Addleshaw Goddard's sizeable group is best known for its involvement in nationally significant energy and infrastructure projects, such as advising United Utilities on its £1bn HARP (North West Drinking Water) project. Utilities specialist David Shaw is an authority on DPC (Ofwat's new regulatory funding model) and is particularly active in water projects. The 'very impressive' James Reynolds, who leads on redevelopment schemes, is currently advising on the framework agreement and public procurement of refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster. Joe Wilkinson, John Emerton and director Ally MacKenzie focus on disputes, while Matthew Collingwood-Cooper is adept at infrastructure disputes involving NEC framework agreements.
Firms in the Spotlight Construction
Construction in Yorkshire And The Humber
David Shaw; James Reynolds; John Emerton; Joe Wilkinson
Other key lawyers:
Ally MacKenzie; Matthew Collingwood-Cooper
‘The team is the outstanding construction practice in Yorkshire and the North East. They understand their clients’ needs and goals and guide them through the most difficult situations.’
‘John Emerton is the eminence gris of the construction sector.’
‘The counsel we receive from this practice is second to none. Their knowledge and expertise of the construction industry and legal landscape is impressive. The are extremely responsive. They are a valued business partner.’
‘Their knowledge is the best in the industry for construction-related matters. They are extremely responsive and collaborative. I have a huge amount of trust in James Reynolds and the other individuals I work with within the practice.’
‘James Reynolds is very impressive: he tailors his advice to the client, and it’s clearly informed by a deep knowledge of the industry and the law.’
‘Matthew Collingwood-Cooper (legal director) was our main point of contact and orchestrated our combined response to the challenge we faced.’
London Luton Airport Limited
The Co-operative Group plc
Leeds Beckett University
University of Brighton
Marrico Asset Management
West Yorkshire + Transport Fund
Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospital NHS Trust
National Nuclear Laboratory
Scotia Gas Networks
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
R. N. Wooler
- Advising SGN on its Energy Futures / Hydrogen programme – the genuine future of energy. The deal includes a complete suite of precedents, plus their world-first H100 hydrogen demonstrator project.
- Advising BT on its fit-out contract with ISG for its new 18 storey, 320,000 sq ft flagship at One Braham, London.
- Acting for Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and Northumbria Healthcare Facilities Management Limited in their multiparty TCC claim against Lendlease Construction (Contractor) and Lendlease Construction Holdings (under a Parent Company Guarantee) in relation to a new build hospital in Cramlington which has multiple high value defects (including structural, M&E and fire related).
DLA Piper's group comprises of 'practitioners who know their way around construction law' specialising in development/infrastructure projects, energy projects, PFI/PPP disputes and complex engineering disputes nationally and internationally. Ian Doig specialises in all non-contentious areas of energy and infrastructure-related construction. Ben Peecock acts for central and local government, project sponsors, developers, contractors and funders on infrastructure and large-scale development projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Very responsive and diligent team with a great focus on detail.’
‘They are clever practitioners who know their way around construction law. Very keen focus on the commercial aspects of the litigation and are willing to put the hours into what is needed.’
‘Good solid performers all round.’
‘Market leading knowledge base. Has taken the time to get to know our company.’
Visa Europe Limited
Artisan Real Estate
Henry Boot Developments
Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive (Nexus)
Birmingham City Council
Kent and Medway Towns Fire Authority
- Advising Highways England on the construction documentation relating to the procurement of the £6bn publicly funded tunnel and link road contracts of the Lower Thames Crossing project.
- Advising Henry Boot Developments Limited, as development partner to Sunderland City Council and South Tyneside Council, in relation to the nationally significant development of the £400m International Advanced Manufacturing Park in Sunderland.
- Advising Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive on adding capacity to the metro network through the transfer of a Network Rail line into the network.
Pinsent Masons LLP
Pinsent Masons LLP's team has 'unparalleled expertise in this industry' across the whole lifecycle of energy, infrastructure and construction projects. Mark Harris has over 30 years of experience in the procurement, execution and operation of projects across various sectors, and also in resolving complex disputes. Stacey Collins' 'sector knowledge is second to none'; he is working with the University of Huddersfield on the negotiation of various refurbishment and development contracts. He is also an authority on 'Net Zero Carbon' issues. John Williams is recommended for commercial, strategic and risk management advice on distressed infrastructure and process engineering projects. Global head of energy Melanie Grimmitt, senior associate Naomi Stafford and practice head Simon Plunkett (a highly regarded litigator) are also recommended.
Other key lawyers:
Stacey Collins; Mark Harris; Melanie Grimmitt; John Williams; Naomi Stafford
‘Readily available with prompt, straightforward advice and help on matters as they arise.’
‘The team has unparalleled expertise in this industry with the ability to provide clear and concise guidance when needed’
‘Broad knowledge with lots of depth in the teams providing clear, concise, commercially valuable advice.’
‘Stacey Collins – His sector knowledge is second to none and he knows just the right time to provide that important advice and steer but in a collaborative manner.’
Drax Group PLC
Flogas Britain Limited (part of DCC PLC)
RWE Renewables UK
University of Huddersfield
Johnson Matthey Plc
University of Leeds
University of Sheffield
Cumbria County Council
Guildford Borough Council
Walter Lily & Co
Balfour Beatty Group
Kier Infrastructure and Overseas
Royal Bam Group
Kier Infrastructure Limited /Kier Construction Limited
Longzhu Oilfield Services Pte Ltd
Nordex UK Limited
Mitsubishi European Power System Group
McLaren Construction (Midlands & North) Limited
UK Energy Reserve
UK Power Reserve
- Advising Flogas on its project to convert the National Grid liquefied natural gas facility at Avonmouth into a huge liquefied petroleum gas storage terminal with room to store 34,564 tonnes of LPG.
- Advised Walter Lilly & Co Ltd successfully at trial and in the Court of Appeal in respect of a dispute as to which party bears liability for project delays arising from planning delays where the contract is silent on where that risk should lie.
- Advised Kier Group Plc in relation to its group-wide response to the COVID-19 pandemic, including on the application of the pandemic to live contracts, assessing UK Government law/ guidance/approach, drafting first-of-a-kind contractual provisions across multiple main-contract and subcontract forms/templates, as well as negotiating and implementing contractual amendments for long-term contracts.
Squire Patton Boggs has a strong reputation in energy infrastructure, particularly in renewables, combined power and water projects (both nationally and in emerging markets). James Duckworth's practice spans all aspects of procurement of major development and infrastructure projects, and he is an expert in PPP/PFI projects. He continues to develop his practice in the Middle East, receiving new instructions relating to government advisory work and large-scale infrastructure projects. Zakir Mulla advises public sector organisations and national developers on landmark infrastructure and regeneration projects in relation to student accommodation, primary care and forecourt development.
Other key lawyers:
Muse Developments Limited
Leeds City Region Revolving Investment Fund LLP
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S
Frontier Investment Management, Denmark
Chania Green Generation Limited
NKT Cables A/S
Global Wind Services US Inc
Selenkei Investment Limited and Cedate Limited
Capital and Centric
Taqat Development Co
GSC Holdings (Pty) Limited
Central & Urban
- Advising a GCC government on a review of the current PPP legislative and regulatory framework and engaging with stakeholders on how this framework might change.
- Assisted with establishing the Leeds City Region Revolving Investment Fund LLP, focused on provide funding for commercially viable, private sector led infrastructure and construction projects in the Leeds region.
- Advising MHI Vestas Offshore Wind Taiwan Ltd on the terms and conditions of its Turbine Supply and Installation Agreements and long term service contracts for the circa 600 MW ChangFang and Xidao offshore wind farms, Taiwan, including advising in relation to extensive requirements for localising wind turbine component manufacture in Taiwan, as imposed by the Taiwanese Government.
Walker Morris LLP's 'excellent team' demonstrates 'great strength in depth and a broad range of skills and experience' across a diverse range of sectors and at all levels of the supply chain. Its construction advisory practice is complemented by a strong contentious offering. Martin Scott and Paul Hargreaves are experienced in representing multiple claimants in high-value defect rectification claims and professional negligence cases. Tom Peel, Jules Harbage and Daniel Lyon are the key partners for energy, infrastructure and student development work. Director Carly Thorpe is skilled at drafting and negotiating complex contracts.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Peel; Jules Harbage; Paul Hargreaves; Dan Lyon; Carly Thorpe
‘Carly Thorpe deserves particular mention for her succinct advice.’
‘The Walker Morris team offers a first class legal service in an agile and responsive team. I have worked with them on major transactions where they tapered in seamlessly operating as if an extension of the in-house team. They could be relied upon to drive a transaction forward whilst engaging with the business and its priorities.’
‘It’s an excellent team, with great strength in depth and a broad range of skills and experience.’
‘Paul Hargreaves’ dedication to his clients is second to none. He will fight their corner for as long as it takes until he gets the best result possible for them. Martin Scott is a commercial animal, whose strategic insight is beyond compare. Tom Peel is calmness personified, never phased by any twist or turn that might arise in a case.’
‘The Walker Morris real estate construction team is the best in class where construction and the new home warranty insurance market meet; they have unrivalled experience and ability at the intersection between those two practice areas.’
‘WM’s construction practice boasts real strength in depth and a capacity which can stand up to the big London City firms. The team is also very commercially savvy and client friendly.’
‘Jules Harbage – extremely bright, engaging and a pleasure to work with. Carly Thorpe – excellent with clients and highly efficient and well-organised. Tom Peel – Gives robust, clear advice.’
Unite Group plc
Drax Power Limited
Barnsley Metropolitan Council
Leeds Arts University
Tolent Construction Limited
ENGIE Regeneration Limited
- Advised ENGIE Regeneration on the major development for Kingston University.
- Successfully represented various claimants against Zurich Insurance plc (including dealing with leave to appeal to the Supreme Court) in relation to claims under a 10 year new home warranty.
- Acting for MODA Living with respect to a major mixed-use scheme at Sackville Road, Hove, Brighton.
Bill Barton spearheads Barton Legal Limited, which specialises in contentious and non-contentious construction and engineering law. The 'exceptionally capable' team provides 'pragmatic, effective advice and representation at affordable rates' to developers, professional consultants, contractors and specialist sub-contractors. Its work covers energy projects, such as wind farms, power plants and biomass upgrading facilities. Barton 'knows the market inside out' and is a specialist at drafting and negotiating specialist contracts.
‘A highly focused, nimble and adaptable team, led by Bill Barton who brings a remarkable depth of construction experience and practicality.’
‘Boutique construction law specialist firm in Leeds headed by Bill Barton. Bill has an international profile among construction practitioners, and is hugely experienced. He gives pragmatic, effective advice and representation at affordable rates.’
‘Bill Barton – straight forward, direct, clear thinking and great team player. Clients could not ask for more in terms of care and attention to their cases. Every case and every client is valued.’
‘Specialist knowledge, approachable and friendly. A fixed pricelist with complete transparency. Great communication with clients and other professionals ensuring a collaborative and joined-up service for a client.’
‘Bill stands out and always has. He is so approachable and friendly. His expertise is deep but he can explain the detail to anyone in way which they can understand. Its a genuine skill.’
‘Barton Legal are an absolute hidden treasure! They are an amazing firm.’
‘Bill Barton is technically excellent, has a real passion for his area and a pragmatic approach which clients love. Bill is a real pleasure to work with on a personal level – he fits in like part of the team and can get up to speed with complex, document heavy cases with ease.’
Yoon & Yang
Tesni Properties Limited
The Gorse Academies Trust
Bridge McFarland LLP/WW Medical Facilities Limited
ABM Precast Solutions Limited
- Advised private clients on complex litigation claim against a local authority, in a case of repeated flooding from a broken pipe that ran through clients’ land.
- Advised contractor Stepnell Limited on multiple adjudications against redbrick University over an extended period.
- Represented developer Tesni Properties in adjudication and mediation against contractor and ongoing negligence claim against former solicitor.
CMS is 'an excellent choice for complex construction matters', and is noted for its reputation acting in disputes involving Private Finance Initiative/PPP projects, often in the healthcare sector. Practice head Fraser Askham 'is second to none', he focuses on transactional and contentious matters in the infrastructure, construction and energy sectors. Chris Hallam has over 20 years of experience structuring, negotiating and drafting construction contracts. Senior associate Jenny Whipps is recommended for construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
Chris Hallam; Jenny Whipps
‘The team as a whole is friendly, efficient and made up of good lawyers. They are an excellent choice for complex construction matters.’
‘Fraser Askham is commercial and a great tactician. He is also a delight to work with.’
‘The Sheffield Office of CMS is capable of running extremely complex litigation for major clients. One of its key strengths is its ability to call upon expertise and assistance from other offices in the country.’
‘Fraser Askham is a sensible and pragmatic partner who is extremely adept at organising complex litigation with a large solicitor, counsel and expert team.’
‘Jenny Whipps is skilled at keeping on top of the many issues that arise in complex litigation and putting in the hard work to ensure that everything that needs to be done is completed in good time.’
‘The team at CMS is proactive, switched on and very well managed. They are great strategic thinkers and are always willing to put in the hours necessary to get results for their clients. They are real stars in heavyweight disputes.’
‘Fraser Askham is an excellent strategic thinker. He is second to none. He is also brilliant at making sure his clients and everyone in his team are well taken care of.’
Sainsbury’s Supermarkets Limited
University of Sheffield
International Hotel Properties
Crown Commercial Services (Wider Public Sector) [panel appointment]
NG Bailey Group
Education and Skills Funding Agency (The Department for Education)
The MEH Alliance (a JV comprising Balfour Beatty, NG Bailey, Doosan Babcock, Cavendish Nuclear and Altrad SA)
- Advising and representing BUG AluTechnic, an Austrian contractor, in three separate Technology and Construction Court disputes concerning the design, manufacture, supply and installation of materials to one of Europe’s tallest residential buildings, the Beetham Tower in Manchester.
- Advising the Mayfield Partnership (which comprises U+I, the London and Continental Railways, Manchester City Council and Transport for Greater Manchester) on transforming a 22 acre brownfield site which includes the former Mayfield railway station into a new urban neighbourhood and riverside public park.
- Appointed by Lendlease to assist in delivering the £500m Perry Barr Regeneration Scheme.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP's team, which is led by Jo Hatton-Jones, is 'accessible and provides relevant and objective advice'. The team demonstrates depth of expertise in energy, rail and infrastructure, fronted by Hatton-Jones with assistance from senior associate Matthew Pexton, advising institutional clients as owners and operators of infrastructure, energy generating assets and manufacturing facilities and other major construction works. Sarah Maylor advises infrastructure providers on complex construction and engineering disputes.
Jo Hatton-Jones; Sarah Maylor
Other key lawyers:
‘Helpful, proactive and always available.’
‘Sarah Maylor stands out as a pragmatic problem solver.’
‘Very accessible and provide relevant and objective advice.’
‘We work with the same individual which helps build up trust and mutual understanding which helps self start with new commissions.’
Wales & West Utilities
Legal & General
Tension Control Bolts Limited
University of Sheffield
University of Leeds
McCain Foods (GB) Ltd
Severn Trent Water
North East Property Partnership Limited (UK Land)
Harworth Group PLC
Avenir LNG Ltd
- Instructed by Airport City Limited Partnership, the JV responsible for the £1bn of Airport City Manchester to prepare and negotiate the construction documentation relating to their various projects and essential infrastructure works including the Airport City Green Bridge & Enterprise Way.
- Acting for the owner and operator of a convent and care home in the south of England in relation to disputes arising out of defective works to the renovation of the listed building convent and design and construction of a new care home.
- Advising the University of Sheffield on the legal construction aspects of the design and construction of a new ‘North West’ development at the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre.
Hawkswell Kilvington Limited is a 'specialist construction firm that understands their sector inside out'. 'Excellent strategist' Daniel Silberstein and Thomas Salter spearhead the contentious offering and are sought after counsel for claims relating to project delays, loss and expense, defective works and construction-related professional negligence. Gary Ashton's advice is 'always spot on, clear and pragmatic'. Director Rachel Heald advises main contractors and developers in drafting and negotiating building contracts.
Daniel Silberstein; Thomas Salter; Rachel Heald
Other key lawyers:
‘Gary Ashton is our “go-to” person whenever we have any potential litigation issues involving construction disputes. Gary has acted for us on a number of matters and always provides sensible and practical advice to achieve the best outcome, without matters being allowed to become unduly protracted and costly.’
‘Gary Ashton is never pushy, his advice looks after the best interests of the company ie trying to avoid disputes and his billing is clear detailed and accurate.’
‘A specialist construction firm that understand their sector inside out without the distraction or the need to develop business in other sectors.’
‘Rachel Heald – legal director. She is very approachable and very hard working, providing an impressive turnaround time.’
‘Very personable and adapt requirements to our companies needs rather than requiring information in a format that is standard to the practice.’
‘Daniel Silberstein – excellent strategist who gets to the nub of issues very quickly. Tom Salter – excellent litigator with a great practical perspective. Knows the detail of his cases very well.’
‘Hawkswell Kilvington offers a very friendly and personal approach. In our experience they provide clear unambiguous advice with honest opinions and effective solutions.’
John Sisk and Son Limited
Shepherd Construction Limited
Briggs & Forrester Group
Bouygues (UK) Limited
Willmott Dixon Construction Limited
Caledonian Modular Limited
Thurston Group Limited
Triton Construction Limited
J & B Hopkins Limited
Avant Homes (England) Limited
Apleona HSG Limited
- Successfully acted on behalf of J & B Hopkins Limited in its £1m+ payment claim against Trant Engineering Limited in the Technology and Construction Court.
- Advised John Sisk & Son Limited in relation to the negotiation of a JCT Standard Building Contract for the construction of a £150m, 500,000 sq. ft. office hub for Santander in Milton Keynes.
- Successfully acted on behalf of J Tomlinson Limited before the Technology and Construction Court. The case involved the enforcement of an Adjudicator’s decision worth £1.2million and dealt with an important procedural point concerning the enforcement of Adjudicator’s decisions.
Freeths LLP 'consistently demonstrates commercial nous, industry understanding and determination to secure the best outcome for the client'. Joseph Hale has 'great experience and understanding of the construction industry' and is a reputable disputes specialist for all players in the construction supply chain servicing the energy, rail and utilities sectors. Practice co-head Rachael Yates is recommended for disputes, procurement issues and the management of risks on projects.
Rachael Yates; Joseph Hale
‘The team consistently demonstrates commercial nous, industry understanding, and determination to secure the best outcome for the client.’
‘Joseph Hale (partner): He has great experience and understanding of the construction industry, takes a hands-on involvement in the case, and genuinely cares about getting the best outcome for the client.’
‘Freeths in Leeds has managed to collect an incredibly strong group of people, which makes them a very impressive team.’
‘Very good team. Very strong knowledge of the construction market. ’
‘Joseph Hale – a very clever and experienced partner, who has a good sense of humour. ’
‘Diverse pool of solicitors, covering a wide range of issues. Assisted my business on many issues with UK projects and foreign clients.’
‘I do believe Joseph Hale provides exceptional service. Joe has exceptional NEC knowledge. His communication and engagement skills are exceptional. These attributes, supported by his significant operational knowledge allow him to get at the key facts and circumstances very efficiently.’
Engie Fabricom UK Limited
Eric Wright Group Limited
Sarens (UK) Limited
- Acting for Engie Fabricom UK Limited in a dispute with MW High Tech Projects UK Limited regarding the Energy Works Hull EfW project.
- Advising Rotherham Borough Council on works to develop three town centre sites for residential development.
- Acted for APCOA Parking Ltd in relation to construction contracts for the design and construction of a multi-storey car park at Northwick Park Hospital.
Gordons LLP's team 'deliver good value for money' and has a good reputation in specialised process engineering projects, such as chemical process engineering and renewable energy projects. Richard Piper specialises in contentious and non-contentious construction work, focusing on large property development schemes, contractual and public procurement issues and construction litigation. Anjon Mallik regularly represents specialist contractors in High Court litigation.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team are clear about fees and always seem to deliver good value for money. They fully understand the project and where they can bring added value. Where more specialist expertise has been needed they brought in other partners at short notice to support.’
‘They are available and have brought specialist expertise in construction contracts, adapting and developing amendments to address some key risks which were outside of the normal position of just covering the clients interests.’
PDR Construction Ltd
BDB Design Build Ltd
Rawlings Consulting UK Ltd
Triangle Investments and Development Ltd
Hermes Parcelnet Ltd
Browne Civil Engineering Ltd
Birchgate Contracts & Consulting Ltd
Wren Kitchens Ltd
DG Utilities Ltd
Clegg Construction Ltd
United Living Group Ltd
Bridgecore Developments Ltd
Eshton Group Ltd
Partner Construction Ltd
S Harrison Developments Ltd
Altia Estates Ltd
GBA Holdings Ltd
Everlast Waterproofing Ltd
Cambridge HOK Ltd
Citylife Estates Ltd
BSL Systems Ltd
- Advising a major national kitchen manufacturer in respect of the development of a million sq ft new manufacturing space in one of the largest developments in the north of England.
- Acting in respect of a multi-million pound contractual dispute over defects in a newly developed hotel.
Gosschalks 'attracts good quality construction work and it punches above its weight' in contentious and non-contentious matters, specialising in the rail, utilities wayleaves and renewable energy sectors. Matthew Fletcher is sought after by landowners on contentious on utility wayleave matters. Also specialising in disputes, William Buckenham has 'encyclopaedic knowledge of construction law and can always find the precedent to help his clients'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Will Buckenham and the team at Gosschalks can really be relied on to assist local construction companies in relation to litigation matters. They are totally part of the community.’
‘Will Buckenham is a guardian angel to his clients. He has an encyclopaedic knowledge of construction law and can always find the precedent to help his clients.’
‘Always get the job done, and the whole team adopts a very refreshing ‘can-do’ attitude. Incredibly high quality work at exceptionally reasonable fee rates.’
‘This practice have had excellent attention to detail throughout our relationship; their team is always accessible and are very responsive.’
‘I have found that the whole team at Gosschalks are very personable – a wonderful quality which makes them very pleasant and easy to work with. Everyone that I have had the pleasure of working with have given us excellent advice and always work very hard to ensure that deadlines are met.’
‘The firm attracts good quality construction work and it punches above its weight.’
‘Matthew Fletcher has good commercial insight and a sound understanding of construction law. He is very hands-on and does not really delegate, which is beneficial to the clients.’
Vascroft Contractors Ltd
C Spencer Ltd
Ei Group plc
Kingspan Group Plc
Beaumont Morgan Developments Ltd
Arnold White Estates Ltd
C R Reynolds Ltd
Horncastle Group plc
Geo Houlton & Sons Ltd
Beal Developments Ltd
Hull Flooring Co Ltd
Optimus Services Ltd
Colt Construction Ltd
Lane Rental Ltd
Litton Properties Ltd
- Acted for C Spencer Limited in relation to a Court of Appeal decision clarifying Construction Act Payment Notice requirements under hybrid construction contracts.
- Acted for the leading telecoms company, KCOM Group, in relation to the acquisition of telecoms wayleaves for over 400 landowners of multi dwelling units.
- Continue to act for Beaumont Morgan Developments in relation to a £3.8m professional negligence claim against a structural engineer for loss, expense and delay.
Kennedys has a notable regional and national client base of developers, contractors, professional consultants and insurers. 'Competent and efficient legal adviser' Helen Johnson, who specialises in non-contentious construction law, is recommended for her expertise in risk management relating to the development of large-scale projects. Associate Helen Birchall provides 'precise and thorough advice on contractual issues'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Helen Johnson has been very supportive, and has led us through some challenging contractual issues.
‘Kennedys provides a one-stop shop for our needs they work closely with other Kennedys teams, this has provided us with an all-round service. Their involvement at an early stage prevents or reduces disputes which could in turn makes sure targets are meet.’
‘Helen Johnson goes the extra mile to make sure we are aware of legal implications, knowing that we focus on the sporting / event matters.’
‘The team at Kennedys are responsive, efficient and reliable. Their work is consistently high-quality and delivered with a friendly professional manner.’
‘Senior associate Helen Birchall combines an approachable manner with precise and thorough advice on contractual issues.’
‘Very strong knowledge and willingness to go above and beyond to fulfil client demands.’
‘Helen Johnson was fantastic in aiding us with our legal needs. She was responsive and efficient in her work, not compromising quality.’
Paul Hastings LLP
Airport City Limited Partnership
The Ambassador Theatre Group
William Hare Limited
Bolton County Council
OakNorth Bank plc
Complete Building Control
PWP Building Services
Corbett & Tasker
Geraghty Taylor Architects
Niall McLaughlin Architects
Mascot Management Limited
ZG Lighting (UK) Limited
Studio Partington Architects
Sheffield United Football Club
Henry Boot Construction Limited
- Advising Airport City Limited Partnership, the joint venture limited partnership responsible for the £1 billion redevelopment of approximately 5 million sq ft around Manchester Airport (encompassing offices, advanced manufacturing, logistics, hotel and retail).
- Providing legal, contractual and strategic advice to Ambassador Theatre Group on their various developments throughout the UK.
- Advising on various matters relating to Bolton County Council’s £1bn town centre regeneration.
Schofield Sweeney is instructed by regional and national developers, housebuilders, contractors and individuals on non contentious issues such as procurement and contract services, among others. The practice also has a strong offering in construction disputes, acting on behalf of claimants and defendants, with particular expertise in adjudication and claims involving including professional indemnity. Andrew Hurst and litigator Richard Stockdale (consultant) are the key figures.
Other key lawyers:
Games Workshop Limited
Horton Housing Association
Hermes Parcel Net Limited
Chartford Housing Limited
Fenwood Estates Limited
- Advised Hermes Parcel Net Limited on the negotiation of its proposed lease of the new Bolton depot, including having an input into drafting and advising on professional appointments and collateral warranties.
- Advised Games Workshop Limited on reaching an agreement with SEGRO Logistics Park to develop a new 177,500 ft² warehouse distribution facility at the new East Midlands Gateway logistics hub.
- Advised the owner of Springwell Works in relation to the flagship letting of the premises and dealing with a complex development agreement to provide a flagship brewing facility for a rapidly growing brewery.
Shoosmiths LLP is a top firm for student accommodation projects and care homes developments. It is also increasingly active in the retail, hospitality, process plant and infrastructure space, advising commercial occupiers and manufacturing clients. According to a client, Rick Atha is 'a very safe pair of hands for construction work'. He is supported by director Christine Burrows, who goes 'above and beyond'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Responsive, thorough and personable. Easy to work with and collaborate with.’
‘They are very committed and work well in the team. They collaborate. Christine Burrows will go above and beyond.’
‘Team well integrated with broader real estate function to provide efficient single point of contact.’
‘Rick Atha is detail focused and very diligent. A very safe pair of hands for construction work.’
‘You would expect all lawyers to provide sensible, commercial, pragmatic and achievable advice. However what makes a difference is being approachable, good at listening, prepared to discuss and debate the issues and then come up with clear advice on how to proceed.’
‘Experience is both collective and varied and internal collaboration with relevant parties regarding specialist requirements provides truly exceptional service.’
‘Rick Atha – Historically Rick was a building surveyor – he is now lead construction solicitor. His first hand knowledge of construction from a surveyors perspective in his previous career makes him an utterly unique construction solicitor and as such provide exceptional consultation.’
Extra MSA Group Limited
Moorfield Group Limited
Cinnamon Care Capital
Packaged Living/Fiera Real Estate
Angela Swift Developments Limited
Peugeot Motor Company Plc
Tanglewood Project Company Grantham Limited
Yorkshire Wildlife Park
Mount Group Limited
Park Lane Properties/Roomzzz
ASD Limited (t/a Kloeckner Metals)
McKay Securities plc
Highwood Residential Limited
Ingka Centre Services AB Sweden (part of Ikea)
Coutts & Co
Lloyds Bank plc
The Royal Bank of Scotland International Limited (t/a Natwest Limited)
British Car Auctions
Brunswick Property Partners (through Akoya investment platform)
DSG Retail Limited (Carphone Warehouse)
Empire Property Concepts Limited
Aequus Land Investments LLP
Tanglewood Care Services
Macdermid Performance Solutions UK Limited
Interactive Investor Services Limited
- Advised Gilltown on the construction documents and related aspects of the development funding agreements for Gilltown’s 135 unit purpose-built student accommodation project in Bath.
- Acting for Packaged Living/Fiera Real Estate on a new project, The Castings, in Manchester’s Piccadilly strategic regeneration area.
- Acting for Cinnamon Care Capital in the care home sector as their sole real estate/construction legal advisors, providing construction advice on the acquisition of sites through to the funding of construction projects and assistance throughout the life of the project.
Judith Hopper, who is the key figure at Bevan Brittan LLP, ‘combines excellent judgment with sensible, commercial advice’. She is particularly well regarded for complex PFI disputes, acting for local authorities and NHS trusts. Former Shulmans LLP practice head Sarah Wilson joined in August 2021 from Knights plc - she handles both non-contentious matters and dispute resolution.
Other key lawyers:
‘Fantastic, very well resourced and knowledgeable team, with excellent client management. An absolute pleasure to work with.’
‘Judith Hopper is outstanding – very thorough, knowledgeable and calm in the eye of the storm.’
‘Bevan Brittan has a highly regarded construction practice. They are well-established in this field and have an excellent reputation.’
‘Judith Hopper is fantastic; she combines excellent judgement with sensible, commercial advice. She achieves excellent results at a relatively modest price.’
‘There is a real desire at partner level within Bevan Brittan to provide fee value for their clients. Real attention is paid to doing things in the best order with appropriate timings of activities to maximise the impact for the client but to also safeguard fee spend.’
‘Judith Hopper genuinely cares about every client and makes it her mission to understand where the client needs to get to and any sensitivities that should be dealt with carefully. Any point raised will be listened to and dealt with compassionately.’
Clarion's team 'offers real value for money' to clients such as housebuilders, contractors, commercial developers and local authorities. The main contact is Phil Morrison, who provides 'clear and grounded advice' on contentious and non-contentious construction law matters.
‘The team offers real value for money – an excellent service but considerably less expensive than firms of comparable standards.’
‘I worked with Phil Morrison – knowledgeable, technically competent, friendly and helpful.’
‘The practice is very engaging and responsive and billing seems to be more straightforward than with some other practices.’
‘We have dealt with Phil Morrison on most issues and I particularly like the clear and grounded advice that he gives. This type of advice is difficult to find in my experience and would continue to use the practice for this reason.’
DAC Beachcroft LLP
DAC Beachcroft LLP has a strong reputation acting for architects, engineers, contractors and insurers in high value construction disputes. Andrew Marsh is a professional indemnity specialist. Also noted for contentious work is senior associate Laura Clayburn, who is 'incredibly diligent, very bright and has an excellent understanding of the CPR'.
Other key lawyers:
‘Particularly strong on PI work for construction professionals and designers. The go to firm in the North for most construction PI insurers.’
‘Andrew Marsh (Leeds) probably the best PI construction partner around – ably assisted by Laura Clayburn senior associate regularly turning out partner quality work.’
‘The team in Leeds is excellent to work for, very competent and have good tactics to achieve their clients goals. They have a very strong work ethic and are conscious of not incurring costs unnecessarily for their clients.’
‘Laura Clayburn (Leeds) is one of the best lawyers. She is incredibly diligent, very bright, has an excellent understanding of the CPR and her drafting is spot on. She is also a delight to work with.’
‘Very approachable, very knowledgeable and great to work with. They understand the work you produce and strive to ensure that everyone else involved understands what is happening and the processes involved. They roll with the punches but can advance a hard line position when necessary.’