CMS > Frankfurt, Germany > Firm Profile
NEUE MAINZER STRASSE 2 - 4
60311 FRANKFURT AM MAIN
CMS > The Legal 500 RankingsCMS team routinely assists with restructurings, SE conversions and business spin-offs at national and international level and also focuses on corporate governance, sustainability matters and joint ventures in the innovation space. This expertise is regularly called upon by companies, corporations and family businesses, which also benefit from the team’s experience in the automotive, energy and telecoms sectors. The practice group is led by Antje Becker-Boley, Richard Mitterhuber and Jacob Siebert and includes stock corporation and capital markets law expert Karsten Heider.
‘Excellent team with very good commercial and legal knowledge. All result-oriented.’
‘Eckart Gottschalk is an excellent lawyer with proven business and communication skills.’
‘Short response times, friendly and technically competent advice in the area of capital market and corporate law as well as compliance. We have felt that we have been well represented for more than 20 years.’
‘Karsten Heider: Always personally approachable and technically very competent. Structurally well positioned. Good management skills in managing the mandate. Fast assignment of the topics to the internal departments.’
‘Very competent, fast-reacting contacts.’
‘Advantage of CMS: There is always someone who can answer our questions – no matter what the topic.’
‘Richard Mayer-Uellner: Always available – 365 days a year if necessary. Always fast. Always reliable. Always precise. Can’t think of a better corporate, capital markets and M&A lawyer. ‘
Bundesrepublik Deutschland /Finanzagentur GmbH
Deutsche Lufthansa AG
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
DZ BANK AG
EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
- Legal and tax advice to the ECE Group on the restructuring of the group of companies.
- Advice on stock corporation law and annual general meetings of Lufthansa AG.
- Advising Telefónica Deutschland on corporate restructuring and the establishment of a joint venture.
Other key lawyers:
‘They have in-depth specialist knowledge, solid entrepreneurial thinking and are extremely efficient and methodical in their work.’
‘Dr. Tilman Niedermaier combines specialist knowledge and strategic thinking in a unique way. He is also very patient, considerate and willing to get to know the client. He remains calm and composed in crisis situations.’
‘The team around Prof. Dr. Sachs is characterized by a high level of seniority. The interaction of team members and thus the integration of their respective areas of focus in different areas of law is above average. The teamwork both within the law firm and the cooperation and communication with the client is ideally implemented. Each skill level can contribute optimally to the result of the consultation, which means that the overall result is the best possible.’
‘Prof Dr Klaus Sachs: outstanding judgment, extremely confident in team leadership, client contact and in hearings, which makes a show unncessary.’
‘ Dr Armin Dürrschmidt: his analytical skills, challenge and involvement of the team with constant focus on strategy and goals are certainly outstanding.‘
‘ Dr Tilman Niedermaier: extremely sharp expertise, very pragmatic, calm and unexcited. Considers all hurdles at top speed.’
‘Dr Tom Pröstler: Above-average technical expertise, assertive.’
‘Through consistent cooperation between teams at various firm locations in Germany and in other European countries, it is possible to reliably and efficiently exchange and apply information evenly, and thus to achieve an even approach and settlement of similar claims from the opposite parties.’
- Representing an international biopharmaceutical company in connection with a complex and high-volume dispute with its licensing partner.
- Representing a telecommunications company in a remuneration dispute against a competitor in several fast-track arbitrations under DIS arbitration rules.
- Representation of the project company founded to set up and operate the German car toll and its two shareholders in DIS arbitration proceedings.
Germany > Employment Tier 1CMS ‘ sizeable employment law team, also distinguished through its proportion of women at almost 55%, further expanded the partner roster in January 2021 with the appointments of Kira Falter (specialist in external staffing and HR compliance), Alexandra Otto (restructuring and SE formations) , Amelie Schäfer (HR compliance) and Maximilian Koschker (digitisation and work 4.0) as well as restructuring and compliance expert Sören Seidel (previously Counsel at Allen & Overy LLP ) in September 2021. The team size predestines the group for large-scale national and cross-border restructuring, transaction and reorganisation mandates. National and international companies from sectors such as automotive, real estate, energy, technology and life sciences call upon the team's expertise in plant closures and staff reduction measures (including recent Covid-19-related matters), co-determination and SE conversions, including entailing social security issues. Technological transformation and digitisation topics are also part of the reorganisation consulting and constitute a cornerstone of the practice; here, Gerlind Wisskirchen and Björn Gaul are among the key contacts and advise on the introduction of IT systems and outsourcing as well as all other employment and corporate co-determination issues, including compliance and whistleblower system projects. The team is led by Martina Hidalgo and Daniel Ludwig, both practice heads are highly active in restructurings.
Other key lawyers:
‘The degree of specialization of individual lawyers in the law firm is a great added value for us. In the area of labor law, for example, there are specialists for AÜG or interim management. We really appreciate this verticalization within individual departments.’
‘What we particularly appreciate about Mr Bissels is that we can reach him at any time and that he answers our inquiries very quickly and on a daily basis. His advice is at the highest legal level without being academic at the same time; he always explains complex labor law problems in a way that is understandable for non-lawyers and – what is particularly important to us – always finds a pragmatic solution for our operational practice. ‘
‘The reliability of the lawyers in terms of the scope and quality of their statements and opinions is unique. There are no ad hoc answers that would later have to be put into perspective or even corrected. Difficult questions are only clarified within the law firm before the client receives an answer. The second very reliable point is the 100% adherence to schedules. Agreed deadlines are met without exception. And finally, the third – no less important point – is accessibility. Calls or e-mails are answered immediately without having to be reminded. This gives you the security of being supported and advised in urgent cases so that you can react correctly.’
‘Martina Hidalgo deserves a special mention. Her expertise and experience are impressive. Added to this is her ability to grasp and understand new client-internal relationships and to adapt her advice to the individual situation and difficulty. Without exception, she appears fully prepared, professional, convincing and assertive in court.’
‘Very experienced in complex restructuring, very practical advice, precise feedback with clear recommendations, extremely good accessibility of all contact persons, due to the size of the employment law practice, a short-term involvement is also possible; very good internal transfer of information (you always have the feeling that all contacts have the same level of knowledge).’
‘Prof. dr Björn Gaul: Outstanding knowledge in all areas of employment law, very solution-oriented and practical advice, very good eye for what is feasible, extremely good availability, very pleasant to work with.’
‘Dr. Nina Hartmann: Very strong in collective law issues, very solution-oriented and practical advice, very good eye for HR processes, extremely good availability, very pleasant to work with.’
‘I would particularly like to emphasize the excellent cooperation with Mrs. Kira Falter. Her expertise paired with friendliness is an asset. Their accessibility is also exceptionally good and their reaction speed is outstanding. If you have any questions about corporate law or labor law in other countries, she can put you in touch with colleagues within a very short time. ‘
Douglas Holding / Parfümerie Douglas
Drees & Sommer
- Advice to MAHLE on international restructuring.
- Advice to Douglas Holding / Perfumery Douglas on the implementation of the SOP project, its Europe-wide Store Optimization Program, on all labor and social law issues.
- Advice to the Sievert group of companies on the international reorganization and conversion of Sievert AG to Sievert SE.
Other key lawyers:
‘We have had very good experiences with CMS Stuttgart as an excellent one-stop shop for all energy law, corporate law and antitrust law issues. In-depth industry knowledge and experience as well as constant contact persons and low fluctuation save expensive and time-consuming training periods.’
‘Rolf Hempel is a technically outstanding, experienced, dedicated partner who is always oriented towards the needs of the client.’
‘Thematically very competent in breadth and depth.’
‘Shaghayegh Smousavi: Has in-depth legal and economic knowledge in the regulated area. Has the ability to convincingly present complex issues with the required simplicity.’
‘Well structured consulting style, interested partners at eye level.’
‘High level of expertise – profound and broad expertise – ability to classify in adjacent areas of law – high communication skills.’
‘Excellent industry knowledge; excellent knowledge and wealth of experience in the relevant legal matter; uncomplicated, pragmatic and efficient networking with other practice groups when required; extraordinarily honest team and exemplary communication and dealing with clients.’
‘Roland Wiring: Long-term cooperation; excellent knowledge of the industry and excellent knowledge as well as a wealth of experience in the relevant legal matter; pragmatic, solution-oriented and efficient advice and representation; extraordinarily pleasant personal contact.’
‘CMS is one of our key external legal advisors. We particularly appreciate the pragmatic and practice-oriented approach, the service orientation, the very high professional quality and the distinctive industry expertise. ‘
‘We value Jens Wagner both as a tough litigator and as a very competent advisor and negotiator. Due to his excellent industry expertise and his team orientation, he was able to build a powerful life sciences team around the younger partners and counsel.’
‘Roland Wiring impresses above all with his in-depth industry expertise, excellent legal know-how and extraordinarily high level of service. We value him in particular as a clever litigator, as a strategically thinking and at the same time pragmatic consultant in the fields of compliance and regulatory matters and as an expert on digitization issues.’
‘Broadly positioned. High know-how. Flexible and very professional.’
‘Jörn Witt is committed, professional, experienced and reliable.’
‘Good network for special questions.’
‘Jens Neitzel is an excellent dogmatist, excellent litigation, sovereign in oral proceedings.’
Deloitte Legal Japan
- Advising Telefónica Deutschland on the sale of roof-top radio masts to Telxius.
- Advising Telefónica Germany on the establishment of a fiber optic joint venture with Telefónica Infra and the Allianz Group.
- Advising the future shareholders of the joint venture 450CONNECT.
Hamburg Commercial Bank
Panasonic Automotive Systems
- Advising Accenture on IT and data protection law in connection with the use of blockchain technology, the development of a manual and guidelines for the legally compliant implementation of social media listening activities.
- Advice to eBay on platform regulation (Omnibus Directive, Digital Services Act, Electrical Act, Packaging Act) and the roll-out of new features and products, in particular advice on further introduction of new payment processing with eBay as the payment service provider.
- Advising Panasonic Automotive on e-mobility and infotainment.
- Ongoing advice to Barilla Deutschland GmbH on food law, unfair competition and commercial issues.
- Ongoing advice on competition law to Melitta Europa GmbH & Co. KG, in particular on questions of product design as well as environmental and recycling requirements.
- Ongoing advice and representation of Unilever Deutschland GmbH in trademark and competition law.
‘First port of call for media law; best expertise in digital media field; creative solutions; no other law firm thinks and develops such strategic concepts.’
‘Pietro Graf Fringuelli: the most innovative and strategically thinking expert on the market; way ahead of its competitors.’
‘When it comes to eSports, CMS is #1 in the market; no other competitor has as much knowledge about eSports as CMS; the practice has aligned its experiences in traditional eSports and digital media to create unique new models for eSports; years of experience.’
‘Pietro Graf Fringuelli: the undisputed number 1 in eSports in Europe; creative in the development of new structures and business models in eSports. Patrick Ehinger: in-depth knowledge of league models in eSports.’
‘Very creative and strategic thinking team; development of strategies that have not yet been practiced; matching the expertise of the litigator with in-depth knowledge of the relevant area of law (copyright, media law, etc.); very quick and able to field large teams.’
Other key lawyers:
‘Very professional, great process competence, excellent content quality.’
‘Jörg Zätzsch from the Berlin office has a lot of experience and was always available when there was a need.’
‘Very strong entrepreneurial approach coupled with a very high level of legal understanding in the PE/VC area. In addition, very fast and binding.’
‘Dr. For me, Malte Bruhns is one of the best PE/VC lawyers in Germany.’
‘Excellent advice on corporate law/ financing rounds/ M&A for SMEs, especially start-ups, with venture capital and private equity requirements. Highest quality and commitment, very reasonable and straightforward in negotiation situations. Outstanding value for money.’
‘Jörg Zätsch: Perfect corporate law all-rounder for start-ups through all growth, financing and sales phases.’
Cadence Growth Capital
Agora Innovation (iVE.ONE)
- Advising the founders of the software start-up Signavio on the sale to SAP SE.
- Advising Immatics Biotechnologies GmbH on the merger with SPAC Arya Sciences Acquisition Corp.
- Advising Infarm GmbH on a $170 million Series C financing round.
‘Industry knowledge, experience with water rights proceedings, networking.’
‘Coverage of all areas of law including tax law, high professional quality, international orientation. ‘
‘Miss Dr. Ursula Steinkemper (Stuttgart law firm): Great professional know-how, confident appearance, quick to react, also a very pleasant person on an interpersonal level.’
‘The team around Dr. Fritz von Hammerstein represented us very carefully and competently in two administrative court disputes that were important for our company. It is remarkable how in-depth the team is not only legally, but also environmentally versed and can discuss complex questions of nature and species protection law with our environmental experts on an equal footing. The excellent connection to the responsible authorities was particularly helpful. He made it possible to coordinate and implement unconventional solutions in a short period of time, which would normally have taken much longer. The cooperation with the obviously well-established team is smooth, fast and efficient.’
‘ Fritz von Hammerstein’s legal and strategic advice on environmental and planning law can be relied upon. He is very experienced. He communicates openly, understandably and is not afraid to tell unpleasant truths. He gets to the heart of complex legal and strategic issues.’
‘We really liked the Associate Dr. Clara Volkert (environmental law), who drafted very focused briefs under time pressure with great commitment and independently coordinated them with our project team, the environmental experts and the authorities.’
Femern Bælt A/S
Hamburger Wasserwerke GmbH
Hanseatic Energy Hub GmbH
K+S Minerals and Agriculture GmbH
Verbund AG und Innwerk AG
- Comprehensive advice to Femern Bælt A/S in the planning approval process for the fixed link across the Fehmarnbelt (investment volume over €7 billion) one of the largest European infrastructure projects. Defense of the plan approval decision before the Federal Administrative Court.
- Assessment and conception of all legal, in particular regulatory requirements for the hydrogen pilot project of the city of Frankfurt am Main and Mainova AG, taking into account the entire value chain.
- Advising Jochenstein AG (Verbund AG) in the planning approval process for the construction of a 300 MW pumped storage power plant on the German-Austrian border.
‘Very good accessibility and very quick response, both by telephone and email, the advice is based on very broad and well-founded knowledge of the current legal situation and on excellent knowledge of practice and the industry (energy and infrastructure sector).’
‘Dr. Volkmar Wagner also advises in an extremely practice- and solution-oriented manner, the feedback is given in the required brevity and can be applied immediately in practice.’
- Advising the bidder consortium A3 – Eiffage SA / Johann Bunte as Funders Legal Advisor and the financing financial institutions represented by KfW IPEX-Bank as common agent with regard to the PPP project (V model) on planning, construction, financing, maintenance and operation the A3 in the Biebelried – Fürth/Erlangen section.
- Advising the Baden-Württemberg Ministry of Economics, Labor and Housing on the selection of a project manager for the preparation and participation in the World Exhibition Dubai 2020, including the preparation of all tender documents and the agency agreement, management of the tendering process and activity as an external tendering agency.
- Comprehensive assessment and conception of all legal, in particular regulatory requirements for the hydrogen pilot project of the city of Frankfurt am Main and Mainova AG, taking into account the entire value chain (generation, storage, transport and consumption of hydrogen). In particular, assessment of the BImSchG procedure and planning law requirements for the construction of an electrolysis plant at the MHKW Nordweststadt.
‘Very good networking in the industry. High professional level.’
‘Very trusting and cooperative partnership.’
‘Topics are solved quickly and pragmatically.’
‘Combination of legal and tax issues is excellent.’
‘European cooperation very well covered.’
Merkur Offshore GmbH
Veja Mate Offshore Project GmbH
Albert Speer & Partner GmbH
HOCHTIEF Infrastructure GmbH
Iberbrola Renovables Deutschland GmbH
ONTRAS Gastransport GmbH Femern Bælt A/S
- Advising INEOS Phenol GmbH on the development of a new large-scale cumene production plant in the Marl Chemical Park. The advice covered the entire project development with a multidisciplinary approach including sales, licensing, settlement, real estate, planning and construction contracts.
- Advising Luxcara on an investment in the construction of four solar parks in Denmark with the Danish project developer BeGreen A/S.
- Advising Albert Speer & Partner GmbH on various Germany-wide large-scale construction projects in the field of project development, including the construction of the corporate headquarters for the MHK Group and procedural representation in various other large-scale projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Sebastian Orthmann’s CMS team is extremely conscientious, but at the same time accessible to practical solutions. The consultancy is obviously driven by performance in terms of content and not by maximizing profits.’
‘Sebastian Orthmann delegates to members of his team as far as they are able to fulfill the corresponding task. This is in the interest of everyone involved. At the same time, he remains informed about the matter and can be contacted directly. That’s how it should be.’
‘Very trusting and cooperative partnership; Issues are resolved quickly and pragmatically; Linking of legal and tax issues is excellent; European cooperation very well covered.’
‘Speed, very precise, lawyers very efficient, good advice on standard market regulations in contracts, high motivation.’
‘Efficient real estate law team, many years of expertise, good conflict management, strategic advice.’
‘Very competent and reliable team.’
Allianz Real Estate
Invesco Real Estate
Peakside Capital Advisors
Savills Investment Management
Peach Property Group
- Advising Allianz Real Estate on various transactions, including the purchase of London office buildings valued at over €440 million, the purchase of a logistics facility in Vienna and the purchase of the Eiffel Square office complex in Budapest.
- Advice to DIC Asset on the launch of their largest fund to date with a gross investment volume of €1.6 billion and subsequent advice on the acquisition of the start-up property Deka Office Hub in Frankfurt.
- Comprehensive legal and tax advice to Invesco Real Estate on the sale of the Prime Four residential portfolio to Real IS.
‘Very fast response times and good, precise support in various areas of law.’
‘The bundled knowledge of CMS, the colleagues at global locations, the expertise in all things contract law, all this makes the law firm indispensable for the specific issues that we need as a company that operates globally.’
‘Dr. Budde has outstanding professional competence.’
‘Partners and associates working together in partnership. Skills transfer from partner to associate is practiced.’
‘Very high professional competence, very good support in decision-making. Advice beyond the case.’
‘The CMS team works very well together and is well coordinated. It doesn’t matter who you’re currently talking to, because the internal coordination is going extremely well.’
‘The individual people are absolute professionals in the business and understand both the facts and the client. The work is very client-oriented.’
- Advising Gardena GmbH/ Husqvarna Group on all legal aspects in the drafting and negotiation of contracts for an alliance for the joint use of a battery platform by various manufacturers of domestic electrical appliances.
- Advice to Alfred Kärcher SE & Co. KG in various areas and on individual projects, including the drafting and negotiation of contracts with suppliers and two strategically important projects to introduce new product lines.
- Advising Eppendorf AG on the restructuring of the distribution system for Italy; Creation of a new model commercial agency contract.
Other key lawyers:
- Advising Daimler AG on damages claims asserted by diesel vehicle customers. Representation in a large number of lawsuits before German courts (first instance and appeal proceedings) and for diesel individual proceedings abroad.
- Advising a German industrial insurer on industrial damage.
- Advising a leading European pharmaceutical company on drug liability cases in Germany (including alleged vaccine damage).
‘Practical, experienced advice from a diverse and experienced team.’
‘Very broad data protection expertise in a wide variety of facets, enormous track record.’
‘Christian Runte is extremely experienced, super well connected and tactically clever.’
‘The practice area data protection/information technology is characterized by its very practical, pragmatic and solution-oriented advice. CMS understands perfectly how to work out solutions together with the client that fit the specific problem.’
‘Michael Kamps does not get bogged down in highly theoretical memos (unless they are expressly requested), but works out solutions in cooperation with the client. Kamps is a wonderful intellectual sparring partner and, thanks to his cross-industry experience, can also help with highly complex issues. He has a very pragmatic and solution-oriented consulting approach, which is particularly important for in-house lawyers.’
‘Alexandra Schluck-Amend is very knowledgeable, but what stands out is the clarity and determination with which she conveys her advice. Very appreciated. ‘
‘ The team around Dr. Schluck-Amend has the size and qualitative capacity to competently advise several – even complex – restructuring cases at the same time. ‘
Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Finanzagentur GmbH
Flughafen Friedrichshafen GmbH / Regionalflughafen Bodensee
Greensill Bank AG
Nynas GmbH & Co. KG
South 1 EPC Engineering Gesellschaft mbH (vormals MMEC Mannesmann GmbH)
- Advising the Federal Republic of Germany – Finanzagentur GmbH on granting stabilization measures from the Economic Stabilization Fund (WSF) to MV-WERFTEN.
- Appointment as insolvency administrator of Greensill Bank.
- Accompanying the renovation of a German regional airport, especially after the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.
‘We were very happy to work with CMS Germany because of the quality of partners and associates, the efficient and solution-oriented way of working of our colleagues, the reasonable price-performance ratio and the pleasant atmosphere.’
‘Excellent technical expertise and good industry knowledge.’
‘The team has a special feel for new trends and the needs of the financial sector. The cross-location teamwork also convinced us in terms of a full-service approach.’
‘Very approachable and pragmatic in dealing with the team. Very simple and uncomplicated ways that make it easy for a start-up. You are routed directly to the right people within the firm without having to worry about familiarizing yourself with the individual case. Budgets are communicated and adhered to well and fairly and are also adapted to the company background.’
‘Really unique collaboration, always available with very strong knowledge background. Familiarizing themselves with topics independently without charging extra. Requests are fulfilled in the shortest possible time and always with our perspective in mind. Absolutely pragmatic approach to individual cases, great mediation to colleagues when necessary. Billing absolutely fair, a huge support for our company!’
Willis Towers Watson
- Advising Worldline/ Ingenico Divestment on asset sales in Austria to Global Payments sro and in Belgium and Luxembourg to BNP Paribas Fortis.
- Advice to Willis Towers Watson on setting up the business organization required by regulatory law.
‘Led by partners, CMS provides a high quality, multi-jurisdictional technical support that I have not found at other law firms. In essence, CMS appears well-equipped to quickly and efficiently address the complex technical tax issues faced by multinational corporations.’
‘Tillman Kempf has provided outstanding technical support on several international transactions.’
‘I consider Tillman Kempf to be a trusted advisor who is always willing to discuss a difficult technical issue with me at short notice and will always put me in touch with another competent partner at CMS if it is outside his personal area of expertise. ‘
‘Dr. Daniel Voigt: Very responsive/accessible; good technical knowledge; recognized in the market; calm, communicative manner even in stressful/conflict situations.‘
‘The team is basically one of the strongest law firms in supervisory law.’
Compliance Tier 3In addition to preventive advice, the CMS‘ compliance team also offers assistance with forensic compliance. The group has a strong industry focus on regulated areas such as banking & finance, insurance and energy, with particularly frequent coorporations at the corporate interface during the reporting period. The team is headed by Harald Potinecke, who specialises in product liability and product recalls. Florian Block has similar expertise, with additional know how in product safety, while Eckart Gottschalk and Joachim Kaetzler have longstanding experience in corporate governance issues. Daniel Kaiser covers the criminal tax law interface and employment lawyer Amelie Schäfer, who made partner in January 2021, often advises clients on external staff compliance.
‘Profound and many years of experience, paired with a pragmatic, but comprehensive and precise approach and professional implementation. Very good availability of the partners, efficient use of time and resources.’
‘Success and solution-oriented. Practical advice.’
‘Very competent, fast-acting contacts.’
- Implementation of a global compliance risk assessment for a DAX30 group to check the legal framework of the business model in over 60 countries.
- Further development and restructuring of the compliance management system for a European strategy and IT consulting company with a focus on HR, including the internal structures and processes contained therein.
- Global development of a whistleblower system for an automotive supplier against the background of Directive (EU) 2019/1937 and its implementation in national law.
Other key lawyers:
‘Excellent team with very good commercial and legal knowledge. Very result oriented.’
‘Max Grub: High professional competence – and excellent implementation .’
‘Very competent, quick-reacting contact persons, especially Christoph Lächler, who has very sound legal knowledge and uses it optimally.’
EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Chart Industries Inc.
Discovery Communications Europe
- Advising Telefónica Deutschland on the sale of its passive infrastructure at around 10,000 rooftop locations and up to 80 tower locations for a purchase price of €1.5 billion to Telxius Telecom SA
- Advising Nordex SE on the sale of the European wind and photovoltaic project development portfolio to RWE.
- Advising Shell Overseas Investment BV on the obligation to the current consortium of shareholders to acquire 100% of the shares in Next Kraftwerke GmbH, the operator of a virtual power plant platform (VPP).
Bundesministerium für Gesundheit
- Advising Daimler AG on damages claims brought by diesel vehicle customers.
- Representing the German Federal Ministry of Health in court proceedings against providers of respiratory masks purchased as part of an open house tender.
- Representing an energy company in court proceedings related to a fraud scandal.
Media > Press and publishing Tier 3From its Hamburg location, CMS assists broadcasters, prestigious publishers and online content providers with the entire spectrum of press and freedom of speech matters, but also advises affected business individuals as well as public bodies and politicians. The practice, including key contacts Michael Fricke and Martin Gerecke, deals with issues such as false media reporting, defends clients against official warning letters, tracks and eliminates reputational damage caused by social media posts and also assists with the deletion of Google search results.CMS advises entrepreneurs, including startup entrepreneurs, and private individuals with a focus on governance issues and foundation solutions; the practice regularly acts in cooperation with the firm's corporate team and across locations. The two inheritance law specialists Christian Blum and Dirk Schauer jointly head the group.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS advice can be relied on in every respect. Timelines are always met. CMS thinks ahead and proactively outside the box.’
‘The close coordination between Christian Blum and Dirk Schauer is noticeable at all times and simplifies the discussion of complex issues with private clients practice. In addition, the different client focuses of the lawyers complement each other very well.’
‘The team around Christian Blum and Dr. Dirk Schauer convincing, also as a provider of a second opinion. The calm and unexcited communication at eye level is a pleasure.’
‘The practice has a high level of expertise in inheritance and executorship law. The colleagues reacted very quickly to new developments and always gave the clients prompt feedback. There was always someone available, which is a clear difference to other law firms. There were always concrete agreements and agreements, so that the clients were informed and involved at all times. A central ability is the development of target-oriented and special ideas.’
‘Dr. Thomas Meyer has great expertise in the law of inheritance and the execution of wills. He is full of ideas and is very oriented towards the needs of the client.’
‘High availability and commitment of the team, very good commercial understanding in the interests of the client, result-oriented and efficient negotiation, very good knowledge of the German M&A market, good network with foreign partner law firms.’
‘Dr. Oliver Wolfgramm: Result-oriented, very good commercial understanding in the interests of the client, efficient negotiation, even with difficult negotiating partners.’
‘Dr. Jessica Mohaupt-Schneider is characterized by immense specialist knowledge, goal-oriented thinking, perfect project management and a strong personality.‘
RSBG SE / RAG Stiftung
FINEXX GmbH Unternehmensbeteiligungen
One Square Advisors
Harald Quandt Industriebeteiligungen
- Advising Armira on the sale of all shares in M-Sicherheitsbeteiligungen GmbH (Mehler Vario System Group) to the investment company Deutsche Private Equity (DPE).
- Advising Luxcara on the investment agreement with the Danish project developer BeGreen A/S for a solar portfolio with a total capacity of up to 415 MW peak power (MWp).
- Advising NORD Holding on the carve-out of all shares in the Bock Group from GEA Group AG.
Public sector > State aid Tier 3CMS' state aid practice focuses on assisting with large-scale projects and advising the public sector, including several federal states and the Federal Republic of Germany's finance agency; here, the group was particularly active in advising on pandemic-related stabilisation funds. The team also acts before German and European courts and in complaint procedures before the Commission. After the previously Frankfurt-based Heinz-Joachim Freund retired, the practice is now only represented in Brussels. Practice head Michael Bauer draws on longstanding experience and leads the competition and EU team.
‘Broad range in the specialist areas; many years of experience involving young people.’
‘Specific view of the peculiarities of public clients; good communication skills both towards clients and third parties involved.’
Other key lawyers:
‘The law firm has Dr. Alexandra Schluck-Amend and Dr. Rolf Leithaus about two very distinguished partners who, together with their teams – if necessary involving other competencies of the law firm – have many years of experience, even in very complex cases.’
‘Dr. Alexandra Schluck-Amend is an outstanding lawyer who has been advising on restructuring for more than 20 years. Her sovereign and consistent conduct of negotiations deserves special mention.’
‘The team around Dr. Schluck-Amend has the size and qualitative capacity to competently advise several – even complex – restructuring cases at the same time.’
‘Miss Dr. Schluck-Amend combines deep expertise, assertiveness and creativity. She is very resilient and always friendly, even in difficult situations – and determined.’
‘Alexandra Schluck-Amend is very knowledgeable, but what stands out is the clarity and determination with which she conveys the advice.‘
AVANA Invest GmbH
Modine Manufacturing Company
- Advising AVANA Invest GmbH on issues related to the first insolvency of a capital management company in Germany and the resulting new legal issues in the area of tension between insolvency law, capital investment law and investment tax law.
- Advice to the German Property Group on the preparation and execution of more than 100 real estate sales and the examination of the enforcement of liability claims.
- Corporate, restructuring and financing law support for the sale of the European group companies of the Modine Manufacturing Company with a focus on avoiding liability risks for shareholders and managing directors.
Germany > Antitrust Tier 4CMS' antitrust team impresses with 'pragmatic and practical advice' and a full-service approach which is complemented by technical specialization within the group as well as the firm's internal network of international antitrust practices. Both Rolf Hempel, who is based in Stuttgart and took over the practice lead at the beginning of 2021, and Tim Reher focus on damages claim proceedings. 'Good strategist' Harald Kahlenberg as well as Christian Haellmigk and Christoff Soltau predominantly assist with national and multi-jurisdictional merger control matters while Markus Schöner is adept at distribution antitrust issues. The client portfolio includes global corporations and companies from the automotive, energy, consumer goods and mechanical engineering sectors. Heinz-Joachim Freund retired in September 2020.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS has good expertise in antitrust law. Key contacts can be reached quickly and are flexible.’
‘Dr. Harald Kahlenberg: very good network in the area, broad experience, very good availability.’
‘Harald Kahlenberg and Rolf Hempel are an excellent team. Both are experienced antitrust lawyers and are extremely thorough and reliable.’
‘Christian Haellmigk is an excellent antitrust lawyer. We use his team to analyze global merger approvals and always receive prompt and solid support.’
‘Dr. Bauer has extremely good knowledge of the industry, also thanks to his collaboration with the Markenverband. His advice is pragmatic and easy to implement in practice. He answers quickly and understandably.’
‘Pragmatic, unpretentious, willing to think quickly about the company’s perspective. Fast problem access. Direct guidance.’
‘Dr. Rolf Hempel is clever and acts in partnership. Nothing is exaggerated or beating around the bush. Dr. Hempel provides pragmatic, concrete legal advice.’
‘Harald Kahlenberg and his team: very experienced, competent, reliable and responsive.’
‘CMS cooperated efficiently, with foresight and with very good timing in a specific corporate financing, but also in corporate financings in the past, and delivered very good work results. The fee quota provided in advance was also not exceeded.’
‘Dr. Markus Pfaff: fluent in negotiations, pragmatic, goal-oriented.’
‘Very competent, fast-reacting contact persons.’
- Conducting an internal investigation at a German family company due to serious allegations of fraud and manipulation of invoices.
- Conducting an internal investigation at a strategy and consulting company due to violations in the area of labor law, social security law and HR compliance.
- Internal investigation at a real estate and construction company from Great Britain due to allegations of bribery against the company’s own employees when awarding contracts.
‘Very competent, fast-reacting contacts.’
EnBW Energie Baden-Württemberg AG
Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG
Chart Industries Inc.
Dürr AG Discovery Communications Europe
- Advising Telefónica Deutschland on the sale of its passive infrastructure at around 10,000 rooftop locations and up to 80 tower locations for a purchase price of €1.5 billion to Telxius Telecom SA.
- Advising Nordex SE on the sale of the European wind and photovoltaic project development portfolio to RWE.
- Support of Shell Overseas Investment BV regarding the obligation to the current consortium of shareholders to acquire 100% of the shares in Next Kraftwerke GmbH.
Germany > Tax Tier 4In 2020, Björn Demuth (Stuttgart) and tax advisor Angelika Thies (Munich) took over the management of CMS' tax law practice from Heino Büsching, who remains a key member of the team and, in line with the team-wide orientation, focuses on transaction and corporate taxes. In terms of transactional support, the group regularly assists with matters in the energy, real estate, healthcare, private equity, telecommunications and IT sectors and routinely cooperates with its corporate and M&A teams. The team also handles tax compliance, company succession issues, company audits and criminal tax matters; Demuth and Thies are also devoted to this range of issues.
Ted Rhodes; Jorge Allende Zañartu; Daniel Rodríguez; Derek Woodhouse; Enrique Lorente Ludlow; Carlos Hamann; Augusto Astorga; Michelle Barclay; Giancarlo Villafranqui
The Blackstone Group
- Advised the Federal Government (FONATUR) in a consortium with Grupo Typsa on the public procurement procedures for the design, construction and maintenance of the platform and railroad of the seven sections that make up the Maya Train in Mexico.
- Advised Porsche in a joint venture project to produce green hydrogen at a pilot manufacturing site in Chile.
- Advised Pareto Securities on the structuring of an international bond issue for the Canadian petroleum company Petrotal Corp.
Departamento Administrativo Defensoría del Espacio Público del Distrito de Bogotá – DADEP
Agence Francaise de Development
Bankaool, Institución de Banca Múltiple
Tu Dinero Digital
- Advised PetroRio on bridge and long-term financing arrangements for the acquisition of the OSX-3 (now re-named FPSO Bravo) floating oil production platform (FPSO).
- Advised Agence Francaise de Development on the budgetary loan granted to the Republic of Colombia for the financing of the 2018-2022 National Development Plan.
- Advised Kallpa Securities SAB on its capacity as structuring entity for a FIBRA bond issuance program of up to $2bn.
Ted Rhodes; Ramón Valdivieso, Jorge Allende; Juan Camilo Rodriguez; César Lechuga, Giancarlo Schievenini; Juan Carlos Escudero; Miguel Viale
Nueva Inversiones Pacifico Sur
Atlantica Infraestructura Sostenible
- Advised on the $160m acquisition of a 65% stake in casino operator Sun Dreams from Sun Latam.
- Advised Atlantica Infraestructura Sostenible on the acquisition of 100% of the shares of AAGES Spain 2, a subsidiary of Algonquin Power & Utilities.
- Advised Banco Santander on the execution of framework agreements to purchase accounts receivables from Repsol Comercial and Refineria La Pampilla.
CMS > Firm Profile
Ranked as a Top 10 Global Law Firm, CMS is a Future Facing full-service law firm with more than 70 offices in more than 40 countries and 5,000+ lawyers worldwide that combines deep local market understanding with a global overview. CMS has a strong presence in Latin America, with offices in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru. We are one of the few law firms present in all Pacific Alliance countries.
CMS offers specialist, business-focused advice in law and tax matters to clients operating in complex business and constantly changing regulatory environments.
From major multinationals and mid-caps to enterprising start-ups, CMS provides the technical rigour, strategic excellence and long-term partnership to keep each client ahead whatever its chosen markets.
For information on recent work, member firms, publications and full contact details please visit: cms.law.
Main Areas of Practice:
CMS offers a unique combination of deep knowledge, practice and expertise in areas of law including: Banking & Finance, Commercial, Competition, Corporate / M&A, Employment & Pensions, Dispute Resolution, Public Procurement, Real Estate & Construction, Tax, Compliance, Corporate Criminal Law, Intellectual Property, Technology, Media & Communications, Lifesciences & Healthcare, Insolvency, Restructuring & Liquidation, Customs Law & Trade, Consumer Products, Funds, Hotels & Leisure, Infrastructure, Insurance, Private Equity, Energy & Climate Change.
|CMS Latin America Steering Committee, Chair||Jorge Allende Z.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|CMS Brazil, Office Managing Partner, Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Ted Rhodesemail@example.com|
|CMS Chile, Managing Partner||Ramón Valdiviesofirstname.lastname@example.org|
|CMS Colombia, Managing Partner, Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Juan Camilo Rodríguezemail@example.com|
|CMS Mexico, Managing Partner, Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Enrique Lorente Ludlowfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|CMS Peru, Managing Partner, Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Juan Carlos Escuderoemail@example.com|
|Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Michelle Barclayfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Member of the CMS Latin America Steering Committee||Fernando De Carceremail@example.com|
LanguagesEnglish Spanish Portugese French German
Doing business in the UAECMS’s John O’Connor and Harkee Wilson discuss the challenges and issues businesses face operating in the UAE and investigate some of the recent changes in the business environment.
- Corporate and M&A > Corporate
- Dispute resolution > Arbitration (including international arbitration)
- Industry focus > Energy
- Industry focus > Healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus > Telecoms
- Information technology > Information technology and digitalisation
- Intellectual property > Unfair competition
- Media > Entertainment
- Private equity > Venture capital
- Public sector > Planning and environment
- Public sector > Public procurement
- Real estate and construction > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Real estate and construction > Project development
- Real estate and construction > Real estate
- Trade and distribution > Trade, distribution and logistics
- Transport > Maritime and shipping
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Product liability
- Information technology > Data protection
- Information technology > IT transactions and outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trade marks
- Restructuring and insolvency > Insolvency
- Banking and finance > Financial services: regulatory
- Banking and finance > Investment funds
- Banking and finance > Real estate finance
- Capital markets > Equity capital markets
- Consumer goods and food law
- Corporate and M&A > M&A: mid-sized deals (sub-€500m)
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation
- Media > Press and publishing
- Private clients and non-profits
- Private equity > Transactions
- Public sector > State aid
- Restructuring and insolvency > Restructuring
- Trade and distribution > Foreign trade law
- Banking and finance > Lending and borrowing
- Banking and finance > Project finance
- Compliance > Internal investigations
- Corporate and M&A > M&A: large deals (€500m+)
- Insurance > Advice to insurers
- Insurance > Insurance litigation
- Intellectual property > Patent litigation
- Latin America: International firms > Projects and energy