Rachel Guthrie > Mourant > St Peter Port, Guernsey > Lawyer Profile
ST JULIAN'S AVENUE
ST PETER PORT
- Go to...
I’m Counsel, Head of our Guernsey Employment practice and a qualified Notary Public.
I joined the firm in January 2011 after moving from London, where I practised as a Solicitor with Allen & Overy. I was called to the Guernsey Bar in 2014.
My areas of practice are employment law, data protection and litigation. I specialise in all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment and data protection law, advising global and local companies.
Our employment team has wide experience in all areas of employment law including the drafting of employment contracts and handbooks, negotiating compromise agreements, providing representation at the Employment and Discrimination Tribunal and giving support to our corporate team on mergers and acquisitions and directors’ duties. We also regularly advise on relocation issues including housing and immigration, as well as data protection and compliance issues.
In 2021, I won ‘Woman of the Year – Future Leaders – Senior Associate’ Gold Award at the Citywealth Powerwomen Awards 2021.
I have written the Guernsey chapter in the current issue of Data Protection: Laws of the World.
- Appointed as a Notary Public, 2021
- Called to the Guernsey Bar, July 2014
- Certificat d’Etudes Juridiques Françaises et Normandes from the Université de Caen Basse-Normandie in France, December 2013
- Solicitor of England and Wales, 2008 (currently non-practising)
Successfully defending an unfair dismissal claim in the Employment Tribunal.
Advising various clients in the successful settlement of Tribunal and Royal Court claims.
Advising a banking group on a significant acquisition and subsequent restructuring and alignment of employment contracts.
Advising various clients on compliance with Guernsey data protection law.
- Member of Employment Lawyers Association and Employment Law Alliance
- Member of Association of Partnership Practitioners (APP)
- IOD Committee member
- Completed the Graduate Diploma in Law, 2004 and the Legal Practice Course, 2005
- Degree in Classics from Durham University, 2003
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Mourant‘s team is characterised by the ‘gravitas‘ of team leader counsel Rachel Guthrie and senior associate Hana Plsek, whose practice spans proceedings relating to unfair dismissal, sex discrimination and harassment, litigation outside the employment tribunal and senior exits, as well as issues related to employee benefits, pensions and share plans, redundancies and maternity support issues.