Angara Abello Concepcion Regala & Cruz Law Offices (ACCRALaw) advises a client base of local Filipino companies and multinationals on labour issues, with a particular strength handling employers and unions. The practice also advises on redundancies and restructurings, as well as advising foreign companies on compliance with Filipino laws relating to contracting. The team is led by Clarence Darrow C Valdecantos, Neptali B Salvanera and managing partner Emerico De Guzman. Of counsel Emiterio C Manibog, Jr., Joy Leong-Pambid and Franchesca Abigail Gesmundo are also key figures in the practice.
Labour and employment in Philippines
Other key lawyers:
Coca-Cola Beverages Philippines, Inc.
Wells Fargo Enterprise Global Services, LLC-Philippines
Suzuki Philippines, Inc.
Fisher Rosemount Systems, Inc. (Phil. Branch)
ING Business Shared Services B.V. Branch Office
24-7 Intouch PH Inc.
Procter & Gamble Philippines
Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation
Sony Philippines, Inc.
Asahi Glass Company Ltd.
J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A. Manila Branch/J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, N.A.-Philippine Global Service Center
General Motors Automobiles Philippines, Inc.
Sun Life Financial Asia Services Limited
ePerformax Contact Centers & BPO
AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals (Phils), Inc.
LizardBear Tasking, Inc.
Proview Global Administration, Inc.
Inspiro Relia, Inc.
SC Reservations, Inc. (doing business under the name and style of IHG)
Denso Philippines Corporation
Chevron Philippines, Inc.
Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation
Unilever Philippines, Inc.
Glaxo SmithKline Philippines, Inc.
Masuma Food Industry, Inc.
- Assisted the Melco Resorts Leisure (PHP) Corporation (City of Dreams Manila) management in negotiations with the Union of Table Games Employees.
- Assisted Pilipinas Shell Petroleum Corporation in its recently concluded CBA negotiations with its union in its refinery located in Batangas.
- Assisted Chevron Philippines, Inc. with its recently concluded CBA negotiations with its union in its terminal at Batangas.
Martinez Vergara Gonzalez & Serrano acts for employers and employees in labour matters, including advising on redundancies, drafting of contracts, and disputes. On the employee side, the team recently acted for the representative organisation of Filipino footballers in a dispute with regarding whether the players are employees or independent contractors. The team is led by Reynaldo T. Dizon, who has almost 25 years' experience in labour law.
‘The partners in the firm are extremely responsive, personable, and knowledgeable in their field. Along with expert advice, they offer a personal touch that I haven’t experienced working with other law firms.’
‘All the individuals working at MVGS that I have encountered have been professional and easy to work with.’
Citigroup Business Processing Solutions, Pte., Ltd.
Ubiquity Global Services, Inc.
Teleperformance Global Services Philippines, Inc. (formerly Intelenet Global Philippines, Inc.)
ADP (Philippines) Inc.
Sixtrees Viz Comms Pte. Ltd
Visa Philippines Business Processing Center, Corp.
Fédération Internationale des Associations de Footballeurs Professionnels (FIFPro)
AO247 Fitness Management Consultancy, Inc.
Malayan Insurance Co., Inc.
Sungears Sales, Inc.
- Assisted AO247 with the structuring of its organisation in relation to the corporations it manages, the drafting and review of employment contracts, and advising on disciplinary proceedings over its employees.
- Acting for Fédération Internationale des Associations de Footballeurs Professionnels, commonly known as FIFPro, the worldwide representative organisation for professional football players, in a complaint for illegal dismissal and non-payment of salaries before the National Labor Relations Commission.
- Represented the local branch of Sixtrees Viz Comms Pte Ltd, a Singapore-based animation studio, in a complaint for illegal dismissal in the Philippines filed by one of its former employees before the National Labor Relations Commission.
Part of the global Baker McKenzie network, Quisumbing Torres advises on a broad range of employer-side labour law matters, both contentious and advisory. The firm’s client base includes domestic and multinational companies, while its work encompasses advising on redundancies, labour standards, the departures of senior executives, and employee misconduct claims. During the Covid-19 pandemic, the group has also advised on the implications of the Philippines’ Enhanced Community Quarantine measures, as well as issues related to reopening. Main contacts include Kenneth Chua, Gil Zerrudo, Eliseo Zuñiga, Jr, and Marianne Ko.
‘Swift and accurate response to legal issues and concerns is one of the biggest strengths of the Labour and Employment section of Baker McKenzie. They are very dependable when it comes to our company’s legal needs. They provide timely updates of our cases handled by them with in point strategies. The assessments they give of the status of the cases are very invaluable and helpful to us in determining our next steps for the case. On the side, they continuously conduct talks, seminars and awareness sessions on the latest laws, regulations and issuances which is quite useful to their clients.’
‘Eliseo Zuniga is very patient in dealing with clients and their numerous questions on the case. He is very well organised, makes himself available and is easy to talk to. I am very comfortable working with him and would highly recommend him as counsel.’
Takeda Pharmaceuticals Philippines, Inc.
Johnson & Johnson
UHS Essential Health Philippines, Inc.
Business Software Alliance
Potbelly Sandwich Shop
WD-40 Manufacturing Company
Brit-Phil Enterprise Limited / Sarapino Global Foods Limited
Novartis Social Business, Sandoz International GmBH
Alphabet (Google Inc)
SyCip Salazar Hernandez & Gatmaitan's broad labour and employment practice covers a diverse range of areas, including advising companies on updating employee handbooks to align with domestic law, representing clients in negotiations with unions, and contesting citations from the Department of Labor and Employment. The practice acts for local and multinational clients across a number of sectors. Dante Pamintuan leads the team, and is known for his work on unionisation drives; Amer Mambuay is another key contact, with a practice focusing on litigation. Other key figures in the team include Marianne Miguel and Leslie Dy.
ADP Philippines Inc.
Asian Development Bank
Boeing International Corporation
Cargill Philippines Inc.
Citi Savings Bank
Citizen Machinery Philippines, Inc.
ESS Manufacturing Company, Inc.
E-Trading Software Services
Firmenich Philippines, Inc.
Firstsource Solutions Limited – Philippine Branch
Fluor Daniel, Inc. – Philippines
Ford Group Philippines
Fordays Japan International, Inc.
G2 Ocean Ltd.-ROHQ
Gardenia Bakeries (Philippines), Inc.
Green Cross Inc.
HAVI Logistics Philippines Inc.
HCL Technologies Ltd.
Innodata Knowledge Philippines, Inc.
Isuzu Autoparts Manufacturing, Inc.
LF (Philippines), Inc.
Light Rail Manila Corporation
Medical Doctors, Inc. (Makati Medical Center)
Metropac Trucking Company, Inc.
OceanaGold (Philippines), Inc.
Omnicom Media Group – Philippines
Philippine American Life & General Insurance Company
Quantrics Enterprises, Inc.
- Assisted the Omnicom Media Group – Philippines in revising its employee handbook to conform with the latest developments in Philippine labour laws and to ensure compliance with all mandatory work policy requirements.
- Advised Fordays Japan International, Inc. on various employment matters, including representing the client before the National Labor Relations Commission (“NLRC”) in a complaint for constructive dismissal filed by its former employee; and updating its employee handbook and crafting employee policies to ensure it is in keeping with the developments in Philippine labour laws.
- Assisted in the carve out, transition and transfer of the different categories of employees in ABB’s power grid business that it sold to Hitachi, as well as assisting with the re-alignment of all employee benefits.
Gatmaytan Yap Patacsil Gutierrez & Protacio (C&G Law) acts for employers in contentious labour cases, as well as providing advice on a range of labour issues. The team is active in advising multinationals on ensuring that their hiring and contracting arrangements comply with domestic law, as well as on the employment implications of M&A and reorganisations. The practice is led by Cesar Santamaria Jr, who handles contentious and non-contentious matters; Vladi Miguel S. Lazaro is the other partner in the team and specialises in labour disputes. Associate Katrine Paula Suyat advises on issues including employment termination and employment policy handbooks.
‘The team is responsive and knowledgeable. They are also able to give practical advice, incorporating commercial considerations, assisting the client to have more nuanced advice.’
‘We are extremely satisfied C&G Law’s services. C&G Law is very dependable and they are always available to address our concerns. They have been very responsive and proactive and their team is well-staffed and well-trained. Their client service is outstanding. They certainly have commercial awareness and offer practical but legal solutions to issues. We derive excellent value for money from them.’
American Express International, Inc.
Arcadis / Hyder Consulting Middle East Limited
Brenntag Ingredients, Inc.
CalEnergy International Services, Inc.
Canon Marketing (Philippines), Inc.
CEVA Logistics Singapore Pte. Ltd.
Charoen Pokphand Foods Philippines Corporation
China National Offshore Oil Corporation
Daiwa House Industry Co., Ltd.
Dampskibsselskabet NORDEN A/S
Dell Global BV
Evyap Sabun PH Distribution, Inc.
Fieldcore Services Solutions International LLC
Givaudan Singapore Pte. Ltd.
InterGlobe Technologies Philippines, Inc.
Juul Labs Singapore Holdco Pte. Ltd.
Kalbe International Pte. Ltd.
Kitz Corporation of Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Lixil Philippines Ltd. Co., Inc.
Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems Asia Pacific Pte. Ltd.
Moet Hennessy Philippines, Inc.
OceanaGold Philippines, Inc.
OEP Philippines, Inc.
PACC Shipping Philippines, Inc.
Pepsi Cola Products Philippines, Inc.
Software One Philippin
- Representing a client in relation to inspection and enforcement proceedings conducted by the Department of Labor and Employment in respect of its contracting arrangements.
- Advised a client on the employment-related effects of the merger of its two operating Philippine entities, including assisting with employment status and union membership.
- Advised a client on the validity of its existing staffing arrangements.
Gorriceta Africa Cauton & Saavedra provides comprehensive employment law advice to corporate clients, in addition to representing clients in contentious labour disputes. The practice has also recently been engaged in advising companies entering the market on compliance with labour regulations. Ramon Andre Cedro leads the team; noted for his litigation work, he also handles non-contentious matters.
Business Process Outsourcing International, Inc.
Regent Foods Corporation
Javier Project Managers
Led by Alejandro Alfonso Navarro, Villaraza & Angangco (V&A Law)'s labour practice represents multinationals and local companies in sectors including technology, law and logistics. The team acts as sole counsel to prominent international companies including Amazon, handling contentious and non-contentious work including the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. In addition to Navarro, associate Rashel Ann Pomoy is also a key figure in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Amazon Operation Services Philippines, Inc.
Autodesk Asia PTE. LTD. (Philippines Representative Office)
Seyfarth Shaw LLP
LF Philippines, Inc.
Tata Consultancy Services, (Philippines), Inc.
Tropical Focus Philippines, Inc.
- Advising Amazon Operation Services Philippines, Inc. on employment issues, including representing the client in litigation.
- Defended the validity of the ASEAN Regionwide Restructuring implemented by Autodesk Asia Pte. Ltd., which has a potential impact in excess of $190,000.
- Served as the local counsel of Twitter, Inc. and provided the client with various regulatory advice over the past year concerning different aspects of its operations in the Philippines.
Belo Gozon Elma Parel Asuncion & Lucila
Led by Elmar B. Galacio, Cruz Marcelo & Tenefrancia advises domestic companies and multinationals on labour and employment matters. The team has a particular specialism in advising on matters related to collective bargaining agreements between companies and unions. They are also active in assisting firms, particularly multinationals, with ensuring that their labour contracts comply with domestic law. Galacio is known for his work in arbitration, and is also experienced in sitting as an arbitrator. Rogelio Torres, Jr is another key partner in the team.
Other key lawyers:
Technological Institute of the Philippines
Samsung Electronics Philippines Corporation
Quality Corrugated Box Manufacturing Corporation
Collabera Technologies Private Limited, Inc.
Formula Sports Inc.
Specialist shipping and marine firm Del Rosario & Del Rosario provides labour advice to clients active in the Philippines' substantial shipping industry. Recent work includes advising Princess Cruises on Filipino crew claims related to the quarantine of the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan due to an outbreak of Covid-19. Joseph Rebano, Herbert Tria and Saben Loyola are the key contacts.
‘They are long term partners; very professional in handling all kind of claims; very competent lawyers; provide an immediate response to all inquiries; reachable 24/7; always willing to help; a very good reputation.’
JPIA & Tokio Marine
Colombia Ship management
- Advised M/V Front Alter on Filipino seafarer claims and benefits regarding an attack on a vessel at the Gulf of Oman.
- Advised Princess Cruises on Filipino crew claims and benefits following the quarantine of the M/V Diamond Princess in Japan due to a Covid-19 outbreak.
Poblador Bautista & Reyes
Poblador Bautista & Reyes's employment team advises a broad range of clients on matters across the spectrum of employment law. The team is particularly active in representing companies in disputed dismissals. The practice is led by Romeo Johann Fernandez and Deogracias Fellone, who have considerable experience in this area, in both contentious and non-contentious employment law. Anzen Dy is another key partner in the team.
Other key lawyers:
ISS Facility Services Philippines, Inc.
Plan International, Inc.
Energy Development Corporation
SGV & Co. (EY Philippines)
EY Global Services Philippines, Inc.
Unisys Philippines, Inc.
Asian Hospital, Inc.
Denso Techno Philippines, Inc.
AC Energy Philippines, Inc.
The Eight Group of Companies
- Represented ISS Facility Services Philippines, Inc. in its disputed employment contract termination of its country manager.
- Represented SGV & Co. in the disputed employment contract termination of a senior associate and assistance in issues arising from secondment of its employees or staff to Ernst & Young offices worldwide.
- Advised the Energy Development Corporation on implementing its manpower reduction programme.
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso
Quiason Makalintal Barot Torres Ibarra Sison & Damaso is active across the spectrum of labour law, and is particularly noted for its work on union-related matters including strikes, collective bargaining agreements and certification elections.
Romulo Mabanta Buenaventura Sayoc & De Los Angeles's broad labour practice encompasses advice on collective bargaining, health and safety regulations, non-compete agreements, and sexual harassment in the workplace.