Mr Zia Modabber > Katten > Los Angeles, United States > Lawyer Profile
515 SOUTH FLOWER STREET
LOS ANGELES, CA 90071
- Go to...
Mr Zia Modabber
Managing Partner (Los Angeles); Chair Entertainment and Media Litigation
Time and again, major recording artists, their key advisors and core industry companies trust Zia Modabber, the managing partner of the Los Angeles offices, to handle legal issues they face in the creation and protection of their assets. With decades of experience in the music and entertainment industry, he has an ability to not only address his clients’ pressing legal issues, but also their long-term artistic and business interests. Zia is a sought-after litigator of intellectual property, First Amendment and other entertainment-related issues. And his ability to maintain a career-long perspective — along with his integrity and discretion — cements the trust between Zia and his clients that make him an invaluable counselor even outside of actual litigation.
In a high-stress, high-reward industry, some of the biggest musical artists have relied on his experience, judgment and skill: Michael Jackson (and now his estate), Trent Reznor, Stevie Wonder, Celine Dion, Usher, Chris Brown, Slash and Jeff Lynne/Electric Light Orchestra among them. Zia also represents industry powerhouses Live Nation, The Recording Academy and MusiCares, as well as personal managers, agents, business managers and record and publishing companies.
Zia’s industry relationships and reputation are tools that he brings to bear for his clients’ advantage. He has deep experience in all forms of dispute resolution, from private mediations to high-profile jury trials and appeals and everything in between. His matters include cutting-edge issues, as in his representation of the former spouse of an R&B legend in a case involving the tension between state community property laws and the federal Copyright Act. And for Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Zia won a multimillion-dollar jury verdict and the return from a former personal manager of all of Nine Inch Nails’ trademarks and other intellectual property.
Based in Los Angeles, the team at Katten takes cases on behalf of musicians and music industry organizations as well as TV and film production studios, including idea theft. Zia Modabber heads the practice and represents high-profile musical artists including Trent Reznor and Stevie Wonder, as well as institutions such as Live Nation and The Recording Academy. On the TV, film, and new media side, David Halberstadter represents companies such as ViacomCBS and Starz Entertainment. Another specialist in this area is Joel Weiner who in a recent highlight represented filmmaker Robert Rodriguez in a claim regarding the ‘Machete’ films. Tami Kameda Sims is also recommended for her expertise in pre-publication review, advising on content and performing rights analysis.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense