Baker McKenzie S.A.S. handles a comprehensive mix of competition and antitrust issues, advising on all aspects, from compliance through to merger reviews and investigations. Highlighted as 'one of the best', local practice head María Carolina Pardo has strong experience in cross-border matters and is also head of the firm’s regional competition and antitrust practice. Key support comes from senior associates Angélica Navarro, a former SIC anti-trust investigations and merger-control analysis specialist; and non-lawyer Miguel de Quinto, an economist specialised in the technical assessment of competition cases. Additional associate support comes from former SIC advisor Luís Alberto Castell who focuses on competition and corporate compliance; and mid-level associate Mariana Camacho, who focuses on administrative law and litigation in the sector.
Competition and antitrust in Colombia
Baker McKenzie S.A.S.
‘What makes this practice unique is that the customer feels important; cases are handled with prudence, care and great customer service. The group delivers results and possess extensive knowledge in antitrust and competition law, among others‘.
‘The plus is that there is no topic that they do not know how to address; the tranquility that one feels as a client is vital. The professionalism, knowledge, experience and priority with which they handle each matter are the best qualities. Carolina Pardo and Alejandro Mesa are undoubtedly among the best partners at Baker & McKenzie‘.
‘It is a skilled team, with extensive knowledge in competition. Generates security when issuing concepts related to their practice.’
‘It is a mature team, with knowledge and good customer service, bringing kindness, responsibility and respect. Carolina Pardo, associates Luís Castell and Mariana Camacho and senior associate Angélica Navarro are highlighted‘.
Liberty Mutual Insurance
- Advised Veolia on obtaining regulatory approval prior to buying various assets from a local industry group; the approval was required due to overlaps in the garbage collection market in Bucaramanga and neighbouring towns.
- Adivised Liberty Mutual Insurance Company on antitrust matters regarding a share purchase agreement with Compañía de Seguros Bolivar.
- Conducted an internal antitrust investigation assessment on behalf of a multinational, following a complaint received through the client’s whistleblower system.
- Represented a client in the oil-and-gas sector before the competition authorities in relation to an administrative investigation.
- Advised Primax on the obtaining of prior regulatory approval for the sale of its stake in two wholesale gasoline distribution plants to Chevron.
Demonstrating a 'good strategic base', Brigard Urrutia's antitrust and competition law practice has merger control procedures before national competition authority as a central pillar. In a recent example of this, its sweet spot, the six-strong group acted on behalf of Twenty-First Century on the local merger control procedure resulting from the company's $71bn transaction with Walt Disney. The area also handles antitrust investigations and clients praise the firm's 'experience in market studies' and 'verification of antitrust behaviour'. Practice head Alejandro García de Brigard also acts before other regulating authorities such as those of the telecoms, aviation and financial sectors. Associate Nicolás Cardona, who has previous experience at the SIC, is also noted.
‘The firm can understand and adapt to the needs of my company in terms of the political management of relationships, the risks that can be taken, etc’.
‘The reputation of the firm in general lends solidity to the opinions’.
‘A lot of experience in market studies, verification of antitrust behaviour, good strategic base and great openness to respond to the needs of the company’.
‘Alejandro García is highlighted for his expertise in antitrust issues, investigations and simulations. Nicolás Cardona is also noted’.
Twenty First Century Fox
The Boeing Company
IBM De Colombia
Arthur J Gallagher Corredores de Seguros
Sony Pictures Entertainment
- Acted as local counsel to Twenty-First Century on the merger control procedure resulting from its transaction with The Walt Disney Company.
- Advised a company in the food and drinks sector on an internal investigation to assess potential antitrust infringement resultant from the imposition of remedies.
- Acted as counsel to a chemical sector company in an antitrust investigation initiated by the SIC, resulting from alleged cartel activity.
- Acted as local counsel to 3M Colombia in the SIC merger control procedure triggered by the company’s $6.7bn global merger with Acelity.
- Acted as local counsel to Boeing in an SIC merger control procedure triggered by Boeing’s $4.2bn acquisition of Embraer.
Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos
A top firm for competition and antitrust contentious matters, Esguerra Asesores Jurídicos handles a steady stream of important investigations before the SIC, unfair competition cases and class action litigation related to consumer protection. Recognised as a regulatory powerhouse in the country, the firm has also acted in many complex mergers, and is frequently consulted both by companies – in optimisation and innovation processes– and the government. The 10-strong specialised practice is led by senior partner Alfonso Miranda –who has comprehensively practiced across all sectors of the economy– and Andrés Jaramillo, whose considerable track record includes litigation and arbitration related to unfair trade practices. Competition practice director, associate Daniel Beltrán, is also noted.
‘The team is highly qualified and experienced. The commitment is unique. Their results are much more favourable than other firms for their efficient solutions. They go straight to solving the problem‘.
‘Their knowledge and experience in complex matters‘.
‘What makes this practice unique is: knowledge, opportunity and leadership on the subject‘.
‘Direct contact with the partner and hir main team, which gives the company greater peace of mind and confidence about the decisions to be made‘.
‘The partners are people with great experience and knowledge of the public nature of the client’s company, with the limitations, risks and advantages that this entails. This firm has that sensitivity and ability to advise us better than other firms that do not have that experience; Juan Carlos Esguerra, Alfonso Miranda and Andrés Parias enjoy the full trust of our business group’.
Bolsa Mercantil de Colombia
Ingenio La Cabaña
Ingenio Riopaila Castilla
Comunicación Celular – COMCEL
Chevron Petroleum Company
AB INBEV (Bavaria)
Koba Colombia (Valorem Group)
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena – SPRC
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura – SPRBUN
- Advising Kimberly Clark on antitrust investigations stemming from several national leniency applications presented by the client in cartel investigations regarding diapers, soft paper and notebooks, in Colombia, Peru and Ecuador.
- Represented Corficolombiana and Episol before the SIC after it initiated an investigation for allegedly engaging in different anti-competitive practices during the structuring and adjudication of the Ruta del Sol–sector II project.
- Represented Bavaria & Cía in an unfair competition action filed by Central Cervecera de Colombia for subscribing to exclusive agreements with retailers.
- Legal advisors of Disfruver in a fruit cartel case in Colombia related to the School Meals Program.
- Resented Quala in a class action initiated by consumers regarding a new product called Saviloe.
Garrigues shines across the spectrum of competition-law matters, namely in cartel investigations, merger controls, anti-competitive practices, consumer law and data protection. The group also handles bid rigging cases, with two recent examples entailing China Gezhouba Group Company and Ediciones Santillana. A former head of the SIC, José Miguel De La Calle leads the seven-strong practice, which was reinforced with the October-2019 incorporation of Anamaría Rico, who also has past SIC experience, from Serrano Martínez. Senior associate Alejandro Acevedo, who handles competition-related litigation, antitrust investigations and merger control regime issues, is also a key member of the team.
‘They compare favourably with the teams of other competition law firms’.
‘They are attentive and compliant with appointments. They study and sufficiently analyse the cases. They are young, experienced professionals with a capacity for synthesis’.
China Gezhouba Group Company
Quirón Salud – IDCQ
Andean Tower Partners
Beat Ride App
- Representing China Gezhouba Group Company (CGGC) in the administrative proceeding initiated by the SIC for alleged anti-competitive practices in the tender process for the Bogotá-Girardot highway PPP construction contract.
- Advised Spain-based Quiron Salud on the merger-control proceeding for the acquisition of 100% of Clinica de Medellín.
- Retained by Rappi after the SIC charged the company with several violations of the consumer protection statue and ordered the company to adjust its business model.
- Assisted Andean Tower Partners with the merger-control proceeding for the acquisition of Avantel’s dark optical fibre network.
With competition being at the core of its practice, boutique Ibarra Abogados finds favour for delivering a personalised service and the 'excellence' of all its partners. Founding partner Gabriel Ibarra, a pioneer in field, leads the practice alongside Ana Lucía Parra, with past experience in the Council of State and the Constitutional court; and Alejandro Ibarra handling unfair competition and merger controls, among other matters. The five-strong practice has an impressive track record both in major cases concerning antitrust investigations and unfair competition practices. In a high-profile example, the firm is representing the interests of Grupo Aval, the country's largest financial group, in a high-profile investigation conducted by the SIC into the Ruta del Sol highway project.
‘Ibarra Abogados is an exceptional and very professional firm in its core business. Its lawyers are always ready to serve clients, from its main partner to the most junior of its associates. It is a top team in the Colombian market‘.
‘Gabriel Ibarra is very active in academic competition matters and handles the processes in which he litigates very well‘.
‘They are very professional and fully know the subjects they work on. They are all excellent: Gabriel Ibarra, Alejandro Ibarra and Ana Lucía Parra‘.
‘They have extensive knowledge of the practice, good legal judgment, good skills in the preparation of documents and in oral proceedings before the authorities. They communicate legal strategies in a timely manner and with legal purposes without neglecting the opinion of the client. The service is personalised and the lawyers in charge of the case have comprehensive knowledge of the case‘.
Grupo Aval Acciones y Valores
Vinci Concessions Colombia – Vía 40 Express
Mercadería (Justo y Bueno)
National Business Association of Colombia (ANDI, for its acronym in Spanish)
- Represented Vinci Concessions Colombia, its CEO Bernardo Serafim, and Vía 40 Express, in an antitrust investigation before the SIC in the framework of the award of an infrastructure project.
- Represented Brinsa in a leniency programme and in the subsequent antitrust investigation.
- Acted as legal counsel to Colombia Móvil (TIGO), in antitrust matters regarding Colombia’s low band spectrum (700MHz) auction.
- Represents Yara in a merger control proceeding; the Yara-Abocoal merger was approved in 2014 subject to a series of conditions, which the company is seeking to remove.
- Provided legal counsel to National Business Association of Colombia (ANDI) regarding the analysis of the free trade zones regime from an antitrust perspective.
Best known for its robust merger review, Gómez-Pinzón Abogados (GPA)'s practice achieves a comprehensive balanced between compliance and antitrust litigation and investigations relating to cartel and price fixing infringements. Practice head Mauricio Jaramillo, who also co-leads the firm's IP area, is particularly recognised in the antitrust arena, delving, as of late, into bid rigging cases. He directs an eight-strong group, which is skilled at designing strategies to obtain clearance from the competition authority for highly-complex M&A transactions. Young associate Paula De la Calle is noted; however, senior associate Victor Ayalde Lemos left in December 2019 to become regional legal manager at DiDi, as did mid-level associate Camilo Romero who moved to communications regulator CRC.
‘The firm has knowledge and experience in the area of competition, they master the concepts very well, which generates tranquility for the client. Experience with similar clients is a plus when reviewing the firm’s proposal’.
‘It is a close firm that knows and understands the difficulties companies face’.
‘Mauricio Jaramillo has outstanding in experience, knowledge, practice and understanding of the client’s needs. There are other large firms that have precautions regarding how to interact with the authorities, which sometimes means that they do not protect the best interest of the client due to their desire to maintain a good relationship and networking with the authority‘.
‘They have a very complete team led by Mauricio Jaramillo, and they have a great team of collaborators such as associate Paula de La Calle‘.
Kirkland & Ellis
Procter & Gamble
- Acted as local counsel to Mylan on the SIC review regarding its merger with Upjohn.
- Advised an industrial company on the antitrust effects and risks related to the company’s business strategy; and in an investigation initiated by the commerce, industry and tourism ministry (MinCIT).
- Represented a food and beverages company in an administrative procedure initiated by the Superintendence of Industry and Commerce regarding claims of false advertising.
- Advised HBO Latin America Holdings on the procedure to notify the SIC following the purchase of the share capital and voting rights owned by Ole Communications.
- Acted as local counsel for Rockwell Automation and Schlumberger in the competitive assessment to submit a pre-evaluation request before the SIC.
Recognised as a top name in the field, boutique Jaeckel/Montoya Abogados receives praise both from market sources and clients, who highlight the firm as 'a key ingredient for outstanding results in critical areas'. Fielding two expert partners -former head of the SIC, Jorge Jaeckel, and managing partner Claudia Montoya, who also worked for the competition authority in a senior role- the five-strong practice is particularly capable in antitrust investigation matters and unfair competition practices, and undertaking litigation in all the higher courts. The practice also undertakes complex merger control procedures; in a recent example, acting on behalf of Hocol (Grupo Ecopetrol) in relation to the purchase of natural gas fields.
‘We work directly with Claudia Montoya and Dr Jaeckel – they were both formerly members of the SIC. They have great knowledge -also of the market in Ecuador – and helped us with a past acquisition of holdings. For us it’s a top firm in competition matters and everything is always handled as it should be.’
‘Claudia has an investigative capacity without equal. She has the expertise and experience to get to the bottom of issues and matters – or to find the person to do so. She has very much been a strategic partner for us.’
‘We have traditionally worked with them and they have been a key ingredient for outstanding results in critical areas of our business‘.
Miguel Tobon (former professional tennis player)
Colombia de Escenario
María Victoria Guarín
IFC International Finance Corporation.
Federación Colombiana de Futbol
- Represented Hocol (Ecopetrol) before the competition authority in relation to obtaining clearance for the purchase of natural gas fields located on the Caribbean coast.
- Successfully represented a former director of Prodeco accused -as an individual- of abuse of dominant position.
- Represented individual Maria Victoria Guarín in an antitrust investigation before SIC related to the construction of the Ruta del Sol highway.
- Represented Tecnoquimicas before the Council of State in a case against the SIC regarding the sanction imposed following a cartel investigation concerning the diaper market in Colombia and the Andean region.
Gaining recognition among peers and clients, ECIJA Colombia climbs in the tables on the back of a steady flow of complex work representative of all competition fronts. Fielding three expert partners and 10 associates, the specialised firm presents strong showings in merger control and antitrust lawsuits and investigations, while also undertaking international arbitration and consultation. Pablo Márquez, a former competition authority superintendent and an economic and administrative regulation expert; co-leads the team with Julio Castañeda, a specialist in surveillance and control issues for telecommunications (especially in matters related to spectrum) and on the protection of competition. Of counsel Pablo Enrique Onobre and associate Diana Lucía Castiblanco provide relevant support. Since publication, the firm has announced its association with Spanish firm ECIJA which now has a presence in 14 jurisdictions across the Latin American region.
Banco de la República
Essilor Luxottica Gropu
- Acted as counsel to Terranum on the SIC merger-control process resulting from its economic concentration with Credicorp Capital.
- Represented Conalvías Construcciones in an SIC investigation concerning alleged collusion in the Tercer Carril Bogotá–Girardot road-concession public bidding process, awarded to Constructora Conconcreto, and other companies.
- Successfully represented Arcotel and the Procuraduría Nacional del Estado of Ecuador in a $780m ICC arbitration case filed by Amerca Movil’s subsidiary Comcel; the matter involved the study and analysis of a provision of Ecuador’s telecommunication law.
- Acted as an external consultant to the OECD in a telecommunication and broadcasting review for Brazil.
With numerous multinational and regional major corporations on its client roster, Philippi Prietocarrizosa Ferrero DU & Uría primarily handles merger fillings and control procedures regarding business concentrations, also providing preventive advisory and representation in administrative proceedings relating to cartels, collusion and other restrictive conducts. Diego Cardona -who undertakes antitrust, unfair competition and consumer protection related matters- heads the four-strong team. Relevant support comes from associate Federica del Llano.
Enhance Animal Health
Boston Scientific Corporation
Sumitomo Chemical Chile
Sun Chemical Corporation
- Acted as counsel to Pfizer on the merger control procedure in Colombia regarding a new joint venture with GlaxoSmithKline involving consumer health business lines.
- Provided counsel to RCN Televisión on several confidential and sensitive antitrust matters in Colombia.
- Advised an energy company in antitrust and competition aspects of a potential bid.
- Acted as counsel to Stryker in the merger control procedure in Colombia regarding its acquisition of Wright Medical Group.
- Acted as local counsel to Tata Steel and to thyssenkrupp on the merger control procedure in Colombia related to the global formation of a proposed joint venture.
Posse Herrera Ruiz
Delivering comprehensive advice, Posse Herrera Ruiz‘s competition law practice area welcomed Jorge de los Ríos back to the team in March 2019; he arrived from his role as global competition counsel at Unilever. His hire has been instrumental in propelling the growth of the practice, particularly in merger control proceedings -its core strength– and also seen increased solidity on the investigations and litigation-side. Senior associate Juan Pablo Bonilla and associate Hernán Panesso (who primarily handle litigation, including consumer protection claims, antitrust and restrictive business practice investigations), are also key members of the team. The area made further incorporations with the December 2019 hire of associate Laura Torrado, who joined from Valbuena Abogados. However Natalia Fernández susbsequently moved to DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán as a senior associate in July 2020. Since publication Bonilla has been raised to the partnership (effective: April 2021).
‘During the time that we have worked with the Posse Herrera Ruiz team, we felt that we had an unsurpassed ally to achieve the goals of our company. For us, the quality of the service and the unsurpassed customer service is undoubted, where our needs also become the needs of the firm’.
‘The knowledge and experience of its lawyers in competition law matters is undoubted. Additionally, another motivation is the firm’s orientation towards customer service’.
‘With exceptional knowledge, Jorge de los Ríos generates enough peace of mind to entrust him with the most critical matters of the company. He has such a broad leadership capacity and knowledge that allows him to provide fast and accurate opinions on the fundamental issues of our business’.
‘Jorge de los Ríos’ immediate availability is an invaluable criterion to prefer him. Associate Hernan Panesso’s disposition, synthesis capacity and deep knowledge are qualities that are not easy to find’.
Letham & Watkins
Falabella and Despegar
Automotores Toyota Colombia
Mead Johnson Reckitt Beckinser
- Represented Home Sentry in an unfair competition case initiated by Colombia’s Football Federation claiming that the client allegedly misused a brand during the World Cup.
- Instructed by international law firm Latham & Watkins in the proceedings for integrating Carlysle and CEPSA.
- Advised both Falabella and Despegar in obtaining authorisation sfrom the competition authorities.
- Represented Puerto Antioquia in the authorisation process regarding a new port in the north of Colombia, before the competent authorities.
Led by former head of the SIC, Emilio Archila -also currently acting as a post-conflict advisor to the Colombian Government- specialist boutique Archila Abogados maintains a steady workload, particularly in contentious work. Primarily specialised in competition and consumer law in relation to economic and finance law, the six-strong team is led by Marcella Saetta, who has held senior roles at both the SIC and at the Office for Banking Superintendence. Senior associate Dionisio De La Cruz handles issues related to unfair competition, antitrust, M&A, consumer rights and habeas data; while associate Jairo Alejandro Parra directs the litigation department. Notable support comes from associate David Toro.
‘They handle various topics, have knowledge, and closeness to the client, agility in responses and scope‘.
‘Dionisio de la Cruz is highlighted for his knowledge and closeness‘.
Comunicación Celular – COMCEL
Legis – Legislación Económica
Soletanche Bachy Cimas
Quimpac de Colombia
Gases del Caribe
- Successfully defended Comcel in an unfair competition process before the SIC filed by Avantel for alleged violation of private information.
A specialised boutique characterised by 'out of the box' thinking, Avante Abogados receives fulsome praise from clients and peers alike. Founded in 2019 by Juan David Gutiérrez and Carlos Esguerra (both formerly senior associates in notable competition practice groups, and who also have significant experience in house and in the public sector), the firm has an international scope advising major global and regional companies such as Coca-Cola FEMSA and Anheuser-Busch InBev, as well as regulatory bodies. The team covers the full array of competition and antitrust matters, with particular niche expertise in those with a public aspect, as well as an in-depth offering concerning the market's ancillary regulatory, consumer and data privacy areas.
‘Avante has a high-level team and something that distinguishes them is that they are avant-garde and think outside the box when it comes to seeking solutions to legal issues, especially in the area of competition law‘.
‘Both partners have something to bring to the table and complement each other. Juan David Gutiérrez is a legal gem: the education, the experience, the assertiveness and the professionalism all together in one. It is always a plus to have Juan David on board in any project. Carlos Esguerra is a strategist and brings pragmatism and ingenuity whenever we have cases together‘.
‘As a firm, Avante is permanently updated in its concepts. Maintains a global vision and constantly analyses real life cases and precedents‘.
‘They are flexible, resilient and adapt to the client’s demands, policies and ways of working‘.
‘They provide a quality and very timely service. They are very close to the client and attend to the requirements in a timely manner, with high quality work that other firms do not provide‘.
‘Juan David Gutiérrez knows and handles the subject with total solvency and technical and practical knowledge, but he is also an accessible person who has the facility to transmit and connect with the client, generating trust‘.
‘We have used Avante as our advisor in matters regarding data bases and related issues which are of the most importance in the practice for competition and antitrust. We have found a young team with reputable experience in the field‘.
Civil Aeronautics Authority – Aerocivil
Central Comercializadora De Internet
Shepherd and Wedderburn
Philip Morris International
National Competition Authority of El Salvador
National Competition Authority of Ecuador
National Competition Authority of Panama
Norton Rose Fulbright
- Advised (in partnership with Dominican firm Rizik Advisory), Anheuser-Busch InBev on all its antitrust related matters in the Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Panamá and Barbados.
- Undertook a competition law compliance audit (primarily focused on bid rigging) on behalf of Abbott-Lafrancol.
Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas
Possessing ‘excellent knowledge of the subject’, more importantly Dentons Cardenas & Cardenas provides 'adequate solutions' by getting to know their customer's business. The practice handles a comprehensive mix of merger control procedures and antitrust issues –including high-profile bid rigging investigations before the SIC– and has strong experience in cross-border matters. Also leading the firm's public law department and widely experienced in litigation, practice head Ximena Zuleta is noted for her availability and follow-up of cases, is the key name in the area. She is supported by senior associate Carlos Ignacio Arboleda.
‘I decided to work with them because I had very good references. I was able to fully validate it since the Dentons team has an excellent knowledge of the subject but more importantly they know their clients’ businesses and that is why they offer more accurate solutions‘.
‘They are close to their clients and are always available for any urgent consultation. Additionally, they have a very good understanding of the market and the sector where their clients move, which allows a more fluid communication and more appropriate solutions‘.
BASF Química Colombiana
Analizar Laboratorio Clínico Automatizado
ICEIN Ingenieros Constructores
Gran Tierra Energy
Amazon Web Services
World Fuel Services
- Represented ICEIN Ingenieros Constructores before the SIC in relation to the antitrust investigation regarding alleged bid-rigging in the tender process to construct and operate the expansion of the Bogotá-Girardot highway.
- Acted as joint counsel to World Fuel Services and UVair European Fuelling Services in the merger control procedure derived from the acquisition by the former of UVair’s parent company, Universal Weather and Aviation.
- Advised and represented Amazon Web Services in the preparation of a response to an information request issued by the SIC as part of a preliminary inquiry by the authority.
DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán
DLA Piper Martinez Beltrán multidisciplinary practice has developed expertise in merger reviews and investigations, including bid rigging and complex competition litigation (including class actions). María Claudia Martínez, who is also an economist, is the key name in the seven-strong practice; practice director since 2016, she was raised to the partnership in August 2019 and is now also responsible for data and consumer protection matters. A recent mandate saw the team act in a cartel competition class action case derived from an SIC investigation which in 2014 imposed fines on various sugar mills. Fellow co-head and managing partner Camilo Martínez is a reputed litigator, who also handles arbitration. Senior associate Julian Solorza directs the litigation practice; and associate Daniela Huertas provides additional support. The practice was further strengthened with the July-2020 hire of Natalia Fernández from Posse Herrera Ruiz.
Carvajal Soluciones de Comunicación
Ingenio Maria Luisa
Epk Kids Smart
Erjar y Cia
IGT Services and Tecnologies
- Represented Asocaña and four (Incauca, Providencia, Ingenio Maria Luisa, Ingenio Pichichi) of the eight sugar mills sued in a cartel competition class action.
- Represented and obtained clearance for Carvajal Soluciones de Comunicación before the SIC regarding the acquisition of a digital printing machine owned by Computec Outsourcing.
Lloreda Camacho & Co.'s competition, antitrust and consumer protection practice offers a full range of assistance, with notable activity in merger controls, leniency programmes and unfair competition litigation. Practice head Enrique Álvarez leads the six-strong team. With past experience as counsel to the Exchange Control Superintendent, Álvarez -who also co-leads the corporate practice group- oversees competition matters in relation to foreign investment and M&A, both in the structuring of the merger and in the antitrust clearance process. Also at partner level, director of the government procurement area and fellow M&A practice co-head, Andrés Hidalgo is also active in competition matters. Senior associate Darío Cadena is however, the key specialist on the team; dual qualified (New York / Colombia), he is director of both the competition and consumer law practices.
Merck Sharp & Dohme
National Oilwell Varco
Glory Global Solutions
El Comercio (Atracciones Coney Island)
- Assisted National Oilwell Varco (American Pipe) with an internal investigation and successfully represented the company in its leniency application before the SIC, which launched an investigation; the firm’s strategy was instrumental in securing a waiver of all penalties imposed on American Pipe.
- Acted as counsel to Sealed Air and Automated Packaging (through K&L Gates) in the transaction and in the filling of a pre-merger notice.
- Represented Sociedad Colombiana de Cirugia Plastica Estetica y Reconstructiva against a class action brought by two groups of physicians alleging unfair competition actions and seeking to collect damages of over $3m.
The ‘robust’ team at Goh -formerly known as Godoy Hoyos- leverages its record in regulatory and corporate law to specialise in antitrust and competition issues before the authorities, particularly concerning the energy sector, where the group receives praise for its expertise and experience in the oil and gas industry, consumer and software sectors. Department head Jaime Moya, a 'benchmark in competition law', also co-leads the firm's corporate practice.
‘The quality of service is excellent. They have a robust practice, since Jaime Moya is a benchmark in competition law‘.
‘They differ in that they are knowledgeable about the oil & gas business and its regulatory peculiarities in the face of competition law. Furthermore, they are always ready to assist us, even in situations of urgency and pressure‘.
Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos
Oleoducto De Colombia
- Provided legal advice and support on the new bidding process regarding the public cloud framework agreement.
- Provided legal advice to a motor industry company in defining whether a multi-jurisdictional proposed joint venture would be in breach of antitrust law and qualify as a merger subject to merger control requirements.
With an orientation towards IP, copyright, consumer and data protection law, Holland & Knight is praised for its 'customer service, business orientation and its ability to attend to urgent matters'. Under the leadership of Danilo Romero, a reputed and specialised litigator, the four-strong practice handles investigations and merger controls before the SIC, as well as contentious matters related to restrictive commercial practices and unfair competition. Associate Bettina Sojo brings noteworthy support.
‘The team led by Danilo Romero is highly trained and committed. It is characterised by providing timely advice, with a business orientation and practical application. Additionally, they attend to requests and inquiries with a speed that few law firms offer in this matter‘.
‘Customer service, business orientation and its ability to attend to urgent matters‘.
Mónica Viviana Cristancho González
Yum! Restaurants International
Cariola Diez-Perez Cotapos
- Advised Ole Communications on an SIC merger notification regarding an operation between HBO Latin America Holdings and HBO Latin America Group, involving the spin-off of the business of basic third-party channels distribution in several countries.
- Advised SM Educacion on an SIC investigation into restrictive competition practices.
Best known for its firepower in the patent-field for life sciences and pharmaceutical companies across Latin America, OlarteMoure actually has a wider sector expertise, advising an array of national and multinationals, in particular of the food and drinks sector. The 17-strong group is led by Juan G Moure, a former deputy superintendent of industrial property matters and competition at the SIC. Fellow co-heads Juan Felipe Acosta (who was named partner in June 2020), and senior associate Isabella Herrera, direct the litigation and coordinate the competition area, respectively. The group handles the full array of competition and antitrust matters, and is well versed in merger reviews, investigations and unfair competition litigation, as well as in risk assessment and prevention.
‘It is a organised and willing team with a lot of technical knowledge. They are close and offer quick responses without neglecting depth‘.
‘All team members have a deep handling of the subject, they offer a close and timely accompaniment. There is clear and continuous information on the status and progress of the issues. Juan Guillermo Moure stands out for his good technical handling of the subject, he has the knowledge and experience required to provide clear and effective advice‘.
‘The team is an ally always ready to support its clients when required. I had the opportunity to work with other firms and I can say with certainty that with OlarteMoureI feel fully supported. Regarding competition and antitrust law, I believe they have excellent professionals, who care about their clients understanding the concepts, the implications of their actions. Their recommendations are always practical and aligned with the client’s needs and legislation‘.
‘We highlight their availability, response times, and ability to put themselves in the customer’s shoes. As people they are close, friendly, it does not feel that one is talking to the lawyer but an ally‘.
‘Their knowledge of the topics to be dealt with and the closeness with which they do so is outstanding, always understanding the needs of the company and looking for the best alternatives that always allow them to be consistent with the dynamics of the business. Outstanding partners and associates: Carlos Olarte, Juan Guillermo Moure, Juan Felipe Acosta – María Alejandra Pava – Luciana Moreno – María Clara Múnera – Santiago Lombana.‘
Astellas Farma Colombia
SAYCO (Colombian Society Of Authors And Composers)
Alpina Productos Alimenticios
- Advised and represented Nutresa Group in pre-litigation, litigation and unfair competition consultancy; as well as assistance with four different M&A filings and integration procedures.
- Advised SAYCO (Colombian Society Of Authors And Composers) on a strategy to obtain the reversal of a sanction imposed due to antitrust practices.
Boutique Serrano Martínez receives rave reviews for its 'outstanding attention and work quality' in combination with the 'highly specialised knowledge' demonstrated by its key name in the area, Felipe Serrano. With prior experience from senior roles at the SIC, Serrano represents major companies in merger review proceedings, antitrust investigations and unfair competition litigation. Recent complex work saw the practice advise Avantel on a request that precautionary measures to be imposed on Colombia Móvil, which had threatened to withdraw the client’s network connections. Working across various sectors -including aviation, oil and gas, and consumer products- the practice has also developed expertise acting for tech multinationals. At associate level, Andrés Jaramillo is also noted; but Anamaría Rico moved to Garrigues in October 2019.
‘Outstanding attention and work quality‘
‘What makes the practice of Felipe Serrano and his team unique is the highly specialised knowledge they have on antitrust issues and the appropriate approach with which they handle the issues‘.
‘Very good responses, showing expertise, and they are strategic. Their answers are quick and accurate‘.
‘Felipe Serrano is a close lawyer, who generates trust due to his great expertise and contacts‘.
‘The combination of academic knowledge specialised in competence and knowledge derived from practical experience, gives the advice that they offer a special value‘.
‘Speed, conceptual precision and seriousness. Felipe Serrano is the partner who has supported us and has proven to be an expert in the field and an excellent advisor‘.
Uber Technologies / Uber Colombia and Uber
Uber Eats Latam
Aerovías Del Continente Americano – Avianca
Chevron Petroleum Company
Unilever Andina Colombia
Inter Terminal Services
Discos Fuentes Edimúsica
- Represented Uber Technologies in a judicial proceeding for alleged unfair competition initiated by Comunicación Tech y Transporte.
- Advised Chevron Petroleum on its merger proceeding before the SIC with regards to the company’s acquisition of Primax fuel terminals; successfully approved by the SIC in phase 1.
Focusing on antitrust and unfair competition matters, boutique Valbuena Abogados makes strong showings in antitrust filings and investigations before the SIC, acting both for state entities and blue-chip companies. For instance, it is currently representing KPMG in an SIC investigation into the alleged facilitation of incurrence into anticompetitive practices. Established back in 2011 by former head of the SIC Gustavo Valbuena, the five-strong group includes the noteworthy Laura Buendía.
‘It is a boutique firm that serves clients in a personalised way, cares about knowing their needs and has a competent work team with excellent knowledge‘.
‘Gustavo Valbuena has extensive experience and knowledge in the antitrust and commercial law fields, he is an excellent professional and differentiates himself from other firms by the close accompaniment and knowledge of his client’s needs‘.
‘The experience of the team is very good, together with their knowledge and work capacity‘.
‘The experience in competition matters, the leadership of the main partner. The ability to work and always be working an extra mile‘.
Federación Colombiana de Futbol
Frontera Energy Colombia Corp
Glaxosmithkline Consumer Healthcare Colombia
Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Buenaventura
- Acted as legal counsel to the Superintendency of Ports and Transportation in order to file an administrative complaint before the SIC against the Colombian subsidiary of Uber for unfair competition.
- Represented Constructora Conconcreto and Industrial Conconcreto in an investigation by the SIC into alleged collusive behaviour regarding the infrastructure project IP Tercer Carril.