Mr Bart van der Wiel > Houthoff > Amsterdam, Netherlands > Lawyer Profile
GUSTAV MAHLERPLEIN 50
1082 MA AMSTERDAM
- Go to...
Mr Bart van der Wiel
As a Supreme Court specialist, Bart has been involved in numerous landmark cases on finance, insolvency and liability law, acting for financial institutions such as Achmea, AIG, Allianz, ING and Nationale-Nederlanden. He has also litigated for the bankruptcy trustees of KPNQwest against shareholders and directors, and he represents the estate of Lehman Brothers Treasury, in matters that are vital for the resolution of these insolvencies.
Bart received a Ph.D. in 2004 and has since authored many publications. He is a member of the editorial team of the Tijdschrift voor Civiele Rechtspleging journal and a highly sought-after speaker and lecturer.
Houthoff’s arbitration practice is described as ‘highly specialised, well embedded in the Dutch arbitration community, and also very nice to work with’. Its caseload includes a steady stream of high-profile international work and it often co-counsels with large well-respected international firms. The team is led by Albert Knigge, Dirk Knottenbelt and Bart van der Wiel . Knottenbelt focuses on corporate and commercial arbitration and Thomas Stouten is recommended for complex cross-border disputes relating to transactions. David Heems was recently promoted to partner, while long-serving partner Marielle Koppenol-Laforce retired in mid-2021.
The Houthoff dispute resolution team is ‘comprised of exceptionally quick and commercially minded lawyers who devise clever strategies and explain complex cases to clients in a user-friendly way’. The team is noted for its Supreme Court capability, and also handles corporate litigation and arbitration. Albert Knigge co-heads the team and has considerable experience in multiparty cross-border disputes and Dutch civil proceedings. Bart van der Wiel , who jointly heads the team, is recommended for finance, insolvency, and liability law; and Jan Willem de Groot is a name to note for Enterprise Chamber proceedings. David Heems was recently promoted to partner.
- Dispute resolution: arbitration - Netherlands
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation - Netherlands
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: equity
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Commercial litigation
- Environment and planning
- Investment funds
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Commercial, corporate and M&a
- Energy: regulatory
- Energy: transactional
- EU and competition
- Fraud and white-collar crime
- Industry focus: healthcare and life sciences
- Industry focus: Information technology
- Intellectual property: trade marks, copyrights and design rights
- Private equity
- Banking and finance: Financial services regulatory
- Capital markets: debt
- Data privacy and data protection
- Industry focus: telecoms
- Intellectual property: Patents
- Project finance and PFI
- Industry focus: Media and entertainment