Mr Mark Grossmann > Katten > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
525 WEST MONROE STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60661-3693
- Go to...
Mr Mark Grossmann
Mark Grossmann is global chair of Katten’s Corporate practice. Mark knows how to make deals happen. For more than 20 years, he has guided principals and finance sources alike through critical transactions that have helped them grow, compete and realize value. He is known for a refreshingly direct approach that cuts away extraneous issues and gets to the heart of what the parties need.
Mark knows that lawyers are often seen as obstacles who can bury the deal in the legal details. He takes a different approach — one based on market knowledge, sharp analysis and a keen sense of priorities. He’ll stand firm to get the “right” terms for every deal, but never lets minor or academic issues bring progress to a halt. By keeping the deal moving toward a timely close, Mark makes sure his clients reap its full benefit, while at the same time protecting their legal interests.
A deft quarterback, Mark assembles and balances resources from around the firm to address the diverse issues that arise in every transaction. He weighs competing points of view with client priorities in mind and emerges with strategies that meet both immediate needs and long-term goals.
As global head of Katten’s corporate practice, Mark has handled hundreds of transactions in the United States and around the world. Clients often turn to him for insight on “what’s market,” in a given industry or deal structure. Not only does he know the terms, he knows why they matter and how they will play out from contract negotiations through post-closing operations.
Mark has deep experience in industries including finance, technology, manufacturing, consulting, real estate, retail, parking, pharmaceutical, security and health care.
JD, Loyola University Chicago School of Law, magna cum laude, 1997; BBA, University of Wisconsin, 1994
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Operating across eight US offices, including Chicago, New York and Dallas, Katten runs a workload spread across M&A, LBOs, add-on acquisitions, divestitures and leveraged dividends. Kimberly Smith heads the practice and is particularly reputed for her work within the distribution, manufacturing, healthcare, business services, consumer, technology and financial services industries; she operates from the Chicago office alongside Mark Grossmann who is likewise active in a broad variety of sectors such as real estate, retail, pharmaceutical and security.
- Hall of Fame - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m) - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense