Matthew Talbot > Howes Percival LLP > Leicester, England > Lawyer Profile
Howes Percival LLP Offices
3 THE OSIERS BUSINESS CENTRE
- Go to...
Matthew is a partner and specialises in all areas of UK and European intellectual property law, particularly contentious matters. He advises clients regarding trade marks, copyright, design rights, passing off, patents, European food protection and defamation. Matthew also has substantial experience in IT disputes and has frequently appeared before the English courts, the European Court of Justice and the UK and European Patent Offices. Matthew is the head of the IP/IT team at Howes Percival, having joined in November 2006 to set up their IP/IT offering. He acts for clients across the UK and Europe covering all areas of intellectual property and large IT disputes.
Trainee solicitor Holman, Fenwick & Willan 1996-98; assistant solicitor Harvey Ingram 1998-2003; partner Harvey Ingram 2003-06; partner Howes Percival 2006 to date.
Kinds School, Worcester (1979-1986); Plymouth Polytechnic (1987-1990 Hydrographic Surveying and Marine Law 2:1); Guildhall University (1993-97 commendation in CPE and LPC); Nottingham University (2003-05 LLM in IP Litigation).
Football, cricket, fishing, cooking.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Howes Percival LLP has a strong presence in the IT and telecoms sector, and it handles contentious and non-contentious work for household-name clients. One key client is the Business Software Alliance, for whom the firm advises on issues such as software piracy and IP infringement, among other matters. Elsewhere, the firm handles a broad range of non-contentious matters for clients, including software development and maintenance, as well as outsourcing arrangements. Practice head Matthew Talbot has a strong background in IT litigation.
Howes Percival LLP acts for the Business Software Alliance (whose members include leading names such as Microsoft and Siemens), regularly receiving enforcement instructions from the client. In addition, another key client is streetwear clothing brand Just Hype, for whom the firm handles trade mark registrations and applications in more than 50 countries, as well as multijurisdictional IP litigation. Practice head Matthew Talbot is an experienced IP litigator with an interest in food and drink law. Hannah Steggles and legal director Jenna Bruce are also recommended.
With significant experience in publishing and TV, the media and entertainment team at Howes Percival LLP is particularly known for its work in copyright, defamation and privacy disputes. Coordinated by Matthew Talbot, it also features James Howarth, a contentious specialist with representative experience in both the Intellectual Property Office and High Court. More broadly, the firm covers legal issues such as passing-off, image rights and a broad spectrum of trademark issues. Jenna Bruce, renowned for her expertise in commercial areas, is recommended for the drafting of rights agreements. Vicki Howe is another name to note.
- Hall of Fame - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Hall of Fame - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Intellectual property - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands
- Employment > Employment
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Real estate > Property litigation