Employment in Turkey
The team at Goksu Safi Isik Attorney Partnership provides 'fast and accurate' advice; it deals with issues including the drafting of employment documents, work and residency permits, employment-related litigation including dismissals and workplace accidents. Banu Mert heads the practice. Key clients are the Bank of China and IGA, the consortium building Istanbul Airport.
‘Provides quick and comprehensive responses.’
‘Fast and accurate.‘
‘They deliver high-quality consultancy in a highly efficient manner.’
Gezer Shoes and Slippers
Yeni Dunya Vakfı
- Advised Uludag Elektrik, a private electricity company, on employment law matters.
- Advised the Bank of China on labour law, including work permits for its employees.
- Assisted IGA, the company handling the construction of a new Istanbul airport, with employment law issues.
Gün + Partners has a full-service employment practice, handling matters such as litigation, restructuring and reorganisation, collective bargaining, workplace accident liability, employment termination compensation claims, and business immigration. Key client sectors include media and entertainment, pharmaceutical and healthcare, consumer goods, IT and telecoms, transportation and energy. Pelin Baysal leads the team. Associates Beril Yayla Sapan and Asena Aytuğ Keser are also recommended.
‘Their advice is always very pragmatic and straight to the point.’
‘Beril Yayla Sapan is accessible, prompt and knowledgeable’
- Advised a medical equipment manufacturing company based in Britain on employment matters relating to employment terminations.
Hergüner Bilgen Özeke handles cross-border employment disputes, collective bargaining agreements, assistance with terminations, restructuring, and collective redundancies. Bige Yücel, who ‘has strong negotiation skills’, and commercial disputes specialist Ufuk Yalçın head the team. Recent highlights include assisting Bloomberg with matters including employment contracts, settlement agreements, and employee termination, and advising International Paper Olmuksan on a mass redundancy.
Bige Yücel; Ufuk Yalçın
‘Bige Yücel is experienced in litigations and collective labour agreements.’
‘Bige Yücel has strong negotiation skills.‘
International Paper Olmuksan
Granite Services International Inc.
Monster Energy Europe Limited
- Assisted Vibracoustic, which manufactures automotive technology, with collective bargaining negotiations with the Petrol-İş Union.
- Represented Foot Locker in three lawsuits and five pre-litigation mediation procedures brought by former employees.
- Advised International Paper Olmuksan on a mass lay-off.
Moroglu Arseven's dedicated employment practice provides a broad range of support in contentious and non-contentious matters. Key areas of work include strategic workforce management issues relating to corporate transactions and projects; day-to-day employee-related issues; disciplinary, termination and severance procedures; regulatory advice to international clients; anti-corruption, whistleblowing, privacy and data protection policy advice; and outsourcing and contracting arrangements. The practice also offers guidance on union relations and protests, stock option plans, ongoing employee benefit requirements and international immigration procedures and requirements. Practice head İpek Ünlü Tık has significant specialist experience in negotiations, disputes, disciplinary procedures and terminations.
İpek Ünlü Tık
- Provided a full range of employment counselling to DuPont Turkey and DuPont Pioneer.
- Supported Monopoli Sigorta, a Turkish insurance company, with employment compliance and risk assessment issues.
Balcıoğlu Selçuk Ardıyok Keki advises on business immigration, disciplinary procedures, employment handbooks, diversity and discrimination issues, incentive plans, internal investigations, collective disputes, restructurings and redundancies, and dispute mediation. Galip M. Selcuk heads the team. Counsel Gözde Manav Kılıçbeyli is noted for her ‘excellent work and analysis’. Clients include Toyota.
Galip M. Selçuk
‘Gözde Manav Kılıçbeyli has been able to turn around important projects very quickly.’
Toyota Tsusho Europe S.A. Turkey
Ersoy Bilgehan Lawyers & Consultants assists clients with recruitment and dismissal procedures, employee benefits, workplace accidents and safety, and employment matters arising from restructurings and other corporate transactions. The team, which is ‘quick to respond’, is headed by Ergun Ersoy. Clients include Gittigidiyor, a Turkish subsidiary of eBay.
‘They provide quality service in a timely manner with reasonable cost.’
‘They are quick to respond, understand our needs and questions, and can make to-the-point explanations in a reasonable period of time.’
Ebay Inc. (Gittigidiyor)
Yingli Green Energy
The Standard Club UK Ltd.
- Advised PayPal on the termination of contracts and structuring of employee benefits.
Esin Attorney Partnership, Member of Baker & McKenzie International advises local and multinational clients on litigation, immigration issues, collective terminations, restructurings and redundancies and terminating the employment of senior executives. The practice acts for clients in the technology, consumer goods, agriculture, financial and manufacturing sectors, as well as NGOs, charities and religious organisations. Senior associate Sertaç Kökenek, who has experience in compliance, leads the team. Elif Nur Çakır Vurgun is also noted.
Pelister Atayilmaz Enkur Law Office handles matters relating to collective redundancies, restructurings, outsourcing agreements, harmonisation procedures, disciplinary actions, employment termination procedures and residency permits. Emre Atayilmaz heads the team. Clients include Ralph Lauren and Almodo.
- Assisted Ralph Lauren with matters including drafting employment agreements and representation in cases brought by former employees.
- Advised Vepa Group, a retail and cosmetics company, on day-to-day employment issues.
- Advised Almodo, a textiles manufacturer, on day-to-day issues concerning employee contracts.
Erim Bener and Batuhan Şahmay lead the practice at Bener Law Office, which represents domestic and international clients in employment-related litigation. Matters include advice on compensation, benefits, pensions, occupational health and safety and whistle-blower investigations. The firm also has a specialised corporate immigration team.
Erim Bener; Batuhan Şahmay
Marks and Spencer
BTS & Partners advises on restructurings, outsourcing, stock option plans, restrictive covenants and obtaining work permits for employees. The team handles compliance work for multinational companies through referrals from international law firms. Selin Beceni and Zeynep Ünlü head the practice. Clients include Lenovo and British Telecom.
Selin Beceni; Zeynep Unlu
Bird & Bird LLP
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Instructed by Bird & Bird to advise on Turkish employment law matters, including employment terminations; regulatory and compliance issues; and global restructuring,
- Advised Lenovo on a retainer basis on matters including employment contracts; employee dismissal; employment disputes, including confidentiality agreements; and mediation over disputes.
- Assisted IGG Inc., a mobile games developer, with employment and consultancy contracts; health and safety legislation; and the hiring and termination of employees.
Moral & Partners handles general employment advice, compliance matters, and litigation and disputes work. The team acts for clients in the heavy industry, automotive, agriculture, logistics and textiles sectors. Efe Kinikoğlu and Sezai Moral lead the team with Özgür Güner, who is recommended for his ‘tactical knowledge’. New clients include Borusan Holding, a heavy industry manufacturing group.
Özgür Güner; Sezai Moral; Efe Kinikoğlu
‘Creative, enthusiastic, customer-oriented lawyers with good technical knowledge and excellent communication skills.’
‘We are impressed with the employment team’s commercial awareness and alternative solution production capability for complex employment law issues.’
- Advised Borusan Holding, a heavy industry conglomerate, on employment matters.
- Assisted Volkan Firefighting Vehicles with day-to-day employment advice.
- Represented Dinç Human Resources in employment litigation brought by former employees.
Paksoy advises on the dismissal of employees, drafting employment contracts and personnel handbooks, and handles matters relating to unions and collective bargaining. The ‘superb’ Elvan Aziz leads the team, which also includes senior associate Gülce Saydam Pehlivan.
‘Outstanding technical skills and a commercial approach to matters’
British American Tobacco
Save the Children Turkey
Dow Chemical Company
- Advised Save the Children Turkey on day-to-day employment matters, as well as representing the client in a re-employment lawsuit by a former employee.
- Advised Leica on employment issues, including on compliance-related matters.
- Acted for Cisco, a computer services company, on matters including employment termination procedures; internal procedures; and employment agreement templates.
Öncel, Aydın & Uygun Attorney Partnership assists clients with litigation, compliance and mediation. ‘Solution-oriented’ Buğra Aydın and Erman Öncel jointly head the practice. Clients include GlaxoSmithKline, Al Jazeera Media Network and Michael Page. In a recent highlight, the team advised on the revision of the HR and employment procedures of Sazcilar Otomotiv, a heavy industry company.
Buğra Aydın; Erman Öncel
‘Business-oriented legal solutions.’
Al Jazeera Media Network
Al Jazeera English and Al Jazeera Arabic Liaison Office
Page Group (Michael Page)
GÜBRETAŞ (Gübre Fabrikaları Türk A.Ş.)
- Assisting Al Jazeera Media Network with matters such as obtaining residence permits for employees; negotiating with the Ministry of Employment and Security; and handling employment-related disputes.
- Acted for the Turkish subsidiaries of GlaxoSmithKline in re-employment lawsuits initiated by former employees.
- Assisted Gübretaş, a fertiliser manufacturer, with a reorganisation of its labour force involving collective redundancies.
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership
Özdirekcan Dündar Senocak Attorney Partnership handles dismissal and recruitment procedures, mediation and litigation, settlement procedures, and the drafting of employee contracts. Ali Osman Ak leads the team. Highlights included representing Club Med in lawsuits initiated following workplace accidents.
Ali Osman Ak
Ak Gıda Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Groupe Lactalis)
Akdeniz Turistik Tesisler A.Ş. (Club Med)
Volvo Group Otomotiv Ticaret Ltd. Şti. (Volvo Trucks)
MDS AP Tech Yazılım Ürünleri ve Bilişim Hizmetleri Ticaret Ltd. Şti.
Ca Technologies Yazılım ve Bilişim Hizmetleri Limited Şirketi
- Advised Ak Gida, a dairy company, on employment matters.
- Advised Club Med employment law issues.
- Advised Volvo Trucks on day-to-day employment law matters.
ADMD/Mavioglu & Alkan Law Office provides support on service contracting, outsourcing, pension and benefit plans, employee terminations and employment arbitration and litigation. Dilara Tamtürk and Gökçe Şanlıerli jointly head the practice. Recent highlights include advising Minus Green, a local film production company, on drafting employee contracts for three feature films.
Dilara Tamturk; Gokce Sanlierli
- Advised on the employment aspects of an acquisition.
- Assisted a client on employment matters related to its investment in a new company which will provide programmes for preschools.
- Assisted an automotive parts producer, with employment matters relating to an acquisition.
Egemenoglu Law Firm handles issues such as disciplinary and termination procedures, collective bargaining, reviewing employment contracts, severance payments and wrongful terminations. Recent highlights include advising the Turkish subsidiary of Panasonic on a risk analysis of its employment practices, and negotiating on behalf of Saydam Fabrics with its employees’ trade union. Dilek Gürsan and Fazilet Karabacaklar jointly head the practice.
Dilek Gürsan; Fazilet Karabacaklar
DRD Fleet Leasing
Maysan Mando Automotive Parts
Onko Koçsel Pharmaceuticals
- Advised on negotiations for Saydam Fabrics with its recently unionised employees for collective bargaining agreements.
- Advised on day-to-day employment issues for Maysan Mando Automotive Stars.
- Acted as outside employment counsel for Panasonic’s Turkish subsidiary, on matters including the drafting and termination of employee contracts and conducting a risk analysis of the company’s employment practices.
Günbay Attorney Partnership
‘Knowledgeable, extremely responsive and flexible’ boutique firm Günbay Attorney Partnership provides advice on corporate compliance, immigration law, collective bargaining and health and safety law, handling both contentious and non-contentious matters. Ahu Pamukkale Gunbay, Duygu Abbasoğlu and Başar Kural lead the practice. New clients include the International Ship Suppliers Association and Kythera Capital.
Ahu Pamukkale Gunbay; Duygu Abbasoğlu; Başar Kural
Atlas Ship Supply
Finance In Motion GmbH
I Global Law
International Rescue Committee
International Ship Suppliers Association
International Sustainability and Development
Kar Automative Group
- Provided Erai Turkey, a consultancy and business management company, with day-to-day labour law advice.
- Advised Yandex on employment matters, such as settlement contracts following employee termination and health and safety matters.
- Provided NN Group, an insurance company, with day-to-day advice on employment matters.
Kolcuoglu Demirkan Koçakli advises on matters relating to collective bargaining, occupational health and safety, social security issues and work permit procedures. The practice also represents clients in employment disputes. Okan Demirkan, Serhan Koçaklı and counsel Maral Minasyan head the team, which is currently advising the Turkish subsidiaries of Hugo Boss on employment matters.
Okan Demirkan; Serhan Koçaklı; Maral Minasyan
‘Very experienced team with a high level of knowledge’
- Advised Deloitte on day-to-day employment matters.
- Provided Nutanix, a cloud computing software company, with day-to-day advice on its labour matters.
- Advised Demir Hayat, an insurance company, on providing a stock option plan for some employees.
The ‘flexible and solution-oriented’ team at Yavuz & Uyanik advises on litigation, employment contracts and collective labour agreements, with a particular niche in clients in the insurance sector. The ‘excellent’ Murat Uyanık and Çağlar Korkmaz jointly head the team. Clients include BNP Paribas Insurance, Vienna Insurance Group and Alcazar Energy Partners.
Murat Uyanık; Çağlar Korkmaz
‘Flexible and solution-oriented.’
BNP Paribas Cardif Hayat Sigorta A.Ş.
Gulf Sigorta A.Ş.
Alcazar Energy Partners
Azimut Portföy Yönetimi A.Ş.
Lukoil Eurasia Petrol A.Ş.
Ray Sigorta A.Ş. (Vienna Insurance Group)
Ergo Sigorta A.Ş. (Ergo International AG)
Teknik Alüminyum Sanayi A.Ş.
Türk Ekonomi Bankası A.Ş. (BNP Paribas Group)
L’oreal Türkiye Kozmetik San. ve Tic. A.Ş.
- Acted for Ontex, a personal hygiene company, on a collective bargaining agreement with its employees.
- Represented Gulf Sigorta A.Ş., an insurance company, in litigation over occupational accidents brought by employees.
- Advised BNP Paribas Cardif, an insurance group, on HR policies; employment contracts; and compliance with the Turkish Labour Code.
Yazici Attorney Partnership represents clients in domestic employment litigation, in matters including reinstatement, bonuses, severance and notice pay, overtime work, the violation of non-compete clauses in employment agreements, and employee injuries. Elif Karagözoğlu, Şener Özkan and İnci Akın jointly lead the team.
Elif Karagözoğlu; Şener Özkan; İnci Akın
Selex ES Electronic Turkey A.Ş.
Genel Energy PLC
Aviagen Anadolu Ana Damızlık Tavukçuluk Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Nüve Sanayi Malzemeleri İmalat ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Transatlantic Exploration Mediterranean International Pty. Ltd. Turkey Ankara Branch
Viking International Ltd.
Sicim-Yüksel-Akkord Joint Venture
- Advised Bosphorus Gas Corporation on labour law matters including drafting settlement protocols and risk analysis of employee termination.
- Acted for Turner International, a construction company, on matters such as the drafting and termination of employee contracts; compliance with Turkish labour law; and the provision of penalty clauses.
- Drafted employee contracts for Genetec, an IP surveillance and security management company, and advised on contract negotiations with employees.
YBK Law Firm in Cooperation with CMS advises on employment contracts, termination agreements, collective dismissals, employment disputes and restructuring. Döne Yalçın, who has extensive experience with collective redundancy procedures and internal investigations, heads the practice jointly with Alican Babalıoğlu.
Döne Yalçın; Alican Babalıoğlu
Ak-taş Dış Ticaret Anonim Şirketi
Else Moda Giyim Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Howden Broking Group Limited
- Advised Ak-taş Group on day-to-day employment issues, including reinstitution claims, redundancy and dismissal procedures and compliance matters.
- Advised Else Moda Giyim Sanayi ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi, a lingerie and loungewear manufacturer, on day-to-day employment matters.