Ms Kimberly Smith > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Ms Kimberly Smith
The global chair of Katten’s Corporate department, Kimberly Smith helps her clients buy, sell and invest in businesses. Widely honored for her work across a range of industries, her true talent lies in structuring complex transactions and eliminating all road blocks to making them happen.
Kim has vast experience in the deals she handles: leveraged buyouts and other acquisitions, sale transactions, joint ventures and other investments. It arms her with insight into current market terms as well as knowledge of challenges that commonly arise. At the same time, every deal involves unique considerations. Whether representing a private equity fund, family office, independent sponsor, strategic acquirer or business seller, Kim listens to what really matters to them in each transaction. Then, she strategizes accordingly and gets the deal done.
Kim frequently counsels private equity funds and strategic acquirers buying and selling health care services businesses that use practice management models. She has also worked extensively on transactions involving search funds and independent sponsors and is a member of Katten’s Board of Directors.
JD, Georgetown University Law Center; BS, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, summa cum laude, Bronze Tablet
Operating across eight US offices, including Chicago, New York and Dallas, Katten runs a workload spread across M&A, LBOs, add-on acquisitions, divestitures and leveraged dividends. Kimberly Smith heads the practice and is particularly reputed for her work within the distribution, manufacturing, healthcare, business services, consumer, technology and financial services industries; she operates from the Chicago office alongside Mark Grossmann who is likewise active in a broad variety of sectors such as real estate, retail, pharmaceutical and security.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense