Firms in the Spotlight Construction
Construction in Yorkshire And The Humber
Addleshaw Goddard's construction practice handles high-profile local and national projects, covering engineering and infrastructure, regeneration and development, as well as complex construction litigation with key expertise in the energy, utilities and transport sectors. Non-contentious specialist James Reynolds heads up the Leeds real estate division while David Shaw specialises in utilities, energy and transport projects. Joe Wilkinson and legal director Ally MacKenzie focus on construction and engineering disputes, John Emerton handles energy and infrastructure-related disputes, and managing associate Niamh Batterton advises on development schemes.
‘Addleshaw Goddard has a good combination of legal knowledge and commercial awareness‘.
‘Clients are impressed with Addleshaw Goddard’s detailed technical knowledge, rapid response times and clear and pragmatic professional advice‘.
‘The team is hardworking, always available and provides sound legal knowledge‘.
‘David Shaw provides intelligent legal solutions to business issues. He understands issues quickly and his response time is fantastic, on top of which he is a delightful, genuine professional‘.
West Yorkshire + Transport Fund
Leeds Beckett University
University of Brighton
London Luton Airport Limited
The Co-operative Group plc
Aberdeen Asset Management
National Nuclear Laboratory
Newcastle Upon Tyne Hospital NHS Trust
- Advising SSE on the demolition of Ferrybridge C, a coal-fired power station.
- Acting for Edinburgh Airport on its £200m capital investment programme.
- Advising Leeds Building Society on its redevelopment programme relating to its move to new Leeds premises.
- Assisting Muse Developments/Waterside Places (a Muse JV vehicle) with the development of its manufacturing and distribution park at Logic Leeds.
- Advising the UK Parliament on its works framework with Wates Construction for the refurbishment of Parliament’s Northern Estate.
DLA Piper UK LLP's construction practice is regularly involved in high-profile local, national and international projects, leveraging the firm's wider global network. The team is also active in a broad range of sectors including the energy, infrastructure, real estate, regeneration, manufacturing and consumer goods industries; clients include plcs, banks, energy providers, developers and government agencies. Sheffield-based Ian Doig and David Moss in Leeds jointly lead the group and specialise in non-contentious and contentious matters respectively. Ben Peecock handles large-scale energy and infrastructure projects.
Ian Doig; David Moss
Other key lawyers:
‘DLA Piper fields an excellent team of reliable and responsive lawyers‘.
‘DLA Piper has a strong capability to commercially assess construction dispute issues‘.
‘David Moss is a standout partner. He is well respected and his opinion carries weight‘.
‘The individuals are good communicators, both written and verbally, are efficient and have a balanced approach‘.
Bouygues E&S UK Limited
Severfield (UK) Limited
Yorkshire Water Plc
- Advising Clean Marine AS, with the firm’s Norwegian office, on a manufacture, supply and supervision contract for the supply and installation of exhaust gas cleaning systems into cargo ships.
- Assisting Ocean Network Express with the establishment of 51 new offices across Europe and Africa.
- Acting for St Enoch Trustee Company Limited on the design and construction of a nine-screen cinema development including restaurant units at St Enoch Shopping Centre, Glasgow.
- Assisting Visa Europe Limited with the construction contract for designing, building and commissioning an additional building at one of its data centre sites.
- Advising Volgafert LLC as project sponsor on the EPC contract for the construction of a urea plant in Russia.
At Pinsent Masons LLP, litigator Simon Plunkett heads up the construction advisory and disputes group while Melanie Grimmitt leads the finance and projects practice. The group excels in the energy and infrastructure sectors at a national and international level and primarily acts on the supplier side of matters. Mark Harris is the key contact for energy sector infrastructure projects internationally, Stacey Collins handles transactional work, John Williams is experienced in the rail, power and highway sectors, while senior associate Naomi Stafford focuses on contentious issues.
Simon Plunkett; Melanie Grimmitt
Renew Holdings Plc
Drax Group Plc
Amey Group Plc
Kier Infrastructure and Overseas Ltd
E ON A.G. Group
BH EnergyGap Group
Cyden Homes Limited
Balfour Beatty Group
Johnson Matthey Plc
Laing O’Rourke Group
Yorkshire Ventures Group
University of Huddersfield
Royal Bam Group
Scottish Power Group
Samsung C&T Corporation
China Triumph International Engineering Co Ltd
University of Leeds
Homes England Group
Black & Veatch Group
University of Sheffield
Sembcorp Industries Ltd
- Advising Drax Group on multiple projects including contracts related to its repower project and the construction contracts for two open-cycle gas turbine development projects.
- Representing Walter Lilly & Co. Ltd in High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings relating to the liability for delays relating to the redevelopment of a high-end residence in Kensington and Chelsea.
- Advising EP UK Power Developments and Eggborough Power Limited on the procurement and consenting of two new-build combined-cycle gas turbines.
- Assisting the University of Huddersfield with multiple construction projects including a new science building and refurbishment projects for several other university buildings.
- Representing Koupler Limited in arbitration proceedings against the Hellenic Republic of Greece relating to a large-scale photovoltaic power project in Southern Greece.
Squire Patton Boggs focuses its expertise on three key areas; energy and utilities, development projects, and infrastructure, public sector and regeneration work. The team also benefits from the firm's global network and is regularly involved in international mandates. Group leader Zakir Mulla handles construction, engineering and infrastructure issues; James Duckworth focuses on development and infrastructure project procurement; and Matthew Mulqueen is an expert in renewable energy matters.
Muse Developments Limited
Leeds City Region Revolving Investment Fund LLP
Price Waterhouse Coopers Dubai
Developer of major mixed use development in GCC capital city
MHI Vestas Offshore Wind A/S
Frontier Investment Management
Africa Renewable Energy Limited
Capital and Centric
- Advising a developer on the preparation of infrastructure procurement documentation for a mixed-use development in the Middle East.
- Acting for a city authority of a GCC government on a major waste project.
- Assisting MHI Vestas Offshore Wind with the supply and installation of wind turbines at the Moray East Offshore Wind Farm in Scotland.
- Acting for Selenkei Investment Limited on the development financing of a solar photovoltaic project in Kenya.
- Advising Chania Green Generation Company Limited on the development and financing of the Chania onshore wind farm in Kenya.
Walker Morris LLP's client base spans listed companies, local authorities, education providers, developers, contractors and consultants, which the team advises on contentious and non-contentious issues at a national and increasingly international level. Martin Scott leads the department and focuses on construction disputes, Tom Peel is active across the full spectrum of work, Jules Harbage handles energy projects, and senior associate Carly Thorpe is also a key name to note. Former director Joanne McNamara left in early 2018 for an in-house role at Home Group, but the team was subsequently boosted by the promotion of Paul Hargreaves and Dan Lyon to the partnership.
‘The team at Walker Morris works extremely hard to protect the client’s interests and makes great efforts to ensure their opinions on matters are considered while ensuring that the correctness of the legal advice isn’t compromised‘.
‘Walker Morris fields a team of stellar individuals, which is laid back and a pleasure to work with. It instills confidence in clients, who tend to trust its judgment, and will fight any case as well as it can be fought, often coming up with creative ideas to get results‘.
‘The team demonstrates a real strength in depth, commitment to its clients and proactively progresses projects. It balances sound technical expertise with a pragmatic, commercial approach‘.
‘Martin Scott has excellent commercial instincts‘.
‘Tom Peel provides great support on a wide range of matters and has excellent sector knowledge, consistency and a strong client care ethos. He is highly commercially confident but approachable and realistic‘.
‘Jules Harbage stands out for his in-depth industry knowledge and strategic advice. He easily sees the big picture‘.
‘Paul Hargreaves never stops fighting and works exceptionally hard to find an angle that others would likely miss‘.
‘Carly Thorpe is always excellent for concise and accurate legal advice. She is very commercial and spot-on with her tactical advice. It is refreshing for a relatively junior person to be so commercially aware and confident in her decisions‘.
Unite Group plc
Tolent Construction Limited
Drax Power Limited
- Assisting YP Real Estate Limited with the construction elements of a residential development on the site of the former Yorkshire Post building.
- Representing Unite Group Plc in a claim against Shepherd Construction for the losses arising from the recladding and related closure of a building.
- Advising Crosslane Student Developments UK limited on the construction aspects of its joint venture with Harrison Street Real Estate with the purpose of developing four sites for student accommodation.
- Assisting Homes England with the construction documents related to a £7m development for 37 residential homes and the related infrastructure.
- Acting for Peel Property and Investments PLC on the £5m redevelopment of its Washington Retail Park.
The dedicated practice at CMS has notable expertise in the energy and infrastructure spaces and regularly acts for developers, investors, contractors and consultants. The team is continuing to build on opportunities presented by the firm's merger with Nabarro and Olswang in 2017, securing roles on an increasing number of international projects, while also handling PFI disputes and energy-from-waste litigation. Group leader Fraser Askham - 'a down-to-earth, proactive lawyer with a great bedside manner' - focuses on infrastructure work, and senior associate Jenny Whipps handles contentious matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘CMS’ user-friendly and proactive team is the best in Sheffield and deserves high recognition for the work it does, giving rival firms in Leeds a run for their money‘.
‘CMS provides an exceptional service in terms of legal analysis, prompt and efficient working and managing a highly complex matter while at the same time doing everything possible to assist the client in reaching a sensible compromise‘.
‘Fraser Askham leads the team and is really pushing the practice on. He is a down-to-earth, proactive lawyer and has a great bedside manner with clients‘.
‘Fraser Askham is an exceptionally bright lawyer with a good client manner. Despite working in extremely difficult conditions, he nonetheless provides fantastic results and is upbeat and positive without being remotely arrogant‘.
University of Sheffield
London Borough of Tower Hamlets
International Hotel Properties
Crown Commercial Services (Wider Public Sector) [panel appointment]
Global Fire Systems
NG Bailey Group
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council
Education and Skills Funding Agency (The Department for Education)
Marcus Worthington Group
- Representing BUG AluTechnic in three separate Technology and Construction Court disputes relating to the design, manufacture, supply and installation of materials to a residential building in Manchester.
- Acting for NG Bailey in a dispute brought by Elutions for alleged infringement of a number of agreements.
- Representing Lendlease in a dispute against Balfour Beatty relating to allegations of significant defects arising from the design and construction of a PFI hospital.
- Assisting the Education and Skills Funding Agency and the Department for Education with their regional framework agreements for the Priority School Building Programme 2.
- Advising Marcus Worthington Group on the 125 Deansgate development in Manchester.
At DWF, Leeds-based Andrew Symms heads up the national practice, which leverages the firm's global network to advise on national and international mandates. The Leeds team has a strong energy focus and regularly acts for both purchaser and supplier side clients including contractors, developers, funders and public sector clients. Christian Hellmund focuses on renewable energy matters.
Other key lawyers:
Babcock International Group
Doosan Power Systems SA
Whitbread Group plc
Royal Bank of Scotland
- Advising Scottish Power Plc on a combined-cycle gas turbine project in Kent.
- Handling Whitbread Plc’s construction work including three forward funding deals.
- Assisting Caddick and Maple Grove with the redevelopment of Headingley rugby stadium.
- Acting for Doosan Power Systems in a dispute in France relating to the conversion of a coal-fired power station to biomass.
- Assisting Moorfield Group with multiple student accommodation schemes nationally and the acquisition and forward funding of residential blocks.
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP acts for national and international clients in the energy and infrastructure spaces on both contentious and non-contentious matters. The group is also growing its experience in specialist rail work and cross-jurisdictional oil and gas issues. Jo Hatton-Jones leads the practice and handles mandates in the energy, water, utilities, retail, property and education sectors. Senior associate Matthew Shotton focuses on contentious issues, and Simon Chamberlain and Gregory Buckley divide their time between Leeds and Manchester.
Other key lawyers:
WM Morrison Plc
Legal & General
Severn Trent Water Limited
University of Leeds
JD Williams & Company
- Advising an airport on its procurement of major redevelopment works including new aircraft stands and a passenger terminal extension.
- Assisting N Brown’s subsidiary on an upgrade to its distribution and processing abilities at its warehouse.
Gordons LLP's construction team expands on the firm's retail expertise with supplementary knowledge of the engineering and renewables sectors, as well as experience in property development, process engineering projects and disputes. Richard Piper heads up the team and Anjon Mallik handles construction disputes.
Other key lawyers:
PDR Construction Ltd
BDB Design Build Ltd
Rawlings Consulting UK Ltd
Kinder Haven Ltd
Triangle Investments and Development Ltd
Hermes Parcelnet Ltd
Wren Kitchens Ltd
DG Utilities Ltd
Glen Dimplex Home Appliances Ltd
Eshton Developments Ltd
United Living Group Ltd
Bridgecore Developments Ltd
Clegg Construction Ltd
- Successfully acting for Rawlings Consulting UK Ltd in adjudication proceedings against Maelor Foods for non-payment of an interim application.
- Advising BASF plc on the procurement of a new chemical production facility.
- Assisting Huddersfield Town Football Club with the redevelopment of its training facilities.
Hawkswell Kilvington Limited
Boutique construction and engineering firm Hawkswell Kilvington Limited handles matters at a local, national and international level. The firm is headed up by co-founders Jonathan Hawkswell and David Kilvington; the latter also leads the firm's non-contentious department. Other key practitioners include Daniel Silberstein, who heads up the dispute resolution team and fellow litigator Thomas Salter.
Jonathan Hawkswell; David Kilvington; Thomas Salter; Daniel Silberstein
‘The team is first class with outstanding knowledge of the construction sector and an ability to provide excellent advice, which takes into account the legal and commercial position. It can communicate well with the client and understand the competing pressures it faces‘.
‘The firm has an ability to identify the key points among the smoke of an issue so the work is focused, direct, concise and efficient‘.
‘The group has a very straightforward way of providing its advice and demonstrates great experience of the sector and an understanding of its client’s appetites for risk‘.
‘Jonathan Hawkswell and Thomas Salter are dedicated and hardworking advocates with a personal touch and a sense of humour, which helps at all times‘.
‘Daniel Silberstein is very approachable, hardworking and knowledgeable with a good understanding of client requirements. He is always well prepared and on top of the issues‘.
‘Daniel Silberstein is an excellent lawyer and tactician. He will consider all options before providing advice most tailored to the situation. He is able to understand complex issues quickly and explain his advice so it is understood by all‘.
John Sisk & Son Limited
Shepherd Construction Limited
J Murphy and Sons Limited
Bachy Soletanche Limited
Morgan Sindall Construction and Infrastructure Limited
Briggs & Forrester Group
Electricity North West Limited
Yorkshire Housing Limited
Interserve Construction Limited
McMullen Facades Limited
Suez Recycling and Recovery Limited
Lend Lease Limited
- Acting for Hallam Land Management Limited on infrastructure works to be carried out relating to a new housing development in Mansfield.
- Assisting a gas distribution network operator with an update to its existing direct service provider framework agreement.
- Advising Electricity North West Limited on contract negotiations with an international pharmaceutical company for the construction of a new substation.
- Assisting Sutcliffe Construction Limited with the contract terms for an extension to a distribution centre for a major UK retailer.
- Acting for KMRE Group (Riverside) Limited on a development in Nottingham.
Helen Johnson heads up the department at Kennedys, which has seen continued growth in its non-contentious offering -which advises both domestic and international developers and investors - alongside its traditional strength in construction disputes, which it regularly handles for contractor clients. Senior associate Helen Johnson is a key name for non-contentious work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Kennedys provides a first-class service, is hardworking, efficient, professional and always on the ball, and gives swift and accurate advice‘.
‘Helen Johnson is a pleasure to work with. She is very personable yet at the same time professional. She is very intelligent and competent, can think on her feet and provides on-the-spot advice. At the same time, she is thorough and always takes the time to make sure the client understands the legal jargon and its implications‘.
‘Helen Birchall is definitely one to watch. She is a dedicated lawyer who gives her clients 110%, no matter the time of day‘.
Paul Hastings LLP
Airport City Limited Partnership
Cruden Construction Limited
William Hare Limited
The Ambassador Theatre Group Limited (ATG)
Bolton County Council
Scarborough Group Limited
Cruden Property Services Ltd
Geraghty Taylor Architects
Niall McLaughlin Architects
Mascot Management Ltd
- Advising Airport City Limited Partnership on all construction issues relating to Airport City including the documentation for two offices and a car park and handling issues arising from the insolvency of Carillion.
- Assisting Bolton County Council with the purchase of Crompton Place Shopping Centre as part of the council’s regeneration project.
- Acting for Metrojet Limited on the design and construction of a new aircraft hanger facility at Clark International Airport in the Philippines.
- Assisting WASPS Holdings Ltd with the development of a new training ground for Wasps rugby team in Coventry.
- Acting for three separate offshore development companies in a series of adjudications relating to the discolouration of joinery items at the properties and the scope of remedial works required.
Construction boutique Barton Legal Limited specialises in non-contentious matters for clients in the UK and overseas. The practice, which is led by Bill Barton, has notable experience in the renewable energy sector and regularly receives referrals from national law firms.
‘Bill Barton is a clear leader in the sector and in the region‘.
Bridge McFarland Solicitors
Wetheralds Painters and Building Services Ltd
NobelClad Europe GmbH & Co.KG
ABM Precast Solutions Limited
A. Burrell and Sons Limited
JSL (Trevenson) Limited
Holbeach Hospital & East Elloe Hospital Trust
- Instructed by Lupton Fawcett on behalf of its client Flamingo Land Resorts on various construction matters including an agreement for lease.
- Instructed by Bridge McFarland Solicitors on behalf of its client WW Medical Facilities Limited on the construction of a new private hospital.
- Representing Wetheralds Painters and Building Services Ltd in contract disputes.
- Representing NobelClad Europe GmbH & Co.KG in a dispute with one of its English contractors.
- Assisting Babease Limited with the construction and re-fit of a factory occupied by its subsidiary, Brecon Foods Limited.
With substantial expertise in contentious work and construction-related insurance claims, DAC Beachcroft LLP focuses on the engineering, design and build sectors and counts contractors, architects, engineers and insurers as clients. 'Class act' Andrew Marsh leads the team and also heads up the firm's national construction professionals group. Senior associate Laura Clayburn, whose 'technical knowledge is second to none', is another key name to note.
Other key lawyers:
‘The team at DAC Beachcroft is knowledgeable and approachable in equal measure‘.
‘The practice is pragmatic and professional. It provides the right answer and the right advice which at times may not be what the client wants to hear. It knows the law and what makes a good case and encourages client engagement to ensure that the best possible position is tested‘.
‘DAC receives top marks for its preparation of position statements, mediation advocacy and generally looking after the client’s interests‘.
‘Both Andrew March and Laura Clayburn are experts in their fields. Laura’s technical knowledge is second to none. The speed with which she acquires a deep understanding of the underlying issues in a claim is truly impressive‘.
‘Andrew and Laura know their work and know the market. They are a fantastic team and work together to ensure that the best possible outcome is achieved. Their advice is clear, concise and to the point. Everything is done in an easy and friendly way but smacks of nothing but professionalism‘.
‘Andrew Marsh has a relaxed but firm style of advocacy, is receptive to ideas put forward to enable progress, and is altogether a class act‘.
- Defending a geotechnical engineering consultancy in a claim brought by a contractor arising from alleged defective foundations for a new industrial and commercial premises.
- Acting for a developer in a claim against its contractor relating to extensive water damage to completed properties.
- Representing a construction consultancy in extension of time claims, loss and expense claims.
Key sectors for Irwin Mitchell include commercial property, retirement living, student accommodation and education, with the practice handling both contentious and non-contentious mandates. Notable practitioners include consultant Mike Plews, who has experience in high-profile schemes, and associate Zoe Williams, who focuses on construction disputes relating to payment issues, defects, time extensions and professional negligence matters.
Schofield Sweeney is noted for its experience in contentious construction and engineering disputes and professional indemnity claims, which it handles for a client roster spanning architects, contractors, developers, housebuilders and public sector clients. Practice leader Gary Ashton excels in construction adjudications while his colleague Richard Stockdale is an accredited mediator.
Other key lawyers:
‘With thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction, Schofield Sweeney is articulate and has a proactive approach. The depth of knowledge and experience within the practice is not widely available at other firms‘.
‘The construction team at Schofield Sweeney demonstrates great knowledge of both the relevant law and, importantly, the local market. Clients would have no hesitation in saying that the team compares extremely favourably to much larger firms‘.
‘Gary Ashton stands out for his ability to quickly formulate a strategy to solve complex problems. His thoroughness is outstanding‘.
‘Gary Ashton is always on hand, works tirelessly to meet short deadlines and handles matters personally‘.
‘Gary is a breath of fresh air, understanding the construction industry and being proactive in ways that are not often thought of. He also is very attentive and has a great wealth of knowledge‘.
KNG Building Services Limited
Enock Foundations Limited
AJN Electrical Limited
Maple Sunscreening Limited
Cawdell Brickwork Limited
Amber Precast Limited
Ebor Concretes Limited
Ashfield Building Group
Group Management Electrical Services Limited
Network Demolition Services LLP
Pitts Wilson Limited
- Defending Enock Foundations Limited in a dispute against a contractor relating to remedial costs and damages to electricity cables following a failure to carry out site investigations.
- Represented KNG Building Services Limited in a claim against Bio Global Industries Ltd arising out of the supply and installation of a biomass boiler.
Freeths LLP is noted for its contentious expertise, with a particular focus on the water, energy, utilities, engineering and technology sectors. The group has also recently handled a number of procurement processes. Joseph Hale and Rachael Yates jointly lead the department; Hale handles procurement work alongside his contentious expertise and Yates counts employers, contractors and subcontractors as clients.
Rachael Yates; Joseph Hale
‘Freeths’ team of specialists gives thorough and sound advice. The small size of the team means clients have regular personal contact with partners, and everyone is willing to get stuck in to get things done. The team values personal relationships with clients and goes above and beyond to ensure that client expectations are met and provides a first-class service along the way‘.
‘Joseph Hale is an excellent contentious and non-contentious partner. He is very bright and knowledgeable on the law and gives sensible and clear advice. He is fun to work with and clients respect and trust him‘.
Mott MacDonald Bentley
Vital Energi Utilities Limited
Sarens (UK) Limited
Mayfair Developments and Properties Limited
GF Tomlinson and Sons Limited
Gyron Internet Limited
James Fisher Nuclear Limited
- Advising Kanfa Group on its terms and conditions.
- Defending Sarens (UK) Limited in a final account dispute relating to a subcontract with Cleveland Bridge UK Limited for works to install steel bridges.
With one of the largest teams in East Yorkshire, Gosschalks acts for local construction companies and also has substantial expertise in the renewable energy and rail infrastructure sectors. On the contentious side, the team primarily represents contractor clients, and mainly handles non-contentious issues for developer clients. Department head Matthew Fletcher specialises in contentious matters with a notable niche expertise in statutory wayleave issues, while newly promoted partner William Buckenham handles rail disputes.
Other key lawyers:
‘Gosschalks is very commercial with great knowledge and a focus on what the client needs to achieve‘.
‘The team at Gosschalks is exceptional. It gives one-to-one service which surpasses others. It consistently demonstrates a genuine expertise in construction law and, coupled with its professional and friendly attitude, it provides clear, sound and honest legal advice to the highest standard‘.
‘Lead partner Matthew Fletcher provides no-nonsense advice and William Buckenham offers friendly, helpful and professional advice‘.
‘William Buckenham is very switched on and goes the extra mile to support his clients. He consistently demonstrates his genuine skill and expertise by providing sound and honest legal advice‘.
C Spencer Ltd
Hobson and Porter Ltd
Ei Group Plc
PDR Construction Ltd
Geo Houlton and Sons Ltd
Arnold White Estates Ltd
C R Reynolds Ltd
Horncastle Group Plc
East Yorkshire Aluminium and Glass
Kingspan Group Plc
- Acting for C Spencer Ltd in a dispute relating to the interpretation of the dispute resolution provisions in a contract.
- Representing a client in a professional negligence claim against a structural engineer.
- Advising Ei Group Plc on the construction documentation for a UK-wide refurbishment project.
- Representing C Spencer Limited in disputes relating to works at Lynemouth Power Station including a claim relating to the disposal of contaminated material.
- Advising a specialist engineering services company on a £1.5m production facility installed in the Russian Federation.
Rollits LLP handles matters for local housing associations, including building contracts, framework agreements and professional appointments; industrial developments and issues in the education sector, particularly in Hull and the surrounding area. Practice head Caroline Hardcastle acts for employers, developers and contractors in the Technology and Construction Courts, and David Myers handles construction projects.
Other key lawyers:
‘Rollits is user-friendly and very responsive. It also has a mix of general construction law and litigation, which covers most requirements clients could need‘.
‘David Myers is a team player and is prepared to engage’.
Reckitt Benckiser (Brands) Limited
Yorkshire Housing Limited
Pickering & Ferens Homes
The Abbeyfield Society
- Assisting Reckitt Benckiser (Brands) Limited with the construction of the £100m redevelopment of its Hull site.
The newly formed construction team in Shoosmiths LLP's Leeds office excels in national matters including student accommodation work, motorway service area developments, hotel and care home issues and retail matters. Team leader Rick Atha specialises in non-contentious construction matters and is dual qualified as a chartered civil engineer. Senior associate Christine Burrows, who joined from DAC Beachcroft LLP, focuses on project work.
Other key lawyers:
‘Shoosmiths is fundamentally proactive in all aspects of a deal and provides a joined-up, well thought through due diligence process, which makes working with all parties enjoyable. The team is thorough, conscientious and diligent in all of its work and is always on hand to discuss challenges‘.
‘Rick Atha and Christine Burrows are always on hand and available at all times as well as very thorough and extremely helpful‘.
Extra MSA Group Limited
Cinnamon Care Capital
Park Lane Properties
Peugeot Motor Company Plc
- Advising Extra MSA Group on the development of a new Skelton Lake motorway services area.
- Assisting Gilltown Limited with the construction of two large student accommodation schemes in Bournemouth and Coventry.
- Advising Moorfield Group as funder and forward purchaser on a 290-bed student accommodation project in Birmingham.
- Advising Cinnamon Care Capital on the construction of multiple new care homes nationally.
- Asissting Allied London with the development of the Astley & Byrom House in Manchester including an extension to the existing building.
Shulmans LLP's specialist construction team works closely with the firm's commercial property group and handles contractual issues, construction litigation and is increasingly active in other elements of the construction process. Department head Sarah Wilson joined from Watson Burton LLP and focuses on construction litigation.
‘Shulmans fields a team of dedicated professionals who readily grasp the issues and get to the point‘.
‘The firm fields a strong and diverse team which is capable of dealing with all types of matters‘.
‘Shulmans is a practice which you really want to have on your side when dealing with litigation. It has a direct and reliable team, which always looks to provide robust advice even when it is not always the news the client is looking for‘.
‘Sarah Wilson is very approachable and prides herself on understanding her clients needs by fully examining every aspects. She is firm and manages cases extremely well and achieves the best possible outcome‘.
‘Sarah Wilson is very methodical and has a very calm demeanour that works well when dealing with conflict‘.
Cairn Cross Civil Engineering Limited
Advinia Health Care
H20 Urban (No 2) LLP
- Acting for a sub-contractor in a disruption claim via adjudication.
- Advising Advinia Health Care on the construction elements of its care home projects.
- Assisting Barmston Developments with the construction contracts related to a key commercial site in Sheffield.
- Acting for H20 Urban (No 2) LLP on a project to develop a site into a new student accommodation building.
- Assisting H20 Urban (No2) LLP with the redevelopment of a site into a major retail park.