Matthew Talbot > Howes Percival LLP > Leicester, England > Lawyer Profile
Howes Percival LLP Offices
3 THE OSIERS BUSINESS CENTRE
- Go to...
Matthew is a partner and specialises in all areas of UK and European intellectual property law, particularly contentious matters. He advises clients regarding trade marks, copyright, design rights, passing off, patents, European food protection and defamation. Matthew also has substantial experience in IT disputes and has frequently appeared before the English courts, the European Court of Justice and the UK and European Patent Offices. Matthew is the head of the IP/IT team at Howes Percival, having joined in November 2006 to set up their IP/IT offering. He acts for clients across the UK and Europe covering all areas of intellectual property and large IT disputes.
Trainee solicitor Holman, Fenwick & Willan 1996-98; assistant solicitor Harvey Ingram 1998-2003; partner Harvey Ingram 2003-06; partner Howes Percival 2006 to date.
Kinds School, Worcester (1979-1986); Plymouth Polytechnic (1987-1990 Hydrographic Surveying and Marine Law 2:1); Guildhall University (1993-97 commendation in CPE and LPC); Nottingham University (2003-05 LLM in IP Litigation).
Football, cricket, fishing, cooking.
Matthew Talbot leads the Howes Percival LLP team out of Leicester. In Milton Keynes, James Howarth heads up the firm’s regional presence. An experienced litigator, Howarth focuses on contentious matters, particularly in the publishing, tech, and media sectors.
Howes Percival LLP‘s ‘outstanding’ team, which ‘stands out from the competition’, is a popular choice among fashion brands, retailers, food and drinks companies and manufacturers for IP and trade mark portfolio work. Litigator and a food and drink specialist Matthew Talbot heads the team, which includes Hannah Steggles , an expert in IT and data protection matters. Fellow GDPR expert in Northampton, James Howarth has a background in publishing and focuses on defamation and privacy matters. In the same office, Jenna Bruce takes the lead on software mandates. Trade mark attorney Sarah Dacre is a recent addition to the team in Leicester.
Howes Percival LLP continues to build its bench strength following Paula Dumbill ‘s recruitment last year, with the addition Chris White, who joined from Dentons; he likewise has a broad practice spanning hardware procurement, SaaS/PaaS agreements, and licensing, among other areas. The practice is co-led by litigator Matthew Talbot and Hannah Steggles .
- Hall of Fame - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Hall of Fame - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Intellectual property - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
- IT and telecoms - East Midlands > TMT (technology, media and telecoms)
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Real estate > Commercial property: elsewhere in the East Midlands
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Elsewhere in East Midlands
- Employment > Employment
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Nottingham and Derby
- Real estate > Property litigation