher & Co on the merger control aspects of its $3.2bn acquisition of the treaty reinsurance business of Willis Towers Watson. Associate Federica Del Llano left to study in Berlin in June 2021.
‘Diego Cardona is a very good and pragmatic lawyer.’
‘The firm is highly professional, with expert lawyers in the field. Very committed to providing highly competent, results-focused, first-rate advice.’
‘Lawyers explain, with dedication and detail, the facts and the legal aspects that apply to each situation.’
‘This team is dedicated to the client. They respond to every inquiry we make in a timely manner.’
‘In this area, Philippi, Prietocarrizosa & Uría fields a highly technically trained team to deal with different and diverse competition and antitrust issues — practice areas in which a high degree of expertise is needed. Its response times are efficient and its quality of service is outstanding.’
‘Diego Cardona attends to our matters personally, which is a big plus for us. In addition to continuous monitoring until the issue is resolved, on several occasions, he has addressed our concerns with our parent company directly, which has demonstrated credibility and professionalism in his area of expertise.’
‘We particularly highlight Diego’s experience and knowledge of our company, as well as our industry.’
Toyota Financial Services Corporation
Boston Scientific Corporation
Arthur G. Gallagher & Co
- Represented Arthur G Gallagher & Co in the merger control procedure of its acquisition of the treaty reinsurance business of Willis Towers Watson.
- Acted for Yumbo Limpio, the waste management operator in the municipality of Yumbo, in a highly sensitive ongoing antitrust investigation into the awarding of the waste management contract in the municipality.
- Acted for Boston Scientific Corporation on the Colombian merger control procedure concerning its acquisition of the global surgical business of Lumenis.
Posse Herrera Ruiz
‘Always available and attentive‘, Posse Herrera Ruiz‘s competition group is distinguished by its ‘impeccable‘ client service. Noted for his ‘clear and timely‘ advice, department head Jorge De Los Ríos steers a well-rounded team that advises on a mix of merger reviews, antitrust investigations and competition litigation. Recent highlights included advising Grupo Orbis on merger proceedings connected to its acquisition by AkzoNobel Coatings International, and also representing Laboratorio Franco Colombiano Lafrancol in two SIC investigations concerning the alleged violation of the domestic drug price control regime — De los Ríos led both sets of matters. The group also includes newly promoted partner Juan Pablo Bonilla, who has a focus on conflict resolution; as well as associates Laura Torrado and Adriana Otero, who both support on competition, data protection and consumer protection matters.
Jorge De los Ríos
‘The firm stands out for the quality of the service it provides. Lawyers are clear and timely, and their concepts are concrete. Jorge De los Ríos (partner) and Laura Torrado (associate) stand out.’
‘The Posse Herrera Ruiz team, led by Jorge De los Ríos, has proven experience in mass consumption and large transactions, which is extremely important for companies like ours.’
‘We have noticed the constant follow-up and supervision of the partner in all our requests. Likewise, there have been changes within the area that have not affected the work conducted at all.’
‘We also emphasise that the rates are fair and that the lawyers of the practice are always available and attentive to our requirements.’
‘We value the close customer service provided by Jorge De los Ríos and associate Adriana Otero, their knowledge of mass consumption industries and their response times’
‘We would highlight the experience and professionalism of its lawyers, at all levels. In addition, the service is timely.’
‘Lawyers care about knowing their clients in order to give complete advice. In addition to their experience and professionalism, they stand out for their customer service, which is always impeccable.’
Diageo / Diageo Colombia
TCS Solution Center Sucursal Colombia
Automotores Toyota Colombia
- Advised Saint-Gobain Weber Colombia on the merger proceeding connected to the acquisition by Cementos Argos of a minority of shares previously held by Saint-Gobain Colombia.
- Represented Colombia Móvil in presenting a request for precautionary measures against Telefonica for damages in Tigo’s infrastructure while deploying its communications networks.
- Represented Halliburton (Colombia), and several senior management employees, in an administrative investigation conducted by the SIC for allegedly withholding invoices and preventing the exercise of factoring operations.
According to satisfied clients, Avante Abogados is ‘unique and indispensable'. Despite its more compact size, the competition and regulatory boutique is well equipped to advise on merger reviews, antitrust investigations and competition litigation, demonstrating the ability to adapt to ‘each project and the client’s needs'. Practice head Carlos Esguerra is an ‘expert in competition and antitrust' and spearheads the team. In 2021, Juan David Gutiérrez left to become an associate professor at Universidad del Rosario, while associate Ana María Mesa joined Serrano Martínez.
‘Avante is unique and indispensable for us. Being a large global company, we like to surround ourselves with the best in their respective fields, and for this reason we chose Avante. Lawyers seek to see “the big picture” in relation to our company. They are constantly available to us and they know our teams and leaders.’
‘Carlos Esguerra, apart from being a professional with great experience and background, takes time to understand the business requirements.’
‘The team demonstrates expertise in various subjects. We value its proactivity and responsiveness.’
‘The firm displays total management of the issues, knows the subject under consultation and demonstrates clarity in its suggestions. Advice is simple, clear and to the point. I would recommend the team for any type of operation.’
‘Avante Abogados is a boutique firm that adapts to each project, and the client’s needs, to ensure that the final product resolves the legal problems raised.’
‘Carlos Esguerra is a resourceful and experienced attorney. One of his great virtues is his flexibility and genuine interest in learning about the business on which he will offer advice.’
‘The team is extremely capable and diligent.’
‘Lawyers are practical, intelligent and friendly. They always have answers with a level of pragmatism that is really refreshing in this profession. Carlos Esguerra is a top-notch leader and expert in competition and antitrust.’
Civil Aeronautics Authority Aerocivil of Colombia (Aerocivil)
Anheuser-Busch InBev (Dominican Republic, Panamá and Barbados subsidiaries)
Bavaria – AB InBev
Central Comercializadora De Internet
Umbra Strategy Consulting (Dominican Republic)
Phillip Morris International
Coca-Cola FEMSA (Colombia)
GoPass – Group Novus
Lamitech and Primadera (Grupo Sanford)
- Advised the Civil Aeronautics Authority of Colombia (Aerocivil) on all its competition law and economic regulation matters.
- Advised Anheuser-Busch InBev (in partnership with UMBRA Strategy Consulting) on antitrust-related matters in the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Panama and Barbados.
- Advised Bavaria on various data protection-related matters in Colombia.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas' strength in advising on the local leg of multi-jurisdictional merger reviews was recently demonstrated by its roles in a clutch of high-profile transactions. Ximena Zuleta has an emphasis on public law, competition and dispute resolution and acted for Groupe Lactalis on the merger control procedure connected to its acquisition of the international cheese business of Kraft Heinz. Senior associate Carlos Arboleda left the firm.
Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial
BASF Química Colombiana
Fresenius Medical Care Colombia
Yellowstone Capital Partners
Derco de Colombia
Kantar Ibope Media
- Advised France-based milk and dairy producer Groupe Lactalis on the merger control procedure before the SIC of its acquisition of the international cheese business of Kraft Heinz.
- Advised Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial, Spanish subsidiary of Germany-based publisher Bertelsmann, on the merger control procedure in Colombia triggered by its acquisition of RBA Libros’ children and young adult businesses.
- Represented Yellowstone Capital Partners Investment Fund II in the merger control procedure connected to its joint acquisition, together with Grupo Spectrum, of a controlling interest in two shopping malls.
DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán
The ‘highly trained multidisciplinary team' at DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán is recognised for its emphasis on investigations and competition litigation. Among its recent highlights, the practice secured key roles in several cases that intersect antitrust and consumer law matters. For example, department head María Claudia Martínez teamed up with antitrust and consumer law partner Julian Solorza to represent Carvajal Educación in two class actions brought by notebook consumers relating to an alleged cartel. Other key names include senior associate Natalia Fernández, who advises on competition, consumer protection and data privacy law.
María Claudia Martínez; Julián Solorza
‘It is a highly trained multidisciplinary team with highly specialised knowledge.’
‘The lawyers of the firm with whom I work are, in my opinion, among the most knowledgeable lawyers in the country; they have a strategic vision to contribute to the development of the business while shielding us legally.’
Jorge Mario Velasquez Jaramillo
Compañía de Puertos Asociados (Compas)
Monómeros Colombo Venezolanos
- Represented sugar-cane mills association, Asocaña, as well as four sugar mills, in successfully opposing a potential consumer class action concerning an alleged sugar cane cartel.
- Represented Carvajal Educación in two class actions brought by notebook consumers relating to an alleged cartel.
- Acted for Colombian cement and concrete company, Argos, in challenging sanctions imposed by the SIC for allegedly being part of a cement cartel.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.'s multidisciplinary practice blends skill sets in competition, consumer law and data protection. The wider firm’s IP prowess lends itself to antitrust matters relating to the life sciences and technology arenas, where it is well equipped to handle a range of merger control, advertising and compliance issues. Enrique Álvarez (competition, data protection, employment and life sciences) co-heads the team alongside newly promoted competition and consumer law specialist Darío Cadena. The team also draws on Maria Alejandra De Los Ríos, who is associate director of the privacy and data protection group.
Enrique Álvarez; Darío Cadena
Merck Sharp & Dohme
Interpublic Group of Companies Colombia
Merck Sharp & Dohme Animal Health
B Braun Avitum
- Advised Anglo American on the local antitrust aspects of the sale of its share in the Cerrejón coal mine to Glencore.
- Retained by Cuatrecasas to act as local antitrust counsel on Vinci’s acquisition of ACS’ business in several jurisdictions — the firm filed the notification before the SIC on behalf of both participants.
- Advised Drypers Andina on compliance matters, including antitrust training.
Life sciences and IP specialist OlarteMoure has a focus on contentious work, including antitrust, unfair competition and consumer law-related litigation. The team additionally advises on risk assessment and compliance matters. A former deputy head of the Office for the Promotion of Competition at the SIC, Juan Guillermo Moure is a 29-year antitrust veteran and combines strength in competition and IP. The group also benefits from the experience of life sciences expert Carlos Olarte and litigation and ADR director Juan Felipe Acosta. Associates Santiago Lombana and Camilo Andrade provide capable support in the antitrust, unfair competition and consumer law areas.
John Moore; Carlos Olarte; Philip Acosta; Santiago Lombarda; Camilo Andrade
‘A highly specialised team in the field. With regard to competition law and intellectual property, its results are outstanding, which makes it a very reliable firm.’
‘The firm’s closeness and support to the client distinguishes it from other firms.’
‘Its detailed knowledge of the issues, its thoroughness and rigour are remarkable aspects of the firm. Juan Felipe Acosta is undoubtedly one of its most important and prominent members.’
Auteco and Related Companies
Qianjiang Motor (HK)
Colombian Society of Authors and Composers (SAYCO)
Banco Caja Social
- Represented Organización Terpel in an unfair competition case brought by one of its former distributors.
- Represented Rocsa in blocking efforts to impose anti-dumping measures on dairy products imported from the US.
- Represented QianJiang, Auteco Mobility and Auteco in two civil actions filed by a former distributor in Colombia, including an unfair competition action.
‘A boutique firm with deep expertise‘, Serrano Martínez is valued by sources for its ‘experience in serving foreign companies‘ — notably, recent clients include Uber Technologies and Amazon. Increasingly prominent department head Felipe Serrano is highlighted as a ‘fundamental ally when it comes to defining business strategies‘ and specialises in advising on antitrust, privacy and consumer protection investigations, as well as competition litigation. Serrano can also call on several talented associates including ‘very intelligent lawyer‘ Andrés Jaramillo Sanz, who previously served at the SIC, Juan Felipe Traber, and new arrival Ana María Mesa, who joined from Avante Abogados in October 2021.
Felipe Serrano; Juan Diego Martinez
‘Serrano Martinez is a boutique firm with deep expertise. Its lean structure and high partner-associate ratio means you get the expert analysis you need, very quickly, but with an efficient billing allocation. The entire legal team is fluent in English and most have worked and studied abroad, which gives lawyers a unique perspective on framing risk for a foreign audience.’
‘Given the Colombian regulatory regime, it is critical to have lawyers by your side who can help you to understand the particularities and objectives of the law and the safeguards that you must take into account. It is invaluable to have an office like Serrano Martinez to support you — particularly if you and the corporation you represent are foreigners.’
‘Its strongest characteristic is simplicity. My experience with other firms is that simplicity is conspicuous by its absence and there are never answers that are clear and easy to understand and follow; it is always “yes, but keep in mind…”‘
‘The team of lawyers at Serrano is excellent and its experience in serving foreign companies helps us to understand the particularities of the Colombian market because we speak the same language.’
‘First professionalism, second simplicity, third relationship with the regulator to understand the dynamics of bodies that are so bureaucratised and sometimes difficult to understand. Felipe Serrano is absolutely exemplary and has become a fundamental ally when it comes to defining business strategies, investments, etc.’
‘Felipe Serrano has consistently over-delivered throughout. He responds to emails quickly, is always willing to chat in person or over the phone, proactively shares guidance when he thinks changes in the law might impact our business, and he has made every deadline he has ever committed to.’
‘Felipe Serrano is a lawyer with the highest academic credentials. He has experience not only in the private sector but also in the public sector. He was in the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce, where he held a fundamental and outstanding role. He is one of the most prominent lawyers in the field.’
‘Associate Andrés Jaramillo Sanz is a very intelligent lawyer, with relevant experience despite his relatively young age, and excellent client treatment skills. Associate Juan Felipe Traber stood out for his legal positions and good client relationship management.’
Uber Technologies, Uber, and Lieber Colombia (Uber Colombia)
Baker Hughes Company and Akastor
Unilever Andina Colombia
Super de Alimentos
Chevron Petroleum Company
- Represented Uber Technologies, Uber and Lieber Colombia (Uber Colombia) in an unfair competition case brought by taxi company, Cotech.
- Advised Amazon on a preliminary investigation before the Competition Authority in relation to its increased focus on ‘Big Tech’ companies.
- Advised Glencore International’s local counsel, Muñoz Tamayo & Asociados, on merger review issues in relation to Glencore’s acquisition of Anglo American and BHP’s respective stakes in the Cerrejón coal mine.
Valbuena Abogados finds favour with sources for its ability to integrate its legal advice with the ‘economic, financial and corporate context'. Competition is a mainstay at this regulatory boutique, and the practice routinely advises on investigations into anticompetitive behaviour, competition litigation and compliance matters. Gustavo Valbuena acts for both national and multinational clients on competition, consumer and public law issues and heads a team that also includes consultant Laura Buendía and senior associate Carol Sanchez Zambrano.
‘Valbuena Abogados is unique because it always has a senior lawyer attending to the client and it always thinks about the economic, financial and corporate context of its advice — lawyers do not limit their counsel to legal topics.’
‘Recently, the firm has been developing new information channels through technology tools.’
‘The culture of Valbuena law firm is is to provide a 360-degree view of the situation under review. This is due to the high-quality standards of its lawyers.’
Frontera Energy Colombia Corp.
Federación Colombiana de Futbol
Glaxosmithkline Consumer Healthcare Colombia
Uniphos Colombia Plant
Italcol y Compañías Vinculadas
Banco Caja Social
- Represented Constructora Conconcreto and Industrial Conconcreto, as members of a construction consortium, in the Competition Authority’s investigation into alleged collusion in the selection process for the award of the ‘IP Tercer Carril’ contract.
- Represented KPMG, as auditor of Nestlé de Colombia, for allegedly facilitating Nestlé de Colombia’s breach of competition law in relation to the obstruction of the free assignment of invoices.
- Advised Taxi Imperial on an administrative investigation into its alleged participation in anticompetitive practices, including abuse of dominant position and obstruction of third-party access to the market.
New entrant CMS Rodríguez-Azuero continues to record increasing activity in competition and antitrust-related work, with its practice focus encompassing a mix of merger reviews, investigations and regulatory compliance issues. Department head Lorenzo Villegas-Carrasquilla leverages his TMT expertise to pack a punch in technology-related matters. Other key contacts include senior associate María Camila Piedrahita, who supports on antitrust, TMT and international trade law.
Gases de Occidente
- Advised Promigas on the principle of neutrality’ execution in the negotiation mechanisms stated in the supply and transportation of natural gas regime in Colombia.
Over the past year, Goh advised a string of companies on competition compliance matters. The firm also has experience in representing clients in administrative investigations, judicial proceedings and merger reviews. Corporate and projects specialist Jaime Moya is the key contact, while corporate senior associate Natalia Suárez Sánchez provides support.
Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Oleoducto De Colombia
- Advised Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos on various competition law compliance matters, including restrictive competition practices.
Holland & Knight
Holland & Knight's competition practice is particularly well versed in unfair competition and IP-related work, with an emphasis on litigation. Litigator Danilo Romero Raad heads the team and combines strength in contentious competition, IP, data privacy and consumer protection matters. Associate Camila López Vigoya is also noted for her experience in administrative law cases.
Danilo Romero Raad
Garlock Pipeline Industries
GE Healthcare Colombia
- Advised Ortomec on preparing and filing an unfair competition complaint against Instruserv before the SIC.
- Advised Garlock Pipeline Industries on answering an unfair competition complaint before the Civil Court.
- Represented Mónica Cristancho in the investigation into alleged collusion in the public bidding process to construct a highway on the Bogotá-Girardot road.