Mr Floyd Mandell > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Floyd Mandell
Intellectual Property Litigation
Floyd Mandell is the national co-chair and founder of the firm’s Intellectual Property department. He has represented some of the world’s most recognizable companies in intellectual property litigation. Few other lawyers have handled as many high-profile cases over the past 20 years involving copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, trade dress, false advertising and defamation. He has been lead counsel in more than 40 published decisions, many involving novel or cutting-edge issues. On more than one occasion, Floyd has litigated cases with more than $1 billion at stake for his clients.
Floyd has served as lead trial counsel for globally recognized brands in technology (Microsoft Corporation, Yahoo!, Intel, Panasonic, Sanyo, Stripe), food and beverage (PepsiCo/Gatorade, Boar’s Head, Cracker Barrel, Planet Hollywood), retail and fashion (Forever 21, Arcadia Group Limited and its Topshop brand, Tommy Hilfiger, ASICS, Fruit of the Loom), media (Cumulus Media; Westwood One; Times Mirror, Inc.), entertainment (Universal Studios; Universal Music Group; Home Box Office, Inc.; E! Entertainment Television, LLC; Scripps Network), pharma and health care (Bausch & Lomb) and beyond.
Floyd’s client relationships frequently span many years, and leading companies turn to him again and again for his business-focused guidance. They trust him with their most significant legal problems. Usually, these are disputes that threaten a famous brand, like the trademark action against PepsiCo over Gatorade’s use of a slogan referring to it as “The Sports Fuel Company.” Floyd earned a summary judgment victory for PepsiCo, which had been found liable for millions of dollars in a previous similar case. Similarly, Floyd secured a summary judgment victory for Microsoft, affirmed on appeal, involving a claimed infringement arising out of its X-Box product.
Floyd is consistently ranked among the top intellectual property litigators in the United States by Chambers USA, Legal 500, Law360, the National Law Journal, and other outlets. Recognized as a skilled mediator and arbitrator, he is a member of the Panel of Neutrals for the Alternative Dispute Resolution Program sponsored by the International Trademark Association. He is on the list of mediators/arbitrators recommended by the US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois for Lanham Act cases.
American Bar Association, Intellectual Property and Litigation Sections Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago International Trademark Association Patent Law Association of Chicago
JD, University of Illinois College of Law, 1973; BA, Northern Illinois University, 1970
Katten capitalizes on its national and international reach to represent global brands in high-stakes trademark litigation at the state and federal levels. The IP team is led by five experienced partners. In New York, global chair Deepro R. Mukerjee brings expertise to the pharmaceutical sector and Karen Artz Ash specializes in fashion disputes. In Chicago, Kristin Achterhof advises the likes of Lenovo and Motorola on global enforcement and firm IP department founder Floyd Mandell offers deep experience in representing household names. Veteran litigator Terence Ross manages high-value internet and e-commerce disputes at the Washington DC office.
With a global reach, the intellectual property team at Katten utilizes its deep bench strength to advise on high-profile copyright claims involving household names in entertainment, music, fashion and cosmetics. The team is led in New York by global chair Deepro R. Mukerjee and Karen Artz Ash, a specialist in the fashion sector, representing luxury brand designers, retailers and apparel manufacturers, along with Floyd Mandell, a deeply experienced IP litigator who most recently defended music client Cumulus Media in two class-action suits involving pre-1972 royalties. In Los Angeles, David Halberstadter, who is currently acting for ViacomCBS, and Joel Weiner, whose clients include Will Smith and Sony Pictures, provide expertise on copyright disputes in film and television.
- Copyright - United States > Intellectual property
- Trademarks: litigation - United States > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense