Crime: fraud in West Midlands
Cartwright King's practice, which routinely acts in the defence of serious investigations and prosecutions, is led by fraud and tax head Sundeep Soor, who is well regarded for his work in proceeds of crime matters. Senior associate John Allchin frequently defends heavyweight fraud cases and associate Gemma Redfern is recommended for her confiscation and restraint work. Solicitor Miqdad Marzook is also rated for his substantial experience in complex fraud and regulatory cases.
‘A tenacious and dedicated team that goes the extra mile to provide one of the most professional services going‘.
‘The team gets to grips with the key issues quickly‘.
‘A quality outfit that knows what it is doing and exudes confidence‘.
‘Sundeep Soor is a consummate professional who excels in client care‘.
‘John Allchin is approachable, professional and highly intuitive. His judgement is excellent‘.
‘John Allchin goes the extra mile for his clients and his case preparation is exemplary‘.
- Defended a client who was charged on his own and who was facing substantial SFO prosecution alleging fraud to the value of £1.4bn.
- Defended its clients in a SFO prosecution into an internationally backed multimillion-pound UK commercial property development where there was suspected fraud.
- Defended in a £13m payment diversion fraud where funds were laundered through a sophisticated network of offshore businesses and bank accounts.
- Acted in an investigation by the Serious Fraud Office into a bribery and corruption matter relating to a contract that was valued in excess of a $50m.
- Acting in the defence of its client in complex lengthy, high value confiscation proceedings that are linked to a High Court judgment- this is now before the Court of Appeal.
Jonas Roy Bloom
Jonas Roy Bloom fields an excellent team that specialises in white-collar crime, proceeds of crime as well as civil and regulatory litigation under the leadership of Ben Henry. Henry is experienced in all aspects of corporate and white-collar crime and frequently advises directors and owners of large businesses. The other key figure in the team is Matt O’Brien, who has developed considerable expertise in proceeds of crime cases.
Other key lawyers:
- Defended a company director who was prosecuted for fraud in the wake of the historic collapse of his family business in 2011.
- Advising a company on an investigation by the Information Commissioner’s Office and on the eventual imposition of a substantial monetary penalty.
- Advising an individual in connection with the various litigation arising from the investigations into Cambridge Analytica, Facebook and UKIP.
- Advising its client in an SFO investigation into pension fraud and money laundering.
- Advising its client in connection with a money laundering investigation following the conviction of an international drug dealer.
Hamraj Kang at Kangs Solicitors leads a large team that advises on all aspects of financial crime. The team is adept at handling multi-jurisdictional criminal and financial regulatory investigations and regularly acts for plcs in addition to corporate and individual clients. Kang has extensive experience of defending SFO, HMRC, FCA and BIS cases while John Veale has particular expertise in large scale mortgage fraud and CIS fraud cases.
Other key lawyers:
John Veale; Frances Murray
‘Hamraj Kang has developed a successful practice and is attracting some good fraud work‘.
‘This is a first-class firm with unrivalled experience, a great track record, an acute attention to detail and a tenacity that clients really rate are features of this firm‘.
‘This first- class white collar team has strength in depth of quality lawyers and an impressive array of heavyweight regional and national cases‘.
‘The firm has developed an enviable reputation as the ‘go to’ firm for serious crime and fraud matters‘.
‘Hamraj Kang ‘s knowledge and experience is second to none- he is a master tactician‘.
‘Hamraj Kang has a fierce intellect and an ability to soak up complex detail with ease and shape cases successfully‘.
‘Hamraj Kang is exceptionally talented and a clever thinker. Clients flock to him for the simple brilliance of his judgment’.
‘Hamraj Kang has vast experience, excellent tactical sense and a great ability to reassure clients. He is someone you would want in your corner. Frances Murray is extremely tenacious – she has a great sense of client care and great ability to get to the heart of a case and work out how best to defend it’.
‘John Veale is a very experienced solicitor. Widely regarded for his fraud expertise. A meticulous solicitor and strong negotiator‘.
‘John Veale is hardworking and client focused‘.
- Represented one of ten clients charged with bribery, corruption & money laundering offences by Scotland Yard’s Complex Fraud team.
- Represented one of 18 defendants in relation to a multi-jurisdictional investment fraud at Southwark Crown Court.
- Represented a client in relation to a complex MTIC/VAT fraud valued in excess of £20m at Sheffield Crown Court.
- Represented a high-profile consultant surgeon in relation to fraud and perverting the course of justice.
- Represented the chairman of a UK PLC in a SFO investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption in the former Soviet Republics.
Gateley Plc acts for claimants and defendants in fraud disputes and tracing actions. The group is increasingly taking roles on substantial cross-border claims and claims for offshore clients. Ruth Armstrong is strong on all aspects of fraud and financial crime cases, with a particular focus on claims in the housebuilding, banking, manufacturing and transport industries. Mark Wilson is another name to note for his work in substantial fraud-related litigation and James Baird is a known name for his advice to banks, funders and leasing companies on all aspects of fraud.
Ruth Armstrong; Mark Wilson; James Baird
‘Ruth Armstrong is an able regulatory lawyer‘.
Begbies Traynor (Central) LLP
CVR Global LLP
RSM Restructuring Advisory LLP
- Represented a payday loan and short-term financial service provider following dawn raids by the SFO and HMRC into financial irregularities by two director-shareholders.
- Acting for a high net-worth individual in allegations of fraud and accounting irregularity by HMRC.
- Acted in a nine-figure dispute arising out of the sale of a credit card portfolio.
- Advised the lender in relation to an allegation of illegality and bribery in respect of loan.
BLM is recognised for its fraud expertise in the insurance sector. Head of the fraud practice group Sarah Hill handles a diverse range of matters from large-scale organised fraud to high-value exaggerated fraud cases. Daniel Thomas is also well regarded for his work on fraudulent employers’ liability/public liability claims as well as motor claims. Simon Hammond left in January 2019 to join NHS Resolution as director of claims.
Other key lawyers:
‘The specialist team is good at representing insurance companies in relation to potentially fraudulent civil claims‘.
- Successfully acted for QBE in a large loss – personal injury/fraud claim.
DWF fields a large national fraud team that is skilled in all aspects of insurance fraud claims and financial crime. Lorraine Carolan, who leads the multi-disciplinary offering and counter-fraud team nationally, has considerable expertise in sectors such as insurance, financial risk, transport and logistics as well as retail and hospitality. Andrew Leach has a particular focus on large and complex international cases involving fraud while Miles Hepworth has extensive experience in counter fraud and claims validation.
‘The team is skilled at defending commercial clients against fraudulently pursued civil claims‘.
LV General Insurance
Insure the Box
- Represented A in a claim arising out of an allegedly fraudulent operation of a dividend arbitrage tax reclaim scheme in London/Dubai for in excess of £1.6bn.
- Acting as supervising solicitors in a doorstop search order to be executed in four locations in England/Wales.
- Advising LV= on obtaining committal proceedings/suspended prison sentences against nine people who were involved in a crash for cash.
- Acted for Insure the Box in a groundbreaking case that involved the use of telematics data to uncover a fraudulent claim.
- Defended claims that were made by two claimants who were found to be fundamentally dishonest.