Immigration in United States
Berry Appleman & Leiden LLP is widely considered to be at the top of the immigration legal market. With nine offices across the US overseen by Jeremy Fudge in Dallas, the 'excellent' corporate immigration group is active across the spectrum of business immigration, acting for clients including a selection of the world's largest blue chip companies. Washington DC managing partner Lynden Melmed is the go-to name for complex and often sensitive immigration advisory matters, having built up years of federal level experience acting as counsel for the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Robert Groban is a name to note in New York for matters relating to the financial services, health and life sciences, and technology industries. Looking west, Frieda Garcia in San Francisco focuses on global immigration initiatives. Other contacts on the West Coast include founding partner David Berry and senior associate Tiffany Martinez. In the energy space, Roberto Caballero handles comprehensive advisory work and immigration strategies from the firm's Houston and Austin offices. Also in Texas, Dallas-based Kortney Gibson is noted for her work in H-1B speciality occupation and O-1 extraordinary ability non-immigrant visas, and senior associate Matthew Gross handles I-9 and E-Verify compliance issues. The firm has also recently formed an alliance with Deloitte UK, allowing the team to make use of Deloitte's global network and tax expertise to handle complex cross-border matters.
Other key lawyers:
‘Jeremy Fudge just makes everything work and his attitude is infectious within the organization.’
‘Matthew Gross is a great partner to work with. I don’t consider him a vendor but our immigration partner, trusted adviser and very candid with me which is critically important for what I need to do as the program manager.’
‘Key strength’s include very consultative approach on their immigration recommendations including risk analysis on a variety of options, and they present their recommended “best” approach.’
‘This is an excellent team.’
- Providing guidance on compliance and program management to the world’s largest professional networking company.
- Representing the leader in enterprise software with over 130,000 employees worldwide.
- Representing a global leader in computer security and information management.
Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy
Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy has an excellent reputation in the immigration space and is well-regarded by peers and clients. With 18 offices across North America, the firm is well placed to handle cross-border and often complex immigration mandates. Bo Cooper in DC leads the firm's government strategies and compliance team. Also recommended are Austin Fragomen in New York, Atlanta-based Daryl Buffenstein, and Cynthia Lange in Silicon Valley, who has over three decades of experience advising on government investigations and global immigration strategies.
Daryl Buffenstein; Cynthia Lange
The immigration group at Seyfarth Shaw LLP is highly rated by clients and peers, boasting a seven-decade reputation for corporate immigration planning and management. The practice group is jointly led by Boston based Russell Swapp and James King in Atlanta. Other contacts in Atlanta include counsel Sharon Cook, who handles the immigration portfolio of more than 5,000 foreign nationals, and Gabriel Mozes, who focuses on visa issues including temporary non-immigrant visa petitions, permanent employment, and family-based immigrant visa applications. In DC, senior counsel Dawn Lurie specializes in I-9 worksite enforcement and immigration compliance matters, and Leon Rodriguez is singled out for his multi-disciplinary advice and policy insight across the immigration landscape, having acted as the former director of United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Los Angeles-based Angelo Paparelli is experienced in defending employers against government investigations, as well as litigating in court. In one standout highlight, Paparelli is working to challenge the legal authority of a unit of USCIS to engage in worksite investigations.
Russell Swapp; James King
Other key lawyers:
Society for Human Resource Management
Haitian TPS Holders
- Developing strategies for (1) determining which visa types may benefit from front-loading the petitions to increase the rate of approval without receiving a Request For Evidence (RFE) or denial; (2) continuous change in strategy to respond to RFEs successfully.
- Drafted standard documentation for evidence in response to recent USCIS scrutiny around beneficiary qualifications.
- Serving as labor and employment policy counsel for SHRM, including providing counsel on various employment verification and business immigration issues.
- Challenging the fundamental legal authority of the Fraud Detection and National Security Directorate, a unit of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), to engage in worksite investigations — a government function assigned by Congress to US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
Highlighted for its 'excellent customer service', Akerman LLP has a strong immigration practice in Florida, where it represents clients in the areas of communications, education, energy and healthcare. Miami-based practice head Maria Casablanca has over two decades of experience in business immigration matters and has particular expertise representing high-net-worth clients from Latin America. In Orlando, former co-chair Thomas Raleigh advises corporates on business entry matters, including business immigration planning and compliance. Also recommended in Miami is Denise Gavica Perez, who is especially experienced in the healthcare sector, where she advises hospitals and staffing agencies on a full range of immigration matters. The team also handles pro-bono political asylum cases.
Other key lawyers:
Tom Raleigh; Denise Gavica Perez
‘Ms. Denise Gavica Perez, Partner at Akerman: Over the years, I have used Ms. Gavica Perez at various companies that I have been associated with as it related to our immigration issues. She is the go-to person as it relates to these matters. Always accessible at any given time and day.’
‘The team has the knowledge, compassion, understand the business, excellent customer service, and a timely follow-up.‘
- Represented Pelliconi Florida in the planning and maintenance of the client’s TN and L-1A status for key production employees and maintenance department managers; also coordinated PERM processing and provide ongoing general immigration advice to the HR Department.
- Represented Trihedral in coordinating the extension of L-1A status for a senior managerial employee from Canada, and commence PERM planning.
- Represented Connetics USA in processing numerous nurse cases to fill vacant nursing positions at various hospitals.
- Representation of Bassett Healthcare Network in processing 60+ nurse cases to fill vacant nursing positions at a hospital in New York.
- Representation of Dr. Kalaskar, a surgeon, in obtaining O-1 non-immigrant worker visa.
Duane Morris LLP
Duane Morris LLP's immigration team acts alongside the firm's tax, corporate, and litigation groups to provide a full range of immigration law advice to companies in the tech and pharmaceuticals sectors. Working across several of the firm's California offices, practice head Lisa Spiegel is 'amazing' according to one client, advising on the spectrum of visa issues, covering US non-immigrant visa, immigrant visas, and other global visas. Denyse Sabagh in Washington DC is the name for employment-related immigration advice and litigation matters. Pierre Bonnefil joined the team in New York, and frequently represents clients before the US Department of Homeland Security and other federal agencies.
‘Efficient and bottom-line oriented, high touch and great at working with smaller companies.’
‘Wisdom, practicality, expert guidance and a real desire to help clients. Lisa Spiegel is amazing.‘
Texas-based boutique immigration firm Foster LLP provides comprehensive domestic and international immigration law advice from its offices spread across Houston, Austin and Rio Grande Valley. Largely based in the firm's Houston office, the team is headed by firm founder Charles Foster, who represents multinational corporates and foreign investors in relation to I-9 compliance and EB-5 investor visa programs. José Pérez is a name to note for family-based immigration visas. Other key names in Houston include John Meyer, who heads the investor team, Helene Dang and of counsel Judy Lee, who focuses on employment-based immigration. Contacts in the Austin office include managing partner Robert Loughran, Todd Fowler and Ryan Chargois.
Other key lawyers:
Public Research University and Medical System
- Represented individual investors, mostly Vietnamese and Mexican nationals, to make a qualified EB-5 investment into an EB-5 project sponsored by a USCIS-approved Regional Centre prior to the regulatory change to the EB-5 investor program.
- Obtained multiple non-immigrant visa approvals for a large cap-exempt organization, including a large volume of H-1B specialty occupation visas.
- Organized and facilitated the applications for foreign Israeli work permits and visas for a Houston-based oil and natural gas exploration and production company.
- Brought suit on behalf of a large public research university and medical system to the US government for the unfair practices of the USCIS in making “arbitrary and capricious decisions” regarding US student and work visa approvals and denials.
- Assisted with the preparation of visa applications and non-immigrant petitions for 10- 15 intra-company transferees needed to travel to the US to initially operate a highly sophisticated and proprietary concrete construction equipment.
Greenberg Traurig LLP provides 'exceptional' advice to large US and international corporates, investors and individuals on a wide range of immigration matters, including strategic immigration planning. Jointly led by Washington DC-based Laura Reiff and Ian Macdonald in Atlanta, the business immigration and compliance group is particularly experienced in matters relating to the EB-5 immigrant investor program; Kate Kalmykov is another contact in this space. Another core strength of the team is representing businesses in large-scale audits and federal investigations. A name to note for audit and investigations work is Martha Schoonover in Northern Virginia; she also advises on a whole range of business visa matters. The team was further strengthened by two new arrivals from Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy: Jay Ruby joined the Atlanta office, and Anna Morzy joined in Chicago.
Laura Reiff; Ian Macdonald
‘I think what makes this firm unique is the way the whole firm is willing to help you or anyone that you are working with fully understand the process without feeling like a bother. Other firms I have worked with have NEVER went above and beyond like this firm does.‘
‘Uniqueness of this team is that they always are on top of the communication within the team and the changes of any given issues are shared which is very hard to find. The team has true effectiveness and team work is exceptional.‘
‘They all are team player and is available all times for any needs. They know each individual cases by heart (more than myself) which is truly remarkable.‘
CVS Pharmacy and CVS Caremark
City of Miami
Swire Properties US
Extell New York Regional Center
- Worked with Extell New York Regional Center on a number of high profile corporate real estate projects in New York City structuring over $500m in EB-5 financing.
- Represented Silverstein Properties in raising EB-5 funds for its Four Seasons downtown project, a $930m hotel and condo project in New York City. The team closed on $250m in EB-5 financing to complete the project.
- Advised numerous clients on structuring deals that enable successor companies to continue to employ foreign national workers in compliance with US immigration law.
- Worked to structure over $1.5bn in EB-5 financing for the Hudson Yards Project being developed by The Related Companies.
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP's immigration team is known by clients to be 'knowledgeable, efficient and reliable'. Co-chair Mark Koestler advises leading industry clients, especially in the fashion and financial services sectors, on the hiring, transfer, and retention of foreign national executives. Advertising is another of the group's sector strengths, with the firm acting for one-third of the top fifty agencies in the US. Matthew Dunn co-chairs the practice group and advises a huge variety of clients on workforce mobility strategies.
Mark Koestler; Matthew Dunn
Other key lawyers:
‘They are very knowledgeable, efficient and reliable professionals.’
‘Matt Dunn who oversees all the aspects of immigration, is a professional, dedicated, committed expert individual in the immigration industry. his ethics are of the higher standards. His dedication and persistence to obtain the greatest results make him unique.’
Mayer Brown is 'among the best firms' operating in the immigration space in DC and is highlighted for its handling of complex and often cross-border business immigration matters. The global mobility team has decades of experience in immigration strategy, planning, and compliance, and also has a niche offering in risk management for large corporate clients. Practice head and 'highly astute strategist' Elizabeth Stern is experienced in assisting companies with expanding internationally, working primarily in the financial services, defense and telecoms sectors. Stern is also noted for her global HR expertise and, together with Grace Shie, she routinely advises multinational corporations on employee mobility and transfers. The wider team includes employment law senior associate Timothy D’Arduini, who is praised by clients and is recommended for corporate transaction work. Max Del Rey is another contact in the employment team; he advises clients on immigration-related compliance and risk management.
Elizabeth Espín Stern
Other key lawyers:
Timothy D’Arduini; Gracie Shi; Max Del Rey
‘The team shows an extraordinary degree of skill and commitment in its advice to its clients. In our case, the team clearly and concisely laid-out their strategy, and executed it to perfection, leading to a very positive outcome.’
‘Liz Stern is a wonderful advisor – upbeat, smart-as-a-tack, a highly astute strategist, and super to deal with. Liz was very ably supported by an outstanding team, including Max del Rey, whose friendly demeanor and thoughtful guidance was greatly appreciated, and by many others, at different stages of the overall process. A terrific, positive experience!‘
‘The Mayer Brown team is extremely impressive and well-rounded. With this global immigration team, you receive top-notch lawyering and compliance advice for not only U.S. matters but for global matters. The quality and breadth of the team’s experience differentiate their team from many immigration practices. They are equipped to handle large investigations, complicated immigration issues, and small to large volume accounts. Whatever the client engagement, they consistently provide high touch service and innovative solutions.‘
‘The immigration community needs to watch out for Timothy D’Arduini. He is a rising star and central to many of Mayer Brown’s accounts.‘
‘This team is among the best I have worked with. What sets this team apart from other law firms is that the team can handle general employer-sponsored visas, complex visa applications for senior executives, and handle matters related to immigration enforcement with I-9 forms and E-Verify. It is very rare to find a team with the expertise to handle immigration filings and immigration regulatory compliance. I have found that most firms try to assist with compliance, but they don’t have the expertise. This team is very experienced in all aspects of immigration law and compliance.’
‘The key attorneys are Elizabeth Stern, Grace Shie, Paul Virtue, Paul Saraukas, and Timothy D’Arduini. They are extremely experienced and knowledgeable as well as down to earth.‘
American Express Company
American Credit Acceptance
Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
Hong Kong Monetary Authority
International Air Transport Association (IATA)
- Developed bespoke Virtuous Cycle PERM Program with American Express General Counsel Office and Drive4Efficiency (D4E) consultants.
- Working with the CEO of a European multimedia company expanding digital entertainment in the US in relation to a business plan for expanded bi-coastal US launch.
- Represented Amici Curae in an amicus brief filed in the US Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit in support of a lawsuit by the State of Washington challenging the initial so-called “Muslim travel ban” executive order issued by President Trump in January 2017.
- Developing strategy to allow Northern Trust to initiate stand-alone sponsorship of assignees from its US headquarters working throughout Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
- Act as global immigration strategic advisor for management of the Cummins international mobility and assignment program.
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, P.C.'s practice is largely based out of Boston and is led by seasoned immigration lawyer John Quill, who joined from Seyfarth Shaw LLP in July 2019. Quill brings with him over two decades of experience in all aspects of visa work. Former chair Susan Cohen is another key figure; she is rated for her expertise in nationality law and immigration policy. Other names to note include special counsel Angel Feng, who advises on visas and mobility strategies for business, and William Coffman, who focuses on emigration work. In addition to visa matters, the team also handles immigration-related due diligence in connection with M&A. The group also handles pro bono asylum cases, an area where Sue Finegan is the key contact.
Refinitiv (formerly Thomson Reuters (Markets))
National Queer Asian Pacific Islander Alliance
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP's multi-disciplinary global mobility practice handles the full scope of business immigration matters for an impressive array of clients, and is especially skilled in handling litigation-heavy immigration mandates. Overseen by Eleanor Pelta in Washington DC, and San Francisco-based James Vázquez-Azpiri, the team's key areas of specialization include non-US visas and work permits, foreign employment laws, advising on the immigration implications of corporate reorganizations, including those in the context of M&A. In Miami, Laura Garvin handles employment-related immigration work and is recommended for her experience of the I-9 employment verification system. Another contact in San Francisco is Christina Gonzaga, who has a decade of experience in employment based advisory work, and also handles a significant amount of pro-bono work for asylum seekers and deportation cases. The group bolstered its offering in DC last year with the lateral hire of Shannon Donnelly from Baker McKenzie LLP; though English-qualified lawyer Nicholas Hobson left the New York team for an in-house role at Endeavour.
Eleanor Pelta; James Vázquez-Azpiri
‘So easy to work with, very clear on processes and steps required to quickly and simply apply for visas. Always communicate professionally and in a timely manner with both my company and perspective employees who need advice or have questions related to visas and international moves. Morgan Lewis hold great industry events/mixers so that we know who our contact is and understand more about the industry, I have thoroughly enjoyed some of the educational events on employment law etc.’
Samsung Research America and Samsung Semiconductor
T. Rowe Price
- Successfully litigated US visa denials in federal court for various clients.
- Ongoing Immigration work for T. Rowe Price, including entire portfolio of visa applications and filing of federal complaint.
- Working with DHL/Deutsche Post to manage all of the company’s immigration programs.
- Providing comprehensive US inbound immigration management and counseling to Ensco.
- Retained by Proofpoint for all US and global immigration matters and to assist in the development of a new immigration policy.
The 'exceptional' New York-based immigration and nationality practice at Proskauer Rose LLP is jointly led by David Grunblatt and Valarie McPherson, both of whom are highly rated by clients. The team is skilled in corporate immigration policies and global business matters, and has been involved in a litany of non-immigrant and immigrant visa matters for corporations and their business operations. Jennifer Wexler is also a name to note in the group; she has expertise representing domestic and international companies in the fashion and retail industry. The core client roster includes financial institutions, large corporations, non-profit organizations, and universities.
Valarie McPherson; David Grunblatt
Other key lawyers:
Erica Loomba; Jennifer Wexler; Jennifer Rizzo
‘The team is incredibly easy to work with and are always on top of what the trends are in immigration. They have been able to answer all of my questions and then some and make things that seem confusing feel easy. Their use of the LawLogix platform is superior it makes my life so much easier as I coordinate with my employees, and they are very responsive to emails and are open to actual discussions via email which in my line of work is much easier to manage than to just get on a call. They are always accommodating and easy to get a hold of.’
‘Val McPherson has always been amazing. She explains things to myself and to employees easily and effortlessly answering questions and always being there to lend a hand when we need it. Jennifer Rizzo has always been on top of things and keeps me on top of things with her organization. I thought I was fairly organized and then Jennifer came along and made me so thankful to have someone who is more organized than myself help me out.’
‘Valarie McPherson is a very experienced immigration practitioner who is tremendously responsive and always willing to take an extra moment to provide important context or nuance.‘
‘David Grunblatt is outstanding. If you have a novel issue or even a same old question, he brings a fresh and practical approach that helps employers think through immigration risks, rewards, and strategies for their talent and compliance programs.’
‘The team works exceptionally well together to shepherd all sorts of immigration applications (visas of different types, green cards, etc.) through the bureaucratic process as efficiently as possible.’
Pryor Cashman LLP
Described as 'wonderfully strategic', the New-York based immigration practice at Pryor Cashman LLP is led by Colleen Caden and handles a range of matters for a diverse client base including corporates and individuals. The team works in a variety of industries including aviation, education, financial services, technology, pharmaceuticals, fashion, and entertainment, and is one of the market's to go-to advisors for professional sports-related immigration work. Other names to note include Avram Morell, a key advisor for clients in the financial services industry, and Maria Gandarez, who has nearly three decades of experience and is rated for her advisory work on employment visas and permanent residence programs. Dina Weinstein is a standout associate in the team. The firm also has an office in LA, from which it advises some well-known names in the media and entertainment industry.
Other key lawyers:
Maria Fernanda Gandarez; Dina Weinstein; Avram Morel
‘Excellent responsiveness to company and individual concerns. Feedback is always timely and informative, escalating matters as needed. Wonderful strategic partners to ensure high quality customer service.‘
‘They are super-responsive, and they give us options rather than a one cookie cutter approach. Colleen Caden and her team are wonderful.‘
‘Maria Fernanda Gandarez has consistently provided our team with immigration support at a very high touch and personal level for many years. She understands the culture of our organization and advises us as though she sits in our office every day, ensuring top quality service to each and every case.‘
‘Brian Simmons has also become a great extension of our internal Global Mobility team with his enthusiasm and engaging manner. He brings fun and candor to otherwise mundane calls, and I appreciate his responsiveness to interview prep questions in a real and understandable fashion.‘
- Representing a leading global company that designs and deploys technological solutions aimed at helping governments and organizations to fulfil their commitments to citizens, stakeholders and employees by providing efficient, cost-effective voting solutions.
- Retained to conduct an internal I-9 audit in the context of an M&A involving the client, a premier distributor of specialty food products.
Baker McKenzie LLP runs a full-service immigration group is composed of an integrated team of lawyers across the firm's employment, corporate, tax, and data privacy practices. Betsy Morgan leads the practice group from the Chicago office. Leveraging the firm's international network and its on-the-group expertise in employment-based immigration law and transactions, the US team is an attractive choice for multinational clients. Ginger Partee is the key name for I-9 and other compliance audits. Also based in Chicago is David Serwer, who has experience in immigration matters in the healthcare, energy, mining and infrastructure sectors. Serwer also has an active pro-bono practice, where he handles a considerable number of naturalization cases. Melissa Allchin was recently promoted to partner.
Guardian Media Group
- Advising AGCO on US, global immigration, and related employment and benefits issues.
- Advising Caterpillar on US and, as needed, global immigration and related employment issues.
- Managing the portfolio of a large global bank, which consists of over 900 mobile employees. Providing assistance across a large number of jurisdictions, including in the US, Canada, Colombia, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, the Philippines, the UK and more.
- Managing Mozilla’s entire US and global immigration portfolio of foreign national employees.
Noted for its 'knowledge and experience', Cozen O'Connor's immigration policy group utilizes a multi-disciplinary approach, working alongside the firm's tax and employment practices to provide end-to-end immigration law advice. Established in Miami and Philadelphia, the team handles high-volume visa work for domestic and international clients, and is particularly skilled in obtaining the temporary H1B visa for large corporates. Miami-based practice head Scott Bettridge works across the financial services, hospitality, IT, energy, agriculture, insurance, and health care sectors, with a focus on global workforce mobility issues. He is supported by associate Daniela Barshel, who handles family-based sponsorship matters. In Philadelphia, Frances Rayer is a key contact for employment-related immigration work. The firm also has a strong regional footing with immigration lawyers spread across New York, San Francisco and Houston.
‘Daniela has a tremendous experience she explains the Immigration processes very well. Always available. Scott has also a tremendous experience and I do value that he is very busy but available to call my employees and explain the process when is needed.’
‘The knowledge and experience of the attorney.’
Banco Itau International
European American Chamber of Commerce (EACC)
- Providing comprehensive immigration services to US subsidiaries of the largest bank in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Represented Florida Hotels & Restaurants in its EB-5 hotel development project.
- Represented Crisis Text Line, a global not-for-profit organization providing free crisis intervention via SMS message, in successfully obtaining a H1B visa for the new COO.
- Represented the European American Chamber of Commerce in successfully obtaining an H1B visa for EACCNY’s business professional, including RFE response.
- Represented Cansortium Holdings in successfully obtaining two O1A visas for Greek scientists on behalf of Cansortium, now Get Fluent.
Fisher & Phillips
The global immigration practice at Fisher & Phillips provides comprehensive advice on workplace compliance matters and immigration strategies. Shanon Stevenson and Davis Bae jointly chair the practice from Atlanta and Seattle, respectively. Denver-based Angelica Ochoa is another contact, as are Dorothy Basmaji in Detroit and David Jones in Memphis.
Shanon Stevenson; Davis Bae
Ford & Harrison LLP
Ford & Harrison LLP's business immigration team is led by Geetha Adinata, who splits her time between Los Angeles and Atlanta, and is a name to note for I-9 and E-Verify compliance matters. Counsel Loren Locke is another contact in Atlanta. Also recommended is Charles Roach in Minneapolis, who handles a wide variety of immigration matters, including government audits and investigations.
Grossman Young & Hammond
Grossman Young & Hammond is rated by clients for its 'impeccable chemistry', acting in a full range of immigration law and visa matters for corporates in a variety of industry sectors. Standout partner and co-chair of the practice Becki Young is the name to note for matters in the hospitality industry, where she represents leading restaurants and hotels. Co-chair and seasoned litigator Sandra Grossman has niche expertise in advising foreign governments on inadmissibility issues, in addition to handling more traditional immigration work. Also recommended are senior counsel Denise Hammond and Yeon Me Kim.
Becki Young; Sandra Grossman
‘My main partner is Becki Young. She’s not only a top of the line lawyer, but a top of the line human being. Her compassion for what she does is uncanny, and the way she keeps her clients personally cared for is something I have yet to experience with any professional I have worked with in any field.’
‘Sandra Grossman – She’s someone whom I got to know on more personal level than professional, as she was the attorney who handled the asylum case of my best friend, Mohammed Alsamawi. I could see why Becki & Sandra decided to merge their businesses into one firm. Similar characters, similar passion, and compassion.’
‘The human behind the name. Throughout the past four years, I got to know virtually everyone at GYH. Literally. The chemistry the whole team in the firm has is impeccable. I could tell that compassion, kindness, and sense of humor where part of the benchmarks of the hiring process. From the top partners, to the admin assistants, seem to share these characteristics, and it certainly is the defining feature of the work culture of the firm.’
‘This firm specializes in Immigration Law and stays true to its speciality field. This enables them to be extremely successful. Their expertise is unparalleled with other firms I have dealt in the past, and moreover, their willingness to communicate and exchange feedbacks have helped them grow as individual lawyers/paralegals and of course as a company as whole.‘
‘Yeon Me Kim has been incredibly valuable source of information as well as sound legal advice. She works tirelessly late at nights, early in the morning and through the weekend.’
Blue Hill at Stone Barns
The Dinex Group
Fabio Trabocchi Management
A Modo Mio (d/b/a Et Voila!)
- Representing Keswick Hall in developing an international recruitment strategy for staffing of the resort’s grand re-opening, following multimillion-dollar renovations.
- Representing a 30-year old American citizen who was wrongfully detained by police and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials for almost a year due to a mistaken identity.
- Representing a highly distinguished pasta chef in developing an O-1 portfolio to enable her employment with GYH client Fabio Trabocchi Management.
- Assisting a national radio program, The Moth, with visitor visas for its storytellers.
Hogan Lovells US LLP's Washington DC-based immigration team acts for governments, multinational corporates and individuals in obtaining employment-based US visas and permanent residency. It also has niche expertise at the intersection of immigration and trade laws, advising on issues such as deemed export compliance. The practice group is overseen by Aleksandar Dukic and Beth Peters, who also co-chairs the international trade and investment practice. Also recommended is Anne Fisher, the name to note for immigration, export control, customs and economic sanctions advice. The team is supported by a handful of senior paralegals who work across different practice areas.
Beth Peters; Aleksandar Dukic
Other key lawyers:
City Facilities Management
Central American Bottling Company
Venture Global LNG
- Assisted a global insurance/reinsurance and financial services company with obtaining visa petitions and pursuing other visa-related filings to enable the expansion of US operations in highly specialized fields including actuaries, international legal advisors and other professionals, as well as with respect to its joint venture.
- Provide immigration advice to Insulet Corporation, an innovative medical device company based in Acton, Massachusetts.
- Provide immigration advice to Intrexon Corporation, a leader in synthetic biology, to obtain legal authorization for its foreign national scientists to work in the US, both for temporary non- immigrant visas and for permanent resident status.
- Assisting with an E-3 visa process to transfer one of the top-level executives from overseas to the US operations.
- Assisted CBC with the L-1A visa petition process for top executives to transfer from Guatemala, Argentina and Honduras to the company’s US subsidiaries, in connection with its decision to expand its existing operations in Florida and Puerto Rico.
Based in New York, Laura Devine Attorneys LLC is a well-regarded boutique immigration practice that is known for its presence in the US and in London. Overseen by managing partner Laura Devine, the team has dual US and UK immigration law expertise and offers clients a specialized business and family law service. Global head of the US group Anastasia Tonello and Jennifer Stevens who heads the UK immigration are key contacts.
Laura Devine; Anastasia Tonello; Jennifer Stevens
McDermott Will & Emery LLP's immigration team is recognized for its holistic, partner-led business immigration law service. Led by Joan-Elisse Carpentier in New York, the team handles hires and transfers of foreign employees, I-9 compliance programs, and also assists clients with corporate immigration policy. Through its alliance with the Volunteer Lawyers for The Arts, the team maintains an active presence in the arts and entertainment sector, but also has strengths in areas such as finance and banking, broadcasting, pharmaceuticals, and energy. Immigration specialist Malati Lal is another key figure in the practice group.
Other key lawyers:
Focke & Co
Wildlife Conservation Society
- Handling H1B visa applications for multiple companies.
- Successfully secured a visa for a Brazilian soccer coach to come to the US.
- Assisted a German entrepreneur with securing O1 visa for people who demonstrate extraordinary ability in their field.
- Assisted with O1 visa for Scandinavian academic with an international name as a writer and speaker on the Nazi holocaust.
- Acting as immigration counsel to major broadcast television and radio network CBS.
Ogletree Deakins advises on the transfer of employees for international and domestic corporations. The bulk of the team is based in North Carolina. Practice head Andrew Merrills is based in the firm's Raleigh office, and Rebecca Sigmund is a contact in Greenville. In Denver, John Combs specializes in US inbound immigration matters.
Led from the firm's New York office, Baker & Hostetler LLP's immigration practice assists clients obtain temporary work visas and residence visas, and advises on compliance rules such as the I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Amy Traub leads the team form the New York office, while James Levine heads the Georgia team. Levine has over thirty-five years of experience in immigration law and is recommended for his work for domestic and multinational corporations. In Houston, Matthew Hoyt is the name for O-1 visa matters, and counsel Pamela Nieto handles citizenship related issues. The group also leverages the firm's wider strengths in litigation and employment law to provide clients with comprehensive immigration law service.
Bracewell LLP's immigration team has a 'wealth of knowledge' in the areas of energy, utilities, technology, bio-medical and healthcare, and religious organizations. Practice head Victoria Garcia in San Antonio is the key name in the group; she routinely assists clients with obtaining non-immigrant and immigrant visas for foreign employees, compliance audits, and EB-5 investor programs. Associate Amber Dodds is noted for her work in employee investigations. In 2019 the team lost its key practitioner in Houston. Nelli Nikova, who established the practice group, left the firm to found Nelli Nikova PC.
Other key lawyers:
‘The immigration team possesses a wealth of knowledge. They have been extremely supportive of our employees as well as our organization. They have been put some of our most difficult cases in front officials to get answers on matters that were crucial to our employees.’
‘Victoria Garcia is the subject expert for our Immigration Issues. She represents our employees as well as the organization. She has the highest level of integrity and it shows in every decision she makes.‘
Valero Energy Corporation
NuStar Services Company
City of San Antonio acting by and through City Public Service Board (CPS Energy)
Boardwalk Pipeline Partners
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
Sirius Computer Solutions
Circle K (formerly CST Services and Valero Retail Holdings)
Phalanx International (USA)
Food Safety Net Services
LiquidPower Specialty Products
China Communications Construction (USA)
- Represents Valero Energy Corporation in all matters related to immigration, including, but not limited to: (i) the preparation of H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, TN, and other non-immigrant visas, including B-1 in lieu of H-1B; (ii) the preparation of applications for employment and family-based permanent resident status and citizenship; and (iii) the preparation of asylum requests for employees from certain countries (such as Venezuela).
- Represents Sirius Computer Solutions in all matters related to immigration, including, but not limited to: (i) the preparation of H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, TN and other non-immigrant visas; (ii) the preparation of applications for employment and family-based permanent resident status and citizenship.
- Represents CPS Energy in all matters related to immigration, including, but not limited to: (i) the preparation of H-1B, TN and other non-immigrant visas, and (ii) the preparation of applications for employment and family-based permanent resident status and citizenship.
- Represents Boardwalk Pipeline Partners in all matters related to immigration, including, but not limited to: (i) the preparation of H-1B, L-1A, L-1B, TN, and other non-immigrant visas, and (ii) the preparation of applications for employment and family-based permanent resident status and citizenship.
- Represents religious organizations (conference offices, churches and schools) in the preparation of R-1 (religious worker) visas, H-1B visas, TN visas, F-1/J-1 student visa issues, and applications for permanent residency.
The 'extremely competent' immigration team at Dentons focuses primarily on business immigration matters and offers clients an integrated employment law and tax service. Silicon Valley-based litigator and practice head Matthew Schulz is experienced in global transfer programs, as well as in pre- and post-transfer counseling. Also recommended is associate Mengci Shao, who advises employers on government enforcement actions. The group is active across a wide range of industries including agribusiness, technology, financial services, and environmental activism.
Other key lawyers:
Mengci Shao; Eileen Wong
‘The team is extremely competent. Efficient in providing advise and execution. Understands the complexity around a companies immigrations and labour matters.’
‘The difference with other law firms lies within the level of engagement you receive. From Partners like Matthew Schulz to paralegals like Eileen Wong – just to name a few – provide an exceptional service helping our Company in various matters.’
Driscoll’s Strawberry Associates
Clarke Financial Partner
EB-5 Impact Capital Regional Center
GCL New Energy
TreeTAG / Earth Observation
- Acting as immigration counsel to Driscoll Strawberry Associates, supporting its global immigration needs in the US, Mexico, China, Australia and Europe.
- Advising IoT startup ROC-Connect on corporate, venture funding and immigration strategies to support growth in North and South America, as well as Europe.
- Partnered with Clarke Financial Partner to design and deliver innovative corporate and immigration strategies for companies and high-net-worth individuals in Vietnam to expand their business presence in the US.
- Advising the US subsidiary of the China based world leading supplier of solar panels materials on how to bring key management to expand their business presence in the US.
- Advising for Philippines-based multinational major commercial television network, which is a division of a Redwood, CA media company, on various immigration matters.
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP has a 'very strong' immigration team, which is experienced in the full range of domestic visa issues, advising on all aspects of temporary work visas, permanent residence and citizenship. Jointly headed by Ian Band and Adam Rosser, the group is particularly active in the healthcare and pharmaceutical sectors, where is handles all business immigration needs, especially the I-9 eligibility compliance for large corporations. Counsel Suzan Kern is recommended for nationality law. All named attorneys are based in Washington DC.
Ian Band; Adam Rosser
Other key lawyers:
Suzan Kern; Natalie Tynan
‘Adam Rosser is a class A executive and lawyer who is very good at communicating with top company executives and recently hired new employees. Very honest about the approach to the immigration work, not afraid to give the bad news and always plans a contingency just in case.’
‘Adam Rosser and his team are extremely knowledgeable about immigration rules and regulations. His team partners with us to help us navigate through difficult cases and clearly explains the changes that are happening in the US immigration landscape.’
‘Adam Rosser is available and responsive to our questions and concerns. His compassion and care to our employees, as well as his wealth of knowledge are valuable as he takes the time to speak with the employees to explain clearly the process and why things have changed with immigration laws.’
‘Carol Schlenker is our Senior Immigration Paralegal, and she is responsible and available as well to our cases. Her work is detailed and even when reviewed for final signature, there has not been a time when corrections were needed.’
Jackson Lewis P.C.
The immigration practice Jackson Lewis P.C. undertakes advisory work for private and public clients in relation to visa sponsorship matters, employment verifications, and compliance. Michael Neifach in Washington DC and Amy Peck in Omaha jointly lead the immigration practice. Maggie Murphy heads the Texas team and is noted for her employment-related immigration advisory work. Marko Maglich is the contact in New York for outbound immigration matters and has experience co-ordinating cross-border mandates.
Amy Peck; Michael Neifach
- Retained to handle an H-1B FY2020 lottery visa with a specific request that a Canadian Global Talent Stream work visa process be handled in parallel in case the H-1B petition was not selected in the FY2020 lottery.
- Successfully represented a large retail company in each I-9 compliance investigation.
Polsinelli PC's global mobility and immigration practice is led by Kansas City-based Jeffrey Bell, who has experience in developing immigration strategies and assisting companies across the financial services, technology, and manufacturing industries in securing work visas. Raazia Hall in Atlanta is recommended for corporate restructuring matters and immigration due diligence in the context of M&A. Sarah Hawk left the firm for Barnes & Thornburg LLP in 2020.
Other key lawyers:
Vedder Price handles a variety of immigration work including family-based and labour visas, and naturalization processes for clients. The team is led by Sara DeBlaze in Chicago. Supported by associates across the firm, DeBlaze advises on global immigration policy and strategy, and has extensive experience of I-9 compliance and E-Verify requirements.